It has been over a year since the iPhone has been released, and it has already sold "XX" Number of Phones-

Apple has already saturated the cell phone market, and is here to stay.

Practically anyone who wanted a Touchscreen Phone, has been Gobbled up by Apple-

And In Reality, up until this point, Apple has had arguably the only reliable touchscreen phone.

Now all of a sudden RIM and Verizon announce that they will be unveiling a Blackberry Touchscreen device.

Do you think it's too Little too Late?

Will RIM win over iPhone users?

Will RIM be able to convince people to switch companies as Apple did?

I honestly don't think so-

As much as we won't like to admit it, RIM isn't as Market Friendly as Apple is.

Apple has been able to engross itself into society, make itself look cool, and have instant appeal.

Do you think RIM will be able to steal Apple's Dinner Party Seat- Or survive off of the Leftovers?

What do you think?
    09-16-08 12:02 PM
    if the touchscreen stuff is integrated properly, it will beat the pants off the iphone in the business market, which will give it a leg up in overall numbers.
    09-16-08 12:15 PM
    RIM made it a point to aim this device towards your average consumer-

And if they really wanted to integrate this device into the business market, wouldn't they use the nations largest carrier of Blackberry's?
    09-16-08 12:20 PM
    RIM would not put all of this money into a device that would instantly fail... I am sure they have done their "home work" and are confident in the 95xx series!

People need to realize that there are multiple options... and many people trust RIM and the BlackBerry name. I am confident and faithful that the Storm/Thunder will be implemented very well and have competitive and rivaling features for the iPhone.

And, the two devices are somewhat dueling...

*The iPhone is mainly media-centered and has a rich UI, and is now making a move into the corporate and business world (with the iPhone 3G, MobileMe and all that jazz)

*BlackBerries are mainly business-oriented, but are making leaps and bounds into the "Media World"

It is very interesting to watch these developments and witness the competition, because this will ultimately lead to better and better devices and quicker advancements in technology!!
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 09-16-08 at 12:37 PM. Reason: clarification
    09-16-08 12:20 PM
    RIM made it a point to aim this device towards your average consumer-

And if they really wanted to integrate this device into the business market, wouldn't they use the nations largest carrier of Blackberry's?
    And just because the 9530 "Storm" is launching on Verizon as an exclusive device... it does not mean that the 9500 "Thunder" (the GSM counterpart) will not make its way to the US. ATT and TMobile still have the possibility of getting this device, and you were referring to ATT in your statement... so there is still a chance!
    09-16-08 12:22 PM
    AH I didnt even realize the Storm and Thunder were seperate devices!

I always thought that they were used interchangeably since at the time the names were given and we weren't sure exactly which was the real name
    09-16-08 12:26 PM
    the 1st gen iPhone was more of a consumer device and not one targeted at the business crowd. The year headstart really would only affect the consumer market. It's only with the new 3G iPhone and the 2.0 software update that Apple has added push email, exchange server sync, and all those other things that are attractive to business users.

RIM still rules the corporate world. The Storm/Thunder will give those companies thinking about the new 3G iPhone another option for a touchscreen device, but one with all the familiar Blackberry goodness.
    09-16-08 12:29 PM
    It has been over a year since the iPhone has been released, and it has already sold "XX" Number of Phones-

Apple has already saturated the cell phone market, and is here to stay.

Practically anyone who wanted a Touchscreen Phone, has been Gobbled up by Apple-

And In Reality, up until this point, Apple has had arguably the only reliable touchscreen phone.

Now all of a sudden RIM and Verizon announce that they will be unveiling a Blackberry Touchscreen device.

Do you think it's too Little too Late?

Will RIM win over iPhone users?

Will RIM be able to convince people to switch companies as Apple did?

I honestly don't think so-

As much as we won't like to admit it, RIM isn't as Market Friendly as Apple is.

Apple has been able to engross itself into society, make itself look cool, and have instant appeal.

Do you think RIM will be able to steal Apple's Dinner Party Seat- Or survive off of the Leftovers?

What do you think?
    No, I think RIM will steal Apples thunder with the STORM. RIM has been in the cell phone industry for WAY too long. BTW, check out the market share for smartphones, yup RIM. Besides, even all those die-hard iPhone lovers will admit that their network sucks and is slow...even AT&T's so called "3G". What you have is the Best Carrier + Best Phone Manufacturer = STORM (for the rest of the mobile world)
    09-16-08 12:33 PM
    I read an article a few months back about how corporate IT people were tearing their hair out because people were using their iPhones for business purposes. The security issues with the iPhone verses a blackberry were glaring. Maybe the Thunder/Storm are just the devices to bridge this gap. I believe there are a number of consumers, both business and non-business, who want a touchscreen but cannot or do not want to switch to ATT to get the iPhone (I'm one of them).

The iPhone has been out in the US for over a year but not nearly as long in the rest of the world (at least not officially) so those markets may not be nearly as saturated.

I think there's plenty of room for the Thunder/Storm in the market, even with the iPhone. Younger generations are accustomed to and demand constant connectivity. As their needs grow they can switch from a "dumb phone" to a smart phone to help feed that addiction, which is where this multimedia and consumer targeted RIM product will find part of its niche.

Just my $0.02
    09-16-08 12:36 PM
    I think RIM stands a chance of knocking of apple. It's been doing this longer, it's an established name that people trust. Don't underestimate that. Apple has the fan base of kids, but not alot of adults.

It's kind of like people will choose AT&T just because of the name, I have heard it time and time again, it's the mentality of it all.

Will it dethrone apple? Hmmm yet to be seen, but probably not.

Secondly...

Largest Corporate/Business email servers and users go through Verizon Wireless last I heard they have the biggest amount of users who use blackberry for that purpose, because business people aren't only out for apple's namesake, they need the reliability and branding.

PS... That is NOT to say corporations don't use AT&T, nor is it to down AT&T and say that they are a crappy provider, but if you are looking for reliability you will consult most JD Powers, Consumer reports, and word of mouth, and Verizon Wireless will, more times than not, be the name that comes up.

My 2 cents!
    09-16-08 12:36 PM
    similar to what some others have said, one of the caveats to the iphone and corporate users is security. blackberry(s) are much more secure as far as communications go, from a server standpoint. many companies i know do not use any windows mobile/exchange active sync because of the vulnerabilities of TCP/IP and dealing with firewall isues related to such. BES is better in this regard.

second is cost. if a particular company has BES server, etc etc, it's much simpler to buy another CAL and add in the storm/thunder. using an iphone would require a sizable investment to implement activesync and keep it secure.
    09-16-08 12:45 PM
    case Closed, Next Thread Please!!
    09-16-08 12:54 PM
    I think Verizon is in desperate situation of a touch screen phone that actually sells. Look at how many touch screen phones they are selling now - Samsung Glyde, LG Voyager...close to a dozen. Even all of the add up can't beat the sales of iphone. Can the Storm do it? Don't think so.
    09-16-08 01:07 PM
    I think RIM stands a chance of knocking of apple. It's been doing this longer, it's an established name that people trust. Don't underestimate that. Apple has the fan base of kids, but not alot of adults.

It's kind of like people will choose AT&T just because of the name, I have heard it time and time again, it's the mentality of it all.

Will it dethrone apple? Hmmm yet to be seen, but probably not.

Secondly...

Largest Corporate/Business email servers and users go through Verizon Wireless last I heard they have the biggest amount of users who use blackberry for that purpose, because business people aren't only out for apple's namesake, they need the reliability and branding.

PS... That is NOT to say corporations don't use AT&T, nor is it to down AT&T and say that they are a crappy provider, but if you are looking for reliability you will consult most JD Powers, Consumer reports, and word of mouth, and Verizon Wireless will, more times than not, be the name that comes up.

My 2 cents!
    Remember-

Its the Majority of "KIDS" that are willing to trust technology enough to use a Touchscreen Device-

The Majority of "ADULTS" Don't trust technology enough to abandon Buttons-

Its that trust in technology that makes the difference, and in this case, the sale.

How many CB users have said, "I would use the iPhone if it had buttons, a keyboard, etc."

Its the "KIDS" that demand their parents to buy them things for christmas, and its the "KIDS" that adapt to, and fill the shoes of the "ADULTS".

In short- its the "KIDS" that drive a good portion of Sales.

Besides, Blackberry isn't very popular with kids yet-

It still has a Stuffy Business Person Connotation.

Whereas Apple still appeals to "KIDS" AND "ADULTS", and has a slick "cool" factor.

And as it stands, Verizon doesn't come close to AT&T in regards to International Phone Calls, which is something integral to business users.
    09-16-08 01:08 PM
    Look how well the 2.1 firmware is going. iPhone 2.1 Firmware Review: It Fixes Everything We Can See

Read the user comments. A lot of complaints.

Apple STILL can't get it right. iPhone is STILL catching up with the rest of the so-called "wannabes". And they STILL can't copy/paste.

not to mention iPhone's failure in Japan: Not Big In Japan: The iPhone (AAPL)
    09-16-08 01:39 PM
    And How about all the Complaints about the Bolds OS?

Should we pretend its perfect and just ridicule the iPhone?

We have enough, "Which is better, Which is Worse" Threads.

This isn't a discussion about WHICH is BETTER, its a discussion about whether or not RIM took to long with the Storm, and if it would be detrimental to their product.
    09-16-08 01:44 PM
    And How about all the Complaints about the Bolds OS?
    The Bold uses a different OS. So what about it?
    09-16-08 01:46 PM
    The answer is no. RIM is not late to the party. They're just in time for the holidays.

While the n00bz over at Apple were rushing to release their singing and dancing revolutionary all-in-one device, RIM was busy perfecting the Storm. Now that the Storm has crashed the party, Apple will be scrambling to fix their mess, and they are going to need to learn from others ideas.

I wouldn't be surprised to see "new features" that we already see in the Storm/Thunder, in Apple's next version of the iPhone.
    09-16-08 01:54 PM
    In Short It Sucks- Unless you resort to Using Unofficial Beta versions.

ANYWAY- Lets Get Back on Topic-
    09-16-08 01:54 PM
    The answer is no. RIM is not late to the party. They're just in time for the holidays.

While the n00bz over at Apple were rushing to release their singing and dancing revolutionary all-in-one device, RIM was busy perfecting the Storm. Now that the Storm has crashed the party, Apple will be scrambling to fix their mess, and they are going to need to learn from others ideas.

I wouldn't be surprised to see "new features" that we already see in the Storm/Thunder, in Apple's next version of the iPhone.

Rushing?

It wasn't long ago that RIM was Hobbling along to smooth out their Clicky, Bubbley Whatever of a Keyboard, and a whole host of other issues, and now magically they're on a Verge of a Launch?

Talk about Rushing...

The Bold was RIMs first attempt at a 3G device, and Look how buggy it is, and how long it has been dragging to be released.

Now RIM is trying to Launch a FULL Touchscreen Device, which is, mind you- a whole new breed of phone for them. AND they're trying to do it in less time than their normal variety of phone.

Who's Rushing?

I don't want to give the impression that I'm against the storm/thunder/precipitation/tornado/nimbus whatever-

I just get annoyed when people start throwing fanboism's around- because it really is a double edged sword and can go both ways.
    09-16-08 02:06 PM
    Rushing?

It wasn't long ago that RIM was Hobbling along to smooth out their Clicky, Bubbley Whatever of a Keyboard, and a whole host of other issues, and now magically they're on a Verge of a Launch?

Talk about Rushing...

The Bold was RIMs first attempt at a 3G device, and Look how buggy it is, and how long it has been dragging to be released.

Now RIM is trying to Launch a FULL Touchscreen Device, which is, mind you- a whole new breed of phone for them. AND they're trying to do it in less time than their normal variety of phone.

Who's Rushing?

I don't want to give the impression that I'm against the storm/thunder/precipitation/tornado/nimbus whatever-

I just get annoyed when people start throwing fanboism's around- because it really is a double edged sword and can go both ways.
    The Storm has actually been in development for several years, long before the iPhone was on the scene. I don't know if it is any longer than their traditional development cycle, but I am pretty sure it's not any shorter.

I believe the speculation surrounding the "problems" with the touchscreen was mostly coming from BGR and his sources and our insiders repeatedly contradicted those claims.

No device is without it's issues, but from what we've been reading these past few months, it sounds to be pretty solid. I don't believe they are rushing this.
    09-16-08 02:18 PM
    Please check that. I had the 3G curve WAY before the bold came out on any network.
    09-16-08 02:39 PM
    Thats EV-DO- Not 3G
    09-16-08 02:45 PM
    RIM is late to the party. You're right. iPhone holds the crown. Now if only the iPhone could perform simple functions like, I don't know... copy/paste, make phone calls, you know, stuff like that.

New iPhone 3G! = Less bars in more places.
    09-16-08 02:48 PM
    New iPhone 3G! = Less bars in more places.
    Thats a Carrier Issue- Not a Phone issue.
    09-16-08 02:54 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD