I went into our local alltel store today with a question concerning one our familys alltel phones. Asked them when they would be carrying Verizon phones. Was told they could get pearl and curve now. Asked about Storm and they told me they were being discontinued and they could not get them. That is why verizon was selling them 2 for 1 now. Has anyone heard about this discontinuation. I have had mine for 3 weeks now, love it but would consider giving it up after my 30 day guarentee if this is the case. Any input would be appreciated. Maybe just a wicked rumor. Thanks.
    03-02-09 06:45 PM
    no .. it is not discontinued. that is total BS>
    03-02-09 06:48 PM
    I'm sure that rep is just bitter because he's getting laid off
    03-02-09 06:49 PM
    lol...some of the things these reps at wireless stores tell customers is hilarious.
    03-02-09 06:50 PM
    I went into our local alltel store today with a question concerning one our familys alltel phones. Asked them when they would be carrying Verizon phones. Was told they could get pearl and curve now. Asked about Storm and they told me they were being discontinued and they could not get them. That is why verizon was selling them 2 for 1 now. Has anyone heard about this discontinuation. I have had mine for 3 weeks now, love it but would consider giving it up after my 30 day guarentee if this is the case. Any input would be appreciated. Maybe just a wicked rumor. Thanks.
    no siree.

the storm is only about 4 months old, and already one of the most popular phones on the market. we've had POS treos that have remained on the device lineup for over 2 years.

Verizon is pushing data services big time in 2009 and this is how they are doing it....BOGO blackberry's and agressive marketing.
    altel has no idea what there talking about

storm will be around for a LONNGGGGGG time to come
    See I Told You So!

FYI,.. I was also told by a Verizon rep that the 9530 has been canceled and now on clearance soon to be replaced by a new WiFi model.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 03-02-09 at 07:06 PM.
    03-02-09 06:51 PM
    No they are not, its already been posted in another tread from yesterday!
    03-02-09 06:52 PM
    just so you know, its buy 1 get ANY blackberry of your choice for free with a line. not just a storm, but any blackberry of your liking
    03-02-09 06:52 PM
    See I Told You So!

^^don't be to hard on this guy here, hes a little mentally challenged^^
    03-02-09 06:53 PM
    Great! Thanks for the assurance cause I really love this phone
    03-02-09 06:55 PM
    no siree.

the storm is only about 4 months old, and already one of the most popular phones on the market. we've had POS treos that have remained on the device lineup for over 2 years.

Verizon is pushing data services big time in 2009 and this is how they are doing it....BOGO blackberry's and agressive marketing.

that makes perfect sense, take the 200$ hit from the phone, but you get an extra 45$ from everyone that gets one every month. brilliant.
    03-02-09 06:57 PM
    that makes perfect sense, take the 200$ hit from the phone, but you get an extra 45$ from everyone that gets one every month. brilliant.
    And even with the 29.99 data plan lets say 30 bucks times 12 is 360 x 2 year contract =720 not bad

And people wonder why the economy is FUBARED...short minded thinking....
    03-02-09 07:12 PM
    Can you give us the number to that store and the reps name? I would like to give them a calll

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 07:21 PM
    Storm is not going anywhere

03-02-09 07:25 PM
    Keep spreading rumors. It won't change anything

03-02-09 07:28 PM
    Well what other reason would you have a $500 phone on sale 2 for 1!!! Thats crazy!! somthing fishy is going on. .. lol
    03-02-09 07:29 PM
    Verizon has to hit it's quota to keep the storm exclusive in the US and if you understand anything about business the Phone is NOT $500 dollars to VZW Rim subsidizes the phone when VZW sells one then they get between 29.99 and 49.99 a month for 2 years with a data plan. Everyone knows carriers don't make money on the phones they make it on the plans.
    03-02-09 07:35 PM
    A lot of providers lose money on the equipment honestly, with what Spaciorek said. So it's no big deal they're offering deals.

It's a tough economy right now, and Cell phones are starting slow down in sales so with the pure want the Storm has been on Verizon they're trying to keep their edge w/ the slowing down new customer base.

Also, ignore the "see i told you kid". He's an *****... we established that a few days ago.
    03-02-09 07:38 PM
    online any ******* can write anything
    03-02-09 07:49 PM
    I have to agree with Digitard. Carriers don�t make money on the handsets, nor do the manufactures according to this article in the Economist magazine from December 2008.

Thinking inside the box
    Dec 4th 2008
    From The Economist print edition

There is more to portable electronic gadgets than just fancy hardware

Illustration by Claudio Munoz

ELECTRONIC gadgets have changed a great deal in the past few years. Most obviously, they have become smaller, sleeker, smarter and more versatile. Billions of people now carry around tiny devices that are more powerful than the desktop computers of a few years ago. But these gadgets have also changed in a less obvious way. Once they were lumps of hardware, brought to life by a layer of software; today, they might be more accurately described as services in a box.
    It was ever thus with mobile phones, of course: the handset is useless without a network operator, and mobile phones are, in effect, the containers in which operators sell their services. But the handset and the network service have hitherto come from different companies. Operators do not manufacture their own phones, and handset-makers are not operators.
    But now device-makers are increasingly providing the services that power their devices�or, to look at things the other way around, building devices that encapsulate services they wish to offer. One of the first to do so was Research in Motion (RIM), the maker of the BlackBerry e-mail device. As well as making BlackBerrys, RIM also handles the delivery, using its own behind-the-scenes infrastructure, of e-mails to millions of its devices around the world. Similarly, Apple�s iPod started off as a piece of hardware in 2001, but it really took off in 2003 when Apple launched the iTunes Music Store, a service that makes it easy for iPod owners to download music, video and games to their devices, and which is now the leading online music retailer. Makers of satellite-navigation devices such as TomTom and Garmin are also moving from a focus solely on hardware to a greater emphasis on supplementary services�real-time traffic updates, information about the positions of speed cameras, revised versions of maps and so on.
    Now the biggest gadget-maker of all, in volume terms at least, is extending its push into services, and is trying to do all these things at once. Nokia, the world�s biggest handset-maker, sells nearly half a billion mobile phones a year, roughly two in every five. This week it added revamped mobile e-mail and navigation services to the music downloads it already offers on some of its handsets (see article). So convinced is Nokia of the importance of services that it reorganised itself last year into two divisions: one to build handsets, and the other to provide its growing suite of services, called Ovi.

At your service
    There are several motivations for the gadget-makers� shift into services. First, margins on hardware are generally lower than margins on services. Second, saturated markets in many parts of the world mean that hardware sales are slowing in some categories. Soon, everyone in western Europe who wants a satnav will have bought one; what will the manufacturers do then? Make money from subscriptions and updates, of course. At least, that�s the plan. Finally, services provide a way to hold on to customers. If you have signed up for a service tied to a particular gadget-maker, the thinking goes, you are less likely to switch to a different manufacturer�s device in future.
    The world�s most successful gadget-makers are those that have been quickest to recognise the importance of offering accompanying services. Makers of stand-alone music-players, such as Rio, have been unable to compete with Apple; and Motorola, once the top dog in mobile phones, let RIM, once an obscure Canadian start-up, grab the mobile e-mail market.
    With elaborate branding and advertising campaigns, gadget-makers have long promoted the idea that they were selling something more than just a bundle of electronics in a snazzy case. Now, funnily enough, some of them really are.
    03-02-09 07:52 PM
    ummm by selling the phone at $200 verizon is already taking a hit... all cell companies in america r by selling them at discounted prices... read the tag next time u go in the store and look for full retail price. thats what vw pays everytime they buy a phone. cell phone companies dont make money on phone they make it on service. thats y u have to sign a contract. cricket doesnt make u sign a contract and u pay full retail or close to it for phones.
    03-02-09 07:56 PM
    Given that Apple slashed their price by $300 to match BB, and BB already announced plans for the STORM 2, The current storm isn't going anywhere anytime soon, mostly because we can get a 16 GB card to match up with Apple's largest capacity phone, and by the iPHONE2 comes this summer, we'll have matching capacity cards (32GB, 64 GB.) as well!
    03-02-09 07:59 PM
    Another obvious reason for passing on incorrect information: you ask for a Storm, they don't carry them, so how to get you to buy what they DO have? Try to convince you that something is wrong with that phone, you won't like it, there are problems with it, or ... it's going away and you'll be stuck with a dinosaur.
    03-02-09 08:06 PM
    Storm 2 confirmed? Proof please? Iphone 2? Show me the facts!
    03-02-09 08:56 PM
102 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD