Quick, I know it's on here some where but one of my coworkers with an iphone keeps telling me that the storm is not good and not to get it. He's only agument is the no wifi. I know that there is a massive list of reasons why storm is better. Can someone list a good one for me so I can show it off to him. Then when I get my storm live I will prove it to him. Thanks in advance.

hmmm, let's see....

Storm vs iPhone (aka: Storm DOES have, iPhone DOES NOT have):

- 3D click-through screen (capacitive touch PLUS tactile click)
    - MMS
    - record videos
    - WMV support
    - WMA support
    - 3GPP RTSP website audio/video streaming
    - copy/paste via multitouch
    - better camera (3.2mp vs 2mp)
    - 2x digital camera zoom
    - camera autofocus & image stabilization
    - better screen resolution (480x360 vs 480x320 = 12%)
    - full QWERTY keyboard (PLUS SureType)
    - second mic for active noise cancellation
    - removable/replaceable battery
    - better battery life w/ 1400 mAhr (6.0hrs vs 5.0hrs)
    - replaceable metal backing (vs plastic, non-replaceable)
    - MicroSD memory card expandable up to 32GB
    - 10x hard buttons (4 front, 2 top, 4 side)
    - voice-command dialing
    - global phone (CDMA/EVDO.A/UMTS/HSPA/EDGE/GPRS/GSM)
    - true, lean email push w/ compression (vs battery draining ping-pong workaround)
    - Legendary RIM encryption and security (with remote management via BES or Unite)
    - syncronize contacts, tasks, memos, calendar with Yahoo! PIM, Outlook, Lotus Notes, Novell, etc
    - save attachments & send attachments from internal/media card memory
    - open PDF, DOC, XLS, PPT files
    - ability to use any music manager (vs iTunes only restriction)
    - high-speed PC modem via USB tethering
    - Assisted GPS for turn-by-turn navigation with third-party applications
    - mass storage mode (allows drag/drop of files via Windows Explorer)
    - BlueTooth 2.0 with stereo headset, A2DP/AVRCP audio streaming, file-sharing, wireless printing, etc
    - landscape charging dock for movie viewing (unverified)
    - better Verizon contracts and price plans
    - better network (Verizon EVDO Rev. A vs AT&T HSDPA scarce coverage and slower uploads)
    - open architecture app install (vs Apple collecting a buck for EVERYTHING you buy)

Okay, so if you have an iPhone on AT&T, it's perfectly natural that you'd hate the spotty coverage and grow to love your WiFi.

On Verizon, we don't have that problem... hence no need to compensate with an additional chip that would raise prices and reduce battery life.

And sure, maybe the browser isn't as warm and fuzzy.
    Whoop-dee-doo.

iPhone, game over.

Dude, the Storm is as dull to use as old boots. I'm sorry but it is. It'll never rival the iPhone in full-blown consumer media application, simply because RIM is utterly clueless at it. Their idea of 'beating Apple' in this arena involves a high-resolution screen - that's it. The Storm's pixel density is beautiful, but there's more to 'delighting' the consumer than tech specs. The iPhone has poor specs on paper, yet has a UI that is rock-solid and is built for the average guy to enjoy.

The Storm is going to be a great phone for young business professionals - all the features of a BlackBerry, with a great screen. It simply will never crack the consumer market in the way Apple have, and if you can't see that, you're blind to the ergonomics and economics of the consumer market.

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting one on launch day for work. It's superb at what it does, but don't expect RIM to suddenly exceed Apple in what they do best - Apple are game leaders at consumer UI and expectations, and RIM have a lot to learn yet from them.

You're not going to get a more honest and informed opinion on this forum than the above, as I'm not a fanboy of either product and there is a possibility that I may have used the Storm for, hypothetically, a period of time that may have been long enough to, possible, form a rounded opinion on the product for what it is. Maybe.
    10-28-08 03:29 PM
    Dude, the Storm is as dull to use as old boots. I'm sorry but it is. It'll never rival the iPhone in full-blown consumer media application, simply because RIM is utterly clueless at it. Their idea of 'beating Apple' in this arena involves a high-resolution screen - that's it. The Storm's pixel density is beautiful, but there's more to 'delighting' the consumer than tech specs. The iPhone has poor specs on paper, yet has a UI that is rock-solid and is built for the average guy to enjoy.

The Storm is going to be a great phone for young business professionals - all the features of a BlackBerry, with a great screen. It simply will never crack the consumer market in the way Apple have, and if you can't see that, you're blind to the ergonomics and economics of the consumer market.

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting one on launch day for work. It's superb at what it does, but don't expect RIM to suddenly exceed Apple in what they do best - Apple are game leaders at consumer UI and expectations, and RIM have a lot to learn yet from them.

You're not going to get a more honest and informed opinion on this forum than the above, as I'm not a fanboy of either product and there is a possibility that I may have used the Storm for, hypothetically, a period of time that may have been long enough to, possible, form a rounded opinion on the product for what it is. Maybe.
    I beg to differ with you; RIM will win a lot of consumers over.
    People that bought the iphone and wants one that does a bit more.
    A lot of win mobile users who like touch screen devices that are
    with VZW who desire a bigger screen; and who enjoy the functionality
    of what this phone has to offer. A lot of win mobile users period.
    Media; music; and all the other goodies to go along with it. Not to mention VZ Nav and BB maps. I am a borderline business/fun user.
    I will be taking vids of my grandson etc.
    It mayt not take a big deal of iphone customers; but it will bring in new ones.
    I imagine that with this phone RIM and Apple will be neck and neck in
    market share..................IMHO
    This phone will be a game changer.
    10-28-08 03:48 PM
    verizon as a network will attract lots of new users from other carriers IMO, at leat in my case I sold my iphone 3G and switched to verizon to geta better experience with the provider and the storm looks like will be the equivalent of the iphone minus the dropped calls
    10-28-08 04:23 PM
    bottom line is that VZ has the best network coverage and that in itself will help make the phone a viable player for people who want a touch but cant stand Tmo's or ATT's coverage or lack there of.

As far as UI is concerned that can be changed with a simple OS update. I am sure initially the OS will be good not great, but give it time and I think that this phone will be tweaked to make the multimedia person and buisness person more than happy.
    10-28-08 04:29 PM
    Your points are good, and I take them on board. However, I still don't view the Storm as a game changer at all, unfortunately, as the game has been squarely Apple's for almost 2 years now and still is, as far as I'm concerned having handled this generation of RIM offerings.

I think it's a good step forward for RIM, but if anything, I foresee their 'knockout' game changing device still a few years away. The 9000 series sees them 'stepping up' to the modern plate, as opposed to exceeding beyond it. It's a good step in the right direction.
    10-28-08 04:31 PM
    I imagine that with this phone RIM and Apple will be neck and neck in
    market share..................IMHO
    Im getting a Storm but I think sales wont be that good after the initial rush. My reasons for this are as follows.........

1. Economy is terrible right now. Mobile phone usage would be one of the first things companies cut to save money (mine has)
    2. I think most blackberry users still want a physical keyboard.
    3. Only available for Verizon in the US. RIM should release it on all networks.
    10-28-08 04:43 PM
    Im getting a Storm but I think sales wont be that good after the initial rush. My reasons for this are as follows.........

1. Economy is terrible right now. Mobile phone usage would be one of the first things companies cut to save money (mine has)
    2. I think most blackberry users still want a physical keyboard.
    3. Only available for Verizon in the US. RIM should release it on all networks.
    SIDEBAR
    1. Yup. Let's not forget the comsumers who are struggling as well.
    2. Possible. Maybe the SurePress will alleviate their reservations.
    3. A thread titled "An Interesting Read" has an article sort of relates to your point. In a nutshell, the article states that RIM received most of it's revenue from VZW and
    Vodaphone (not sure if Voda is accurate) Blackberry sales.
    Maybe RIM wants to take the safe route and offer the 95xx to carriers that have shown exceptional sell through.

END SIDEBAR

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 05:16 PM

Great post. I do agree. I do wish the iPhone was available on Verizons network. The only complaint I have with the iPhone is that I have a **** of a time typing on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 10:08 PM
83 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD