I have had my BB Storm 1 since February of this year. I had a BB Pearl 8130 that ran fantastic. The Storm was night and day better. 3.2 mp camera, sweet touch screen, Threaded SMS, new OS was a better experience than the pearl. I have had a very positive experience so far with the Storm.

My question is, why is there all this hate for the Storm? I am sure that the Droid, iphone, whatever does a great job at what they do but for the life of me I can�t figure out why there is so much hate for the Storm. I understand wanting something newer and more exciting, etc. but that doesn�t make the Storm a bad phone. Maybe I just got lucky. I don�t know, is this hate on the Storm because folks want to bail and try another phone, is it really that bad? Maybe it�s my lack of experience with other smart phones. (played with my dads Iphone for 2 minutes and tossed it back to him and said �nice toy.�) I can watch videos on my storm, play music, take great pictures, email, sms, run apps, surf the net great (with opera mini) etc. FYI, I do a quick pull every day. Maybe that makes the difference for me.

Thanks for your time,
    06-16-10 05:38 PM
    I got the storm 1 the day it came out...

I returned it 4 times.
    Got the tour, returned it 5 times
    Got the storm 2 (big improvement over the storm 1 but still...)
    Got the new bold 9650 and am hanging on to the first one

After using all those phones and my brothers droid and my dads iphone. The storm doesn't come close to what the iphone and droid can do. The typing on the storm is horrendous, when you wait for that screen to pop back up you kill so much time and half the time it isn't even what you selected. I couldn't stand the storm. I need a real keyboard for txtn/emailing and just the feeling that I can type at a fast speed... If it had some good apps to go with the touch screen it may be a much better device but one can only wish...
    06-16-10 06:26 PM
    The only thing I really hate about the storm 9530 is the app memory. If my phone had at least 256mb I wouldn't complain a bit. As it stands, I must pick and choose which apps I really want to use. Other than that, I really like my phone!
    06-16-10 10:27 PM
    because it lags and often fails at basic function but won't lag or fail at basic function when you try and demonstrate it to someone else. It can't be trusted to walk and chew gum at the same time.

If you get a phone call right while you're doing something, it'll be 5-20 seconds before you can get back to what you were doing when the call is over because the storm will get discombobulated and confused.

It takes 5 minutes and 27 seconds to turn on from a battery pull. It needs lots of battery pulls.

I like having a phone that is always fast that never fails me.
    06-17-10 11:51 AM
    The only thing I really hate about the storm 9530 is the app memory. If my phone had at least 256mb I wouldn't complain a bit. As it stands, I must pick and choose which apps I really want to use. Other than that, I really like my phone!
    Yep, if it wasn't for the app memory, I probably would tolerate the rest of the phone's faults. I'm a gluten for punishment as I always check meterberry after doing a bunch of different things to see how much memory was lost and not recovered after properly closing apps. My expectation would be that my phone should regain all of the app memory I have after a fresh battery pull minus a little. My memory usage is a death spiral to nothing over a day if I don't do a battery pull.

My second big issue is the lag when transitioning from task to task. Sometime the phone will sit for three to five seconds when going from task to task.

The occasional freezing and lockup of the phone when typing is another constant issue. Sometimes I will turn the phone from horizontal to vertical and back just so I can get the phone to respond again.

I had very high expectations for the phone and I really did enjoy it when I first had it. The more I used it, the more the issues popped up and the more frustrated I became with it. I've installed every leak and tons of hybrids with the hope that my phone would become more usable but it just hasn't happened.

Looking at where Android is now, I think that the Blackberry has too far to go to catch up. I will miss the great push email but the Storm is my last Blackberry.
    06-17-10 09:06 PM
    I just came to the realization that the Debut of OS6 shown on a touch screen device IS A CLEAR SIGN A STORM 3 IS COMING. Come on everyone. Even in the vid a virtual keyboard was pulled up. Look at the vertical length of the window in the vid. Everything in those screen shot layouts says STORM 3. None of the devices shown in this post have a big enough screen to do that. And why in the world would you put a virtual keyboard on a device with a physical keyboard. Think about it, like a volcano, all this rumbling from us current Storm owners and RIM is like "Man do we have a trick up our sleeves." When The Storm 3 erupts, its going to blow us away and silence the haterz. Everyone just wait and see. Patience is a virtue. This is perfect marketing for RIM, hmmmm Lets leak this and that and keep eyebrows raised when it comes to our big shabang. Its coming, I feel it, I can't say when but I'm tellin you all its coming. So hold on to ya butts!!!
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 06-18-10 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Correction. Yes the 9800 does, however for it to only come to AT&T. Seriously, would RIM leave us hanging @ VZW.
    06-18-10 03:59 PM
    The performance of the storm is disappointing - freeze ups, low application memory, horribly coded OS, everything about it really.

When they first released the device, it was horrible (well, to my memory, some things about it were better than 5.0 - With 4.7.0, at least my storm did not constantly freeze up or lose battery power at a fast race.) But nonetheless, it was an unfinished product.
    06-18-10 07:44 PM
    I bought Storm1 the day it was released, had to have it replace 4 times in 6 months. I defended it like it was the greatest phone ever but it continued to disappoint over and over. I loved the concept of the click screen and deep down still do, but Storm 1 is BY FAR the worst smartphone I've ever owned and I've owned many.
    06-18-10 10:07 PM
    You've only owned the phone since February. You didn't live through the pain. You would've slowly grown to hate this phone. Especially if you bought the S1 because it was the only touchscreen smartphone on VZW at the time. And you had no other choice but to stick with it because you wanted a touchscreen phone.
    06-18-10 11:09 PM
    You've only owned the phone since February. You didn't live through the pain. You would've slowly grown to hate this phone. Especially if you bought the S1 because it was the only touchscreen smartphone on VZW at the time. And you had no other choice but to stick with it because you wanted a touchscreen phone.
    Ah, but there WAS another touchscreen. The LG Voyager if I do recall. The OTHER OTHER iPhone killer.
    06-18-10 11:18 PM
    I went to google opera on a friend's storm. It was wiped free and he wanted me to put OM5 and youmail on it.

It couldn't keep up with my fingers as I typed the word "opera"

this thing is a J-O-K-E and I don't miss it.
    06-19-10 11:06 AM
    The only problem I have ever had with the Storm1 is with screen sensitivity in hot/humid weather.
    If you stay on top of app memory(easy to do) it never slows up. Those having problems just don't stay on top of things. If you are, search out 'Security wipe' and you will have a new device.

With that said I do think my next phone will be a Droid Incredible however. Nothing against the Storm but I didn't keep whatever phone I had before the Storm came out(can't even remember what it was). Just the way things are...
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 06-19-10 at 12:59 PM.
    06-19-10 12:57 PM
    The "haters" that frequent these threads often strike me as being the stereotypical bullies on the schoolyard playground. Pay them no attention, they've yet to grow up.

It's one thing to say "I tried it and it wasn't what I was looking for." It's quite another to denigrate others who have the device and like it and make ridiculous claims like "This is the beginning of RIM's demise." Those are the typical comments of children and those who know nothing.

I bought my Storm 1 on release day. I had it for one full year, minus 1 DAY, when it first acted up (dial pad ceased to work). I was being sent a replacement and, in preparation for returning the original, I did a wipe and reinstalled the OS....turns out, the keypad began working fine again. It wasn't a perfect phone, it certainly had its shortcomings, but things like app memory should have come as NO SURPRISE TO ANYONE WHO BOTHERED TO DO EVEN A MINIMAL AMOUNT OF RESEARCH PRIOR TO THEIR PURCHASE!. With each OS release, it got better and better until, just before I sold it to buy the S2, it really was a fairly reliable phone with decent performance (not the best, not the greatest, but certainly NOT "epic fail.") I upgraded to the 2 primarily to get WiFi and increased app memory, but some of the other things like the improved touchscreen came as an added bonus.

People need to realize that RIM is clearly NOT a "trend setter" or out to have the most technologically advanced device on the market. They are NOT playing the "one upmanship" game that some of the others are doing. Yes, there are faster devices with more memory. If that's what you want, then go RESEARCH it first and, if it floats your boat, buy it. But don't sit here and complain ad nauseam about a device you bought that you decided after the fact, wasn't what you want. RIM has chosen to fit a certain market niche, period. If you don't like SurePress (I LOVE it), if the reboot time is more than you can handle (really? You're THAT busy?), if you want access to 200,000 apps (I've yet to find ONE app that is a "must have" for me that I cannot get on my BB) or if you feel compelled to have the fastest processor on the market (seriously, a device with a screen this size, is NOT intended to replace my desktop or laptop, it's simply a device of convenience, a tool) then go buy something else.

To me, it's like buying a Chevy Malibu and then complaining that it does not perform like a Porche 911. Get real!

P.S. Not sure if the OP intended for this discussion to be focused on Storm 1's in general or all Storms in general (since there are plenty of "all things Storm" haters out there). I am not one of those who seem to need five or six replacements for each device, either with the S1 or the S2. And to the poster above who is thinking of buying the Incredible, I've played with it and it's a nice phone. I encourage you though, to find someone who owns the phone and see how well it works outdoors (since you made the reference to humidity, I'm assuming you're outside a lot). Screen visibility is not very good at all and there are some other shortfalls as well. As with all phones, none of them are perfect and each has its own set of pluses and minuses. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what the S3 brings.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 06-19-10 at 01:32 PM.
    06-19-10 01:22 PM
    The "haters" that frequent these threads often strike me as being the stereotypical bullies on the schoolyard playground. Pay them no attention, they've yet to grow up.

It's one thing to say "I tried it and it wasn't what I was looking for." It's quite another to denigrate others who have the device and like it and make ridiculous claims like "This is the beginning of RIM's demise." Those are the typical comments of children and those who know nothing.

I bought my Storm 1 on release day. I had it for one full year, minus 1 DAY, when it first acted up (dial pad ceased to work). I was being sent a replacement and, in preparation for returning the original, I did a wipe and reinstalled the OS....turns out, the keypad began working fine again. It wasn't a perfect phone, it certainly had its shortcomings, but things like app memory should have come as NO SURPRISE TO ANYONE WHO BOTHERED TO DO EVEN A MINIMAL AMOUNT OF RESEARCH PRIOR TO THEIR PURCHASE!. With each OS release, it got better and better until, just before I sold it to buy the S2, it really was a fairly reliable phone with decent performance (not the best, not the greatest, but certainly NOT "epic fail.") I upgraded to the 2 primarily to get WiFi and increased app memory, but some of the other things like the improved touchscreen came as an added bonus.

People need to realize that RIM is clearly NOT a "trend setter" or out to have the most technologically advanced device on the market. They are NOT playing the "one upmanship" game that some of the others are doing. Yes, there are faster devices with more memory. If that's what you want, then go RESEARCH it first and, if it floats your boat, buy it. But don't sit here and complain ad nauseam about a device you bought that you decided after the fact, wasn't what you want. RIM has chosen to fit a certain market niche, period. If you don't like SurePress (I LOVE it), if the reboot time is more than you can handle (really? You're THAT busy?), if you want access to 200,000 apps (I've yet to find ONE app that is a "must have" for me that I cannot get on my BB) or if you feel compelled to have the fastest processor on the market (seriously, a device with a screen this size, is NOT intended to replace my desktop or laptop, it's simply a device of convenience, a tool) then go buy something else.

To me, it's like buying a Chevy Malibu and then complaining that it does not perform like a Porche 911. Get real!

P.S. Not sure if the OP intended for this discussion to be focused on Storm 1's in general or all Storms in general (since there are plenty of "all things Storm" haters out there). I am not one of those who seem to need five or six replacements for each device, either with the S1 or the S2. And to the poster above who is thinking of buying the Incredible, I've played with it and it's a nice phone. I encourage you though, to find someone who owns the phone and see how well it works outdoors (since you made the reference to humidity, I'm assuming you're outside a lot). Screen visibility is not very good at all and there are some other shortfalls as well. As with all phones, none of them are perfect and each has its own set of pluses and minuses. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what the S3 brings.
    Holy wall of text.

Do YOU even like your storm? I like mine just fine, but you couldn't list one reason why anybody would own one. Seems like you just trashed your own phone. Just sayin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by DrewCSchultz; 06-19-10 at 06:22 PM.
    06-19-10 06:13 PM
    The Storm stunk until OS 5 came out. It is now a good phone. I have no complaints.

06-20-10 08:27 AM

So how many Blackberries had more app memory that the Storm 1 when it was released? Yeah, that's right . . . zero.

There were other reasons to want the Storm that had nothing to do with the "touch" portion of the touchscreen . . . the larger display was easier on older eyes but still provided a decent amount of information without scrolling and it had quad-band GSM/UMTS along with EVDO RevA to name just a couple.

But reliance on the touchscreen with a poorly bolted on UI for data entry was its demise . . . moreso than available application memory initially. And updates to the OS with attempts to fix that simply eliminated most remaining unused app memory.

I've had my Bold 2 for 3 weeks now, and the only time I've had to pull the battery is when I wanted to test the boot-up speed. For the Storm 1 it was easily 3-4 times per week because of either lockups or some alert screen telling me I had to delete applications because I was running out of memory. That was with a STOCK distribution of the OS plus one application, Google Maps.

Good riddance to the Storm. I still haven't had a chance to put a bullet through it, but that'll be happening soon.
    06-20-10 11:38 AM
    I'm an extremely fast typer. My Storm (both the 1 and the 2) have no problems keeping up with me. Your friend's settings or something else on the phone had to be the problem. I think the "J-O-K-E" is on you, l.a, too many others didn't have this problem. I know I never did.

I went to google opera on a friend's storm. It was wiped free and he wanted me to put OM5 and youmail on it.

It couldn't keep up with my fingers as I typed the word "opera"

this thing is a J-O-K-E and I don't miss it.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 06-20-10 at 09:49 PM.
    06-20-10 04:49 PM
    Hmmm...I went back and reread what I wrote. I don't see anything I said that indicated I didn't like my Storm, in fact, quite the opposite. I state the truth from my own experiences. The gist of my post had nothing to do with my own feelings so much as it did about the"haters" out there. I wasn't trashin' my phone at all, I love it, it does exactly what I want it to do though I'd like to see a faster browser.

Holy wall of text.

Do YOU even like your storm? I like mine just fine, but you couldn't list one reason why anybody would own one. Seems like you just trashed your own phone. Just sayin.

06-20-10 04:52 PM
    ::: shrug ::: Different strokes for different folks, I guess. When I sold my 1, after a solid year of owning it, with every update available, and I still booted with around 17 or 18 MB of memory, so that wasn't an issue for me. Periodic battery pulls were, I don't deny that, but it wasn't every few hours like some claim, it was probably in the 2 or 3 times a week. I wasn't happy about that, but it didn't spell apocalypse for me. The larger display was a primary reason for my purchase as well as the virtual keyboard with SurePress.

I'm not claiming the Storm 1 was "the perfect phone" nor that everyone ought to get it. Each phone, regardless of make/model/carrier, has it's own peculiarities and either the phone works for you or it does not. If it does not though, does not mean the "phone sucks" or that it's an "epic fail" or that it spells the "demise of RIM" nor should it engender the hatred that we see so much of. That is, I believe, the gist of this thread, no?

Hey, I really dislike the iPhone and I'm not at all a fan of Android, but do I think they're crap phones? No, they work great for those who love them. The whole hatred thing is nothing more than boorish behavior by children.

So how many Blackberries had more app memory that the Storm 1 when it was released? Yeah, that's right . . . zero.

There were other reasons to want the Storm that had nothing to do with the "touch" portion of the touchscreen . . . the larger display was easier on older eyes but still provided a decent amount of information without scrolling and it had quad-band GSM/UMTS along with EVDO RevA to name just a couple.

But reliance on the touchscreen with a poorly bolted on UI for data entry was its demise . . . moreso than available application memory initially. And updates to the OS with attempts to fix that simply eliminated most remaining unused app memory.

I've had my Bold 2 for 3 weeks now, and the only time I've had to pull the battery is when I wanted to test the boot-up speed. For the Storm 1 it was easily 3-4 times per week because of either lockups or some alert screen telling me I had to delete applications because I was running out of memory. That was with a STOCK distribution of the OS plus one application, Google Maps.

Good riddance to the Storm. I still haven't had a chance to put a bullet through it, but that'll be happening soon.
    06-20-10 05:00 PM
    The Storm stunk until OS 5 came out. It is now a good phone. I have no complaints.

I have to agree. OS5 saved the Storm IMO, for it enable the phone to become much more stable, faster, and a joy to use. Unfortunately my Storm took a dive in some juice this weekend so I'll have to get a replacement through insurance. I'll pony up the 50 bucks for the replacement but I will be updating to an Android based phone this fall when I'm eligible for my new every two .
    06-21-10 10:07 AM
    love it> i just got my S2 today after going from the S1 to the tour and now im back and loving every minute of it
    06-21-10 03:34 PM
    i'm on .113 and i have none of those problems...

wait, no i bailed months ago to android.

honestly, the only way i ever would (and currently do) use a blackberry is for BES, and even then that's ALL i would do on it. i got the eris, a phone that's a year old at its release date, and it ran circles around every blackberry i've ever used for consumer use.

come to a blackberry site and ask people's opinions on a phone, and then make your surprised face when everyone's a blackberry fan! anyone who says otherwise is a troll. same story at android sites, iphone, palm, etc....
    06-22-10 11:00 PM
    I have to agree with the others in saying the Storm is not a perfect phone but it's not a bad phone either. As I stated in an earlier post, I have 25 apps (that's including games and themes), yes I just counted them in the options screen, and I still boot up with 20MB. I have had my phone for a year and a half with no complaints. I do a battery pull twice a week which I think is no big deal at all.
    Yes the BB browser is not the greatest but I installed Opera and all is fine now.
    As far as all the mechanical problems I read about, I've seen how people treat their phones. Now I know not everyone here mistreats their phone but I think some problems could be prevented if people took better care of their phone.
    As I type this I am also replying to SMS and e-mails so multitasking on this phone is no problem.
    So, is this an iPhone, no, is it an Android, no, is it a BlackBerry, yes, and that is why I bought it.

06-22-10 11:33 PM
    That was a wasted post...what was your point? Wait, not sure I care.

i'm on .113 and i have none of those problems...

wait, no i bailed months ago to android.

honestly, the only way i ever would (and currently do) use a blackberry is for BES, and even then that's ALL i would do on it. i got the eris, a phone that's a year old at its release date, and it ran circles around every blackberry i've ever used for consumer use.

come to a blackberry site and ask people's opinions on a phone, and then make your surprised face when everyone's a blackberry fan! anyone who says otherwise is a troll. same story at android sites, iphone, palm, etc....
    06-22-10 11:42 PM
    Storm is good but Droid is awesome.
    06-22-10 11:53 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD