I highly doubt that the Storm has been discontinued, but I have to admit... I do wonder why none of the people in the know (CX, Sith, etc...) put these threads to rest with a simple 'no... the Storm is not discontinued' comment.
    03-02-09 09:20 PM
    I heard they are getting rid of the Curve 8900 too. A guy at the Apple Store told me.

All jesting aside, I think you were the recipient of layoff-tainted information.
    03-02-09 09:29 PM
    Storm 2 confirmed? Proof please? Iphone 2? Show me the facts!
    Posts like these came out after the FCC applications were shown on BGR and Enhadget:

BlackBerry 5-Megapixel Storm 2 In the Works

As for the iPhone2, go to any Apple store tech for a confirmation.
    03-02-09 09:51 PM
    ummm by selling the phone at $200 verizon is already taking a hit... all cell companies in america r by selling them at discounted prices... read the tag next time u go in the store and look for full retail price. thats what vw pays everytime they buy a phone. cell phone companies dont make money on phone they make it on service. thats y u have to sign a contract. cricket doesnt make u sign a contract and u pay full retail or close to it for phones.

i highly doubt that they bought hundreds of thousands of phones wholesale at full retail price. That price (manufacturers suggested retail price, not company wholesale price) is what you pay so verizon makes money if you dont sign a new contract. By signing the new contract they have guaranteed income for 2 years, and even if you cancel you pay an almost 200$ fee. By selling at that price they make money without having your contract income. I would bet verizon pays 200$, probably even less given the volume that they buy, per device.
    03-02-09 09:52 PM
    I went into our local alltel store today with a question concerning one our familys alltel phones. Asked them when they would be carrying Verizon phones. Was told they could get pearl and curve now. Asked about Storm and they told me they were being discontinued and they could not get them. That is why verizon was selling them 2 for 1 now. Has anyone heard about this discontinuation. I have had mine for 3 weeks now, love it but would consider giving it up after my 30 day guarentee if this is the case. Any input would be appreciated. Maybe just a wicked rumor. Thanks.

you are correct about the wicked rumor... the Storm is going nowhere.
    03-02-09 09:59 PM
    i highly doubt that they bought hundreds of thousands of phones wholesale at full retail price. That price (manufacturers suggested retail price, not company wholesale price) is what you pay so verizon makes money if you dont sign a new contract. By signing the new contract they have guaranteed income for 2 years, and even if you cancel you pay an almost 200$ fee. By selling at that price they make money without having your contract income. I would bet verizon pays 200$, probably even less given the volume that they buy, per device.

Not quite bud... You have almost everything right in here except that last sentence... Verizon does not pay $500... but they don't pay less than $200 either. I can't tell you how I know, but I can tell you that I do know...
    03-02-09 10:02 PM
    Yeah I don't know what Verizons
    price is, I'm just going off what I know about business

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 10:09 PM
    Not quite bud... You have almost everything right in here except that last sentence... Verizon does not pay $500... but they don't pay less than $200 either. I can't tell you how I know, but I can tell you that I do know...
    The phone costs RIM $203 to manufacturer, that's raw parts. Take cheap labor into account $225. (I'm not sure how much time is spent to make one phone.) Regardless... Rim needs to make their money. So they sell it to Verizon for $400. Verizon sells it $500 to make their money. (Full retail without contract.)

Yes, RIM gets a small percentage of the data package's price. (Less than 10%, exact figures are around here somewhere, I think it's more like 5%.) This helps the upkeep of their network as all the data services on the phone are routed through RIM as well as provide a little bit of income.

Now verizon sells it to you for $200 when they paid $400. Average plan with data for a blackberry is approx $100. With that two year contract, you do the math. ($2400) That isn't exactly what they make when you take out network costs. (Each tower costs between $75,000 - $200,000 to build, the land is usually leased, so that adds on to the cost.) So in reality, they aren't making as much money as you think they are. It still pays for the phone, pays for the network, employees/operating expenses and lands a small bit of the original sum in their pockets.
    Last edited by Ravr; 03-02-09 at 10:21 PM.
    03-02-09 10:17 PM
    So... this was a joke thread... right??
    03-02-09 10:20 PM
    See I Told You So!

FYI,.. I was also told by a Verizon rep that the 9530 has been canceled and now on clearance soon to be replaced by a new WiFi model.
    roflmao! I want what you're smoking. Yes, Verizon is converting it's entire network to GSM so it can accommodate the 9520 with wifi. Use your head! The phone is selling like crazy...WHY would they discontinue it?

epic fail.
    03-02-09 10:21 PM
    roflmao! I want what you're smoking. Yes, Verizon is converting it's entire network to GSM so it can accommodate the 9520 with wifi. Use your head! The phone is selling like crazy...WHY would they discontinue it?

epic fail.
    Just FYI, their 4g network is GSM. (LTE) However the 4g network will exclusively be for data services, CDMA will remain for voice as well as the existing 3g network for devices that become outdated.
    03-02-09 10:24 PM
    ^^don't be to hard on this guy here, hes a little mentally challenged^^
    keep in mind that those arrows are also pointing up at you....
    03-02-09 10:26 PM
    Just FYI, their 4g network is GSM. (LTE) However the 4g network will exclusively be for data services, CDMA will remain for voice as well as the existing 3g network for devices that become outdated.
    Thanks Ravr, I've heard about the Verizon switch to LTE (possibly as early as the end of this year, apparently). However, that is completely irrelevant in this debate. Verizon is NOT discontinuing the current CDMA storm for a GSM version with wifi (9520) and I can't believe I am even writing this.

Can someone please remind me how many CDMA Storms have been sold since launch?
    03-02-09 10:28 PM
    Thanks for the link. But that article was super old. Nothing recent about the phone. *shrug*
    03-02-09 10:33 PM
    Average plan with data for a blackberry is approx $100. With that two year contract, you do the math. ($2400)
    i dont know what your talking about but my data package is $35.00 a month.
    $35x 24 months=$840.00
    03-02-09 10:42 PM
    i dont know what your talking about but my data package is $35.00 a month.
    $35x 24 months=$840.00
    Average plan WITH data...so voice + data (possibly + text, insurance, navigator) = $100 is what he is saying.

No idea if the average is $100 but it sure as **** aint $35
    03-02-09 10:46 PM
    pretty crazy
    03-02-09 10:50 PM
    It should go right down the toilet.

03-02-09 10:51 PM
    When I google it, this thread is the only result that shows up under that name.

I doubt that some store rep would be the first to find out about it.

But anything is possible. I hope it's just a rumour though - if they discontinue it, the possibility of RIM to stop making software upgrades will be very likely.
    03-02-09 10:54 PM
    verizon wireless customers =82,000,000x $100.00 a month average plan (data + voice)= $8,200,000,000 a month pre-tax

damn....
    03-02-09 10:58 PM
    Folks, No one is saying the Storm is going away. Its being replaced by an improved WiF equipped model. Everyone bitches "No WiFi" now they fix it and most likely a lot of other bugs along the way and everyone is un happy. I don't get it.
    03-02-09 11:07 PM
    Folks, No one is saying the Storm is going away. Its being replaced by an improved WiF equipped model. Everyone bitches "No WiFi" now they fix it and most likely a lot of other bugs along the way and everyone is un happy. I don't get it.
    Seriously doubt it. The backlash from people already owning a Storm would be tremendous. And if VZ did free exchanges...

Well let's just say I'd change my 401k to dump VZ stock
    03-02-09 11:57 PM
    vzw will NEVER allow wifi on any phone. thats where they make all their money is by charging us for data usage.
    03-03-09 12:02 AM
    Lol oh man. Some people.

03-03-09 12:03 AM
    Thanks Ravr, I've heard about the Verizon switch to LTE (possibly as early as the end of this year, apparently). However, that is completely irrelevant in this debate. Verizon is NOT discontinuing the current CDMA storm for a GSM version with wifi (9520) and I can't believe I am even writing this.

Can someone please remind me how many CDMA Storms have been sold since launch?

Something to consider is that the Storm can do CDMA and GSM. Once thier 4g is in place they will probably just tell you to go into your options and switch the signal it looks for. Rim doesn't have to build a newer model, and Verizon doesnt have to carry the 9520. Now I'm not sure if the storm could do the 4g speeds based on its hardware. I don't know any of the specs of LTE or the storm guts to know that. Someone else care to enlighten me?
    03-03-09 12:04 AM
102 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD