I charged my Storm last night and unplugged it this morning around 7 AM. It's now 3 pm and the battery is down to 75%. I haven't really used it at all throughout the day ... received 1 text message, made 1 phone call and looked up a location on Google maps. I am connected to Gmail app but not to the Google Talk app.

Is this normal? 25% drop in 8 hours of use?
    12-18-08 02:14 PM

Then pick your email option.

As I have in other batt. threads I suggest uninstalling VVM if you don't plan to use it. Did that on our 2 Storms and have gone from daily charges to not having had to charge in almost 3 days now.
    What is VVM and what is it used for? I'm new to Blackberry and I'm still trying to figure things out.
    12-22-08 02:50 AM
    I work for a major mobile phone retailer in the uk and have done for about 5 1/2 years.
    Ive seen alsort's of issues to do with battery life and related problems with various different manufacturers, it does not supprise me that there are so many people experiencing low to down right terrible battery life on the storm.
    To start with we all have to realise that the phone you have choosen purchase is a smart phone and one of the most advanced on the market. FACT no current smart phones have a very good battery life and that is even more relivent with newly released smart phones which are running on early firmware versions.
    Once you get past the fact that you battery life is never going to be as good as a much less complex device then your halfway there.

Here's a couple of steps you can take to try and increase battery life.
    1) Always update your software version.
    2) Always close anything you do when your finished.
    3) Turn the sreen brightness down.
    4) Never over charge the battery.(this can damage it).
    5) To start with make sure your discharging the battery before recharging.

6) This one's a quick couple of work arounds.
    6i) Go options > Auto On/Off and set your device to go in to standby mode when you know your not going to be using it. I have my storm set to go off at around 1am and restart at 6am. Instant 4 hours extra battery life or there abouts.

6ii) This ones for those who are really struggling with the battery life as it could be looked at as a bit of a pain.
    I have read many threads that pinpoint 3g/HSDAP or the automatic searching for a 3g/HSDPA signal to be a major cause of battery drain as the processor in your storm will be putting more pressure on the battery because of the larger amount of information being processed on the higher bandwith signals.
    So - set your storm to only look for the 2g or GPRS network by going to Menu > Manage connections > mobile network options > and change Network mode to 2g.
    I can only really see this being a pain for those who want to use the net alot (which I understand coz thats probably a major reason you bought the phone in the first place) so for those people I sugest you change your convenience key (key found on the left or right side of your storm) to short cut you to connections manager so you can put your Storm back into 3g for internet use faster. Do this by going Menu > options > screen/keyboard then change your convienence key either the one on the right or left.

Hope this helps.
    12-25-08 06:49 AM
    What is VVM and what is it used for? I'm new to Blackberry and I'm still trying to figure things out.
    maybe he meant vvn - verizon voice navigator?
    01-03-09 10:24 AM
    i've found the only thing that clobbers my battery life is if my phone's in an area with poor reception so it keeps searching for a signal.

i have auto on/off set and brightneess prob. about 40% (that thing's like a search light at 100% - i don't know why anyone would need it set that high) and i go several days between any charging. i don't use the external charger - i just connect it to the usb on my desk (i know, slower) while i'm working for a few hours.
    01-03-09 10:28 AM
    I can't believe my battery lasted me a full 24 hours. Unplugged it from the charger yesterday at 7:30am, and I'm just having to recharge it now, at 9:30am. Did a ton of texting and using the phone yesterday. I was surprised when I woke up this morning and still had 10% battery life left. I suggest you use the tips on improving battery life found on this forum
    01-03-09 11:26 AM
    First off thanks for all the replies and tips on saving battery life. I actually was about to run my 3 week old storm back in when I came across a few life saving tweaks..

As previous stated in other threads Verizon Navigator is a battery hog - if you don't care much for this program best idea is to dump this asap..

That and tweaking my brightness down to 30-40% my battery life went from maybe 5 hours to running almost a day and a half and still @ 50% battery!

Much thanks to everyone - saved me from downgrading..
    01-05-09 07:06 PM
    OMG i would take my storm off charge at 6pm and it would be dead b4 i get home at 7:30am.... So i deleted Instango and i took it off charge yesterday at 6pm and it is 6:42am and I still have 65% left.
    01-12-09 05:43 AM
    I am not having problems with battery life. The juice is excellent on mine!
    01-12-09 05:49 AM
    Hey guys. . Just got the new Storm 9530 on Bell. . . I made the jump to a smartphone as I have a full time job and run an internet business on the side but cannot use the company computer. . I knew i needed a smartphone, but didn't like the ugliness/uncoolness of traditional Blackberrys but HATE Apple and didn't wanna rock an Iphone so Storm it was, I like the support and useability of blackberrys, but needed a sleek hi-tech cutting edge device to win me over and hold my own in the Iphone world.

So far so good. . No probs typing. . I am very fast with the multitap on T9 (I have very big fingers. . .In landscape qwerty its ok but slow and many typos. Suretype sucks.
    I find the phone slow, seems to lag at everything it does, switching screens, opening menus, going from screen to screen, everything!! But what/when it does it its very cool. not quite as advanced as i thought it would be, but fits the bill nonetheless. Screen is beautiful, background pics look awesome. (Monica Belucci )

I did a battery life pseudo torture test today for my new storm. .. Charged all night removed from charger at 8AM, on it (playing with it) all day consisting of:
    -2 hours of steady music
    -setting up all my email accounts and checking for available applications
    -35 text messages
    -5 emails
    -About an hour's worth of browsing and 20 min worth of trying to ****in navigate and reply to a post on a different forum. (cursor mode SUCKS, and it is VERY hard to navigate with fat fingers and molasses-like movements of the screen. And it doesn't even properly render images on my forums.
    -changing everything on the phone like 5 times
    -troubleshooting the media player with Bell (wont play youtube videos)
    -troubleshooting MSN (still does not work)
    -around 1.5 hours of total talk time (approx 7 phone calls.)
    -General getting used to the phone, seriously around 2 hours worth of typing.
    -Was prolly in the holster for a total of 1 hour. Was honestly lit up most of the day.
    -Was in bedside mode for a two hour nap.
    -Screen brightness is 100% (looks like **** otherwise)
    -Backlight timeout is 30 sec.

It is now 11:17 PM and my battery is 15%. . . Im kind of old school when it comes to charging techniques. I fully drained my batt when i first bought my phone, then fully charged it, will have to fully drain it tonight again to properly full charge it.

Overall im not too unimpressed with the batt life, I wasn't expecting it to be amazing. especially when you're constantly using it. I'll spring for the new 1600mAh batt's soon and go from there. . Im not a believer in dumbing down your phone for an extra hour or two of bettery life, just keep the chargers handy, but use your phone to the fullest. Thats why you bought it right, to enjoy it ?

The Storm itself is still teething, and I vowed to be patient with it. It is a VERY frustrating device when you need something done quickly and accurately, but can only get better right ? Im hoping updates will bring it on par with the run of the mill (bold/curve.etc) Blackberry's navigation and general working speeds. Good effort by RIM but personally I think it is a lackluster execution of technology.

G.
    01-14-09 01:37 AM
    Well, I decided to keep track of what I get for battery life after reading the stuff here on battery life issues.

I got the phone on Saturday the 3rd, and gave it a full charge. Turned it on for a little while, but boxed it up to send to PhantomSkinz so they could install their skin. Got it back the next Saturday, and turned it on. Activated it, played with it a bunch, basically let it completely drain from there, so it turned off by itself.

Then, put it in the charger for a full charge, that was on Sunday at some time. Played with it quite a bit Sunday, installing apps, browsing, etc, didn't charge it that night, went through 20-30 emails/txts that day, not a ton of other stuff. It was probably down to 20% Monday night, put it on the charger overnight, another full charge.

Unplugged it Tuesday(yesterday) morning. Probably 10-20 emails, 5-10 texts, played with it some, nothing major again. Didn't even charge it last night, and right now it shows the battery at 65%. I don't really run any apps, I have QuickPull and TalkLock installed, as well as the VisualArts myWallpaper thing that changes the background at a set time interval.

In short, I'm pretty happy with my battery life.

The only thing is, my memory decreased in the last 24 hours from around 40-42 MB to around 32 MB...lol. Not sure why can't I'm not really running much as far as apps....? But a QuickPull always brings it back up, so I'm not complaining too much, more or less just curious as to what's using it.
    01-14-09 07:18 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD