Hi all. New here. Just picked up a Storm, and am trying to get up to speed on issues (of which I've had none) and accessories.

I live in a very dusty place, so the dust under screen complaints concern me a little. I had an idea, and wanted to try it out on the forum members before I spring for a protector for a phone I don't own. Does anyone know if an iPhone screen protector would cover the gaps on a Storm? It struck me that the iPhone 3g screen is considerable longer/taller than the Storm's; if it is wider, too, it might do the trick. If the screen protector covered all the gaps on the front of the Storm, it might mitigate dust issues.

Would covered gaps interfere with the Storm's operation?

Thoughts, anyone? Anybody got both phones?
    01-07-09 01:03 AM
    I don't know too much about this but I would assume the protector would become loose and peel off because when you click the screen, it goes down and everytime you click, the protector woudl just get looser and looser....I don;t know tho
    01-07-09 01:15 AM
    I don't think it would be a good idea. Since it would be large and hang off the sides, the part of the screen protector that was hanging off would actually collect more dust. Plus the click problem listed in the above post.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 01:29 AM
    The only solution is for RIM to step up and admit this is a problem, make Storms with a revised seal, and do a recall so we can get a Storm without a sandbox inside the screen.
    01-07-09 01:40 AM
    This won't work.

However, if you cut down the iPhone/iPod screen protectors to fit the Storm, they make really good ones. I like them because they are purely static cling. I made one for mine for an exact fit of the screen. Works great.
    01-07-09 01:41 AM
    This won't work.

However, if you cut down the iPhone/iPod screen protectors to fit the Storm, they make really good ones. I like them because they are purely static cling. I made one for mine for an exact fit of the screen. Works great.
    Out of curiosity, what brand are you using? Presumably they're of higher quality than the static cling protectors already available for the Storm (from Verizon and Boxwave, amongst other places), or it wouldn't be worth the trouble of cutting down an iPhone protector, right?
    01-07-09 02:12 AM
    check this out..i've got this stuff for everything i own..zagg.com
    01-07-09 02:23 AM
    This won't work.

really...that sounds like a plan...i may do that.

thanks civic
    01-07-09 02:57 AM
    This won't work.

How are the iphone screen protectors different from the verizon ones for the storm?

I have an ipod touch with a screen protector and it seems no different from the one on my storm other than the size.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 03:00 AM
    I think the iPhone ones are a more rigid plastic and stick on. Cube mate at work has one and showed me his dust under the protector issue. lol

I was thinking about the dust issue people are having. Maybe this needs to be a poll to figure it all out but: people with the dust, did you pull off the OEM screen cover, not the one with the instructions on it, but the one that covers the glass?? If so, how hard was it to get off and what direction did you pull. If it was really difficult to pull off and you pulled it perpendicular to the screen, that may have loosened the seal a bit. If you pulled parallel to the screen, like along the surface, you may not have an issue with dust. Dont know, just a theory.

I have no dust and have not removed the OEM cover/protector.
    01-07-09 05:33 AM
    I use the Invisible Shield by Zagg and love it. I have not had the dust problems yet but a friend of mine has major problems with it. Yuck.
    01-07-09 05:58 AM
    This won't work.

Out of curiosity, what brand are you using? Presumably they're of higher quality than the static cling protectors already available for the Storm (from Verizon and Boxwave, amongst other places), or it wouldn't be worth the trouble of cutting down an iPhone protector, right?
    Just buy a Clarivue Screen Protector. Its $7.99-9.99 with free shipping on eBay. The actual site charges $10.99-11.99 or something like that. It's static cling, cut to size to fit the screen and comes with 2 screen protectors. Perfect if you have 2 Storms or if it messes up pretty bad, you have a spare. Once its on, its on. It wont move and wont leave sticky residue. All you use is scotch tape to lift it up and even that takes a couple of tries. I use Clarivue on all my electronics such as digital cameras, PSP, DS and all my cellphones even for family members.
    01-07-09 07:53 AM
    I have both!!!! I noticed when I bought the Storm the girl put shield on using something gucky, I'm wondering how hard it would be to clean the screen in order to put iphone screen protector on... Great idea!
    01-07-09 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD