So are there any downsides to using Gmail IMAP w/ a BB? Can I still get HTML emails, attachments, etc?
    11-25-08 09:21 PM
    Has there been a fix to this problem yet? I can read my mail at gmail.com or with the gmail app but they still show up as unread messages on my BB in the internal mail app. And I def agree in that this bug completely defeats the purpose of IMAP. I know I have IMAP set up correctly because it says imap.gmail.com on the BB BIS website.
    11-26-08 09:54 AM
    These are all known a well-docuumented (at least in this forum) Gmail/BB issues. Unfortunately, there is no solution currently.

RIM, Google, and AT&T have to resolve this quickly to avoid a customer service disaster, in my opinion. As one of the posters here said, email management is what BB is supposed to be all about, and yet it has this glaring flaw with Gmail.

For now there are 2 options: download the Gmail "app" (with all its faults it does synch what's on your BB with what's on your laptop Gmail account), or the BB "native Gmail message folder" with the problem if no synchronization between the BB and your laptop. The "Reconcile Now" and any other options that you would think would synch the BB to your Gmail account are all worthless. Not sure what RIM was thinking!

Choose your poison, as they say.
    11-26-08 10:06 AM
    When I tried to register my PIN at BIS it said it was already registered. Anyone have any ideas?
    11-26-08 10:49 AM
    When I tried to register my PIN at BIS it said it was already registered. Anyone have any ideas?
    I am having the same problem. Is there a solution to this?
    11-26-08 08:39 PM
    Does anybody here ever notice that maybe a few emails here and there don't actually make it to their BB?? I have IMAP set up and every day i'll notice at least a few that will only end up in my mail box and not on my device...Also, for some reason the IMAP will not always reconcile correctly, sometimes leaving the messages in my mailbox as unread, and also leaving some undeleted??? Anyone have experience with these problems?
    11-26-08 10:25 PM
    Do you have filters set up to not send all your mail?
    11-26-08 10:27 PM
    No filters, everything should be going to then BB, but im only getting maybe 1/3rd of the emails...I tried the different solutions on the forum but was wondering if anyone else had the same problem
    11-26-08 10:54 PM
    make sure you create a username from your device first... go into Setup -> Email Settings -> BB Button -> Create Username (I think thats what it was called before i did it)
    11-27-08 06:43 AM
    I got my Storm today (my first blackberry), and have a few quick questions.

1) Is there a way to specifically configure Gmail for IMAP? For example, when I delete a message from the Gmail server, it wouldn't subsequently delete it from my phone.

2) Is there a way to remove e-mail messages from appearing in the general message folder?

-Steve
    Did anyone answer question 2? I set up my IMAP and now I have 2 folders getting the same messages? How can I get rid of the general one. I know I can hide it but it seems having the same messages stored twice on the same phone is wasteful.
    02-25-09 09:38 AM
    Ok I didn't read the whole thread, but this is what I had to do also since the other directions didn't work for me either. Again this may have been posted, but Im not reading all that.....hope this helps.

I had problems using the above directions. The following directions worked for me:
    After making sure Gmail is set with IMAP enabled in your Gmail settings,
    On the blackberry, Select the Email Settings Icon and sign in.
    Select the ADD button.
    do NOT select Gmail. Instead, select OTHER.
    in the Email Address.. fill in a bogus email address (like [email protected])
    in the Password field, fill in anything for a password
    Click Next.
    You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure�" Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    Select Personal Email, then Next.
    In the 'Email Address:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com').
    In the 'User Name:' Field, enter the portion of your email address before the "@" (i.e. don't include the @gmail.com)
    Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
    In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next.
    Click Next.
    You'll see "processing, please wait�" while it sets things up.
    If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
    You'll be brought back to the page showing your accounts. Select your Gmail account.
    scroll down, Fill in 'your name:' with how you want your name displayed. .
    check the box for synchronise deleted items between�
    02-25-09 10:38 AM
    I followed those directions to a T and everything works perfectly as far as GMAIL goes for me.....
    02-25-09 10:38 AM
    Ok I didn't read the whole thread, but this is what I had to do also since the other directions didn't work for me either. Again this may have been posted, but Im not reading all that.....hope this helps.

I had problems using the above directions. The following directions worked for me:
    After making sure Gmail is set with IMAP enabled in your Gmail settings,
    On the blackberry, Select the Email Settings Icon and sign in.
    Select the ADD button.
    do NOT select Gmail. Instead, select OTHER.
    in the Email Address.. fill in a bogus email address (like [email protected])
    in the Password field, fill in anything for a password
    Click Next.
    You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure�" Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    Select Personal Email, then Next.
    In the 'Email Address:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com').
    In the 'User Name:' Field, enter the portion of your email address before the "@" (i.e. don't include the @gmail.com)
    Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
    In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next.
    Click Next.
    You'll see "processing, please wait�" while it sets things up.
    If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
    You'll be brought back to the page showing your accounts. Select your Gmail account.
    scroll down, Fill in 'your name:' with how you want your name displayed. .
    check the box for synchronise deleted items between�
    Thanks! It worked for me!
    03-04-09 01:42 AM
    okay so i followed the other instructions posted by phil, since the other way wasn't working for me, and i came up with an error. "unable to create account. please see information.." something like that. searched around for a solution and found that my account was 'locked' and needed a Captcha form filled? Ended up unlocking it and then it finally processed thru. Still waiting to see if everything is setup correctly.

This can be done here:

https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha
    03-07-09 05:13 AM
    make sure you create a username from your device first... go into Setup -> Email Settings -> BB Button -> Create Username (I think thats what it was called before i did it)
    If you are not able to create a username (very likely if it is already registered) you may need to call Verizon and have them delete the "old" account and help you register your PIN.
    03-07-09 08:22 AM
    I set up IMAP gmail on my storm. Everything works except all the read messages on my PC show up as unread on the storm, very anoying. Also I tried a few test messages to myself and they did not work. Anyone help??? I'm useing the gmail app. now but would like to use BB instead like it supose to be used. I'm still with in 30 days of buying and am thinking to taking it back if i cant fix this.
    03-17-09 12:41 PM
    I had imap working... but it was with the trick using @mail.com instead of @gmail.com. Well I tried to fix it this morning and I ended up trying to delete the whole thing to see if it would work.

Now, after following the directions i did before, and using other directions I found online (both from gmail and forums) I can not get it to add the gmail account.

Everything in gmail is set up correctly... it has to be the phone. Anyone have any ideas?
    03-19-09 03:13 PM
    Weird... another gmail account I have added on the first try, but I still get the same error with the one I always use.

It says "Unable to add account. Please check your information and try again." But I know everything is correct.
    03-19-09 03:22 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD