Wanted to share a Blackberry Miracle.

I bought the BB Storm as soon as it came to Canada - I was in a contract so I had to pay full price for it.

6 months into have the Storm, July 2009 I was at a work golf event. Some how beer got spilled on my Storm and the phone stopped working - I would press the screen and it would keep calling the first name in my address book. To make it stop I had to take the battery out because the screen and buttons would not respond.

Being not 100% coherent that day and night I left the phone on and the battery in for at least 24 hours.

I then read up on what to do and the biggest thing was to take the battery out right away...Oops!

I tried rice and blow dryers and everything - for months - it was dead - would not even turn on or charge.

I ended up buying the Pearl the next day since I couldn't live without a phone and didn't want to spend a fortune - the pearl was the cheapest. lol

So yesterday I was shopping for a new phone and thought I'd plug the storm in to charge and see what happened - Just for fun...

GUESS WHAT!?
    IT TURNED ON AND WORKS PERFECTLY!!!!!

Its been a year and just over a week...
    I thought BB Storm users might understand the excitement I'm experiencing!

Anyone else experience such a crazy things?
    07-18-10 10:21 AM
    That's awesome... sounds like you got some OS updating to do
    07-18-10 10:52 AM
    More than just OS. BBM, App World...everything!

Its just like having a brand new phone! Lets hope it keeps working and doesn't crap out on me.
    07-18-10 10:59 AM
    Congrats on your zombie phone! Here's hoping for a long and happy life.
    07-18-10 11:09 AM
    This is a new one. Sounds like it finally dried out enough that the "sticky organics" in the beer had dried/powdered up to the point where they no longer interfere with the screen/button's functions.

Congrats on finally getting to use your new phone.

Since you are on the 9530 for the "first time", I would recommend, at the very least, installing the (very nice) .419 Telus OS. This shouldn't be an issue since you are on Telus anyway. It resolves most of the initial Storm problems. If you need more memory, better radio reception, and (arguably) as good or better battery life, I'd recommend the lyridical .758 hybrid.

The latest .794 might be better, but I haven't heard what the differences are that might justify doing yet another OS install (3 in the last 2 weeks for me) and messing with the near S1 perfections I have right now. Not to say the S1 is perfect, but rather I think this sow's ear has been made into as close to a silk purse as it will get.

Oh, and I'd like to recommend that you change your Options, Screen/Keyboard, Show Key Indicator to Always so you will see the key pop-up when you are typing. I have had my Storm since the first month they came out and JUST found out about how to turn this one this last week! Oh, the agony/frustration I would have saved had I known about that option earlier!

Anyway, enjoy your new phone.

Scott
    07-18-10 12:38 PM
    wow so jealous thats a great story, Im glad you held onto your phone even after it died thats impressive.
    07-18-10 12:40 PM

Oh, and I'd like to recommend that you change your Options, Screen/Keyboard, Show Key Indicator to Always so you will see the key pop-up when you are typing. I have had my Storm since the first month they came out and JUST found out about how to turn this one this last week! Oh, the agony/frustration I would have saved had I known about that option earlier!

Anyway, enjoy your new phone.

Scott
    No such option available on my Storm1 VZW!
    07-18-10 02:04 PM
    I almost didn't keep it - I thought about selling it a few times - even posted on local adds - offering to sell it for only $40! Thankfully I had a hard time parting with it and couldn't sell it. LOL
    07-18-10 02:57 PM
    Thanks for the tips Scott. I will be updating to the newest Telus OS tomorrow. Hope it's good, I haven't done any research on it yet.
    07-18-10 03:03 PM
    No such option available on my Storm1 VZW!
    I don't know what OS you are on. I didn't think to check before I updated to Telus .419 (I'm on VZW also). While I am on a hybrid, my wife is on .419 non-hybrid and she has the option.

As for the option, you have to scroll down past the 1/2 way point of the page to where you see, Key Tone, Key Rate, Portrait View Keyboard, then Show Key Indicator. My was defaulted to Never. It IS possible this is a .419 or later option, I don't know for sure.

Scott
    07-18-10 08:07 PM
    I don't know what OS you are on. I didn't think to check before I updated to Telus .419 (I'm on VZW also). While I am on a hybrid, my wife is on .419 non-hybrid and she has the option.

As for the option, you have to scroll down past the 1/2 way point of the page to where you see, Key Tone, Key Rate, Portrait View Keyboard, then Show Key Indicator. My was defaulted to Never. It IS possible this is a .419 or later option, I don't know for sure.

Scott
    The next items up after Portrait View Keyboard are the Right then Left Side Convenience Keys. I am on V5.0.0.328 This is the latest OS from VZW in Los Angeles.
    07-18-10 10:28 PM
    The next items up after Portrait View Keyboard are the Right then Left Side Convenience Keys. I am on V5.0.0.328 This is the latest OS from VZW in Los Angeles.
    The Popup keys are not in .328. You can still upgrade to .419 eventhough it's not an official VZW version. Just delete the vendor file first,
    07-19-10 08:00 AM
    download 419 and install to your PC
    download an install BBSAK to your PC
    wipe device with BBSAK
    Load OS 419 with BBSAK

no need to delete the vendor file, it's done for you.
    how have you managed to stay with 328 so long??? I hated 328, and installed 419 the day it was available.
    07-19-10 08:07 AM
    OK, looks like it is a .419 or later option. Just one more reason to load the Telus .419 OS from RIM.

Like many have said, it isn't a big deal. I was nervous, but have done 4 installs in the last two weeks and had NO problems (as long as I remembered to delete (or rename) the vendor.xml file!!!).

There are some threads that outline the procedure, in detail. I like the one that lyricidal put together for his .748 hybrid release.

In addition to the new options, you will get probably 20%+ more memory, better radio reception, and possibly better battery. The hybrids (at least to .758) are even better.

Scott
    07-19-10 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD