Very telling review. The following quote says it all: "...the Storm isn't finished."

Review: Touch-Screen Blackberry Storm Gets Mixed Verdict -- InformationWeek
    11-24-08 09:48 AM
    I believe this is true, i actually spoke to a vzw rep and they said the reason why only 2 million phones were released is because the phone was not ready for production. She said 50 million people actually wanted the phone, the software was not up to date, the next software upgrade as she told me will be released on the 8th of next month....
    11-24-08 09:54 AM
    That review in no way coincides with my personal experience with the phone. I don't know what is up with all the bum review units.
    11-24-08 09:56 AM
    mine works great too.
    11-24-08 10:03 AM
    mine works great too.
    +1 for me too
    11-24-08 10:21 AM
    Have had no issues with my Storm. I found that I type 100x faster on my Storm then I ever did on my Curve. Sure there are things that could use some tweaking but what device couldn't? I think RIM did a great job on this phone.
    11-24-08 10:28 AM
    Have had no issues with my Storm. I found that I type 100x faster on my Storm then I ever did on my Curve. I say sure there are things that could use some tweaking but what device couldn't? I think RIM did a great job on this phone.
    I agree Click. To be fair, I'll say that I can type as fast on my Storm as I can with any other BlackBerry device. I think that theres a few issues that need to be cleared up, and I know for fact that the updates coming make good progress, but I don't think the Storm is a POS like some ppl say.
    11-24-08 10:32 AM
    Everyone always wants to point out the bad in a new device. Anytime something new comes out there are way more negative reviews than good ones. If you bought the Storm, you knew it was new and would probably have problems, deal with it and start loving it or return it so other people can get it. Oh, JMHO. :-D
    11-24-08 10:35 AM
    Everyone always wants to point out the bad in a new device. Anytime something new comes out there are way more negative reviews than good ones. If you bought the Storm, you knew it was new and would probably have problems, deal with it and start loving it or return it so other people can get it. Oh, JMHO. :-D
    Unless Steve Jobs sits on a big stage and says "Its also a phone."
    11-24-08 10:41 AM
    So you guys haven't had any problems with the screen click? I've been reading a ton of crap on how people have to pretty much rig their phone so it clicks better. I don't wanna have to do that, seems pretty ghetto to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 10:42 AM
    When it finally arrives, I won't be refusing delivery. I trust RIM and while I don't trust Verizon to know/tell me the straight scoop, I know all will be worked out in the end. I just wish they'd have waited until they were REALLY ready and been honest as to the reasons.
    11-24-08 10:46 AM
    I'm loving my Storm so far. I haven't experienced any bugs, and the lag issue is not really an issue at all. If people get all uptight because it takes a second or two, that's a little too anal, if you ask me.
    11-24-08 10:46 AM
    So you guys haven't had any problems with the screen click? I've been reading a ton of crap on how people have to pretty much rig their phone so it clicks better. I don't wanna have to do that, seems pretty ghetto to me.

I believe its all bs.. or a mental thing? The screen clicks just fine everywhere on the screen.
    11-24-08 10:48 AM
    Let's not forget all the negative reviews of the original iPhone--once you got past the initial impression of "this thing's amazing!!" we started reading about serious phone problems (it was a terrible phone), OS stability problems, and browser crashing, among others.

The difference is, even though the iPhone was unstable and was a terrible phone, the reviews were all thumbs up. Now, the Storm isn't finished--we knew that before it was released. It doesn't commonly display stability issues, the browser doesn't crash, and everyone says the phone portion is excellent. Yet, it's getting mixed reviews.
    I think because the iPhone was pseudorevolutionary, it was forgiven many foibles. The Storm, on the other hand, is not revolutionary, and must compete not only with the much-more-polished iPhone 3G, but with the G1 and other recent touchscreen devices.

Blackberry had a problem--introduce it before it was "finished", or be left further behind as other touchscreen devices soak up what sales they can as the economy plummets.

I think they should have held off until 4.7.0.82, but that's just the opinion of someone who had nothing to risk in this venture.

If I had any extra money, I'd be tempted to buy one just to support their bold venture. But, I don't. And, as my business has plunged, not only can I not justify buying a Storm I don't need, but I don't have the money to replace my aged laptop or my crappy digital camera.

I'm planning to upgrade my phone next may, when VZW will allow it. But if my business doesn't get better, even that won't happen.
    11-24-08 10:56 AM
    I agree Click. To be fair, I'll say that I can type as fast on my Storm as I can with any other BlackBerry device. I think that theres a few issues that need to be cleared up, and I know for fact that the updates coming make good progress, but I don't think the Storm is a POS like some ppl say.
    Thanks Crucial! Some of us have been saying this over and over and not really getting anywhere. I have noticed that people tend to listen to you...maybe they will this time as well.
    11-24-08 10:59 AM
    My runs pretty well too. I have noticed a couple of annoying bugs, but seriously, what do you expect? It's the price we pay as early adopters. I have no problem waiting until the fixes come out, which I'm sure they will.
    11-24-08 11:05 AM
    Same here. No problems. The only problem I have is trying to get better acquainted with a touchscreen keyboard and navigating thru a new to me BB OS. Other than that. This phone is awesome.
    11-24-08 11:13 AM
    I believe this is true, i actually spoke to a vzw rep and they said the reason why only 2 million phones were released is because the phone was not ready for production. She said 50 million people actually wanted the phone, the software was not up to date, the next software upgrade as she told me will be released on the 8th of next month....

If she said that 50 million people wanted the phone she is either lying or is an *****.
    11-24-08 11:14 AM
    Let's not forget all the negative reviews of the original iPhone--once you got past the initial impression of "this thing's amazing!!" we started reading about serious phone problems (it was a terrible phone), OS stability problems, and browser crashing, among others.

The difference is, even though the iPhone was unstable and was a terrible phone, the reviews were all thumbs up. Now, the Storm isn't finished--we knew that before it was released. It doesn't commonly display stability issues, the browser doesn't crash, and everyone says the phone portion is excellent. Yet, it's getting mixed reviews.
    I think because the iPhone was pseudorevolutionary, it was forgiven many foibles. The Storm, on the other hand, is not revolutionary, and must compete not only with the much-more-polished iPhone 3G, but with the G1 and other recent touchscreen devices.

Blackberry had a problem--introduce it before it was "finished", or be left further behind as other touchscreen devices soak up what sales they can as the economy plummets.

I think they should have held off until 4.7.0.82, but that's just the opinion of someone who had nothing to risk in this venture.

If I had any extra money, I'd be tempted to buy one just to support their bold venture. But, I don't. And, as my business has plunged, not only can I not justify buying a Storm I don't need, but I don't have the money to replace my aged laptop or my crappy digital camera.

I'm planning to upgrade my phone next may, when VZW will allow it. But if my business doesn't get better, even that won't happen.
    Nice, thoughtful post.
    11-24-08 11:18 AM
    Thanks Crucial! Some of us have been saying this over and over and not really getting anywhere. I have noticed that people tend to listen to you...maybe they will this time as well.
    Most of the time they do. I've had the Storm for over 3 months, so I tend to know what I'm talking about. I understand that all ppl are having problems. As much as I hate to say it, some of the units are better than others. Regardless, the device is alright, and will only get better.
    11-24-08 11:23 AM
    Ok let me clear about this I write notes long ones becuase I use my phone for quotes that i have to give clients and if i forget something I can not just go back in and say oh I forgot this and I need to add 5000$ more to this. Also I write about 1500 msg's a month.

I have used the palm, enV, Voyager, MotoQ, and now BB Storm.

AND I can say after just a few days with my storm I can type just as fast on it as I could on any of those other devices.
    11-24-08 11:31 AM
    Most of the time they do. I've had the Storm for over 3 months, so I tend to know what I'm talking about. I understand that all ppl are having problems. As much as I hate to say it, some of the units are better than others. Regardless, the device is alright, and will only get better.
    CX, did any of your eval units have problems with not being able to answer while the phone is locked and in landscape mode? Also, did your phone have a standby mode like on the curve (not just scren lock)?
    11-24-08 11:55 AM

Now why did u have to use ghetto couldn't trailer park work just as well
    I know wanted to start some $hit
    11-24-08 11:59 AM
    First things first, I love my Storm. No bashing here at all. CX, you mentioned an interesting thing in your post; stating that some units are better than others. I bought two phones on Friday, the PINS are very close together, if that means anything from a manufacturing timeline. I have noticed large differences in quality between the two of them. One has the screen distortion, the other does not. One has a defective BB key, the other has a bad escape key. One is definitely slower than the other in accelerometer function.

I am very curious how to explain such a drastic difference in performance between the two phones. They are both running the same OS and are configured identically, except phone number of course. Could there be build issues in the line that could account for these differences? I have no inside information and have no idea about the manufacturing process RIM uses, so I am not bashing anyone or anything. I am just trying to understand through logic, or someone else's knowledge.

(I also know about the VZW engineering issue. I just don't think the differences between the two units could be explained by that.)
    EDIT: Just to be clear, I do believe that the issue CX reported re:VZW engineering to be 100% accurate.

Thanks - Dave
    Last edited by MD-Dave; 11-24-08 at 12:32 PM.
    11-24-08 12:30 PM
    Unless Steve Jobs sits on a big stage and says "Its also a phone."
    Now, look here. That comment was completely uncalled for and wildly inaccurate. I don't see why people seem to have a need to bring up these baseless and patently false comments regarding other devices that are being compared to the Storm and other cellular phone manufacturers...it simply is not true!!!

....he was STANDING on a big stage.

11-24-08 12:32 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD