Went to a Thrashers game the other night...some friends and I were having a discussion about some colleges so one of them said google it on your phone. So iPhone friend opened the browser on his phone and I said "hey hold on a sec, let me open the browser on my Storm." I wanted to see whose browser would google the same discription faster. Needless to say...the iPhone was done much much faster. I was a bit bummed that his OLDER iPhone was quicker then my NEW BB Storm. Geesh...did they just throw this phone out in too much of a hurry...or did they really not expect this phone to compete with the iPhone after all?

By the way...running .109, and Application Memory was around 37MB.
    03-31-09 09:36 AM
    Remember the iphone is second generation. There is no excuse though! RIM should have done better. Overall the storm is a better phone by feature but prehistoric by performance compared to the iphone...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 09:45 AM
    Well iPhone is on ATT while Storm is Verizon so the ATT signal may have been stronger than the Verizon signal in the Arena. I don't think Philips Arena has free Wifi though, but I'm not sure. If it does then the iPhone may have been getting data from Wifi instead of EDGE/3G. It's pretty well-known that all things equal, the Storm and the iPhone are about as fast as one another when it comes to web browsing. On a good signal, I get a very fast Google result... less than 5 seconds usually.
    03-31-09 10:06 AM
    The Storm has a WAP browser, contrary to the advertising hype. The BB browser can not display complicated pages, is not standards compliant and no where near as sophisticated as the iPhone browser.
    03-31-09 10:19 AM
    I like the iPhones browser better, but the two I have compared it too, are not as quick as my Storm. I doubt it's the phone, more or less it's the network.
    03-31-09 10:20 AM
    You should have used Opera Mini. I bet you Opera would have kicked it's A$$.
    03-31-09 10:34 AM
    The Storm has a WAP browser, contrary to the advertising hype. The BB browser can not display complicated pages, is not standards compliant and no where near as sophisticated as the iPhone browser.
    The Storm browser is slower than Safari on the iPhone, but does a great job of displaying pages. I rarely see a page that does not display correctly on the Storm.

I've compared the two phones side by side (both with good coverage) and the iPhone is about 50-100% faster than the Storm (depending on which site I was trying). Obviously pages that are mobile optimized load faster, but the Storm is very usable.
    03-31-09 10:38 AM
    Sorry for the confusion...we were not at the Arena yet. This was at dinner in a resturant prior too. I remember looking at the service bars and I had 4 bars. The strange thing is...I only have 2 bars at work...did a memory clear for the browser. It took less then 5 seconds to open the same link, but at the resturant it took 5 times that long. I really like the phone...and for the most part have no real dislikes. I am just a typical man and don't like to lose. So I will have to do some more comparing and get my winning streak back up.
    03-31-09 10:43 AM
    Apple actually has applied for some patents that help explain this. Safari on the Jesus Phone does a sort of predictive rendering. That's also the trick behind the "pinch zooming".

But I really don't understand this... A cell phone is NOT a replacement for a laptop or even a netbook. Maybe some day that will be different, but mobile electronics just isn't quite there yet.
    03-31-09 11:03 AM
    This is interesting ... because I have seen that the iPhone, most of the time, will react quicker than the Storm. But, it's never more than a little bit. I also believe that Apple does a lot of rendering before pages are downloaded, which is not normally the case on the Storm.

As for Google responses though, directly from the base browser screen (as opposed to the google website) ... normally only take a second or two for me
    03-31-09 11:19 AM
    Yeah I guess I should have done a best out of 3! Like I said, it showed up in less then 5 seconds here at work just a bit ago with less signal. I will try at home, my neighbor has an iPhone too so I'll do a bit of testing.
    03-31-09 11:32 AM
    The Storm browser may not be as sophisticated as the iPhone browser, but have you seen a full page of facebook pulled on the Storm? I had everything showing on the page, including the chat bar. Now the chat bar was out of place but I was able to see the entire facebook webpage and click on the links with no problem...I was impressed, and I would say the recent changes that facebook went through would make mobile browsing complicated.
    03-31-09 11:42 AM
    "complicated pages" ??? What does this even mean?

Both the Safari for iPhone browser and the BB browser can display the vast majority of webpages just fine -- some people like Safari better since it is a Webkit browser, but I enjoy the browsing experience on the Storm either way.
    03-31-09 11:55 AM
    WoW you all are just now realizing this?
    The ONLY way my Storm is faster then my friends' iPhones is when they are in a non 3G area and I'm @ full bars.
    03-31-09 11:58 AM
    "complicated pages" ??? What does this even mean?

Both the Safari for iPhone browser and the BB browser can display the vast majority of webpages just fine -- some people like Safari better since it is a Webkit browser, but I enjoy the browsing experience on the Storm either way.
    It's just trolling. No point bothering to even acknowledge it. One of those people who wishes the joke about the original iMacs with a male phallace protruding from it so you could "love" your iMac in every sense of the word was true for the Jesus Phone.
    03-31-09 12:01 PM
    It's just trolling. No point bothering to even acknowledge it. One of those people who wishes the joke about the original iMacs with a male phallace protruding from it so you could "love" your iMac in every sense of the word was true for the Jesus Phone.
    Spoken like someone who has ZERO knowledge and is a MAc hater.
    03-31-09 12:04 PM
    Ya.. You shouldn't have done that. Next time use Bolt or opera mobile browsers. There extremely fast.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 12:20 PM
    Spoken like someone who has ZERO knowledge and is a MAc hater.
    Sorry... Wrong on both points... Well partly... I do hate the G3 iMac and all eMacs, because they're heavy, and servicing them can literally be life threatening. All the others are kind of case by case... I liked the old G3 and G4 (QuickSilver) PowerMacs, just because working on those things was so simple. Pull one latch, and the side of the case falls out with the motherboard on it. The G5 PowerMacs have some interesting thermal setups... The MacBook Air is a piece of garbage for my needs.

The Jesus Phone is an interesting device, but it has two major issues with it: 1) The AT&T network, and 2) being lumped in with a bunch of dumbass kids and middle-aged yuppies who are trying to prove that they're still young and hip... Both groups suffering from the problem of making using the device a giant production. EVERYONE within 50ft absolutely MUST know that they have a Jesus Phone. See someone on a bus or train with one, they will use it facing the aisle so that the maximum number of people will see. In a store, people will intentionally hold the device at arm's length so people will wonder what is wrong with them. They will make a giant theatrical production out of it.

So even if #1 were overcome by a Verizon Jesus Phone, I don't think you'd ever be able to overcome #2.
    03-31-09 12:59 PM
    You should have used Opera Mini. I bet you Opera would have kicked it's A$$.
    I have to agree; I just downloaded it; and it is smokin. I am doing a lil
    presentation on stress mgt. Tempted to bring my bluetooth stereo
    speaker and play my meditation music just to mess with the Iphone fan bois.
    I don't like loosing either.....
    03-31-09 01:10 PM
    Sorry... Wrong on both points... Well partly... I do hate the G3 iMac and all eMacs, because they're heavy, and servicing them can literally be life threatening. All the others are kind of case by case... I liked the old G3 and G4 (QuickSilver) PowerMacs, just because working on those things was so simple. Pull one latch, and the side of the case falls out with the motherboard on it. The G5 PowerMacs have some interesting thermal setups... The MacBook Air is a piece of garbage for my needs.

The Jesus Phone is an interesting device, but it has two major issues with it: 1) The AT&T network, and 2) being lumped in with a bunch of dumbass kids and middle-aged yuppies who are trying to prove that they're still young and hip... Both groups suffering from the problem of making using the device a giant production. EVERYONE within 50ft absolutely MUST know that they have a Jesus Phone. See someone on a bus or train with one, they will use it facing the aisle so that the maximum number of people will see. In a store, people will intentionally hold the device at arm's length so people will wonder what is wrong with them. They will make a giant theatrical production out of it.

So even if #1 were overcome by a Verizon Jesus Phone, I don't think you'd ever be able to overcome #2.
    I have 4 macs in my house so I'm not a h8tr.

as for iPhone? If it went to Verizon, I'd drop the Storm in a heartbeat. And can care LESS what people think.
    03-31-09 01:12 PM
    I have 4 macs in my house so I'm not a h8tr.
    Not to be overly rude, but why do I care?

as for iPhone? If it went to Verizon, I'd drop the Storm in a heartbeat. And can care LESS what people think.
    I probably wouldn't. I used a Jesus Phone for a time a while back, and wasn't all that impressed. It looks slick and all, but I found it rather lacking in actual substance. Which is very Apple. OS X would be nothing if Apple didn't basically just marry FreeBSD's kernel with NeXTStep's GUI. Unless the deal with Be Inc had gone through. THAT would have been something to behold, especially with the rise of multi-core chips. I still mourn the passing of Be Inc... A company 5-6 years ahead of its time, that just couldn't survive long enough.

But I also don't get some device because it's fashionable to do so. If the Jesus Phone ever offered something significant that I wanted/needed I'd think about it, but it simply doesn't right now... And it's crippled by the AT&T network... I live in San Jose, where there's presently a class action lawsuit pending regarding the Jesus Phone and the quality of service... And I have family back in the mid-west, where it looks like there's pretty much no coverage at all.
    03-31-09 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD