Not sure how many people may have switched carriers for the storm. I'm coming from T-mobile, and have never had anyone complain about the quality of my voice. I've been using the storm for a week and everyone keeps saying I sound muffled, or like I'm calling from inside a trashcan/porta potty. I tested it out myself using my old Tmo Wing and called and left a voice mail and could tell a distinct difference in call quality. Both phones were hovering at 4-5 bars of strength but the quality is night and day. Tmo sounds like I'm calling from a landline and Verizon sounds like I'm calling from Osama's secret cave.

Has anyone experienced any complaints with call quality with Verizon, or maybe the storm? I have 2 storms, (under the BOGO special), and both phones sound terrible compared to my Tmo Wing.
    02-26-09 08:16 PM
    Not sure how many people may have switched carriers for the storm. I'm coming from T-mobile, and have never had anyone complain about the quality of my voice. I've been using the storm for a week and everyone keeps saying I sound muffled, or like I'm calling from inside a trashcan/porta potty. I tested it out myself using my old Tmo Wing and called and left a voice mail and could tell a distinct difference in call quality. Both phones were hovering at 4-5 bars of strength but the quality is night and day. Tmo sounds like I'm calling from a landline and Verizon sounds like I'm calling from Osama's secret cave.

Has anyone experienced any complaints with call quality with Verizon, or maybe the storm? I have 2 storms, (under the BOGO special), and both phones sound terrible compared to my Tmo Wing.
    Yes - search these forums for "muffled". I have complained as well.
    02-26-09 08:23 PM
    I have similar problems with call quality. I will have 4-5 bars of reception and people say I am talking with a sock in my mouth. Unfortunately this is a storm related issue as my old lg chocolate never had this problem. I just hope this can be fixed with a software update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 08:23 PM

It seemed to me as if i was reading my own post from a month ago
    I am on to my 4th storm and this one is the best of all. Just like you, i moved from TMO and could not believe how much better my tmobile smartphone was in terms of voice quality. However, like I said, i believe there are some genuine call quality issues with the some pieces and the newer storms don't seem to have them. My current phone was made on 01/09/09.
    Interestingly enuf, my wife's storm had the same issues. In her case, her storm had a decent call quality initially but after using it for a week, people started complaining about muffled voices. For her, going from .75 to .99 helped.
    Oh btw, i forgot to add that my storm's voice quality still is very bad when i use it with my car's bluetooth. But I got so sick of returning it so many times that i am living with it. So far, i haven't upgraded my phone to any unofficial version. I might take the plunge this weekend.
    02-26-09 08:36 PM
    Okay, at least I know I'm not the only one. I've finally got 2 new storms that have good screens. I don't want to return these ones...lol I hope a firmware update can fix this.
    02-26-09 08:39 PM
    My current phone was made on 01/09/09.
    How were you able to determine that? I got my phone from the VZW store 2 weeks ago and my wife wants me to return it because she cannot understand me on the phone.
    02-26-09 08:51 PM
    Interested to know this as well. I don't see any dates on my Storms
    02-26-09 09:07 PM
    I had one back in December that had the same problem and I returned it - did not want to go through exchanging over and over after I ported so I decided to sit it out for a while. Really liked the phone otherwise. I will say though that it worked really well with my Jabra BT headset. I was hoping this would improve after a few months but it seems to still be a problem. As suggested above, keep exchanging until you get a good one. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 09:10 PM
    How were you able to determine that? I got my phone from the VZW store 2 weeks ago and my wife wants me to return it because she cannot understand me on the phone.
    Look at your storm box. there is a date next to where it says "made in mexico" or "made in canada".
    02-26-09 10:00 PM
    I had the same problem and it was vastly improved by going to the phone screen (with the keypad) then hit the blackberry menu button, choose OPTIONS, then GENERAL OPTIONS and then on ENHANCE HEADSET CALL AUDIO and ENHANCE HANDSET CALL AUDIO, set both to BOOST TREBLE.

YMMV, but it all but solved the problem for me. Good luck.
    02-26-09 10:22 PM
    Try this test if your having people complain about your voice quality. Turn your phone to speaker mode and ask right away if you sound better. If they say you sound better.

The problem is with the noise cancellation on the phone. The phone is equipped with two microphones one at the bottom and the top (you can see the hole between the lock and mute key) and when your in a quite room the phone doesn't know what is background noise and what is your voice. So the phone has a hard time trying to cancel out the background noise because there isn't any.

I'm on my third storm and they all have had this same problem. If your having this problem too please send an email to:
    [email protected]
    02-26-09 10:46 PM
    Try this test if your having people complain about your voice quality. Turn your phone to speaker mode and ask right away if you sound better. If they say you sound better.

The problem is with the noise cancellation on the phone. The phone is equipped with two microphones one at the bottom and the top (you can see the hole between the lock and mute key) and when your in a quite room the phone doesn't know what is background noise and what is your voice. So the phone has a hard time trying to cancel out the background noise because there isn't any. I'm on my third storm and they all have had this same problem.

I'm on my third Storm also and this one seems to be a little better than the first two. Have all of your Storms been returned for voice quality or have there been other issues?
    Last edited by Apoteker; 02-26-09 at 11:38 PM.
    02-26-09 11:35 PM
    i switched from Sprint to Verizon for the Storm.
    The first thing I noticed was that the voice quality is muffled.
    Most people don't have a real problem understanding me, but I do get that comment at least once a week from someone.

Very disappointing. Here's hoping future updates can fix this issue.
    02-27-09 03:24 AM
    I had the same problem and it was vastly improved by going to the phone screen (with the keypad) then hit the blackberry menu button, choose OPTIONS, then GENERAL OPTIONS and then on ENHANCE HEADSET CALL AUDIO and ENHANCE HANDSET CALL AUDIO, set both to BOOST TREBLE.

YMMV, but it all but solved the problem for me. Good luck.
    I did this too and it did help.
    02-27-09 08:10 AM
    I've tried the treble boost, and using a headset, and both times was told the call quality sounds horrible.

I'm very disappointed that this phone has so many issues. I'm on my 4th one and this one seems better than the others because the screen clicks right in all the corners. All of them have had the call quality comments of muffled sound. I really hope a firmware fixes this. I'll wait a little bit and see what happens I guess. I'm just disappointed that so many people seem to be having this issue, yet nothing seems to be getting addressed.
    02-27-09 12:02 PM
    I've tried the treble boost, and using a headset, and both times was told the call quality sounds horrible.

I'm very disappointed that this phone has so many issues. I'm on my 4th one and this one seems better than the others because the screen clicks right in all the corners. All of them have had the call quality comments of muffled sound. I really hope a firmware fixes this. I'll wait a little bit and see what happens I guess. I'm just disappointed that so many people seem to be having this issue, yet nothing seems to be getting addressed.
    Do you know if they have all been made in Mexico?

I was able to find a store with Canadian built Storms, got one, and my problems are over! I am so psyched that finally I have a normal sounding phone. I swapped my Mexican made one that was 2.5 weeks old this am for another Mexican made one which sounded equally bad. This store plus 2 others I called only had Mexican made phones in stock. But I then tried another corporate store that was a bit further away and they had a box of Canadian made Storms. Went there, got it, and I am happy now. I am really surprised it made a difference, because voice notes with the other one sounded great. Not sure why a handset phone call would make a difference assuming it is not the mic causing the problem.
    02-27-09 01:52 PM

I was able to find a store with Canadian built Storms, got one, and my problems are over! I am so psyched that finally I have a normal sounding phone. I swapped my Mexican made one that was 2.5 weeks old this am for another Mexican made one which sounded equally bad. This store plus 2 others I called only had Mexican made phones in stock. But I then tried another corporate store that was a bit further away and they had a box of Canadian made Storms. Went there, got it, and I am happy now. I am really surprised it made a difference, because voice notes with the other one sounded great. Not sure why a handset phone call would make a difference assuming it is not the mic causing the problem.
    Another case of Canadian Man trying to keep Mexican Man down.
    02-27-09 02:11 PM
    i live in mexico, i didn't know the storms are made here, you can't find one here on the stores yet, they arrive until 2010, but i got one =), anyway, i had the same problem with the audio quality, and select the treble boost, it did help but very little, so i took to an attention center (Telcel) here in mexico, and they opened my strom , and they changed the microphone cause it was burnt, maybe thats was going on with the mexican storms, they have a short life mic.
    02-27-09 02:53 PM

You know what, they have all been made in Mexico. I didn't think that was really the problem. I'll have to see if I can find a store that has 2 Canadian built storms and see if I can tell the difference.
    02-27-09 02:59 PM

Treble boost or any other option in the phone won't help, at least it did not help in my case and i tried three phones before settling on this one. Let me tell you this, if you search these forums for similar threads, you will find people bashing mexican made phones but seriously there is no difference. My current storm was made in mexico and i am finally satisfied with the voice quality.
    Like I said in my previous post, my wife had the same issue with her Canadian built phone, she moved to .99 and has not been happier. If you are so bummed up, i would really suggest upgrading. Worst case scneario, if it doesn't work for you, go back to .75 and then return for a new piece. Good luck
    02-27-09 03:03 PM
    Let me tell you this, if you search these forums for similar threads, you will find people bashing mexican made phones but seriously there is no difference.
    That was not my intention to bash Mexican made phones. In fact I didn't realize a difference until today. And I don't know for sure that it made any difference. It could have just been bad luck. But here's how it goes for me - my first two were made in Mexico and sounded muffled, and my third was made in Canada and sounds fine.
    02-27-09 03:13 PM
    It's a phone defect. I had the same issue, got a replacement, and no everyone says I sound fine.
    02-27-09 03:20 PM
    Wow, I feel better finding this thread because I thought I was the only crazy one. I had originally purchased my Storm in early Jan, and took it back after using it for a week because everyone said I didn't sound like myself. I got the phone swapped at a VZW store and the tech people looked at me like I was insane and that they have never heard of this complaint before. Anyways I had them give me a new phone and it's just as bad. I will try the boost treble idea and let you know what I find, but I'm not holding high hopes. It just really sucks because I love the other features of this phone and would like to keep it.
    02-27-09 03:37 PM
    Yea a friend of mine told me the first day i called him i sounded weird on the phone...it didnt sound nearly as good as when i had my voyager.
    02-27-09 03:49 PM
    Wow, I feel better finding this thread because I thought I was the only crazy one. I had originally purchased my Storm in early Jan, and took it back after using it for a week because everyone said I didn't sound like myself. I got the phone swapped at a VZW store and the tech people looked at me like I was insane and that they have never heard of this complaint before. Anyways I had them give me a new phone and it's just as bad. I will try the boost treble idea and let you know what I find, but I'm not holding high hopes. It just really sucks because I love the other features of this phone and would like to keep it.
    Either it has to do with where they are made, which really doesn't make much sense but is what I was thinking based on my experience, or RIM has a huge QC problem with that part of the phone.
    02-27-09 03:52 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD