This is the story of the Blackberry Storm and the Disappearing Keyboard...

...like some of you I'm trying to adapt to many of the Storm's nuisances but there are two things that are just irking the **** out of me.

How many of you have began to write a text or a long e-mail, and just about half way through the keyboard vanishes! It just drops off the screen. Yes I know its easy to pull the keyboard back up with the click of the menu button and scrolling but let me tell you what not so easy. 90% of the time when the keyboard drops off and you pull it back up, it doesn't start where you left out. You either have to click to get it back in the right place (which can be a pain in the ***) or tap and scroll (which is hit or miss, whenever it wants to work).

The biggest irk of them all. PHANTOM SCROLLING. By a show of hands from those same people with the dissapearing keyboard, how many of you when trying to bring the keyboard back up is stuck at the bottom of the page, attempting to scroll up only to be stuck in the same spot...over and over and over and over...AHHHHHHHHH...I want to throw this thing out the window when it does that. Now I have to back away from the screen, save the document, open it back up, and attempt to re-focus on the task at hand. It gets really frustrating at times.

*sigh*

Well, I feel better now. Just wanted to get that off my chest. I'm dealing with it, so take it how you want. Flame me, call me a troll, whatever...I don't care...

Oh, and yes I'm runnning .75
    I don't do leaked OS'...IMO, its a waste of time.
    02-02-09 10:20 PM
    Right. You're having problems that make you want to physically harm the device, and yet you refuse to even try out some software that is approx. 2 months newer than what you're using, and probably fixes the problems you're complaining about.

I've never experienced the disappearing keyboard, nor the stuck scrolling. Then again, I only ran .75 for a week or two before the next leak came out. You can only whine and complain so much when you're refusing to use a resource that's available to you to try and resolve the problem. Because it's a "waste of time," while endless ranting about your device and suffering through the bugginess isn't a waste of time at all.
    02-03-09 12:36 AM
    You do realise that if you slide down the keyboard, it will minimize it, right?
    02-03-09 12:43 AM
    You do realise that if you slide down the keyboard, it will minimize it, right?
    True.

@ Jeremy W.

Leaked Betas shouldn't be released in the first place. Yeah its good they are but if it was not for someone taking the risk to leak them i'm sure you wold be singing a different tune.
    02-03-09 01:21 AM
    Leaked Betas shouldn't be released in the first place. Yeah its good they are but if it was not for someone taking the risk to leak them i'm sure you wold be singing a different tune.
    And if I never bought the Storm, I wouldn't be posting here right now. Who cares? The fact is that the leaks occur, and they're there to be taken advantage of. If one chooses not to, they have no one to blame but themselves.
    02-03-09 01:23 AM
    So just swipe back up to being the keyboard back up and everything is fine and dandy and in the same spot?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 01:33 AM
    And if I never bought the Storm, I wouldn't be posting here right now. Who cares? The fact is that the leaks occur, and they're there to be taken advantage of. If one chooses not to, they have no one to blame but themselves.
    Are you serious? RIM/VZW are the ones to blame for .65 and .75 being laggy. You shouldn't be forced to load buggy beta OS leaks (which again should not be released/leaked) hoping to get a device you payed for working properly. He has every right to complain about .75 and if he chooses not to load a leaked beta that his call.
    02-03-09 01:34 AM
    You shouldn't be forced to load buggy beta OS leaks
    The complaint is that the official version is buggy. So what's it going to hurt? He decides the beta is too buggy, and goes back to the official version? Oh my, what a terrible burden.
    He has every right to complain about .75 and if he chooses not to load a leaked beta that his call.
    He can complain to a point, and I believe he has passed that point.
    02-03-09 01:50 AM
    I agree with you. It wouldn't hurt to try one of the betas. Or maybe it will. (my friends 9530 was 'bricked' all day yesterday updating to .99)

My basic point was its he's not the one to blame if he chooses to stick with .75 that's all. Anyway it's 4.00AM in the morning here. Have a good night dude.
    02-03-09 02:02 AM
    Weird...I had the same problem with .75...I "did" the whole leaked OS thing and it never happened to me since. The last time that happened to me was probably sometime in mid December.

You can also just put your finger at the bottom of the screen and slide it halfway up the screen quickly and it causes the screen to re-appear.

Also if you slide your finger down the keyboard quickly it'll cause it to disappear...which may be whats causing your problem in the first place.
    02-03-09 07:34 AM
    Are you serious? RIM/VZW are the ones to blame for .65 and .75 being laggy. You shouldn't be forced to load buggy beta OS leaks (which again should not be released/leaked) hoping to get a device you payed for working properly. He has every right to complain about .75 and if he chooses not to load a leaked beta that his call.
    Of course he has a right to complain and we have a right to criticize him for being so close minded.

You can always install the latest OS and if you don't like it...go back to .75.

But trying something that would, most likely, fix his problem is a waste of his time, ranting about it apparently isn't. I like the rationale there.
    02-03-09 07:37 AM
    So now the flaming is going to start against Storm owners who opt not to installed a leaked OS?

Gawd, this chronic bashing is so tiring.

Trey, I hear you.
    My keyboard will disappear mid sentence, and no, it won't slide back up again. I have to hit BB button>show keyboard.

But hopefully those of us who opt to exercise our perfectly legitimate right not to use a leaked OS will be covered in the official OS release, and all will be well.
    02-03-09 08:10 AM
    So now the flaming is going to start against Storm owners who opt not to installed a leaked OS?

Gawd, this chronic bashing is so tiring.

Trey, I hear you.
    My keyboard will disappear mid sentence, and no, it won't slide back up again. I have to hit BB button>show keyboard.

But hopefully those of us who opt to exercise our perfectly legitimate right not to use a leaked OS will be covered in the official OS release, and all will be well.
    Its not flaming. You're more than welcome to rant and express your frustrations.

Its my right to tell you that you're wasting time complaining and not trying to actually fix the problem. It's a very large waste in time especially when you know that this issue does not exist in the latest OS (or any OS after .76 really). Don't want to try a leaked OS thats fine. It's just silly to then complain about glitches. It sucks that it takes so long for VZW to officially release these leaked OS's but VZW wants to make sure only the most solid OS builds are officially released.

What'd you expect? Us to band together, shed some tears, and tell you how sorry we are?
    02-03-09 08:45 AM
    I get the same thing Trey - you'll be typing and then your cursor just moves itself and the keyboard dissapears - Kinda annoying sometimes....

It really pisses me off when I'm playing word mole too - I hit letters I never wanted to hit, etc...

I'm glad to hear that the new LEAKED OS's fix this, but telling someone that it's their own fault for installing a piece of software that isn't even supposed to be public is not a valid excuse or answer to the problem. I, for one, do not want to deal with the hassle of having to do the workaround, nor do I wish to brick my BB and have to deal with that if it happens. Saying that you should use the leaked software and that you're dumb for not is like telling someone with financial troubles to go rob a bank - yea, it will fix the problem, but it's not the right thing to do.
    02-03-09 09:21 AM
    I get the same thing Trey - you'll be typing and then your cursor just moves itself and the keyboard dissapears - Kinda annoying sometimes....

It really pisses me off when I'm playing word mole too - I hit letters I never wanted to hit, etc...

I'm glad to hear that the new LEAKED OS's fix this, but telling someone that it's their own fault for installing a piece of software that isn't even supposed to be public is not a valid excuse or answer to the problem. I, for one, do not want to deal with the hassle of having to do the workaround, nor do I wish to brick my BB and have to deal with that if it happens. Saying that you should use the leaked software and that you're dumb for not is like telling someone with financial troubles to go rob a bank - yea, it will fix the problem, but it's not the right thing to do.
    I never said it was dumb not to install them. It's your right to not get it done (although its not a big deal at all). Most bricks happen with user error or a computer just happening to malfunction during the process.

If you don't want to dl leaked OS's, you can complain about problems if you want to, leaked OS's have addressed many of these issues, especially the latest as I've had 0 issues with it plus the QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode is nice too.

My point is, why bother complaining and that upgrading OS's is a "waste of time"? I happen to think complaining about something that you don't want to fix or even try to fix the issue.

And your example isn't exactly accurate. How is installing a leaked OS compariable to robbing a bank? Installing a leaked OS is by no means illegal nor is it morally wrong so your example doesn't work at all.

This thread is more like me complaining that my car has trouble starting and saying that getting it diagnosted is a "waste of time" so the OP would rather just spend his energy complaining about it.
    02-03-09 11:49 AM
    Huh?

I'm using .75 and have never experienced a magically disappearing keyboard.
    02-03-09 11:51 AM
    I did, granted I only had .75 for a week or so before another OS was available.

It really was pretty annoying. Glad the issue was quickly resolved.
    02-03-09 11:54 AM
    I have had the same - both the disappearing keyboard (NOT from my finger pulling down/ minimizing) and the never-ending repeating scroll issue. Still running original .76. Doesn't happen every day but does several times a week.
    .99 is sounding better all the time ... hmmmm... wait for official release or jump in....
    02-03-09 12:20 PM
    I, for one, do not want to deal with the hassle of having to do the workaround, nor do I wish to brick my BB and have to deal with that if it happens.
    What are you talking about? The process for installing a leaked OS is exactly the same as the process for installing an official OS. There are no hacks, no workarounds, nothing special. There is no increased chance of bricking the phone. It's just like any other release, except Verizon hasn't put their seal of approval on it.

Also, I like how the OP has (so far) not responded to anyone in this thread. Post and run.
    02-03-09 03:05 PM
    If this is me complaining maybe I need anger management? Or maybe a hobby? Or a job? Who knows?

Lol

02-03-09 03:28 PM
    If this is me complaining maybe I need anger management? Or maybe a hobby? Or a job? Who knows?

Lol

You need a job? How are you with java? Looks like there are some programmers needed in Canada. This little company called... RIM.
    02-03-09 11:18 PM
    Might look into that. Thanks.

Edit: Oh and Jeremy, I was just waiting for the lamest reply to this thread and guess what, YOU'RE THE WINNER!

Congratulations, your prize awaits here Grand Prize

Cheers!
    Last edited by TreyDaPrince; 02-04-09 at 02:20 PM.
    02-04-09 01:33 PM
    I'm running .75 as well and have the same issue. It's very annoying I think I type too fast for the storm to keep up so the keyboard flips out and the little clock thing shows up and the keyboard disappears and it is very annoying waiting for the phone to catch up and then getting the keyboard back

I also do not want to put a leaked OS on my phone, does that make me a bad person?
    02-04-09 03:45 PM
    you're not a bad person for not wanting a leaked OS, but right now, the only solution to your problem (if you actually want to solve it as opposed to just ranting for the sake of ranting) is to try a 'leaked os'.

dont like it? im sorry to hear. hundreds of users are running 'leaked' OSes no trouble, many of which with fewer bugs than the version verizon supports.
    02-04-09 04:04 PM
    you're not a bad person for not wanting a leaked OS, but right now, the only solution to your problem (if you actually want to solve it as opposed to just ranting for the sake of ranting) is to try a 'leaked os'.

dont like it? im sorry to hear. hundreds of users are running 'leaked' OSes no trouble, many of which with fewer bugs than the version verizon supports.
    Thanks snork. You sir know what you're talkin about. If you actually READ my ENTIRE post, I was asking for a show of hands of those that has the keyboard disappearing act. Not your so called solution. It was more like a poll. So maybe next time I should just state that instead of listening to these 40 year old social rejects lecturing me on Blackberries.

Thanks again sork. At least someone gets it.

02-04-09 08:02 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD