The situation is much more complicated than you know, and I'm allowed to explain. Now back to the HSPA, months before the launch of the Storm I told everyone that you would be able to use the Storm on AT&T's 3G. And that was true until VZW decided they didn't want that to be able to happen, so they locked down the NA HSPA bands. Regardless, they're there. But you just can't use them.
    In regards to Wifi, again very complicated, but it has to do with the agreement between the manufacturer and the main carrier of the device. Seeing as how the device was created more or less for one specific carrier, they had a lot of input over things.
    I understand about not explaining more..I'll take your word for it and concede. Which means I'll quit backing VZW on that issue and join the wifi bashing lol, jk. But on HSPA you cant fault them for that..like I said Apple is doing the same thing now..its all about keeping your customers where you intend them to be, otherwise you're screwing yourself by doing any kind of subsidy on a phone.

I do owe Xattica an apology though..i wasnt really angry at him (work and lack of food had me angry and I took it out on him). And for the time being i'll give him the win for the wifi. Be interesting with the niagara coming out though..if they kept wifi off storm they will undoubtedly keep it off bold..i forsee that causing problems.
    02-24-09 06:42 PM
    So...off topic but im leading back into topic. How much do you think the iphone costs..strictly materials?
    have no clue. I don't know too much about that device.

So lead back into the topic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 06:42 PM
    , etc..etc.). Material isn't the huge driver of cost, its the design and development of that extra stuff into the little phone housing. RIM has employees, bills, and development costs to pay for and thats were the phone cost comes from. Do you think when you buy a car you are paying for $28,000 of material?

Anyway, my point is, if their material costs were high I would assume they were idiots, not that my phone is of better quality.

Cereal, this post isn't directed toward you. I just used your quote to feed my rant.

Ok, realistically the materials probably cost $175 assuming the retail for the phone is $550 ( I dont remember the exact retail amount)
    Sigh..this is like a dead horse...the BOM cost doesnt count licensinng, IP, royalties, advertisement, software etc etc. It strictly counts cost of materials and then labor to put it together. The firm that did this is independent of RIM and has done it in the past with iphone/G1 as well as many other phones. You cannot build ANY smartphone for $28 probably..not even a palm centro..yes im going that far!
    02-24-09 06:47 PM
    have no clue. I don't know too much about that device.

So lead back into the topic.

But you know about the storm magically? LMAO, you know what everyone else knows which is 203 with labor..take off 16 for parts alone. Even if they're off I can promise they're not off by that much.

The Storm has more parts and more mechanical parts then the iphone..it costs more to build...regardless of what you think about the storm this is fact. I dont care if you still think its junk its expensive junk.
    02-24-09 06:50 PM
    But you know about the storm magically?.
    yes : )

Keep in mind also Hawse they are ALREADY offering BOGO on the Storm. How much do you really think they are losing here?

02-24-09 07:03 PM

Keep in mind also Hawse they are ALREADY offering BOGO on the Storm. How much do you really think they are losing here?

Man o man..this just in VZW offers phones for free..they most cost nothing to $1 to make!!!

RIM gets kickbacks from the data plans or they have some sort of agreement similar to apple~att. They aren't making their money off the cost/sale price of the storm
    02-24-09 07:06 PM
    Believe me Hawse, no hard feelings...

Last edited by xattica; 02-24-09 at 08:53 PM.
    02-24-09 08:35 PM
    "edit: Prada I'm flattered that people think you are my alter ego.*
    i've figured it out! you and prada are actually "significant others". it totally makes sense now. both are apple fannies, both hate the storm, always post within a few minutes of each other and piggy back off each others statements, both in one of the few states that allow "civil unions". no worries, i won't let anyone in on your secret.
    02-24-09 09:47 PM
    I think that the only reason the storm was released so early was due to greedyness on the part of RIM. Not because they couldn't release a finished product.
    It factors in, but that's what for profit companies are in business for: profit. Every for profit company is looking to maximize profits at every opportunity. That's just economics 101 in a capitalistic economy. It's not good, it's not bad, it just is how things are.

And now for a bit of a story.

Once upon a time, RIM was pretty much the only company that put out a decent smartphone. It did push email, that no one else had, it did all kinds of things no one else could touch. Sure there were competitors, but they were so far behind it was laughable.

Fast forward a few years, and those competitors have been continually plugging away at their products, bringing them ever closer to what RIM offers. So, RIM can no longer afford to simply take their time and perfect each device before release. Now it has to be a fix-it-as-you-go kind of situation. It's going to be a bit of a culture shock for the people used to the old ways, but times they are a changin'.

In the time post WWII, the US automotive industry was doing great, because every other major economic power was busy rebuilding their infrastructure. It was a great time for American businesses in general, but eventually Europe and Japan finished rebuilding. Then the good times, they came crashing down. It was a nasty culture shock for everyone on this side of the pond, but things change.

It's the same basic story all over again with RIM. The good times people might have enjoyed previously have come to an end, never to return. Not saying it's a good thing, or that I enjoy it personally, just saying that's how it is.
    02-24-09 10:52 PM
    Edit: Materials for the Storm are more than $30.
    I'd say at a minimum they're off by a factor of 10. If it cost $300-$350 to produce if you're just counting the raw materials, and they retail for $500, and RIM has a $50-$100 markup on the wholesale price... That seems far more plausible than $30. Even in batches of 1,000, I'm betting the CPU alone costs more than $30 each.
    02-24-09 10:59 PM

And there it is... A brand new low. Just when I didn't think I could think any less of you, you go and say that. Just wow. I am just in complete and total awe of the ignorance of that comment. I don't think sitting is going to be enough, I need to go lay down to get over this kind of shock.
    02-24-09 11:02 PM
    Because they had to downgrade all the devices back to .65 because of a "security issue."

You really drink the VZW kool-aid don't you : )
    I missed this one before, so I may just have to revise my earlier comment about the new low for you.

All the devices from launch were shipped with .65. Someone printed up some labels that had the wrong version number, and so they had to quickly print up some new ones to slap on those boxes. There was no mysterious security issue or any of this other nonsense, it was just a simple clerical error.

Occam's Razor: Given two possibilities, the correct one is most often the simplest of the two.

So which one seems simpler here? Some mysterious "security issue" for which no details have ever surfaced... Or some minimum wager with an IQ rivaling our friendly neighborhood troll here, entering in the wrong numbers when printing out those labels?

And for that matter, which is the simpler possibility. That there was a shortage because they were scrambling to put .65 on the phones, or because demand was much higher than anticipated?

You do make for a very compelling argument against evolution, and natural selection in particular. I mean, it seems only logical that someone like you should have been weeded out of the gene pool ages ago. Of course you're not exactly a poster boy for creationism or it's repackaged version known as intelligent design. One would have to think that an intelligence capable of crafting life on this order would have been able to do a better job. One for the philosophers of the world to noodle out I suppose.
    02-24-09 11:17 PM
    i've figured it out! you and prada are actually "significant others". it totally makes sense now. both are apple fannies, both hate the storm, always post within a few minutes of each other and piggy back off each others statements, both in one of the few states that allow "civil unions". no worries, i won't let anyone in on your secret.
    Hey if I was gay I would go out with Prada. I'm not ashamed to say that. You ever see how damnn sexy he is? You would blush.

Yes we do like the iPhone and we don't hate anything. Hate is a strong word.

Me and Pradas secret?....brilliant minds think alike.

Don't hate on Prada either or I will be forced to reach thru my monitor grab you by the ears and bounce your head off the keyboard : )

*edit: bigman I just noticed you posted. I can't read your 10 page novels and you tend to ramble a lot. Be more consise when you post*

Last edited by cereal killer; 02-24-09 at 11:36 PM.
    02-24-09 11:31 PM
    I have been using my iPhone for the past week... I just upgraded to .109 on my storm and am going to stick it out with the storm again.. VERI NOICE
    02-24-09 11:34 PM
    I missed this one before, so I may just have to revise my earlier comment about the new low for you.

All the devices from launch were shipped with .65. Someone printed up some labels that had the wrong version number, and so they had to quickly print up some new ones to slap on those boxes. There was no mysterious security issue or any of this other nonsense, it was just a simple clerical error.
    whatever you wrote after this I have no idea : ) but this is what I want to address.

Clerical error? Are you serious?

Yeah it was a clerical error because everybody knows what a polished OS .65 was.

65 was NEVER intended for launch.

02-24-09 11:54 PM
    65 was NEVER intended for launch.
    One might come to the conclusion that no OS released so far has been intended for launch. That's what we're all waiting for.
    02-25-09 08:57 AM
    Hey if I was gay I would go out with Prada. I'm not ashamed to say that. You ever see how damnn sexy he is? You would blush.

Yes we do like the iPhone and we don't hate anything. Hate is a strong word.

Me and Pradas secret?....brilliant minds think alike.

Don't hate on Prada either or I will be forced to reach thru my monitor grab you by the ears and bounce your head off the keyboard : )
    lol...good show.

you're right though, maybe hate was a strong word. i mean to hate something like the storm you'd have to really care about it right? almost to the point of doing something like posting over 7 times a day in a forum to rant about a phone you don't even own......

btw you're keeping track of the progress being made with the OS leaks right? the storm is slowly but surely becoming a very stable device.
    02-25-09 09:08 AM
    Oh Yea

First Trolls-

Then Fan Bois-

Now Gay Bois-

Very Mature, Whats Next?

If Someone Doesn't Agree With You- Name Call.

That'll Fix 'em.

Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 02-25-09 at 10:16 AM.
    02-25-09 09:52 AM
    Anyways, a Storm with Wifi is coming soon, no worries.
    Unless each owners respective carrier is going to offer a free upgrade (unlikely) then it is going to a problem as people will have to fork out all over again to get the wifi enabled version.

You also mentioned that code is now fine. Were you referring to the current leak or is this in reference to your gold code you mentioned earlier.
    02-25-09 09:59 AM
    Oh Yea

First Trolls-

Then Fan Bois-

Now Gay Bois-

Very Mature, Whats Next?

If Someone Doesn't Agree With You- Name Call.

That'll Fix 'em.

awww prada, don't get your garters in a bunch. i never name called anyone. ck took it as it was intended, light hearted humor.

here you go...this should make you feel better.

02-25-09 10:34 AM
    awww prada, don't get your garters in a bunch. i never name called anyone. ck took it as it was intended, light hearted humor.

here you go...this should make you feel better.

Bwwwaaahahahahaha! Cheer up Prada its all good fun.
    02-25-09 10:36 AM
    Rainbows Make Me Want To Vomit.
    02-25-09 10:40 AM
    Unless each owners respective carrier is going to offer a free upgrade (unlikely) then it is going to a problem as people will have to fork out all over again to get the wifi enabled version.

You also mentioned that code is now fine. Were you referring to the current leak or is this in reference to your gold code you mentioned earlier.
    The storm with wifi he is referring to will appear on carriers who do not already carry it, IE Rogers or ATT.

02-25-09 11:19 AM
    So now I'm not good enough for you Prada?!! All those pm's and late night phone sexx was just a lie?!!!!

"Oh Cereal Killer stop crying. Don't let those mean men make you believe you're a troll. You're a beautiful person inside AND out." "I'll always love your trolling arse even if you don't own the Storm."

ALL LIES!!!

02-25-09 11:30 AM
    So now I'm not good enough for you Prada?!! All those pm's and late night phone sexx was just a lie?!!!!

"Oh Cereal Killer stop crying. Don't let those mean men make you believe you're a troll. You're a beautiful person inside AND out." "I'll always love your trolling arse even if you don't own the Storm."

ALL LIES!!!

Hahaha You Made me LOL
    02-25-09 11:35 AM
122 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD