i have a small amount of dust under my screen. Does verizon have to replace my storm? Got it dec 27th
    03-03-09 07:50 PM
    yes, they will replace it.. they replaced 2 of my storms for the same reason.. call them up, and they will send you out a phone in 2 days
    03-03-09 07:53 PM
    can i do it at the store?
    03-03-09 07:54 PM
    u posted in the wrong subforum, for future reference this belongs in http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/
    03-03-09 07:54 PM
    u posted in the wrong subforum, for future reference this belongs in http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/
    Eh wrong or not they will move it sooner or later .
    Yes they SHOULD replace it... there was a 30-day return thing too but not sure it affects this. Not so excellent among all that stuff.
    03-03-09 08:30 PM
    i have a small amount of dust under my screen. Does verizon have to replace my storm? Got it dec 27th
    You have to call them, they will not replace it in the store. *611 from your mobile or call 1-800-922-0204 and they will send you out another one
    03-04-09 08:29 AM
    But a refurb - right??
    03-04-09 09:48 AM
    After 30 days they can give you a refurb. But there is a good chance that you will get a new device. There refurbs are just starting to populate the refurb supply chain. I can confirm that this is in fact true from personal experience. Just received my 7th Storm. All except two were new FRUs with recent (< 2 weeks old) manufacture dates. One was a brand new device, the other a very much like new refurb. VZW has been great with replacements, the process is easy, go for it if you have any complaints about your current device.
    03-04-09 10:07 AM
    After 30 days they can give you a refurb. But there is a good chance that you will get a new device. There refurbs are just starting to populate the refurb supply chain. I can confirm that this is in fact true from personal experience. Just received my 7th Storm. All except two were new FRUs with recent (< 2 weeks old) manufacture dates. One was a brand new device, the other a very much like new refurb. VZW has been great with replacements, the process is easy, go for it if you have any complaints about your current device.
    7 new storms???

Wow. Why have you blown through so many?

My screen is starting to look like it could use some Selsun Blue.
    Last edited by Rodsky11; 03-04-09 at 10:22 AM.
    03-04-09 10:14 AM
    Has anyone ever contacted RIM about the dust issue on the Storm? New or old, replacement or not...they all will eventually get dust under the screen due to the SurePress technology. Just wondering what RIM's remarks have been regarding the dust issue.
    03-04-09 11:22 AM
    7 new storms???

Wow. Why have you blown through so many?

My screen is starting to look like it could use some Selsun Blue.
    First device wouldn't press easily in the upper left, second wouldn't click in the bottom corners, third would not click anywhere, it was the refurb. Kept number four for more than a month until dust was a big problem. Five had click problems lower left.
    Six has a microphone issue. Seven is on the counter waiting to be setup.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 11:44 AM
    I have/had the dust problem, I emailed verizon and the gave me the address
    to the closest verizon tech in my area stating that they might be able to remove the
    screen and clean it rather than giving me a replacement. I decided to just clean it
    Myself and was very successful. I'll wait and see if RIM solves this issue before
    Actually trying to get a replacement or getting a new through the insurance.

I am now dust free!!!

03-04-09 03:28 PM
    I have/had the dust problem, I emailed verizon and the gave me the address
    to the closest verizon tech in my area stating that they might be able to remove the
    screen and clean it rather than giving me a replacement. I decided to just clean it
    Myself and was very successful. I'll wait and see if RIM solves this issue before
    Actually trying to get a replacement or getting a new through the insurance.

I am now dust free!!!

What procedure did you follow to remove the dust? Did you remove the screen from the device, or leave the screen in place and lift up the digitizer?
    03-04-09 03:38 PM
    I am going in tomorrow to get my second trade in storm from verizon due to dust. Customer Service as well as tech support both told me I have a 1 year warranty and the dust falls under factory defect. They also explained due to the fact the phone is selling quite well still and it is fairly new I will be getting a brand new phone if I go to the store I purchased it from, they said it will most likely be a brand new storm for the next few months at least.
    03-04-09 03:40 PM
    WOW. Dust under the screen, be more careful and the guy who went through 7 Storms, this is what things are the way they are. WOW.
    03-04-09 03:52 PM
    WOW. Dust under the screen, be more careful and the guy who went through 7 Storms, this is what things are the way they are. WOW.
    It would be really bad if we were reporting dozens of different physical defects. Instead we have only really seen the two manufacturing issues, dust and the clicking problem. Because all of the devices were built in the same time frame and from the same assembly lines they should all either work the same or be broke the same, right?

It means their manufacturing process is consistent. Anything that happens over and over can be fixed or caught by quality assurance improvements.
    03-04-09 08:15 PM
    Hate to burst your bubble, but getting another Storm....there is a good posibility that the new one will get dust in the screen to. Mine has it, matter fact all 4 of mine have it. Dont let it get to you, just look beyond the dust
    03-04-09 08:21 PM
    I have had 2 storms the first one had a screen click problem but not a dust problem.

The 2nd storm started getting dust under the screen after the first week, I dealt with it for a couple months. It was REALLY bad I got it replaced today, you can tell this phone has a better seal there is not light coming from between the screen. So I'm hopeful for this new one.
    03-04-09 09:15 PM
    I've been debating calling to replace my Storm yet again...this would be the first time for dust though. I have two very large specks of something on the screen that actually appear to be dead pixels. May also just be dust...but it bugs the **** out of me. VZW will really replace for dust?
    03-04-09 09:55 PM
    What procedure did you follow to remove the dust? Did you remove the screen from the device, or leave the screen in place and lift up the digitizer?

I cant post links yet, just search for "under glass dust fix #2" and will give you the steps.

I used a cloth from my glasses since it will leave very little to no lint.

I've been a BB user for years however rarely post...
    03-05-09 12:18 AM
    I've been debating calling to replace my Storm yet again...this would be the first time for dust though. I have two very large specks of something on the screen that actually appear to be dead pixels. May also just be dust...but it bugs the **** out of me. VZW will really replace for dust?
    Don't let it bug you. Call and replace the phone if it bugs you at all. Verizon CSR should replace for dust without any question.
    03-05-09 06:21 AM
    Currently I have one or two specks of dust under my screen but one is right in the middle and annoys the **** out of me. I plan to wait and see if it gets worse, and if it does I'll call to hopefully get a new phone. I guess I'm just a bit worried because I haven't really had any problems with mine and don't want to end up with one that has other problems.
    03-05-09 06:30 AM
    I could live with a couple specs, but the problem is that indicates you have a poor seal, and more dust is entirely possible. They DO replace Storms for dust issues it's a know issue.
    03-05-09 09:14 AM
    Just called VZW customer rep, told him there was dust in middle of screen. Should receive replacement within 2 working days. I love MOST of their customer service people!
    03-05-09 02:01 PM
    I just called VZW as well, the *611 number, I said there was dust under the screen that obscured the text and they told me that I had to go and see a technician to confirm that the screen wasn't set properly.. did anyone else have to go through this?
    03-06-09 04:32 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD