Ok, At work I just got a laser marking machine. Similar to what those stores have for marking all sorts of glassware and wedding gifts. I know it can mark anodized aluminium, and am assuming that that is what the back plate is made of. How much do new plates cost? and where can you find one? I might buy one and mark a picture on it as a test if it aint that expensive. The guy that sold us the laser marker was all excited about what you can have fun marking, and it rarely gets used at work so it would be fun to waste some time.
    11-16-08 04:02 PM
    I read somewhere that the battery door is made of stainless steel so I don't know if the laser you speak of would work or not.
    11-16-08 04:38 PM
    To the OP, if it works, and the battery cover isn't too expensive, would you consider doing this for other CB users for a fee?

I'd be interested in having the battery cover laser engraved.
    11-16-08 05:20 PM
    11-16-08 06:08 PM
    Hi Guys:

I sell Co 2 systems and you can check out a cool video of me engraving my pearl here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/wat...ngraved-34094/

Stainless can be engraved with Co 2 laser systems via a special optics package or by spraying on a product that leaves a permanent black engraving after the laser melts it onto the surface. There is a company in Hudson Wi that can do this for you. If interested PM me and I will pass on their contact information.
    11-16-08 06:32 PM
    What wattage co2 was that in the video? We have a 25watt CO2 laser, I know it can burn thru the anodize, I wanted to make sure what material it was on the phone. It is good for general purpose stuff and it can cut thru 1/8 or 3/16 plastic. You are right about making sure that the picture is of high quality using a crappy picture just gives crappy results.
    Since I work in a machine shop and the laser is for work purposes, I can't get away with marking a hundred of these things or nothing like that. I want to get a spare cover for myself first and see how it works first...... I might be able to get away with doing a couple of them here and there.
    There is a store in a mall close by that is called "things remembered" They would be able to do the same thing there not sure what it would cost but we use a similar system. They normally just do standard text and charge by the letter but I am sure that if you can be friendly with the sales person they might be able to do a favor.
    Once I get my storm and try it out, I will show you what it looks like I just feel that it has such a huge area on the back it is just screaming to be personalized there.
    11-16-08 07:02 PM
    That is a 40 watt system with the HPDFO optics. You can actually mark stainless steel directly with this system. Or you can use a product called Thermark and get a dark black mark on stainless. That is the only way you can get a direct mark on the Storm battery cover, if it is stainless, with a 25 watt machine.
    11-17-08 05:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD