Hey guys its been a while since I posted on here. Just like the rest of you I am disappointed that my storm 2 won't be capable enough for OS6. This is also a bummer seeing that it is still a fairly new phone. Anyway, do you guys think it makes sense to upgrade to a storm 3 with 512mb that will be os6 ready but incapable of running os7 when that drops or the upcoming bold with 512mb that may can run os7? Think about it. A new storm may be needed for every new os seeing that the touchscreen interface utilizes much ram. It is a waste to be upgrading the device every year. Rim can't be getting our money like this. I think it may be better if we just buy a device that can last us at least 2 years into the future.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 09:08 AM
    I even wonder if Surepress is in RIM's plans anymore. I like it most times, but other times the click can be quite annoying.
    08-06-10 09:18 AM
    If the rumors that have been going around are true then it sounds like the new storm is just going to be a refresh, so more like a Storm 2.5 and that a much better Storm 3 is to follow shortly after. I really want BB OS 6, but I am willing to wait for a better device first, OS 5 does everything I need it to do at the moment anyway.

Storm 3 specs as per Salomondrin:
    1 GHz processor
    1 GB flash memory (program memory)
    8 GB internal memory (storage)
    Customized version of OS 6
    LTE

I also heard somewhere that it supposed to have an 802.11 a/b/g/n wifi adapter. If this turns out to be the storm 2 refresh I will buy it, otherwise I am waiting.
    08-06-10 09:23 AM
    I even wonder if Surepress is in RIM's plans anymore. I like it most times, but other times the click can be quite annoying.
    I doubt it. I remember Berryweather had pinch to zoom when you pulled up the radar screen. The clicking made it feel weird to use.
    08-06-10 09:28 AM
    I doubt it. I remember Berryweather had pinch to zoom when you pulled up the radar screen. The clicking made it feel weird to use.
    What clicking? You don't have to click to use pinch and zoom.

08-06-10 09:37 AM
    The Torch is certainly an eye-popping device from a Storm/Storm2 user's perspective. I grabbed the Storm the day it came out, and I upgraded to the Storm2 the day it came out, too. I've never considered the Storm series "great" but the S2 has kept me quiet from too much complaining, however, my biggest complaint overall is the typing and navigation of text. When I purchased the Storm I said goodbye to the physical keyboard. Though I LOVE the BB keyboard I got over it, eventually. The trackpad, however, would be a great addition to the Storm series. Anyway, it seems to me, At&t basically took the Storm series and looked down the list of complaints and worked with RIM to procure the Torch. Wow, if Verizon only got a clue instead of their hard-on for Android maybe some of us Storm users wouldn't feel like we're in limbo at times.

I'll say this, its going to be very difficult for me to shell out more money and extend my contract to purchase a Storm3 if its the same damn phone I've been using since last October. I don't care about more memory and OS6. Yes, the new OS has some interestingly evolved features, but so what? I don't feel like buying a new phone that is just like my old phone.

Maybe its time to play with another device and put BB on hold until Verizon and RIM can actually get me as excited about a phone as they did with the Storm. Oh wait, the Storm sucked. I better be careful...
    08-06-10 09:50 AM
    The only real mistake RIM made with storm2 was the ammount of memory. Besides it lagging the mem to run OS6 it is still a great phone. And later OS5 versions are rock stable and will continue to improve. I would have loved OS6 on this one but I am just looking all that more forward to the true storm3 (not just the refresh).

BB OS rocks and touch devices are the future!

I have only had one phone that was better than this one. That was the Bold 9700. And that is only because it will get OS6.

08-06-10 10:59 AM
    The only real mistake RIM made with storm2 was the ammount of memory. Besides it lagging the mem to run OS6 it is still a great phone. And later OS5 versions are rock stable and will continue to improve. I would have loved OS6 on this one but I am just looking all that more forward to the true storm3 (not just the refresh).

BB OS rocks and touch devices are the future!

I have only had one phone that was better than this one. That was the Bold 9700. And that is only because it will get OS6.

I couldn't have said it better...let's hope the S3 has the specs that Sal reported.
    08-06-10 11:59 AM
    I am not sure why you would consider between the Storm3 and the new Bold, unless you mean the Torch? If I went AT&T, and I wouldn't, I would go 9800 for sure, not 9780.
    08-06-10 12:07 PM
    ... I don't care about more memory and OS6. Yes, the new OS has some interestingly evolved features, but so what? I don't feel like buying a new phone that is just like my old phone....
    I'm not sure I understand this. If it's got a new OS and twice the memory, it's hardly going to be just like your old phone... unless you mean "looks" just like your old phone
    08-06-10 10:16 PM
    I'm not sure I understand this. If it's got a new OS and twice the memory, it's hardly going to be just like your old phone... unless you mean "looks" just like your old phone
    I'm referring to the inability of the Storm 2 to function with the precision I want. For example, when I have to navigate text to edit, the prompt jumps all over the place. I'm jealous of the Torch because it has a trackpad. I've been playing around with the Storm series for almost 2 years now. I gave up the trackball/trackpad and a physical keyboard for the switch. IMO, the device is substandard in this area, and it would be nice if the issue was addressed by either Verizon or RIM. Instead, At&t comes out with the solution. It ticks me off.

Anyway, if the Storm gets the upgrade in Memory along with the new OS6, it doesn't excite me if the hardware doesn't evolve with it...is all I'm saying. So, why should I upgrade the device when I'm going to have to deal with the same hardware issues that have frustrated me with the first 2 Storms?
    08-07-10 08:20 AM
    Storm2 future is bright and goood.
    08-07-10 08:29 AM
    Storm2 future is bright and goood.
    ^^^how so? lol
    08-07-10 12:00 PM
    RIM should issue a new S2 with more memory and then send them to VZW and then the customer brings their current S2 and get a new version free of charge and with OS6
    But then again, its technology so staying up to date is gonna be tough unless you buy something new every 6 months. But RIM should of known better then to put only 256mb memory onto their phones.

08-07-10 01:19 PM
    I couldn't have said it better...let's hope the S3 has
    the specs that Sal reported.
    Yep, with a bigger screen.

08-07-10 01:49 PM
    Can somebody please confirm- I understand the Torch is not a World phone like the Storm 2. That is a deal breaker for me. Is this a RIM issue or an issue with AT&T vs. Verizon
    08-07-10 02:21 PM
    9800 will be a World phone. Any GSM phone is a world phone. The only reason Storm2 says that is because it's a CDMA which is primary the US and other countries but locked down to only VZW for the CDMA part. And the GSM is for outside the US.
    08-07-10 02:48 PM
    I'm referring to the inability of the Storm 2 to function with the precision I want. For example, when I have to navigate text to edit, the prompt jumps all over the place. I'm jealous of the Torch because it has a trackpad. I've been playing around with the Storm series for almost 2 years now. I gave up the trackball/trackpad and a physical keyboard for the switch. IMO, the device is substandard in this area, and it would be nice if the issue was addressed by either Verizon or RIM. Instead, At&t comes out with the solution. It ticks me off.

Anyway, if the Storm gets the upgrade in Memory along with the new OS6, it doesn't excite me if the hardware doesn't evolve with it...is all I'm saying. So, why should I upgrade the device when I'm going to have to deal with the same hardware issues that have frustrated me with the first 2 Storms?
    Fair enough.
    The hardware works well for my taste, but everybody has their own preferences.
    I really like the way my S2 works for me so double the memory, OS6, and 5mp camera would make a great phone even better (for me).

There are rumours that Surepress will be improved on S3, but I don't know if that would include the refresh.
    08-07-10 02:54 PM
    Not sure how the Surepress can be improved since it's good now. Had issues with the older OS but higher then .320, I have not had any issues with the surepress.
    08-07-10 03:58 PM
    Thanks, Al

9800 will be a World phone. Any GSM phone is a world phone. The only reason Storm2 says that is because it's a CDMA which is primary the US and other countries but locked down to only VZW for the CDMA part. And the GSM is for outside the US.
    08-07-10 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD