I got my Storm today (my first blackberry), and have a few quick questions.

1) Is there a way to specifically configure Gmail for IMAP? For example, when I delete a message from the Gmail server, it wouldn't subsequently delete it from my phone.

2) Is there a way to remove e-mail messages from appearing in the general message folder?

-Steve
    11-21-08 12:03 PM
    Hey I'm in the same boat. I got my Storm (my first BB) on Saturday the 22nd, and have been unable to add Gmail as an IMAP account. I tried to follow these steps:
    Note since i'm new i can't post links...
    To configure IMAP access for your BlackBerry, just follow these steps:
    1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
    2. From your BlackBerry home screen, select the BlackBerry Set-up icon, then choose Personal Email Set-up. (On older devices, just look for the Personal Email Set-up icon.)
    3. Select Personal Email Set-up.
    4. Accept Terms and Conditions.
    5. On the 'Email Account Set-up' page, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') but leave the 'Password:' field blank. Select Next.
    6. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure [[email protected]].' Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    7. Select Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP), then Next.
    8. Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    9. You'll see 'The BlackBerry Internet Service could not configure [[email protected]] email account.' Select Provide The Settings to continue.
    10. In the 'User name:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com'). Google Apps users, please enter your full email address at your domain. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
    11. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next. Google Apps users should enter the server name provided; don't add your domain name in this step.
    12. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
    13. Below your newly added Gmail address, select Edit.
    14. Select Advanced Settings at the bottom.
    15. Make sure the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
    16. Select Save.
    17. There should now be a new mailbox icon on your BlackBerry home screen labeled with your Gmail address. Once you see this icon, follow these steps to ensure proper configuration:
    18. Open the mailbox icon.
    19. Open the menu by pressing the jog wheel or BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
    20. Select Email Reconciliation.
    21. Confirm the following settings:
    22. Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
    23. Wireless Reconcile: On
    24. On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
    25. Select Save.
    26. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.
    but after step 6 where it says "Leave the password field blank" my storm (maybe 4.7 only) says "Password cannot be blank" so i'm forced to enter it. If I put in the correct password it is added as POP and if I enter the wrong password it just errors out saying "Couldn't add account"

On top of that, does anyone know how to get your BES email to show up as a mailbox icon like my POP (shudder) gmail is?

Thanks!
    -Dave
    11-23-08 07:34 PM
    Hey I'm in the same boat. I got my Storm (my first BB) on Saturday the 22nd, and have been unable to add Gmail as an IMAP account. I tried to follow these steps:
    Note since i'm new i can't post links...

but after step 6 where it says "Leave the password field blank" my storm (maybe 4.7 only) says "Password cannot be blank" so i'm forced to enter it. If I put in the correct password it is added as POP and if I enter the wrong password it just errors out saying "Couldn't add account"

On top of that, does anyone know how to get your BES email to show up as a mailbox icon like my POP (shudder) gmail is?

Thanks!
    -Dave
    To resolve that you need to follow those instructions via the BIS website:

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

To create the username for this site, you have to do it on your blackberry. goto the Email setup and hit the MENU key and there will be an option to create username. Follow that to create the username for the BIS site then follow the gmail IMAP instructions.
    11-23-08 07:38 PM
    I followed the above instructions *exactly* to re-configure my gmail from pop to imap. I even disabled POP in gmail.com settings to confirm it was still disabled after configuring gmail on BIS. The storm is setup to "sync deleted email" and that "mailbox" wins, etc.. just the instructions.

However, when I delete an email from my inbox and even also delete from trash, it does not get deleted from the Storm. I also tried the "reconcile now" on the Storm, and no effect.

On the other hand, when I tried this with my yahoo email, immediately when I deleted email on yahoo.com it got deleted from the Storm.

Any ideas!!! help!
    11-24-08 08:28 AM
    kenfisher123, I'm in the same boat as you! If I delete from my Storm, it updates on Outlook. However, if I delete from Outlook, it doesn't update on the Storm. VERY frustrating considering my Treo had a client that perfectly synced.
    11-24-08 08:31 AM
    When you are deleting from the Storm, you are using delete from both mailbox and handheld correct?
    11-24-08 08:33 AM
    I am using gmail.com to read and delete email, not outlook ..

Anyone know how to set it up so when something is deleted from gmail it gets deleted on the blackberry? As I said, the instructions to configure gmail to imap for followed and verifed.
    11-24-08 08:34 AM
    Yes, my reconcile is set to delete from both mailbox and handheld. The only issue I'm having is that when i delete from the server, it doesn't delete on the storm. Since the reconcile is set to have the mailbox win, I'm not sure what the issue is.
    11-24-08 08:46 AM
    I am using gmail.com to read and delete email, not outlook ..

Anyone know how to set it up so when something is deleted from gmail it gets deleted on the blackberry? As I said, the instructions to configure gmail to imap for followed and verifed.
    I don't think messages are deleted or even changed to a read status when you're handling e-mails in Gmail. If you read and/or delete messages on your BlackBerry, the changes will reflected be in Gmail, just not the other way around.

At least that's been my experience with Gmail on my Curve...
    11-24-08 08:48 AM
    I'm not even getting that. I can read messages on my Storm and no changes are apparent when I log in to gmail. Deleting works from the handheld properly. Also, when reading/deleting from the server there are no changes reflected on my handheld.
    11-24-08 08:50 AM
    I don't think messages are deleted or even changed to a read status when you're handling e-mails in Gmail. If you read and/or delete messages on your BlackBerry, the changes will reflected be in Gmail, just not the other way around.

At least that's been my experience with Gmail on my Curve...
    Doesn't this defeat the purpose of IMAP?
    11-24-08 08:50 AM
    Have any of you guys tried this: Google Mobile - Gmail It works for me and it keeps my gmail up to date from the web and my handheld.
    11-24-08 08:51 AM
    Before, I used the Gmail Application to handle all of this with my Curve. But I didn't like missing a chunk of the message. Images and what not aren't passed through and some other things. I prefer the feel of my blackberry handling the message
    11-24-08 08:52 AM
    Yea, I've tried that application, and it is a perfect sync. However, the fatal downfall is that it's not integrated into the Blackberry like setting up a BIS e-mail account. For example, you can only send e-mail through that app based on your GMail stored contacts, not the contacts you have stored in the Storm.
    11-24-08 08:53 AM
    Have any of you guys tried this: Google Mobile - Gmail It works for me and it keeps my gmail up to date from the web and my handheld.
    With that app you don't get the emails as soon as they pop up on the server. I believe the Gmail app polls your server something like every 15 minutes. Granted it's not a huge difference in time, but come on messaging is the foundation on which BlackBerry's are built!
    11-24-08 08:54 AM
    True, but Gmail is just my secondary email to my BES email. The problem I had with IMAP is that it populated in the same area as my exchange email and I like to keep those two far apart from each other. Kind of like my wife and my girlfriend. Just kidding, she's probably reading this.
    11-24-08 08:58 AM
    True, but Gmail is just my secondary email to my BES email. The problem I had with IMAP is that it populated in the same area as my exchange email and I like to keep those two far apart from each other. Kind of like my wife and my girlfriend. Just kidding, she's probably reading this.
    Hah. Understandable. In that situation using the gmail app makes more sense. Although you can have seperate mailboxes, but you're right in Messages it will all show up there.
    11-24-08 09:01 AM
    Doesn't this defeat the purpose of IMAP?
    If you primarily check mail through Gmail and not the BlackBerry, then I guess it would.
    11-24-08 09:01 AM
    I redid the configuration through BIS, not entering the password and doing advanced configuration. I can tell the IMAP configuration was successful, because sent items don't require a filter, but instead go directly into the sent item folder. Messages deleted from the Storm are deleted off the server. However, it still does not sync if I delete an e-mail from GMail.com or Outlook. I guess this is just not a working option.
    11-24-08 09:15 AM
    It appears to be working now ... When I delete an email on gmail.com, it will get deleted on the Storm itself. The only issue that I needed to wait a long time .. maybe about 20-60 minutes, not exactly sure how long.

When I receive email, it arrives instantly on both gmail and the Storm.

But email deleted on yahoo.com got deleted instantly . just takes a while with gmail.
    11-24-08 11:28 AM
    Will this prevent me from sending an email to myself? (Such as a ringtone?)
    11-24-08 11:58 PM
    the gmail mobile works beautifully, you dont get the notifications that you would normally but you dont have to deal with alot of the hassels and if you have numerous gmail accounts for seperate things than it helps to be able to sign out
    11-25-08 01:35 AM
    I started by using IMAP on our company Exchange server. I was able to get messages on the Storm instantly (almost) and if I delete on the Storm it deleted on the desktop too.

However if I delete or read on the desktop the Storm does get the update.

I then switched to my gmail account and tried the same thing, and the Storm doesnt update.

Just to make sure I wasnt crazy, I setup a desktop client to Gmail using IMAP and it works 100%.

I think the Google phone and the iPhone go directly to the servers rather than going through something like BIS.

Verizon tech support had no clue.

Any ideas?
    11-25-08 08:45 PM
    MarkWorsnop,

I have the same exact problem; deleting from desktop client does not update on the Storm. Oh well.
    11-25-08 08:48 PM
    I can't believe that this is my Exchange server or Gmail, Must be BIS problem or is it a Storm problem?

Verizon says that is the way it works. Ha! No way... I will be switching phones if that is the case!

Does anyone know if this works on other BB devices?
    11-25-08 08:57 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD