Sometimes I do wonder, whats good with 624MHz of processor power when simple executions such as home screen scrolling lags?

Or typing lags? Or takes more than 5 seconds to save a photo?

I can only say its either the BlackBerry OS is too much of a bloatware, or that the Storm's hardware is too inefficient.
    02-24-09 09:08 AM
    It has been discussed a couple of times, what it boils down to is the problem is both hardware and software. The processor is overburdened, the Bold has more chips to do the same thing, and the iPhone has hardware graphics acceleration. The OS is clearly to blame as well, just from the speed increase from the original firmware to now, the OS is obviously far from optimized.

One of the topics in this forum was "No OS upgrade can fix this piece of junk" and I agree.
    02-24-09 10:24 AM
    It's neither. You're obviously still using .75 still, so just wait for the next official update, or install a leaked build now. It seriously will seem like a new phone at that point.

Despite the commentary from one of our resident trolls, who has pretty well shown s/he doesn't know what s/he is talking about, the simple fact is that times are changing. RIM can no longer afford to sit around and take their time to get a phone just right before releasing it. Where they were once the only real game in town, now they have Apple and WinMo phones starting to breathe down their necks. So the Storm ended up being pushed out the door before it was ready software wise given its ambition, and that means some of the initial bumps are a bit bigger.

You can whine and complain about it all you like, it's the way things are likely going to be from here on out.
    02-24-09 11:20 AM
    Where they were once the only real game in town, now they have Apple and WinMo phones starting to breathe down their necks. So the Storm ended up being pushed out the door before it was ready software wise given its ambition, and that means some of the initial bumps are a bit bigger.
    Breathing down their neck or blown by them like they were in reverse?

Don't forget about Android, also leaps and bounds ahead, and probably Palm too soon.

Don't let the Fanboi's clound your judgement, facts are facts, "they will fix it" and "when the app store arrives" are just pipe dreams.
    02-24-09 11:37 AM
    Even at .75, with plenty of memory, I haven't noticed a significant slowdown.

It's neither. You're obviously still using .75 still, so just wait for the next official update, or install a leaked build now. It seriously will seem like a new phone at that point.

Despite the commentary from one of our resident trolls, who has pretty well shown s/he doesn't know what s/he is talking about, the simple fact is that times are changing. RIM can no longer afford to sit around and take their time to get a phone just right before releasing it. Where they were once the only real game in town, now they have Apple and WinMo phones starting to breathe down their necks. So the Storm ended up being pushed out the door before it was ready software wise given its ambition, and that means some of the initial bumps are a bit bigger.

You can whine and complain about it all you like, it's the way things are likely going to be from here on out.
    02-24-09 11:54 AM
    Despite the commentary from one of our resident trolls, who has pretty well shown s/he doesn't know what s/he is talking about, .
    I see you label anyone (RCCollins) who refuses to accept this sub-par product a troll. That's nice bigman : )

Go through his post and its quite evident he has extensive knowledge of these devices. It just so happens he doesn't carry around the pom poms and tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat his posts. Its quite refreshing to read facts rather than than the usual "give it time" "wait for the app center" "mine is flawless. Its user error" etc etc

Perhaps you don't like to hear from him that your basically going to be stuck with a $200 brick but quit labeling everyone who voices their displeasure with the Storm a troll.

That game is over.

Btw he is right. It is a hardware/software issue combined. Perhaps you will deny that until the end or one day it will become a realization. Until then good luck...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by cereal killer; 02-24-09 at 12:17 PM.
    02-24-09 12:11 PM
    That's fair.

This IS the RANTS and RAVES Forum.

So Don't Be Surprised When You See RANTS.

Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 02-24-09 at 12:16 PM.
    02-24-09 12:12 PM

People usually only pay attention though if you actually own the product.
    02-24-09 12:33 PM
    Yes, it does kind of reduce his credibility, does it not? A VERY good point.
    02-24-09 12:43 PM
    I see you label anyone (RCCollins) who refuses to accept this sub-par product a troll. That's nice bigman : )
    If I had more time, or frankly desire, I'd set about proving your alter ego... But then I just think: A troll's a troll, so who cares if you have a bunch of different accounts you post under when this one gets banned for trolling?
    02-24-09 01:36 PM
    Granted I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, and my mental processing is a bit on the slow side today, but I am completely baffled by this comment.
    02-24-09 01:37 PM
    I would say that the hardware on this phone is great. It's the software that is the issue. From what I've what, it's not that the processor is over-burdened, it's that it's being under-utilized. Prime example? The GPU. There's a GPU on board the main processor in this phone and it is not being used.

You want a major speed increase in any video-capable device? You get proper video acceleration. As I've mentioned in another thread, go an uninstall the video drivers on your PC and let the OS substitute it's own generic and watch how sluggish everything gets.

Re-install those drivers and it's like a new system.

I firmly believe that what we are seeing is, primarily, a software issue.

The question becomes whether RIM will step up to the plate and actually take advantage of the hardware in the phone.
    02-24-09 01:39 PM

Nope. I have been closely following beta OS developments, and this thread wouldn't have been started if .109 was even a tiny bit acceptable for the kind of hardware one expect from a BlackBerry.

And no, seriously, having a beta OS that is > .075 doesn't make it a new phone either.

Granted that they rushed the Storm out of their doors, it just doesn't make financial sense for me to be hindered by such mistakes. Such mistakes, which I will associate with WinMo makers or Microsoft, but not the manufacturers of my trusty berries.

I didn't pay a premium just to use a piece of "tryout" hardware. If there's an update, and like what RCCollins said, a pipe dream to fix everything, I will gladly retract whatever I said. Because at the rate it goes, I'm giving my Storm more care than myself, and giving CB Beta OS forums more attention than my work, since I practically spend my day waiting for a new beta to come-by that will fixed the sound quality which intriguingly, can be fixed by battery pull, or the slowdowns and lags while executing absolutely plain and simple tasks such as TYPING, so that I can justify this spending to my girlfriend.

And clearly, I can't yet. What anger me is, this is a RIM device we are talking about. I shouldn't have to do some of the above because RIM supposedly make business messaging easier.

If the Storm was a HTC/SE/Nokia or whatever made, I would have shut up and got over it.
    Last edited by sliv; 02-24-09 at 01:53 PM.
    02-24-09 01:41 PM
    Granted I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, and my mental processing is a bit on the slow side today, but I am completely baffled by this comment.
    Cereal Killer's profile states he owns a Curve, not a Storm. The comment is pointing that out and subtly questioning the credibility of the comments, given that the user does not appear to actually own the device.
    02-24-09 01:41 PM
    I would say that the hardware on this phone is great. It's the software that is the issue. From what I've what, it's not that the processor is over-burdened, it's that it's being under-utilized. Prime example? The GPU. There's a GPU on board the main processor in this phone and it is not being used.
    We have no evidence of this one way or the other. We don't know if it's being used, not being used, only barely being used, or if they're keeping it in the original packaging because it's a collector's item.

This is a completely unsupportable claim unless you've seen the BB OS code and can say absolutely that this is the case. Same goes for anyone claiming it IS being used. I'll ask them the same thing: Have they seen the source code that shows pretty definitively that it IS using the onboard GPU.
    02-24-09 01:44 PM
    Cereal Killer's profile states he owns a Curve, not a Storm. The comment is pointing that out and subtly questioning the credibility of the comments, given that the user does not appear to actually own the device.
    Okay... That's what I was thinking, but they quoted me, so being a bit tired and slow today... Thanks.
    02-24-09 01:45 PM
    In the right context, it makes sense. It is directed toward Cereal Killer, a Curve user.

This is a public forum, everybody has an opinion. Cereal Killer and I have an understanding. He is on good behaviour in this sub forum and I will content moderate anything I please.

His presence sparks debate and I have always found his viewpoint worthy of consideration.

02-24-09 01:46 PM
    CAN WE GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT!

NO ONE is stuck with the storm ok...everyone had 30 days to get rid of it period no questions asked take any device, and dont give me some "VZW doesn't have any other phones I want BS" bc that means you do want the storm.

Now I can see some people kept with it hoping for it to get better and got passed their 30 days (maybe RCCollins) but guess what you can still hock the phone on Ebay for what you paid (unless if you bought it outright which is moronic for any phone). You would have to try hard to not get $200 for a good condition storm on ebay or atleast be within $20. So STFU and get rid of it if you hate it. Ranting is one thing but if you HATE the phone get rid of it or STFU because you're either full of it and dont hate it or just love to complain and hang on to it just to whine.

Its like that annoying a$$ friend with a crappy gf and all they do is **** and moan **** and moan but NEVER do anything about it. Or the people who dont vote and still **** and moan about the president?!? I dont get people
    02-24-09 01:50 PM
    The Storm don't have just a GPU but also WiFi an 3G capabilities. Also have 2 processors.
    For me, the issue is the hardware vs what features vzn (software) don't wants to be used

Last edited by xattica; 02-24-09 at 02:15 PM.
    02-24-09 01:57 PM

You want a major speed increase in any video-capable device? You get proper video acceleration. As I've mentioned in another thread, go an uninstall the video drivers on your PC and let the OS substitute it's own generic and watch how sluggish everything gets.

Re-install those drivers and it's like a new system.

I firmly believe that what we are seeing is, primarily, a software issue.

The question becomes whether RIM will step up to the plate and actually take advantage of the hardware in the phone.
    Gosh thats what and my friend came to as well! If there exist a GPU, but not utilised. It was tough perhaps to utilise, I don't know, I am no authority in OS development, but frankly, the reason why simple, but intuitive animations such as transitions between orientation change, application opening and closing, and perhaps some eyecandy, that is clearly lacking, is quite possible because of the lacking of a implementation of her GPU.
    02-24-09 01:59 PM
    CAN WE GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT!

NO ONE is stuck with the storm ok...everyone had 30 days to get rid of it period no questions asked take any device, and dont give me some "VZW doesn't have any other phones I want BS" bc that means you do want the storm.

Now I can see some people kept with it hoping for it to get better and got passed their 30 days (maybe RCCollins) but guess what you can still hock the phone on Ebay for what you paid (unless if you bought it outright which is moronic for any phone). You would have to try hard to not get $200 for a good condition storm on ebay or atleast be within $20. So STFU and get rid of it if you hate it. Ranting is one thing but if you HATE the phone get rid of it or STFU because you're either full of it and dont hate it or just love to complain and hang on to it just to whine.

Its like that annoying a$$ friend with a crappy gf and all they do is **** and moan **** and moan but NEVER do anything about it. Or the people who dont vote and still **** and moan about the president?!? I dont get people
    Don't generalise. Not everyone here got it with vzn, I for one, got it imported from Germany just because my telcos here doesn't sell Storm. I imported it under the impression that it was going to be perfect. And ranting here only serve as my outlet, cos nobody in my world cares about my qualms with the phone, to them, it is too exotic to bother them.

And I sticking to the phone, no point selling it when it costed so much just to import it.
    02-24-09 02:03 PM
    The Storm don't have just a GPU but also WiFi an 3G capabilities. Also have 2 processors.
    For me, the issue is the hardware vs what features vzn don't wants to be used

Sigh...another person who just spouts things they heard from some troll..VZW did not prevent the storm from having wifi...there is plenty of evidence to back this up and NO evidence to backup them crippling wifi on the storm. (they have done this in the past with other phones and this is where their bad rep came from but they do not do this on ANY smartphone nowadays)

edit: and your post is barely readable...ESL?
    02-24-09 02:04 PM
    Don't generalise. Not everyone here got it with vzn, I for one, got it imported from Germany just because my telcos here doesn't sell Storm. I imported it under the impression that it was going to be perfect. And ranting here only serve as my outlet, cos nobody in my world cares about my qualms with the phone, to them, it is too exotic to bother them.

And I sticking to the phone, no point selling it when it costed so much just to import it.
    Dont assume I'm talking to you when clearly I mentioned RCCollins and was replying to the only person in this thread who mentioned people being stuck with their storms (CK)

edit: not too mention only a moron would think you have VZW since you dont have the 9530
    02-24-09 02:06 PM
    His presence sparks debate and I have always found his viewpoint worthy of consideration.
    I agree with you on the first part, and will have to disagree on the second part. He's a one trick pony. Everything is always on the same theme. So we can just agree to disagree on your second point, since I'm not interested in spending any more time/effort discussing a troll.
    02-24-09 02:08 PM
    We have no evidence of this one way or the other. We don't know if it's being used, not being used, only barely being used, or if they're keeping it in the original packaging because it's a collector's item.

This is a completely unsupportable claim unless you've seen the BB OS code and can say absolutely that this is the case. Same goes for anyone claiming it IS being used. I'll ask them the same thing: Have they seen the source code that shows pretty definitively that it IS using the onboard GPU.
    From the MSM7600 Data Sheet:

"Advanced 2D/3D graphics support with up to 4 million 3D triangles per second,
    and 133 million 3D textured pixels per second fill rate"

That's not mind-blowing graphics capabilities, but if RIM is already tapping into that power with their current OSes, they're doing a horrible job at it. That's decent power going to waste.
    02-24-09 02:11 PM
122 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD