Looking at new smartphones and need specific capabilities. Maybe some of you that own the Storm can shed some light on it's capabilities.

• I need the phone to have at least PDF read capability and can load a large multi-page (5MB +) pdf file of 24"x36" drawings and be able to zoom, and do it reasonably quick.
    • Be able to edit Microsoft Office documents as necessary.
    • Quickly sync with large Outlook PST data files.

I'll take a closer look at the Storm if it can handle the above, or maybe I'm just asking too much from a smartphone.

Regards
    02-12-09 05:37 PM
    I'll leave the other questions to other users, but I can say that it can edit ms office documents pretty easyly, I do it very often and it works great
    02-12-09 05:55 PM
    Out of the box it cannot read PDF files, but there are a few free
    and paid 3rd part applications you can easily download that I hear
    are very good.

No idea what PST data files are.

Matt
    02-12-09 06:06 PM
    A PST file is the data file for Microsoft Outlook.
    02-12-09 06:15 PM
    A PST file is the data file for Microsoft Outlook.
    02-12-09 06:16 PM
    I'm thinking the same.
    02-12-09 07:31 PM
    PDF. Files open up generically I thought.
    02-12-09 07:31 PM
    Or is that more so the default system that makes the files open?
    02-12-09 07:32 PM
    Then again most people use Docs to Go.
    02-12-09 07:33 PM
    I suggest using the Dos to Go Premium if you can. It allows for all those files to be used and edited.
    02-12-09 07:35 PM
    You can view a pdf out of the box but it loses clarity as you zoom, so if you do it with any frequency, you'll want an add-on program. I'm not sure about "reading" PST files per se, but my Outlook uses PSTs and all my folders are accessible though I think they are directed to my BlackBerry directly from our BES. So my PSTs need to be on the network. Not sure about PSTs that might be on your hard drive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 07:58 PM
    Docs To Go Prem is what you'll need for the PDF and to edit docs. For the Outlook sync, the Desktop Manager will sync the data. Not sure what you are trying to do with the data file itself though.
    02-12-09 09:01 PM
    Ok, As long as the Storm can sync with the contents of PST files--tasks, contacts, etc.-- then that is really what I need. I was asking for the wrong thing and probably confusing everyone. I just need it to work well with the Outlook files.

I'll take a look at the Docs to Go Prem, assuming thats an add on app.

Thanks for the feedback.
    02-13-09 09:27 AM
    If your outlook is on your BES server, then it will sync all that stuff over the network. If you don't have BES, then you will have to sync it via USB. Either way, BB's work perfectly with outlook.

Docs to go is a pretty good program. It comes with the standard version which just lets you view the files. The premium version lets you edit them and I think is only like $50 or so.

I am not so sure on the 24 x 36 files. I am sure you can zoom in and view things, but I can't imagine the text being super clear if you are trying to look at dimensions and construction notes, etc.

If it works out well for you, let me know.....I could use that capability myself, lol.
    02-13-09 09:49 AM
    PDF viewing is free if you email the PDF to your BlackBerry.

Doc to Go has a Word/Excel/PPT viewer and editor. If you upgrade $50 it will allow you to create new documents and comes with a PDF viewer.

I personally bought RepliGo for PDF viewing ($19). It can zoom and pan but a PDF. But also text reflow the page which renders a PDF to fit nicely on the screen and not have to worry about panning and zooming. Check out the demo on the Blog page

=X=
    02-13-09 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD