04-22-09 11:12 AM
33 12
tools
    Hey guys, I am wondering if the Blackberry Storm 9500 is actually worth the money. I've had many touch screen phones before such as the Samsung Glyde, the HTC XV6800, and the LG Voyager. But none of these phones really had a GREAT touch screen and they were not very responsive when I texted and such. I've watched a few video reviews on the Storm and it doesn't look bad...but I'm asking YOU GUYS and your own opinion on this phone...is it good or is it just another cheap attempt of making a touch screen phone that can compete with the iPhone and the G1 Phone. I would greatly appreciate any valuable info on this phone guys.

Thanks
    Robert
    04-19-09 09:44 PM
    I think the information you seek is already in many threads. Storm Rants and Raves comes to mind as a place to start. I like mine, but I haven't had the issues that many others have had. It's a controversial phone, it seems.
    04-19-09 10:15 PM
    The Storm is great if you get one with a good click and you are willing to update to beta OS software.
    04-19-09 10:19 PM
    The Storm is...Nevermind, tired of defending it!
    04-19-09 10:21 PM
    This thing is a beast, had it for 5 months now and my only trouble is I can't put it down!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 10:23 PM
    The Storm is great if you get one with a good click and you are willing to update to beta OS software.
    I agree. Not many issues once I got my first one replaced due to a crappy touch screen. Now it works just fine for me. I'm still running .75 and was waiting on an official release but looks like im gonna have to go beta. tired of waiting for the OS update.
    04-19-09 10:25 PM
    I've used at least 30 different 9530s just this month.

In my experiance, some just have a really crappy screen, even after adusting/increasing/decreasing the Screen/Keyboard settings (Touch Sensitivity, Tap interval, etc).

But no Forum should stop you from just buying one and trying it out for yourself.
    If you think you just have a bad one, replace it within the first 30 days.

After that, you should still be coverd to return it.
    But ultimately, you love it or you hate it. Just play with one.
    04-19-09 10:32 PM

In my experiance, some just have a really crappy screen, even after adusting/increasing/decreasing the Screen/Keyboard settings (Touch Sensitivity, Tap interval, etc).

But no Forum should stop you from just buying one and trying it out for yourself.

This is perhaps the best advice of all. Try it out, give it a chance. Go in to the store and play around with it for 20 minutes. If you like it enough give it a 30 day trial, and if you decide it's not for you, get another model before the 30 days is up.
    04-19-09 10:40 PM
    I like mine, but yet I've only had it 3 days.. It's my first cell phone
    too. I'm a total pocket pc junkie though and have been for years,
    but without mobile access and trying to find wifi access all the time
    was a pain.

So far though, I'm still way faster on my IPAQ, but learning to tap-type
    as they say.
    04-19-09 11:43 PM
    another piece of junk
    04-20-09 09:02 AM
    I happen to really like mine. But you won't get great advise in here on that. I have noticed that the people who don't like it (some who don't even have one) are the loudest ones to tell people not to get it. I say just go and play with it at the store and see for yourself if you like it. I have also read on here that you will hate it for the first two weeks and then you will love it. I found that to be very true.
    04-20-09 10:49 AM
    The Storm is a great device, but like pretty much every phone, it's not for everyone. Like someone already suggested, go to the nearest VZW store and play with the store demo unit. Keep in mind that it's going to be horribly abused, and if you bought one, it would be in much better condition, BUT it should give you a good ballpark idea of what to expect. If you hate the store model with a passion, it's highly unlikely you'd like a new unit any better.

Also be mindful of the return period Verizon offers. Spend at least the first two weeks putting the thing through it's paces if you get one, and if after the novelty of it starts to wear off a little you find it's really not the phone for you, send it back. And also, if you're one of those unfortunate souls who gets to play replacement roulette, at some point YOU need to make a decision about when enough is enough. Verizon will keep sending you replacements quite happily, but if that's not good enough for you, then YOU need to take some kind of corrective action.

Aside from that... Please pardon our current Troll problem. Rest assured we are actively seeking a skilled troll exterminator, but very few have carried on this tradition since the middle ages when the Great Troll Purge took place, and trolls were driven to the brink of extinction.
    04-20-09 12:31 PM
    The Storm is...Nevermind, tired of defending it!
    Mee too.

Make up your own mind. Do not let a few CB users do it for you.
    04-20-09 03:46 PM
    38% failure rate on all NIB devices. POS? You decide : )

04-20-09 03:58 PM
    38% failure rate on all NIB devices. POS? You decide : )

...I have seen you pull stats out of thin air before but this one is just ridiculous. Maybe next time bro
    04-20-09 04:05 PM
    ...I have seen you pull stats out of thin air before but this one is just ridiculous. Maybe next time bro
    5% margin of error. Your correct : )

I did leave out an important piece of info.

04-20-09 04:28 PM
    5% margin of error. Your correct : )

I did leave out an important piece of info.

...I do not know if you are cereal or not?

Got any facts to back that one up? Well this has been good for a laugh.
    04-20-09 04:40 PM
    Its def for some but not for all.. Knowledge of BB software is a def plus in terms of the learning curve and an understanding that this isn't an iphone will go a long way. It has plenty of upside, reason why many choose to stand pat... Its a new device afterall.

04-20-09 05:06 PM
    ...I do not know if you are cereal or not?

Got any facts to back that one up? Well this has been good for a laugh.
    Does he ever? He'll just pull figures out of his arse, and if you push him for pesky details like a source, you'll never get it. It might be time to bring back the saaaaaaaad panda image.
    04-20-09 05:12 PM

Thanks man, great info and I think that is what I will do
    04-20-09 05:18 PM
    Madphone do you know what a majority of those failures are made up of?..........*theme song to Jeopardy*.........you guessed it.
    The screen click/surepress.

Now I don't know how much truth there is to it but I heard that is why they have abandoned it (surepress) with the Storm 2.

Way too many failures/problems.

04-20-09 05:26 PM
    Sure they may have abandoned it on the 2... But the fact its still implemented on the supposed Bold validates its effectiveness. And I'm sure if that doesn't validate the effectiveness than I'm sure winning an award for innovative technology can counter your failure claims...

I'm no rocket scientist but I'm sure technology needs stepping stones to be great.. And the sure press can be expanded upon and refined.

04-20-09 05:38 PM
    Sure they may have abandoned it on the 2... But the fact its still implemented on the supposed Bold validates its effectiveness. And I'm sure if that doesn't validate the effectiveness than I'm sure winning an award for innovative technology can counter your failure claims...

I'm no rocket scientist but I'm sure technology needs stepping stones to be great.. And the sure press can be expanded upon and refined.
    First thing you need to know about these forums... CK is full of sh!t. Literally like 95% of everything he says is completely worthless, made up, misleading, or all of the above. The remaining 5%... About 90% of that are just completely useless posts. Neither good nor bad, but not useful in any way shape or form. He may as well be saying, "I like toast," for all the good it does. Then, maybe every couple of blue moons, and planetary alignments, he'll have an intelligent comment. If it were up to me, CK would have been gone from these forums a very long time ago. Currently I have agreed to disagree with the CB admins who allow him to stay.

Case in point. According to CK, SurePress is some giant blunder on RIM's part, and they're trying to distance themselves from it. Truth is, there's at least one new SurePress device in development currently by RIM in the Pluto. This should be like the synthesis of the Storm and Niagara into a single device. Niagara's keyboard with the Storm's touch screen, and no trackball in sight. I'm sure there will be further refinements to the base idea as time goes on as well, and that it will not be too long before you start seeing a bunch of Storm clones with their own Surepress-like screens.
    04-20-09 05:53 PM
    time will tell if I'm full of it noobman...........I have no worries.

If you read my post you would have seen I said "Now I don't know how much truth there is to this but........"

Read first before you blather on and on and go on the attack. Settle down and relax a little bit champ.

and let me remind you of your quote you made oh so famous so people can see who is fact the one who's really full of shiat : )

No, what makes me think I'm more of an expert than the average person on that, is my intuitive nature. -Bigman2
    04-20-09 06:21 PM
    Case in point. According to CK, SurePress is some giant blunder on RIM's part, and they're trying to distance themselves from it. Truth is, there's at least one new SurePress device in development currently by RIM in the Pluto. This should be like the synthesis of the Storm and Niagara into a single device. Niagara's keyboard with the Storm's touch screen, and no trackball in sight.
    I could see how this would be an interesting implementation of SurePress. I still question the long term functioning of the clicking, however. Two years of reliable use seems questionable to me, esp. on the Storm.
    04-20-09 07:05 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD