I am officially receiving my Storm this Wednesday the 10th finally after waiting and waiting and waiting for this friggin' phone, lol.

Anyway there are 1,000,000 threads on tips and tricks and different versions of the OS and of course I'll spend the countless hours reading these threads but I want to know what are the MUST DO things to the Storm?

I'm coming from a Curve so I'm very familiar with all of the different menus BB's have, etc. But I want to know how to setup an icon style theme I absolutely hate any other kind of theme like Zen, Today, etc. Is there a setting to change it to an icon theme?

Secondly, what touchscreen settings should I change? I've heard the optimal settings for the 3 different touchscreen settings are 100, 100, and 6? Or something along those lines?

Thirdly, does the charger for the Curve work for the Storm?

Fourthly, if I back up all of my data / contacts before I activate the Storm is there any issue with transferring over all of my data, settings, contacts, etc.?

Fifthly, I have a 1GB microSD card currently, and I know the Storm comes with the 8GB microSD card. Now I have about 100 videos and 300-400 pictures on my current microSD card, how can I move over everything to the 8GB card that comes with the Storm?

Sixthly, what's the final verdict on the touchscreen fix, in terms of putting a business card or two in between the battery and the battery door to improve the sensitivity of the screen?

Seventhly, through Verizon Wireless, is Visual Voicemail working correctly and worth the additional monthly charge?

Eighthly, what damn OS is going to come with the phone, and should I upgrade this when I get it? Because I definitely want the best OS obviously so I want to do any changes as soon as I receive the phone in the mail. From what I've read the .76 is the one I want to go with, will this come with the phone?
    12-08-08 05:39 PM
    4. I transfered my contacts over from my LG phone through Outlook and then syncing the Storm with the bundled software.

5. The 8gb card can be read on a computer. Just plug the phone to the computer via USB cable and i'll pop up in your 'My Computer' as another storage device. You will see 1gb for the phones internal memory and 8gb for the card itself. You can copy everything from your old microSD card onto your computer then transfer it to your new 8gb card.

7. Do you use voicemail alot? I don't and I don't think it's worth it. But that's your call.

8. I highly doubt .76 is coming with the phone. It's either .65 or .75. I could be wrong.
    12-08-08 05:50 PM
    First thing is to upload the new OS. Most likely it will not be installed but you can check to see what version you have by going to 'options' and selecting 'about' once your phone is ready to be used.

The media card is exactly that, it holds media and you should be able to swap. The only thing I can't say for sure is if your apps downloaded on your media card will work on the Storm (not sure how good RIM is on backwards compatibility).
    12-08-08 05:53 PM
    1) There is no real theme change on the Storm. However, you can adjust how many icons you want displayed on the home screen. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing though.

2) As far as the touchscreen settings are concerned, I have mine set to a Tap Interval of 400, a Hover Period of 100, and the Swipe Sensitivity set at 6. These settings seem to work fine for me, but I'm sure everyone has their own preferences so you might want to play around with it.

3) The chargers are different from the previous BlackBerry models. The curve and other devices used Mini USB. The Storm uses Micro USB now.

4) Backing up and restoring from an older device to the Storm was hassle free in my situation. I upgraded from an 8830 to the Storm and all my contacts, calendar entries and settings transferred over nicely. Just be sure to change the ESN on the BlackBerry BIS website so that your e-mail information converts over. However, be aware of any third party applications you may have because you might face compatibility issues. I would research the versions of software that you have to make sure they work on the Storm.

5) My suggestion to transfer everything over is to find an adapter card that allows you to plug your micro-sd card into a full sized SD card. I'm making a big assumption in thinking you have a card reader on your computer. If you do, you can just move everything to your computers hard drive and then switch cards in the adapter and transfer back over. If you don't have a card reader, a cable transfer through desktop manager would probably be your best shot. Bluetooth would take forever so I would avoid that option.

6) Screen issues to me are hardware based, but everyone has their own opinions about it. I personally did not have to do anything to improve the screen. I would play around with your device before altering the device, if you really think there is an issue, I would swap it out.

7) I have not tried Visual VoiceMail yet, therefore I won't comment on it.

8) Since the update is finally out, I would assume your device would come with .75, but if it does not, just perform the 30 minute OTA update to get the upgraded version. As far as .76 is concerned, I have not used it but after browsing the forums, it appears that there is not much of a difference between the two. I would play it by ear, but since you are a Verizon subscriber, I wouldn't make the change from .75 to .76. I would wait for them to officially release their own updates rather than performing device wipes and deleting vendor files. The .76 operating system is for another carrier, therefore Verizon will not support it and I would assume it would void the warranty on your device.

Hope this helps!
    12-08-08 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD