I searched and could not find any info about this issue. I usually leave my ring settings on normal, which is vibrate and ring. It keeps changing back to vibrate only. I thought initially it was because I carry it in my pocket and maybe the sound icon is getting bumped somehow, so I started locking the screen. Still does it. Also, the vibrate option requires scrolling down three levels to change to it from the normal setting, so it's virtually impossible that it always goes to this setting, and nothing in between.

Is there a default or similar option I'm missing, or just one of the quirks of this phone? There are no current updates if I check, and I have shut it off and removed the battery to reset a few times, no changes. Sometimes it'll change several times a day and others it'll stay a day or two.

Just before typing this I got the single vibrate, and it had changed itself again, just sitting on the desk. Current update is 4.7.0.75

Any ideas?

Jody
    Last edited by camcojb; 01-02-09 at 04:11 PM.
    01-02-09 02:34 PM
    So the actual active profile is changing, or the settings appear to change in normal? You may need to wipe the device and reload the OS....
    01-02-09 02:37 PM
    So the actual active profile is changing, or the settings appear to change in normal? You may need to wipe the device and reload the OS....
    it actually changes the setting in the phone; you get the little round green circle with V in it up on the sound icon at the upper left corner of the screen. You scroll down to the sounds tab and it's set on vibrate again.

Jody
    Last edited by camcojb; 01-02-09 at 04:11 PM.
    01-02-09 02:40 PM
    thats because if you hold the bottom at the top right of the phone., it turns on vibrate only. even if the phone is locked. try it, youll see.
    01-02-09 03:59 PM
    thats because if you hold the bottom at the top right of the phone., it turns on vibrate only. even if the phone is locked. try it, youll see.
    you lost me.................. hold the bottom at the top right? I can't make it switch to vibrate unless I manually change it.

Jody
    01-02-09 04:07 PM
    ok, you're talking about the button at the upper right, opposite of the lock button. That only changes it if the phone is locked, doesn't do anything on mine if unlocked. Thing is, this thing has switched just sitting still.

Jody
    01-02-09 04:11 PM
    ah ok, i think you said you tried a battery pull right? If not, do that right away.

Other thing, do you have any kind of automatic profiles or anything set?
    01-02-09 04:27 PM
    ok just re-read your first post, you already did a battery pull. do another for good measure some people have issues that have taken 3 or 4 pulls to fix ( i know makes no sense but hey its BB)

i was positive this was your issue. you sure its doing it when your phone is not locked? cause mine kept doing this and it was driving me nuts, and then i found out about that button and thats what it was. and yes i was refering to the hard button opposite the lock button.

also, a magnet can put it into holster mode which can turn on vibrate only if the phone is on silent, yeah i know far fetched but something has gotta make sense here.

you have any magnets (or speakers) near the phone or in your pocket?
    01-02-09 04:30 PM
    ah ok, i think you said you tried a battery pull right? If not, do that right away.

Other thing, do you have any kind of automatic profiles or anything set?
    yes, I tried the battery deal. No profile changes, did use one of my songs as the ringtone.

Not that big of a deal, I can live with it. Just hoping there was a simple solution.

Thanks!

Jody
    01-02-09 04:31 PM
    ok just re-read your first post, you already did a battery pull. do another for good measure some people have issues that have taken 3 or 4 pulls to fix ( i know makes no sense but hey its BB)

i was positive this was your issue. you sure its doing it when your phone is not locked? cause mine kept doing this and it was driving me nuts, and then i found out about that button and thats what it was. and yes i was refering to the hard button opposite the lock button.

also, a magnet can put it into holster mode which can turn on vibrate only if the phone is on silent, yeah i know far fetched but something has gotta make sense here.

you have any magnets (or speakers) near the phone or in your pocket?
    no magnets. Yeah, that button is dead unless the phone is locked. I'll try the battery again, can't hurt.

Jody
    01-02-09 04:35 PM
    ok 2 things

1) try the latest leaked update. 4.7.0.85. its a leak so its not official but its tried and tested and works well. there are a few bugs but mostly minor ones that crop up after a couple days of use. of course, only if you are comfortable doing it, but its real easy and the chances of hosing your device are real low.

2) consider posting this in the storm forum. all of us storm guys hang out over there, you will get ALOT more people helping with your problem then. Actually I will help you out and ask a mod to move this thread since we already covered alot in it that people would need to read (cause they will assume the things i assumed)

sound good?

EDIT: i just asked the mods to move this to the storm forum.

also the leaked 4.7.0.85 that i think you should try and instructions for flashing it are also in the storm forum.
    01-02-09 04:51 PM
    ok 2 things

1) try the latest leaked update. 4.7.0.85. its a leak so its not official but its tried and tested and works well. there are a few bugs but mostly minor ones that crop up after a couple days of use. of course, only if you are comfortable doing it, but its real easy and the chances of hosing your device are real low.

2) consider posting this in the storm forum. all of us storm guys hang out over there, you will get ALOT more people helping with your problem then. Actually I will help you out and ask a mod to move this thread since we already covered alot in it that people would need to read (cause they will assume the things i assumed)

sound good?

EDIT: i just asked the mods to move this to the storm forum.

also the leaked 4.7.0.85 that i think you should try and instructions for flashing it are also in the storm forum.
    well, I apologize for that. Kinda embarrassing since I admin or moderate several car forums, and should know to look before I leap. Sorry about that.

I'll check out that new update, thanks again for the help.

Jody
    01-02-09 05:26 PM
    lol nothing to apologize about! i was just trying to get you more info, since your problem is storm specific, this is the better place.

a mod moved it for you, so you should be all set.

def. check out the update, desktop manager wont download it for you though, you gotta download the leak from a link you can get here somewhere (check the leak thread for starters) and then you instlal the leak, then desktop manager will find the update and let you install it.

64 chevelle twin turbo LS2? hold crap that sounds awesome.

12.75 quarter mile sounds good too. do you have pictures? my friend loves muscle cars too and would like to check that out.l
    01-02-09 05:35 PM
    mine has done this before as well, many times. it seems to not do it on .85 anymore.

It would always do it to me when in holster and would vibrate to say it had moved to vibrate mode. I couldn't figure out why because I knew no buttons were being hit. I'd open my phone to see if i got an email and would realize there was nothing but the phones status changing to vibrate.

morale of story......get .85
    01-02-09 05:50 PM

64 chevelle twin turbo LS2? hold crap that sounds awesome.

12.75 quarter mile sounds good too. do you have pictures? my friend loves muscle cars too and would like to check that out.l
    the 12.75 is for my Duramax 4X truck, not the Chevelle. The truck is getting ready to go 11's as we speak. The Chevelle is over 1000 hp, and a lot of fun. There's some pics in the link in my sig, but I've got several hundred pics of the Chevelle I need to add to my website, just haven't taken the time. Here's a couple, hope it's okay to post them here:

Jody
    Last edited by camcojb; 01-02-09 at 05:59 PM.
    01-02-09 05:51 PM
    installed the new .85 update and so far, so good. If nothing else the phone is faster, so it's worth it for that only.

Jody
    01-02-09 07:45 PM
    mine does this on .85 as well...I will just be sitting around and all of a sudden ill feel my phone vibrate and when i take it out of the holster it shows no messages but the profile has change to vibrate lol...its the phantom profile switcher
    01-02-09 08:09 PM
    mine did it tonight. and it wouldnt be a problem if the phone went to vibrate by some unknown key combo or period of time you have to depress a key..... if the phone actually vibrated enough that you can feel it through more than a tshirt.

RIM dropped the ball with the vibe motor on the Storm. Recall and refurb is what I say.

edit:
    and i have .85 installed
    Last edited by wouldya; 01-05-09 at 11:20 PM.
    01-05-09 11:01 PM
    I tried this as well and with my storm in the holster if I hold the mute button it puts the profile in the vibrate profile.
    01-07-09 10:00 AM
    update: mine has not done it since I swapped to the .85 update. However, the phone locked up a few days ago, had a partial Verizon screen and nothing worked. Would not turn off (showed that it was but never did). Pulled the battery and re-started, still locked.

So I reverted back to .75 and the phone worked fine again. The vibrate issue has not returned.

Jody
    01-07-09 10:24 AM
    yeah same here it really pisses me off. i think it only happens in the holster. and no, there isnt any buttons hitting it. it just goes in v.mode by itself. i just evenyually got sick of it and made the vibrate mode the same as my normal mode and made my silent mode the vib mode lol.
    01-22-09 03:05 AM
    that button never worked for me until today... lol
    01-22-09 03:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD