picked up an iPhone 3G today from AT&T and I wanted to share my initial observations as i have both devices, BB storm running .122 and the iPhone.. plz dont crucify me as both devices have their strong and weak points, and i just want to share my opinion..
    BB Storm
    -metal battery cover Rocks! feels very solid in hand and VERY durable with substantial heft. Chrome bezel looks nice, overall sexy phone
    -screen is very nice, extremel bright and elegant with great clarity
    -typing; the BB falls behind the iPhone for me, because my storm did NOT like to click near the top or bottom of the screen, even after using Civic's polk a dot fix..had to press pretty hard to get the screen to click and takes a while to be accurate
    -browser; VERY fast.. i actually like navigating with the BB browser better than i do with the iPhone.. love that double "tapping" will continuously zoom in. also youtube videos load much faster and play much better on the storm.
    -service; ROCKS! in my area of FL, I always have 3g and the storm was quick.. rarely rarely dropped calls and customer support from verizon is OUTSTANDING.. (this is my 3rd storm)
    -apps; there is truely no comparison but stormslider, quickpull, and pandora are musts for storm users
    -OS; i know this isnt a fair area to compare because the storm is still a baby but the iPhone is sex and the storm is a handshake... one of them is more pleasurable than the other
    iPhone 3G
    -when you pull it out of the box, the thing looks like a piece of art.. its gorgeous. however, when holding it in hand it doesnt feel as solid and isnt as heavy as the storm.. it feels pretty fragile. that worries me especially with AT&T not offering insurance on these babies
    -screen; very nice, not as bright or quite as crisp as the storm's IMO, but still excellent and well thoughout.
    -typing; the iPhone FLYS! i am as fast or faster with it than i was with my storm, and ive only had the thing for a day.. its only going to get better with 3.0 and landscape typing.. txting is a breeze with this phone.
    -browser; the 3g is a little slower than the BB's and harder to find in my area.. the crux is that the iPhone has wi-fi and it BLAZES when connected its not a fair fight for the storm again, you just have to find a good free reliable wifi signal. safari is easier to manage as a whole, but when doing things with in the webpage itself, the BB is easier to me (selecting a link, typing in atxt box, etc.)
    -service; its acceptable. i lost 3g and had to rely on edge when crossing the Al-Fl borber yesterday and i never lost coverage with my storm. Verizon is better it seems coverage wise, and time will tell how AT&T's customer service is..
    -apps; no comparison, the iPhone is incredible.
    -OS; see Storm review above.

Conclusion
    I love both devices!! the iPhone is a lot more fun, easier to use, fast as hades on wifi, and has a polished OS that never ceases to amaze me. throw in the incredible apple app store and the phone becomes SO SO much more..

The storm seems to be for the moe serious, buisness user.. the OS needs work and the phone doesnt even come close to living up to its potentia, plus the app world pails in comparison.. however, with superior service (YAY Verizon), durability, and that gorgeous screen, its a great phone too.

For now im sticking with my iPhone i really am amazed at this product, but good job RIM i cant wait to read the reviews on the storm 2 we might have to switch back to Big Red again!!! thanks guys! hope this is informative.. and if i posted in the wrong section mods feel free to move it at your discretion!

EDIT: i only commented on these limited areas of the phone because they are the major sell or bust points for ME.. thx!
    Last edited by jah1373; 05-23-09 at 05:05 PM.
    05-23-09 05:02 PM
    Thanks for the time and effort pal, very informative.

I am trying to decide between the Storm 2, an HTC HD and a Nokia N97, but I have friends who are trying to convert me to the iPhone.

Thanks,

Messa
    05-23-09 05:34 PM
    From what i have read basically you like the service of Verizon but you like the apps or Iphone? (besides the txting), why not keep your blackberry storm and buy a itouch? you get the same apps and what not but without the data plan price and the phone/txting itself.... just a thought thats for the awsome post tho
    05-23-09 05:43 PM
    For those who prefers Verizon Wireless' superior services and network, but loves the Apple products, you should hang in there.

If Steve Job is as smart as I think he is, he will produce a smart phone for VzW. It might be the iPhone or a variant of the iPhone. It will just be a matter of time. There is no way Apple is not thinking of 100% market penetration.
    05-23-09 05:57 PM
    Why did you get both? That's a lot of money for cell phones ><
    05-23-09 05:58 PM
    Nice comparison. I agreed with a lot of the things you mentioned. The click on my Storm is flawless on every single corner but I can still type way faster on the iPhone. Typing on the iPhone is a treat after using the Storm for a while.

P.S. 3.0 is pretty nice. I really enjoy using it. The phone just has way more functionality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 06:00 PM
    OP...

I live on the AL/FL border as well and the service issue is big here. GAY T&T just plain sux in this area. That's a big thing in your comparison of the web. Considering they're a big runner in purchasing this area of Alltel from VZW, that may change.

As far as typing...you have to be a fan of SurePress to be quick on it. Not sure how long you've had the Storm but I've had mine 2 months and i bomb when i try to type on physical keys now. My last phone was a Motorola ROKR and it has a flat keypad so there's similiarities in it and typing on the Storm.

I've always been amazed at the fact that the iPhone was built more for a multimedia phone yet lacks mms and a better screen resolution, both of which the Storm has. Guess music was supposed to make up for that.

I never have liked the idea of the Storm and iPhone being compared (the Apple nerds like to use the Storm OS as grounds to so they can make themselves feel better about having one IMO), but all in all, a fair assesment in my opinion. Nice post.

Last edited by unseenme; 05-23-09 at 06:11 PM.
    05-23-09 06:09 PM
    storm + itouch FTW....until LTE launches and we all have 1337 haxxxorzing skillz of all things LTE
    05-23-09 06:11 PM
    storm + itouch FTW....until LTE launches and we all have 1337 haxxxorzing skillz of all things LTE
    I have the storm love it... i use if for everything and music is it worth getting a itouch?
    05-23-09 08:02 PM
    I use just the storm but my friend has both. Itouch has its benefits. I'd say its a good media only device. But the bouncy ball platform game is addicting. Wish my storm had it.

05-23-09 08:05 PM
    From what i have read basically you like the service of Verizon but you like the apps or Iphone? (besides the txting), why not keep your blackberry storm and buy a itouch? you get the same apps and what not but without the data plan price and the phone/txting itself.... just a thought thats for the awsome post tho
    i already have an ipod, 30 gig, that is completely full, so there wasnt really any point in getting a ipod touch, even though they are amazing too. the Epocrates app (drug database), uses the web to access its info which is important at my work (im a Pharmacy tech), thats one of the reasons i switched to the iPhone. the touch wouldnt be able to access the info without wifi connction.. i dont think?
    05-23-09 08:41 PM
    OP...

I live on the AL/FL border as well and the service issue is big here. GAY T&T just plain sux in this area. That's a big thing in your comparison of the web. Considering they're a big runner in purchasing this area of Alltel from VZW, that may change.

As far as typing...you have to be a fan of SurePress to be quick on it. Not sure how long you've had the Storm but I've had mine 2 months and i bomb when i try to type on physical keys now. My last phone was a Motorola ROKR and it has a flat keypad so there's similiarities in it and typing on the Storm.

I've always been amazed at the fact that the iPhone was built more for a multimedia phone yet lacks mms and a better screen resolution, both of which the Storm has. Guess music was supposed to make up for that.

I never have liked the idea of the Storm and iPhone being compared (the Apple nerds like to use the Storm OS as grounds to so they can make themselves feel better about having one IMO), but all in all, a fair assesment in my opinion. Nice post.

ive had my storm since christmas, and txting is its main job, around 100 sent a day, and dont get me wrong i was very very quick on the storm, but i was able to pick up my iphone and be just as fast if not faster the first time i used it..im sure ill get faster... and i agree AT&T's service is questionable here so time will tell which phone will be overall faster.
    whenever 3.0 comes out its supposed to adress a few of those multimedia issues you mentinoned so im looking forward to that... i really dislike the fact that on the iPhone, you cant talk on speakerphone and initiate a txt to someone, you can only reply. thx for the positive feedback guys i appreciate it.
    05-23-09 08:46 PM
    Nice comparison. I agreed with a lot of the things you mentioned. The click on my Storm is flawless on every single corner but I can still type way faster on the iPhone. Typing on the iPhone is a treat after using the Storm for a while.

P.S. 3.0 is pretty nice. I really enjoy using it. The phone just has way more functionality.

i cant wait for 3.0!! im jealous. and this storm is a refurb, becaus it is my 3rd unit, so the screen has issues when typing in the corners.. swithcing to landscape is a horror because the "a" almost never clicks lol, but i can fly in portrait.. do you know an official release date for the 3.0 OS?
    05-23-09 08:49 PM
    Thanks for the time and effort pal, very informative.

I am trying to decide between the Storm 2, an HTC HD and a Nokia N97, but I have friends who are trying to convert me to the iPhone.

Thanks,

Messa
    consider what you want out of your device carefully before you buy.. are you going to use the iphone apps for anything significant? are you more of a buisness user? either way i believe you will be MORE than happy with either unit, they are amazing devices!!
    05-23-09 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD