Well at least not in 11 degree weather with gloves on.
    I really don't like the fact of the touch screen needing capacitance
    and I'm wearing my thin driving gloves... after all it is winter here !
    I make alot of call (and ya ya no texting while driving) but the
    voice dial is iffy.. I get the correct name/numer maybe 1 ot of 3 times
    and I've tried 3 diff bt earsets

But I know this problem will go away once the temp reaches 50 or so ;-)
    01-15-09 09:07 AM

Agreed its a bit of a pickle but it occured to me the other day that just as my gloved fingers can't make it do anything neither can any other surface it brushes up against. Walking around with it in my pocket I used to cringe thinking of the backlight coming on over and over again (even if the screen is locked) any time there was pressure put on it. But it shouldnt (I think), given the lack of a warm finger to get it geared up.

Anyway, agreed it can be a pain. Probably more so for some. But theres an upside...
    01-15-09 09:10 AM
    Congrats! You have a touch screen phone! Unfortunatly, that's just how these types of devices work - they need the heat register to understand where you touched the screen...
    01-15-09 09:39 AM
    Try getting some smaller fingers - LOL.

Seriously - sorry. This could happen on many phones. It's not FAIR to be this cold!!!
    01-15-09 09:39 AM
    01-15-09 09:45 AM
    LOL - now I've seen IT ALL ! ! !
    01-15-09 09:48 AM
    North Face has something that might work but a bit much at $40, it's called the E-tip gloves.
    01-15-09 09:53 AM
    Congrats! You have a touch screen phone! Unfortunatly, that's just how these types of devices work - they need the heat register to understand where you touched the screen...
    Not to be nitpicky but capacitive touch screens have nothing to do with heat and everything to do with electrical capacitance.

Just trying to clarify so people don't think they can just warm up their glove and have it work.
    01-15-09 10:00 AM

Oh brother. What next, compliants about the 3.5 mm headphone jack rubbing against peoples legs?
    01-15-09 10:08 AM
    I wish it was 11 degrees here! That would feel tropical at this point!

Here in MN it is hovering around 27 below, feeling like 50 below w/ the windchill!
    01-15-09 10:10 AM
    I wish it was 11 degrees here! That would feel tropical at this point!

Here in MN it is hovering around 27 below, feeling like 50 below w/ the windchill!
    And I thought I was cold at -7! Bundle up!!!
    01-15-09 10:12 AM
    I am - for the most part.

Driving the 4 miles to work I never wear gloves though, and am always fiddling with my Storm while walking to my car. The good news is it doesn't seem to slow down nearly as much as my iTouch in the cold weather!
    01-15-09 10:17 AM
    Yeah - anything Apple doesn't like the cold! My Storm is pretty good in the weather too. I was shoveling snow yesterday w/ my iPod touch running and it was taking up to 2 seconds to switch screens!
    01-15-09 10:18 AM
    North Face has something that might work but a bit much at $40, it's called the E-tip gloves.
    I have them. They do work. Not as good as your bare fingertips, but they do the job. They are not warm gloves at all though. The gloves are cut a bit small (the XLs are a hair small for me, but I make it work). They're very good for manipulating things. I can use my keys, write, etc. with them on.
    01-15-09 10:21 AM
    here's a solution....don't wear driving gloves, never understood the point of those anyway...youre in a car
    01-15-09 10:21 AM
    here's a solution....don't wear driving gloves, never understood the point of those anyway...youre in a car
    Have you ever been in a car after it's been idle overnight when it's -27F out? It means that it's -27 INSIDE THE CAR. Imagine trying to drive your car but your steering wheel is made of ice. Yeah the car's heat works but it still takes time for the engine to warm up. Think before you speak.

*EDIT* COLDER than ice actually since water freezes at a balmy 32F.
    Last edited by jlye834; 01-15-09 at 10:45 AM.
    01-15-09 10:40 AM
    Weird I don't have that problem at all...maybe because it's in the 70's here in FL....Losers!
    01-15-09 10:48 AM
    Lol I've been in a car when it's below zero. That's why I have a remote starter - warms the car up before I ever get to it! sucker
    01-15-09 10:54 AM
    Have you ever been in a car after it's been idle overnight when it's -27F out? It means that it's -27 INSIDE THE CAR. Imagine trying to drive your car but your steering wheel is made of ice. Yeah the car's heat works but it still takes time for the engine to warm up. Think before you speak.

*EDIT* COLDER than ice actually since water freezes at a balmy 32F.
    Yes I have. I don't see the need for gloves. Leather and plastic warm up eventually. There comes a point where you have to man up and grow a pair.
    01-15-09 11:10 AM
    Exactly mustang! driving gloves, HA! it takes mere minutes for the steering wheel to warm up, its just leather.
    01-15-09 11:37 AM
    ill vouche for him Worcester, MA is WICKED COLD!!!!! like 11 degrees out right now.

man up and take the driving gloves off though.
    01-15-09 11:48 AM
    I totally bought gloves with the fingers missing and the ability to make them into mittens too...just so i could text while i'm walking to and from class in the winter.

a little over the top? yea but I'm addicted!
    01-15-09 12:40 PM
    I lived in syracuse for years and used to wear shorts while i was shoveling...and some people complain about their steering wheels being cold, ugh man up
    01-15-09 01:11 PM
    There's a piece in today's Wall Street Journal that lists a handful of gloves that are made to work with iPhone. Presume they'd similarly work with Storm.

Try this link. I think it'll work for non-subscribers for at least a few days.
    01-15-09 01:18 PM
    Nice link. Here is a copy and paste incase its no longer viewable

Consumers who want to stay warm and still use their Apple hand-held gadgets might want to try iPod- and iPhone-compatible gloves. The gloves range from the low-tech, where the tips of the fingers are exposed, to more sophisticated models that conduct static electricity through the glove from your fingertips to the iPod click wheel.

Most of the gloves were usable with both the click wheel of the latest iPod classic and nano and the screen of the iPhone. The gloves do keep the hands warm. But when it comes to operating the latest high-tech communication devices, nothing compares to the precision of the bare finger. And if you plan on texting without exposing your fingers, do allow yourself more time and patience.

Dots Gloves for iPhone
    Price: $15 for knit, $20 for wool
    Availability: D O T S
    Comment: The gloves have a metal dot at the tip of each thumb and index finger, to contact the iPhone's touch screen. The design worked for us. Dots Gloves says the dots' smooth texture should keep them from scratching the screen, but warns not to use them if the dots are scratched. As with most of the gloves we tested, it was a challenge to text. It was also difficult to enlarge and shrink photos or Web sites, which generally requires using the sides, not the tips, of your thumb and index finger.

Freehands Gloves
    Price: $20 for fleece, $30 for stretch, $40 for leather
    Availability: www.shop.freehands.com
    Comment: These remind us of hobo gloves. The index finger and thumb have small flaps that, when open, reveal the top half of each finger. Although very elementary in design, these gloves do the trick. However, it might be cheaper to just buy any pair of gloves and cut off the fingers, especially since Freehands Gloves come only in black and aren't particularly stylish.

The North Face E-Tip Gloves
    Price: $40
    Availability: www.thenorthface.com
    Comment: At first blush, these gloves' futuristic design looks more suited for a gamer. The tip of the index finger and thumb are covered with so-called X-static fabric, which contains a layer of silver. Though the action was slightly more awkward than a human touch for the screen and slide wheel, we found these gloves the easiest to use among the ones we tested that still left our hands covered.

180s Gloves
    Price: $35 for EcoTec, $40 for Puffy Quilt (women only), $50 for Powder and Powder Mitt
    Availability: 180s: Home
    Comment: This active-wear company markets iPod-compatible gloves in different styles, ranging from the lightweight to heavy ski gloves, each of which has static-electricity conductive fabric dots at the finger tips. We tested all four of the styles listed above and were unsuccessful in getting them to work with the latest iPod nano or iPod classic at a local Apple store. Debby Phelps, director of product development at 180s, says the glove technology should work with the fourth- and fifth-generation iPod classic and first-through-fourth-generation iPod nano. The company says the gloves aren't designed to work with iPhones or iPod touch devices.
    I'll take the Northface ETIP just because I like Northface products.
    Last edited by y2bandit; 01-15-09 at 01:37 PM.
    01-15-09 01:30 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD