Just bought a HP Mini and tethered it to the Storm. Works like a champ!!!! I was surprised how fast Verizon's 3G network works, faster than my DSL at home.

My son plays travel baseball and we're on the road every Friday through Sunday typically staying in hotels and spending all day at the park. I figured the money I'll be saving from paying Internet connection charges at hotels and being able to access the Internet while at the fields all day will be priceless.

The Storm handles 75% of my computing needs when I'm on the road however having the ability to access the web with a Mini makes me believe I'm ready for anything thrown my way work wise.

Who else tethers on a regular basis? Any surprises I should know about?
    02-20-09 07:03 AM
    Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the hp mini. I am in the market for a small netbook type laptop. I am a writer, and have a work laptop but don't like using that to do any of my writing on. I also have a tendency to do my writing in weird places (whenever the mood strikes me.) Which can put me in weird places.

I am pricing out small laptops like the eee and the hp mini to see where I can get the best deal, without sacrificing too much power... maybe a small netbook that will still let me play the occasional WoW quest as well.

I will tether once I get my own laptop instead of piggy-backing off my Universities laptop.
    Last edited by DankJemo; 02-20-09 at 07:42 AM.
    02-20-09 07:39 AM
    $399 at Best Buy. I choose the HP over the others due to the larger keyboard which will come in handy for typing documents and long emails. The HP is more expensive than the others however you do get more bang for your buck. Also, the HP screen is really sharp compared to the others.
    02-20-09 07:46 AM
    I cancelled my home internet and solely use tethering. I set up a mini-PC running XPe. When I get home I plug in my phone and the PC automatically connects and redirects the link over wi-fi. Now all my PCs have internet that is as fast as or slightly faster than my old DSL. Plus its greats for the road trips too.
    02-20-09 07:54 AM
    I cancelled my home internet and solely use tethering. I set up a mini-PC running XPe. When I get home I plug in my phone and the PC automatically connects and redirects the link over wi-fi. Now all my PCs have internet that is as fast as or slightly faster than my old DSL. Plus its greats for the road trips too.
    forgive my complete lack of further researching before asking......BUT, aren't you only limited to 5gb of bandwidth a month using VZW? That'd be a definite no go for me (damn you torrents!)......but that is smart thinking, esp if you have good connection at home (which sadly I don't think it'd cut it for me even if i thought of going that route)
    02-20-09 07:59 AM
    If you don't torrent or stream a bunch of media though, 5gb is ample
    02-20-09 08:23 AM
    sounds like a sweet deal... 400 bucks for a tiny machine running XP... I did see one on the hp web page called the "Mi" Does that mini run a linux OS or something like that? I wouldn't mind running one of those guys... I need to get better with Linux anyway. I can use it, but I'd like to get as good with a linux machine as I am with all the windows OS's out there.
    02-20-09 09:24 AM
    I can also recommend the Acer Aspire One, it's a little cheaper, and a little smaller (which is good in my book). The HP mini is also a fine choice, I came THISCLOSE to getting that instead of the Acer.
    02-20-09 09:32 AM
    Asus EEE 901 is a great little one also. So is the Nokia N810 if you want something smaller than a netbook but a little more robust than your phone.

Teethering on both is simple.
    I been debating on trying out the Dell mini also but I dunno....
    02-20-09 09:35 AM
    I am going to wait for the N280 chipset. Faster FSB and such.

How much more a month is it to tether? Or do you just plug in n go?
    02-20-09 10:13 AM
    I tether my laptop for work sometimes. I've even been on the road, coworker driving, and doing support work while driving @ 75mph. Greatest thing ever!!
    02-20-09 10:23 AM
    Is it $30 a month to tether?

I went for the Eee 1000HD.

About the same specs as the Mini but a lil cheaper.
    02-20-09 10:24 AM
    Wow, sounds like these Netbooks have really caught on like a wild fire. I had been reading they were popular but didn't think they had caught on like this.

I guess with all the recommendations I have my work cut out for me when it comes to picking one. There are quite a few models to sort through...

I am actually working on a staff member's Sony netbook... They suck, do not get one from Sony, if anyone is reading this, wondering about the same things I did. They are terrible!
    02-20-09 11:11 AM

I'm paying $15 a month for the tethering option. I will never pay for another airport or hotel connection again..........

and yes, the HP mini runs XP, a stripped down version I'm told.
    Last edited by rlj; 02-20-09 at 11:47 AM.
    02-20-09 11:44 AM

It's 59.99 a month to tether... if you have the 29.99/m BB plan then it's an extra 30.00/m to tether, if you have the 45/m corporate plan, it's 15/m to tether.
    02-20-09 02:21 PM
    I am pricing out small laptops like the eee and the hp mini to see where I can get the best deal, without sacrificing too much power... maybe a small netbook that will still let me play the occasional WoW quest as well.

I will tether once I get my own laptop instead of piggy-backing off my Universities laptop.
    Not sure netbooks have the umph to run a game such as WoW, with the lack of an independent video card and most limited to 1GB of RAM, games will have a tough time running at any acceptable level.
    02-20-09 02:25 PM
    I can also recommend the Acer Aspire One, it's a little cheaper, and a little smaller (which is good in my book). The HP mini is also a fine choice, I came THISCLOSE to getting that instead of the Acer.
    I can co-sign on the Acer Aspire One which has better specs than the HP mini. The Acer comes in either a 8.9 ($299) or 10.1 ($350) screen with either a 3- or 6-cell battery. I have the 8.9 which fits better in my purse!
    02-20-09 03:22 PM
    forgive my complete lack of further researching before asking......BUT, aren't you only limited to 5gb of bandwidth a month using VZW? That'd be a definite no go for me (damn you torrents!)......but that is smart thinking, esp if you have good connection at home (which sadly I don't think it'd cut it for me even if i thought of going that route)
    Your not limited to 5gb download .After 5gb they throttle back your download speed
    02-20-09 04:11 PM

its 15 per month
    02-20-09 04:20 PM
    Can you post the directions to tether the storm to the laptop please???
    06-02-09 09:09 PM
    Can you post the directions to tether the storm to the laptop please???
    Download VZaccess manager, run the set up wizard, don't plug the phone in until it tells you to, agree to the monthly access charges for it (you may actually need to call CS to get this added) and hit connect.
    06-02-09 09:13 PM
    +1 on the Aspire One. Although I have a 17" HP Laptop, I find I am using the Aspire One more and more. Mostly because it goes everywhere with me. I tether it to my Storm when I need it, works great!
    06-02-09 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD