i notice that if my storm is laying flat on my desk and i click the screen, it doesnt come on. but if i hit the menu button it comes on. if its laying flat the touch screen is unresponsive..anyone know why?
    01-03-09 03:54 PM
    Mine appears to have this same issue at times. It would seem that this is a screen click issue.
    01-03-09 03:58 PM
    Noticed that with mine too... but.. just a touch and she's back. Usually happens when I am hooked up to PC.
    01-03-09 04:05 PM
    thats odd, mine has never done that to me
    01-03-09 04:07 PM
    Its how the touch screen works. It needs to have current from your hand and finger to work. If its laying flat and you touch the side and push the screen it will work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 04:11 PM
    Its how the touch screen works. It needs to have current from your hand and finger to work. If its laying flat and you touch the side and push the screen it will work.

01-03-09 04:12 PM
    my phone is currently laying flat on a pack of guitar strings and clicking the screen works just fine, there does not need to be a current from your hand. if im not mistaken the touch sensitive part of the screen is sensitive to the warmth of your touch, and the clicking is just a button under the screen.
    01-03-09 04:15 PM
    hmmm..just tested this on mine and yeah....mine does NOT respond if i try to click it on, but the back button works to turn it on
    01-03-09 05:06 PM
    Same with mine. Sometimes it responds and sometimes it doesn't. No big deal, still works great.

01-03-09 05:16 PM

not true..
    01-03-09 06:00 PM
    I've noticed if you rest your finger on the screen before clicking it...it works. If that fails, you could always pick it up
    01-03-09 06:05 PM
    mine is laying flat on its back on my desk, if i click anywhere on it, it will come on,havent had an issue with it not turning on yet,

only thing ive noticed is it cant decide if it wants to be in landscape or portrait mode when i click it, i guess it depends on wich direction i set it down in, itll reopen in that window.
    01-03-09 06:07 PM
    mine wakes up ok when flat and screen is pressed.
    01-03-09 06:12 PM
    actually i think that it is an issue that ppl are having due to the screen click fix. I think what happens is the grounds that are under the back cover don't ground out all the way and you only end up completing the circuit when the phone is in your hand. Do those of you with this issue have anything under the battery cover? I have the same issue and removed the cards in back because my screen isn't terrible and i can deal withut having those in there and now it responds when i am not holding it.
    01-03-09 06:34 PM
    actually i think that it is an issue that ppl are having due to the screen click fix. I think what happens is the grounds that are under the back cover don't ground out all the way and you only end up completing the circuit when the phone is in your hand. Do those of you with this issue have anything under the battery cover? I have the same issue and removed the cards in back because my screen isn't terrible and i can deal withut having those in there and now it responds when i am not holding it.
    I have nothing under the battery cover and mine doesnt turn on when lying flat (works with buttons though) but if I put it in my hard case, which is what I do before I go out anywhere, it will work...weird huh
    01-03-09 06:48 PM
    I'm finding that mine works no matter how I try to wake it up. I do get a lag when I try to unlock it. since I use a bluetooth 90% of the time, I can accept the lag.
    01-03-09 07:17 PM
    Mine doesn't do that.

01-03-09 07:19 PM
    Has anyone else had the issue of the phone not making an audibe alert when the phone is laying down? I have had many SMS msgs and calls go un-noticed when the phone is laying flat, but if I prop the phone on something, I am alerted.
    01-03-09 07:34 PM
    Hmm...well i still think it has something to do with those grounds. Maybe the backplate is warped on yours. But i know it isn't a software issue because i have had the same phone, and multiple OS's and for the first couple days without a card i remember it working. But after i heard about the click fix and not being satisfied with the way the screen clicked i put in the card. Since then, tho i didn't realize it right away, it would only work if it were in my hand. Then after a couple sofware updates i took the card out and it worked fine. Thats when i finally realized what was causing the issue. I put it in and took it out a couple of times and that seemed to be the cause. I have also since downgraded to .76 from .85 and its still the same thing. Works with it out and not with it in. It seems that if the back is bowed up at all too, that can cause it not to properly complete the circuit.
    01-03-09 07:47 PM
    Ah great, I was just about to start a new thread about this problem, but found this thread instead. The mockery and ridicule can be saved for the next time...

I too have this problem at times, but what's even more annoying is that I get the same problem when my Storm is in my window mount in my car. Often times (probably 40-50% I'd guess) I have to literally take the phone out of the mount just to get a response.

Small potatoes in the overall scheme of things, but still an annoyance.
    01-30-09 12:11 AM
    Same thing is happening to me...the touchscreen is unresponsive when my phone is on a table and not in my hand...if I plug it into the charger it magically starts working though. Any ideas?
    01-30-09 03:12 AM
    I Got my storm a week ago, it did not turn on if lying flat on a desk and i touched it.

However i have since had a replacement, and this one DOES respond doing the same thing to it.

This must just be a random thing, might get sorted in the future i guess.
    01-30-09 05:55 AM
    It's an interesting "issue". All of my phones have exhibited it at some point.

I use a Car Dash Moint and the screen doesn't allow for click selection unless I am also touching the side/back of the phone.

Oddly, at least 2 of the phones worked out-of-the-box and then stopped.

The grounding idea is intriguing; the first phone stopped when I skinned it, but the new one is neither skinned nor is there anyhting under the battery cover fixing (LOL) the click problem.

I am not 100% sold that it isn't OS or software related, I just have no idea where to start looking for a cause. I wish I had tried my last "return" after I wiped it back to .75 clean.
    01-30-09 07:52 AM
    Think about it, if the back needed to be in contact with your hand then the silicone covers would be useless.
    01-30-09 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD