I currently have a Storm on Verizon...love it...but i want to get it "ColorWared" but cant give it up for 2 weeks. So i buy a new Storm without a contract and send it out.
    Question is this....is there a benefit to buy an "unlocked" unit (in the case i want to use it on AT&T) or do i just stick with a Verizon unit without a contract?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 04:34 PM
    Umm you kinda answered your own question...
    Locked Verizon
    Unlocked ATT...

Mine is unlocked on Verizon for travel purposes. If you don't leave the country.. no need to unlock it on Verizon.

Unlocking is needed to put it on another carrier...
    02-14-09 05:16 PM
    How does it affect coverage if its unlocked and traveling out of the country?

02-14-09 06:09 PM
    How does it affect coverage if its unlocked and traveling out of the country?

"unlocked" only means that the software restrictions that prevent you from activating OSP SIM cards to use in your storm has been disabled. if your phone is locked the OSP SIM card won't be recognized. by unlocking your storm you can go to europe and use a local prepaid SIM card to use your one device, and make/recieve calls.
    no guarantee data will work with unlocked phone int'l, but you get all your apps and shiny clicky screen. if you only want to use it domestically then go for it. options are cool.

HOWEVER...
    if you buy the phone from VZW and you activate it there is a minimum 1 yr contract you agree to for your phone number they assign to you. you will still eligible for your new customer discount whenever you want it. you don't get your NE2 credit until after 20 months from your new customer discount.
    so pay full retail + 1 year contract
    OR
    get discount + 2 year discount + variable ETF if you cancel early

spoken like a true VZW rep or what?
    02-14-09 07:29 PM
    unlocked is freedom
    02-14-09 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD