Hi, This is just a little rant from me, and make sure you read the whole post before you post a responce because otherwise its just not valid.

I have had the Storm since Day 1 and well now I am waiting on my Fathers upgrade to get another phone because I don't want to be tied to this phone for another 12 months.

I didn't buy it for bussiness as that was not as it was advertised. It advertised as powerful multimedia device and well sadly its not.

To me multimedia isn't just videos and music. Its Games, Entertained aimed Applications, Radio, Internet, Social Applications and much more. So I am pretty dissapointed with the Storms media capabilities. Now lets look at another mutimedia device, the iPhone. Now before any of you jump in with "Its not an iPhone". Well its definatly in competition with it and always has been, and you compare objects and tech to its competiton.

The iPhone is a great piece of Tech, I don't own one because I am not a Fan of O2 and am a loyal Vodafone customer, have been for many years. Now the iPhone pretty much has everything I am looking for apart from the fact its on O2.

Now RIM could of given the Storm the ability to actually be a top notch multimedia device but sadly they didn't.
    It can only play one sound at a time. This one thing alone puts me off buying a RIM product for the rest of my life. I don't know how a company is capable of letting something like this happen. To m it shows either a lack of research on the chipsets they used or to lazy to find a better chipset. I think my 5 year old Motarola can play more then one sound at once.

Then you have the coding issue. Java is the great format it once was, its dated and tired now. Andorid, which is based of Java can run C++/C programs hence why it is such a great platform. Now its even getting Flash 10 so it can use Flash Scripts aswell. You can't push Java anymore so hence why the Storm will suffer from cheap, nasty games. I don't know why RIM would base such a proforming machine on such an old format.

My N95 8GB, running Synbian 60 (I think) has much less limiations then this device. I have Quake running off it with a GBA and NES emulator. Will we ever see this on the Storm ? Sadly not as, to my knowlegde an Emulator cannot be written in Java.

If your going to make the remark "Well the Storm wasn't made to play games". So what ? That is saying the Storm shouldn't compete with the competition, it should on all aspect. All the saying "Its a Storm, not an iPhone" argument is completely stupid aswell.

Lets put it this way. You go and buy a TV, lets say a Sony. Its priced at $2000. Also in the Store is a Sharp which is at the same price, same internal features etc
    You take the SOny home to find its picture quality is not up to scratch. SO you take it back and say "Look this Sony is the same price as the Sharp but the picture quality is worse" and the manager just replies "Its a Sony, not a Sharp"

If the iPhone/N95/etc can run decent games and entertaining Apps. Then why shouldn't the Storm ? I mean its a competor, it was said to be multimedia but sadly its not up the the same multimedia level as lots of other phones.

Sorry to drag on but I just got to say it. I will give this phone until April to shine out in my required department before I go ahead and make my Dad make his upgrade to a N97 and give him the Storm.
    Since he is only cares for bussiness functions so it will suite him no end. That is what the Storm is great at! I truly just think RIM should stick to what there good at. Bussiness.

/Rant

P.s. If you are not intrested in Multimedia features then by all means the storm is a great phone. For me its fast, reliable and hardly freezes up.
    02-19-09 07:31 PM
    Can I ask you what you mean by one sound at a time? Why would that ever be an issue?

I think you have valid points but the thing is just not an Iphone(yet). There are games slowly coming out for it & the other apps work they just aren't as polished yet.
    02-19-09 07:43 PM
    Can I ask you what you mean by one sound at a time? Why would that ever be an issue?

I think you have valid points but the thing is just not an Iphone(yet). There are games slowly coming out for it & the other apps work they just aren't as polished yet.

The souud issues is massive, espically for games. It means only a single sound can be played at a time. I.e. One note on a virtual piano at a time or in a shooting game only one gun can have a firing noise at one time. It also means no background music and defianly no emulators at all.
    02-19-09 07:51 PM
    I think you pretty much sound like every one else that hates on the Storm. It is almost as if ppl go buy a Storm just to come here and tell everyone how much they dislike it. I'm starting to think AT&T and Apple have a marketing plan to try and sway the consumers opinions by invading forums.

The phone is the first of it's kind from RIM so just like anything that is first generation, it will take time to perfect. The media is good enough for me to enjoy music, watch movies/videos or view pics on a long business trip.

I think trying to compare the two is like trying to compare Windows to a Mac. One provides better tools for business where the other is for entertainment.

Do I think the phone is perfect, No! But IMO, it is great for me.
    And all this nit-picking about "Only one sound can be played" or "My Storm doesn't rub my back" is getting stupid. If you want a toy, then stick to the Iphone or something else that meets your needs.

**Drops 2 pennies**
    02-20-09 11:57 AM
    I think you pretty much sound like every one else that hates on the Storm. It is almost as if ppl go buy a Storm just to come here and tell everyone how much they dislike it. I'm starting to think AT&T and Apple have a marketing plan to try and sway the consumers opinions by invading forums.

The phone is the first of it's kind from RIM so just like anything that is first generation, it will take time to perfect. The media is good enough for me to enjoy music, watch movies/videos or view pics on a long business trip.

I think trying to compare the two is like trying to compare Windows to a Mac. One provides better tools for business where the other is for entertainment.

Do I think the phone is perfect, No! But IMO, it is great for me.
    And all this nit-picking about "Only one sound can be played" or "My Storm doesn't rub my back" is getting stupid. If you want a toy, then stick to the Iphone or something else that meets your needs.

**Drops 2 pennies**
    Only one sound can be played is called nit-picking. I am sorry but that single line voids your whole post.
    Every phone I can think of can do more then one sound at a time. Ask any app developer and he will say its possibly one of the worst limitations you could have.

I bought the storm becuase it was advertised as a Multimedia device that was said to be capable of running great apps, multitasking etc but it isn't

Maybe its good enough for YOU but not for me. Do you have any sense at all ? Your post just seems to be bashing me for not praising the the phone. I really think you need to grow up
    If I have paid for something sup par in what it was advertised I have full right to complain about.

And you obviously didn't read my whole post because I said I couldn't get an iPhone because I am not on O2. Please don't post if your not going to post constructivly this is a RANT and RAVES forum, so yes I can speak badly of the phone

I await someone with a decent amount of intelligence to post instead of some half wit bashing me for not liking the phone
    02-20-09 03:31 PM
    Why wouldn't you just return it within 30 days then?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

02-20-09 03:44 PM
    I agree with your look on it. I have been a Nokia fan and if I wasn't on TELUS, I would've gone and picked up the N95 on Rogers. The gaming capabilities on the N95 are really good, the other day I was playing Metal Gear Solid on it, which was really sweet.

I doubt we will be able to see games of that caliber on the Storm, but I do believe that games similar to the iPhone might be possible.

Also, the N97 is an amazing device and if it lives up to the hype I am definitely getting one once my contract is done.

In response to your original statement that the Storm is not a proper multimedia device, I personally don't like heavy games on a phone because of two reasons, 1) I've never had any other than some addicting puzzle games (nintaii/tetris) etc and 2) I don't believe cellphone games are that great anyways and its a waste of battery life. I would rather play games on my nintendo DS, but to kill some time on the subway sure I'd break out the games.

So what I'm saying is that the since the iPhone and even Nokia have had great app development support, I believe with the same support, the Storm can be almost as good as those two. Take for instance the Facebook application which I believe is one of the best iPhone apps. I am even considering getting an iPod touch just to use that app lol. Compare that to the lowly version we have for BB's. Can the storm get a similar app? I am sure it can. So I would wait on the app store and see what is provided until making a final decision.
    02-20-09 03:51 PM
    OP: I understand what you are saying about the Storm not performing like it should in the multimedia department. I am not sure if it is a code limitation or a hardware limitation.

RIM has done some questionable issue with how they have rolled out a few of their past phones and with the Storm it is no different. I think most of the issue you are un happy with should be able to be resolved but it is not going to happen by April IMHO.

I am unhappy on a few things but I cant blame RIM for all of them. One is the lack of updates coming out that are official. Yes I know RIM poops them out and the carriers have there pick of them to test out and when they are happy they make it official. But this is crazy. It reminds me of the draconian OS releases of WinMo devices. I am also unhappy how the Storm has to stop playing one sound for another sound to be played as you. But hey maybe they intended it that way? I am also unhappy with some portions of the build quality as in the 4 buttons on the bottom and the light shining through (no need to beat this horse anymore it is already dead). Lastly I don't like the limitation of the memory it has. I mean why have 1gig of on board memory and an expansion slot if you cant load more than a few apps at a time on the device before it starts loosing its mind and acting all stupid?

We can rant on the negatives all day long and people will either say get an iPhone or why did you keep the device past your 30 days cause some of them and not all of them are using that to shield themselves away from the same unhappiness they share also. Some are just hardcore RIM followers and their are a few who are completely happy with the device.

I want my VZW branded Storm to be all it can be but I also want it done in a timely fashion. I understand the penalty I took by being an early adopter with the Storm but RIM should have also stepped up to the plate a little better.
    02-20-09 03:57 PM
    Only one sound can be played is called nit-picking. I am sorry but that single line voids your whole post.
    Every phone I can think of can do more then one sound at a time. Ask any app developer and he will say its possibly one of the worst limitations you could have.

I bought the storm becuase it was advertised as a Multimedia device that was said to be capable of running great apps, multitasking etc but it isn't

Maybe its good enough for YOU but not for me. Do you have any sense at all ? Your post just seems to be bashing me for not praising the the phone. I really think you need to grow up
    If I have paid for something sup par in what it was advertised I have full right to complain about.

And you obviously didn't read my whole post because I said I couldn't get an iPhone because I am not on O2. Please don't post if your not going to post constructivly this is a RANT and RAVES forum, so yes I can speak badly of the phone

I await someone with a decent amount of intelligence to post instead of some half wit bashing me for not liking the phone
    So because the phone doesn't make more than one sound at a time when you are playing your piano or flute app, you're mad? Stop it. Then you come back to say I have no intelligence because I commented on your BS. LOL, OK. I'm sure you realized how much you didn't like the phone in the first 30 days, so why didn't you exchange it?

And yes I read all that nonsense you posted.
    02-20-09 04:54 PM
    So because the phone doesn't make more than one sound at a time when you are playing your piano or flute app, you're mad? Stop it. Then you come back to say I have no intelligence because I commented on your BS. LOL, OK. I'm sure you realized how much you didn't like the phone in the first 30 days, so why didn't you exchange it?

Sigh

How about the majority of games such as a super mario game or an fps or a racing game or an rpg.... See why I insulted your intelligence. We can't even have music playing when we play unless we mute it. So no its not BS or nonsense. Grow upp

02-20-09 06:09 PM

Sigh

How about the majority of games such as a super mario game or an fps or a racing game or an rpg.... See why I insulted your intelligence. We can't even have music playing when we play unless we mute it. So no its not BS or nonsense. Grow upp

02-20-09 06:10 PM
    I'm really not getting your argument of how the storm was advertised as a multimedia device. The storm did in fact come from RIM, which has always been known to put out phones that were capable of doing enterprise business, fast and efficiently.

I bought this phone because it fitted my needs. I'm a full time student who uses my storm for emails, messages, and phone calls, with the added benefit of listening to music, watching videos, and taking pictures. Apparently your needs wanted a phone that could play games and do it efficiently.

i mean if you really wanted a "true" multimedia device, you could have saved two grand and bought yourself a psp or a ds.
    02-20-09 06:42 PM
    Sigh

I must say you got me sir. Your reasoning is far superior. I need to grow up, but you are the one crying over the GAMES you can't hear like you want to on a phone. Seems like you have a lot of time on your hands. I shall move on.

I say good day sir

02-20-09 06:52 PM
    This was RIMs attempt at the general public and it was advertised as a multimedia phone. RIM should defiantly stick to business as they haven't an ounce of clue how to make a functioning multimedia phone.
    Even the videoplayer is terrible, its near impossible to get to a decent spot in the video and it lags and hangs half the time.
    Youtube quality is bad, very bad.

Great that it does what you want but not great from me. It doesn't live up to any of its competition in this department

@Hatea I am not crying its just false advertisement annoyes me. So what if I would like some entertainment on phone? That makes me immature because ?
    Please get out of mt thread as you offer nothing of value like the other members
    Last edited by MaxL; 02-20-09 at 07:04 PM.
    02-20-09 07:00 PM
    You can't say anything negative about the storm here. If you do you'll only be met with "go get an iphone then" or "why didn't you return it within your 30 days?" A little while back, you would also be met with "you're a troll" or "mine works fine, you just don't know how to use it then."

With that said, if you think the Storm was NOT intended to be a multimedia device then you are mistaken. Yes it's not as good as its competition, but it is a much better multimedia device than past BB's.

02-20-09 07:23 PM
    I'm sorry but I really don't see how the 1 sound issue is that big of a deal either. Maybe it's a problem for developers but good games can still be made even if the sound is monophonic. The 2 games that came with the phone are just fine and some of the others I checked out were OK...

Youtube quality - totally agree with you on that one. Not even worth jackin with youtube at all on this device. They need to fix that nonsense.

As far the multimedia experience you are complaining about, eh it could be better but I def wouldn't say its false advertising. It's done everything I've expected it to. Maybe my standards are low since I came to this from a Sammy i730 hah
    02-20-09 07:32 PM
    First off it wasn't falsely advertised, it IS a multimedia device! It was not advertised as a "multi channel" audio device. I found this out within first week having phone. Sucks that its that big of a deal for you though! Sorry!

02-20-09 08:04 PM
    Yes it's not as good as its competition, but it is a much better multimedia device than past BB's.
    Bingo.

Although that being said, I played the Dark Knight on an iPhone and a Storm. There's no comparison in terms of ease of use (iPhone whomps the Storm). But the image quality (I'm willing to admit bias here) and definitely the sound quality (speaker is much better on the Storm) was superior on the Storm.
    02-20-09 08:39 PM
    I agree with MaxL. The limitations are very disappointing as a first time BB buyer. I specifically chose the Storm over the Bold, based on the impression given of a fully functional multimedia device comparable to the iphone.

Single channel audio, nonfunctional gpu, and an extremely limited app memory space are all elements of my disappointment. They seem to have half-assed many aspects of this device from the start. The comments coming out of RIM have further reinforced my disappointment. They project a blase attitude about customer perceptions and dissatisfaction. This will likely be my first and last BB. C'est la vie
    Last edited by catbertz; 02-21-09 at 12:32 AM.
    02-20-09 08:40 PM
    I'm curious about the inability to play multiple sounds. It seems like such an incredible oversight. I can buy $10 toy keyboards from Target that are polyphonic.

It's not an issue just for games, either. I love the fact that I can use my Storm to listen to streaming music, but I have to set the thing to Vibrate or else my music outright stops playing as soon as a notification chimes in. That's ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Storm. It's leaps and bounds better than any phone I've ever had, and the connectivity one gets from a BlackBerry is amazing. I also acknowledge that I'm an early adopter. That being said, that does not excuse many of the faults we still have to put up with on ths otherwise phenomenal device.
    02-20-09 09:03 PM
    Bingo.

Although that being said, I played the Dark Knight on an iPhone and a Storm. There's no comparison in terms of ease of use (iPhone whomps the Storm). But the image quality (I'm willing to admit bias here) and definitely the sound quality (speaker is much better on the Storm) was superior on the Storm.
    I have to agree with you on these two points. The Storm's speaker and screen quality is better than the iPhone's for sure.

02-20-09 09:50 PM
    Sorry if this is dumb but I am just confused about how the storm can play songs if it can only play one sound at a time don't songs play multiple sounds at a time? can anyone explain please?

I also do not understand why you guys are saying o people are just going to say why didn't you return it within the 30 days or get a different device not necessarily an iphone but a different verizon phone. Of course they are because it's common sense and people find it strange that you don't use it. Why in the world would you keep your phone if you don't like it?

"We can rant on the negatives all day long and people will either say get an iPhone or why did you keep the device past your 30 days cause some of them and not all of them are using that to shield themselves away from the same unhappiness they share also. Some are just hardcore RIM followers and their are a few who are completely happy with the device."

And this comment is kind of rediculous maybe the majority of crackberry users are unhappy with their storm (which i still don't think is the case). But they also know a lot more about blackberrys than the average joe to claim that most people are unhappy with the device is jumping to conclusions. Show me some evidence of this and I will stand corrected.

I am not hiding unhappiness or an extreme RIM follower this is my first phone that has had anytthing to do with RIM. But I definitely like my storm so i guess I am one of the few who like it.....
    02-20-09 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD