• Made in Canada / Kept Un-Holstered

153 25.12%
  • Made in Mexico / Kept Holstered

32 5.25%
  • Made in Mexico / Kept Un-Holstered

63 10.34%
    Hi there

This is a follow up post from the one originally posted by:

I have quite a lot of dust/particles under my screen, and in just the past few days it's gotten worse. It's honestly to the point where it is distracting.

Anyone else getting this?
    In order to help overcome the dust situation I wanted to create a poll. Please respond according to your experience.

So far it seems that all Storms with dust problems were made in Canada but we need more input.

Thanks everyone!
    12-01-08 09:35 PM
    Just voted (Canada/Un-holstered)...just to clarify, I keep it in my pocket. I have ordered a replacement from Verizon. You should add options for NO DUST (un-holstered) and NO DUST (holstered).
    12-01-08 09:39 PM
    Just voted (Canada/Un-holstered)...just to clarify, I keep it in my pocket. I have ordered a replacement from Verizon. You should add options for NO DUST (un-holstered) and NO DUST (holstered).

Same here. Made in Canada. Dust under screen. New one on its way.
    12-01-08 09:44 PM
    No dust so far but eventually will. I never had a cell that never got dusty.
    12-01-08 09:46 PM
    Same here. Made in Canada. Dust under screen. New one on its way.
    I have dust under the screen and mine is made in Canada as well. I am going to head to the Verizon store and see if they can get me a new one as well.

I also have a pixel problem, not sure if it is related. I have a spot about the size of an eraser, that shows a different shade of color than the surounding pics. It is most noticed on light colored screens.
    12-01-08 09:58 PM
    Wow, thought people were loony about the dust under the screen, but just noticed today that I do have some dust under the screen. WTF this is fricken lame . Anyone know how to get it out? Is it a defect? I keep mine in my pocket unholstered. Never had issue wit dust actually getting under the screen on my treo.

Made in canda
    Last edited by phlite; 12-02-08 at 10:27 AM.
    12-02-08 10:18 AM
    Mexico here had my storm for 5 days. I notice no dust at all. I carry it in my pocket as well as holster

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 10:23 AM
    Got my Storm on release Friday, kept it in my pocket for the weekend and on Sunday I noticed a couple dust particles under the screen. At first I tried to convince myself that the dust was between the screen protector and the actual screen but upon closer inspection it was obviously under glass (plastic?). The most obvious piece was the lower left corner (near the send key).

I went to the Verizon store and the rep told me to come back when they had more storms in stock and I could get it swapped out. Not entirely happy with that I tried using some compressed air. At first I was trying to shoot it in the gap near the dust particles and that did nothing. However, when I shot the air in at the top gap (just under the blackberry logo) the dust at the bottom cleared out.

Maybe I was lucky, but with a some compressed air and a little persistence you might have a dust free storm again.

/canadian storm
    12-02-08 10:32 AM
    seriously the screen could still move if they had some rubber on the sides like the stuff that lets your car window go up and down but keeps water from getting in the door...
    12-02-08 10:37 AM
    Not to be a smartass, but has everyone pulled the clear plastic sheet off the screen?
    12-02-08 10:58 AM
    Not sure where exactly everyone is talking about the dust but I have a made in Canada version, kept in pocket un holstered. I see tiny amounts of dust in the crack around the screen, but nothing has actually worked its way under the screen into the viewing area.

Is this something that I have to look forward to?
    12-02-08 11:07 AM
    @deanabmf - yes, plastic has been removed. I had installed a verizon protector, but I removed that as well to make sure the dust particles weren't between the screen and the protector.

@jmw102602 - yup, dust under the screen, not just in the gap around the edge.

One other thing, the dust particles were definitely more noticeable outside in daylight.
    12-02-08 11:13 AM
    Mexico build here and no dust. I keep it in my pocket and the unit usually has dust / lint on it after a day but nothing has made its way under the glass. I had a Pearl that had dust under its screen.
    12-02-08 11:38 AM
    No dust on mine, made in Canada. I also took mine out four wheeling the other day for the entire day following other guys with no wind shields. The phone got pretty dirty but worked fine.
    12-02-08 12:17 PM
    @deanabmf - yes, plastic has been removed. I had installed a verizon protector, but I removed that as well to make sure the dust particles weren't between the screen and the protector.

@jmw102602 - yup, dust under the screen, not just in the gap around the edge.

One other thing, the dust particles were definitely more noticeable outside in daylight.
    Exactly the same for me. I used a fairly high powered flashlight (Surefire E1B) yesterday to show the Verizon guy just how much dust there was. He was surprised.

I'll give the compressed air from the top trick a try. I tried it from the sides with no luck. Maybe it'll work. Dunno.
    12-02-08 01:35 PM
    I dont have a storm YET! lol!!
    but the one the girl had Sunday at the Eaton Centre had NO problems with dust. she had it on her hip in a leather holster and hers was made in Canada as well.
    12-02-08 01:41 PM
    I dont have a storm YET! lol!!
    but the one the girl had Sunday at the Eaton Centre had NO problems with dust. she had it on her hip in a leather holster and hers was made in Canada as well.
    Hopefully you will get a newer made storm with no problems since you don't have one yet, I had mine for over a week though and no problems ::knock on wood:: adorable avater btw
    12-02-08 01:57 PM
    Dumb question but how can you tell if you have dust? Lol... Maybe I just don't have any.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 01:58 PM
    How are you guys getting your units replaced? I have been on the phone twice with these hammer heads at customer service & they act like I'm the only person in the world having these problems (button difficulty along bottom of screen, dust under screen & not being able to backup my unit on Desktop Manager). My next step is to go to my local VZW store.
    12-02-08 02:24 PM
    they wont replace mine for having a big piece of dust, called CS went to store, guess ill just live with it
    12-02-08 03:35 PM
    Hi Guys... thanks for all your responses so far... It seems that Mexican Storms don't have nearly as many problems with dust - trend??

Also, does someone know how to request/turn this poll into a STICKY?

Cheers!
    12-02-08 08:21 PM
    Hi Guys... thanks for all your responses so far... It seems that Mexican Storms don't have nearly as many problems with dust - trend??

Also, does someone know how to request/turn this poll into a STICKY?

Cheers!
    12-02-08 08:28 PM
    I called Verizon and told the rep that there was dust under the screen and that I would like a replacement. He said he's reluctant to send another unit because when I get it, I'll have to ship the old one back to the warehouse. If the warehouse deems that the BB I send back is not a Manufacturer's defect, they will charge me full retail and I won't get the phone back.

Would the lack of any form of seal between the glass and lcd, which would allow dust to get trapped under the screen be considered a manufacturers defect? Is it supposed to be sealed so this doesn't occur? We're talking I got the phone on day 1, but that's not even 2 weeks ago.

I'll be heading over to the store later to see what they can do, but I may be reluctantly cutting my ownership of a storm short as I'm not so accepting of this dust under my screen. If this is what happens with 2 weeks, I don't think I'll be able to read my email around the 2 year mark.

For review: Canada - Holstered
    Last edited by EdwardK; 12-03-08 at 02:36 PM.
    12-03-08 02:31 PM
    I have dust too, I wish they'd have just prevented this.
    12-04-08 10:53 PM
    long time lurker, first time poster...

so, i had dust under my screen - mostly in the right side, lower portion of the screen. compressed air didn't help - maybe even made it worse. btw, i was carrying it in my pocket (which probably doesn't help) using a silicone case and a screen protector.

i called verizon and they overnighted me a new replacement, but...assuming there's still a risk of dust, any advice on how to prevent (or at least minimize) it? i assume using a sleeve or holster is better, but would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

thanks.
    12-04-08 10:59 PM
185 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD