Have a cruise planned from LA to Santiago, Chile and was wondering if I can still use my storm for data access while on the ship? Not too concerned about the phone access, if something happens while we're gone, not much we can do about it anyway.......but to miss my emails???? Anyone know?
    The ship has wifi set up, but want to compare the costs (can always use my ITouch). Thanks!
    02-03-09 11:55 AM
    I think that cruise ships only support voice usage. The last time I went on a cruise it was $2.49 per minute. Once the ship has docked they turn off their cell service and then you would pick up on the network available for that area. If data is supported at that point then you should be able to pick up on it.
    02-03-09 12:03 PM
    I havent been on a cruise in about 3 years. But when i was on it last my phone completly stopped working about 3 hours outside any port. While on the ship it would pick up no reception at all. (from NJ-st. martin/st. thomas/hatii/ and somewhere else.)
    02-03-09 12:16 PM
    I've been fortunate enough to have been on quite a few cruises, 2 within the past year. On Royal Caribbean at least, most of their ships (maybe all of them by now) create their own cell phone signal. I have VZW, and on my old Razr Maxx it would allow me to send and receive txts, but it was a bit pricey (I was roaming). Voice calls also worked. I couldn't access WAP, but I'm not sure about the BB data services. I should also mention that the txt messages would be really weird sometimes.. for example I would send a few txts, and then minutes later from the same spot I couldn't get them to send. It's very fickle but it works. Have fun!
    02-03-09 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD