Like the title says...Is it possible to eventually allow the storm to not have to use the click screen feature? While there are many areas of the phone that I find the click feature very useful, there are others I wish I wish i could just touch the screen without clicking.

The reason I ask is, I have recently downloaded a few games that were clearly made for a phone with physical keys. Most games also require you to be able to push two buttons at once to operate smoothly. As you all know with the click screen it is not possible to hit to buttons at once without letting the screen click back up.

I would imagine that it is possible since, particularly in your email list, you can touch one area and another area at the same time to select multiple emails.

I recently downloaded a "Zelda remake" for the BB and it works good, but it would work great if there was only some way to be able to use two buttons at once.

Thanks!
    01-28-09 07:15 PM
    Possible: Yes; Probable: No.

This has been discussed numerous times, and it basically boils down to the fact that it would require a pretty substantial overhaul of the OS to support this option, and SurePress (the screen clicking tech) is probably the single most defining feature of the Storm, so it's unlikely RIM will get rid of it. They might make an all touch device in the future, but the Storm will almost certainly keep SurePress to help set it apart from all the Jesus Phone wannabes.
    01-28-09 07:25 PM
    Opera Mini and Odesys Chess both work as per a conventional touchscreen. I
    must admit that I like the added deliberate measure of the click.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 07:37 PM
    Opera Mini and Odesys Chess both work as per a conventional touchscreen. I
    must admit that I like the added deliberate measure of the click.

bolt browser does as well. after using the click for so long I like it 10x better than just tapping.
    01-28-09 08:02 PM
    I guess my real question in regards to using touch only was in terms of user created apps. I don't see BB doing it with thier OS, nor would i really want them to in general. The only time I can see that touch only is "needed" would be with games that require more then one button to be pushed at once.

Sort of like hitting up and A on a nintendo controller. Or up and left.
    01-28-09 08:32 PM
    No. It's the distinguishable feature of the Storm. Why would you/they want to disable it?

Me loves me some clickin'
    01-28-09 08:36 PM
    The Storm isn't even capable of keeping dust out. How the **** would it pull this off?
    01-28-09 08:37 PM
    I like clicking, but I enjoy opera for the lack of clicking lol. I want each where it makes sense. I enjoy choice

01-28-09 08:42 PM
    if i don't like the clicking, usually what i will do is highlight then hit the blackberry button and select the action, then hit the blackberry button again. usually i do that when i'm choosing menu options, not actual screen fields, etc.
    01-28-09 08:56 PM
    Ok, better question. Regardless of how it is done. Is there a way to allow an app...particularly a game of some sort to use more then one button.

Heck even if it is one of the hardware buttons. I just want to know if there is any way for a program to emulate a nintendo controller. I.E. Pressing something like up and A...or A and B... or up and right at the same time.

Any one who has played just about any video game now a days knows you are usually required to perform an action at the same time as your are moving. As it stands, at least with the game i have, you can move...or preform an action but not both.

Sorry for any confusion.
    01-28-09 09:02 PM
    Yes, the Storm is multi-touch capable, it's just not very widely implemented at present. I think someone recently looked at the SDK and said it was capable of up to 3 simultaneous inputs, or maybe it was 2, but it was definitely some number greater than 1. Not sure it would work so well in a situation like your Nintendo controller example, but it CAN accept multiple inputs with the touch screen.
    01-28-09 09:25 PM
    The Storm isn't even capable of keeping dust out. How the **** would it pull this off?
    LOL ... you should probably get rid of your Storm.
    01-28-09 09:52 PM
    like a boxing game can you step left abd throw an uppercut all at the same tmie i.e arrow left and a+b all at once lol
    01-28-09 10:04 PM
    Ok this answer's my question...Thank you bigman2.

I just wanted to know if some where down the road if this is something that we could see from a 3rd party app.

I was hoping that at some point someone could develop emulators that would work on the storm. Any idea if this is possible?

As far as control i would just imagine putting an on screen controller that resembled a nintendo controller that would be activated by touch.
    01-28-09 10:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD