I dont think anyone is saying that the Storm doesnt have any problems. All most people are saying is the Storm isnt as bad as some people appear to be making it. Honestly I dont think I know any cell phone that is perfect. Another BB or any other type of cell phone.

-Bob
    Exactly. my storm has issues. every phone i've had has had issues. every phone i didn't own but played with (including iphone and other berrys) has had issues. every phone has issues.

all that having been said, i love my storm. :-D
    05-21-09 07:20 PM
    I don't think the Storm is that bad. It's just that it's not up to par with the other BB devices in terms of how finished it was before release.

Plus, IMO, with the other devices, BB vs. iPhone is more of a tradeoff. About the only thing the Storm has over the iPhone is push email and a swappable battery.
    and copy/paste, and mms, and multitasking, and suretype keyboard layout, and the ability to download apps that apple might not approve of. :-p

and yes, iphone WILL be able to do copy/paste, MMS and multitasking, but it can't yet. :-p then there's also the fact that multitasking will almost inevitably have some impact on the devices performance/battery life, and i'm curious to see how that goes.
    05-21-09 07:32 PM
    If you do get one, don't assume some mythical OS release will turn the thing into a Pomegranate phone, instead assume it will stay as is forever while you're in the 30 day period to decide whether to keep it or not.
    agreed. don't assume anything about what's going to happen. on the other hand, don't stick to the stock OS for the 30 days either. upgrade to .148 and use that as your test. at least that's what i would recommend.
    05-21-09 07:35 PM
    No,it's not that bad. It has a few quirks, but nothing major in my experience. Only you can decide though, as it's obviously not for everyone.
    05-21-09 07:38 PM
    The minority speaks the loudest, it really is not bad.

If yours comes with os version .75, I do recoment doing some reading on upgrading to another leeked OS. Most people who complain don't dare upgrade to the leeked OS. It really is not that hard to do (bit of reading on CB)

Mine came with OS version 76 and it was great, I upgraded to version .122 and its way better. I never had any of the problems some people complain about. Did I mention I love the click screen? It took some practice but I'm really good at typing on it too. The leeked OS has a full qwerty keyboard in protrait and that's how I prefer typing on it.
    05-21-09 07:42 PM
    If you like a little fun with your phone, go with a Storm. I've had mine since November 21 and LOVE IT. It beats the pants off of any Windows Mobile device and is extremely reliable once you strip off the crappy Verizon software. I use Google Maps, take pictures, videos, watch videos, send sms, mms, and run a number of games. I don't have any of the problems the whiners on here complain about. I've also had fun installing every leaked OS that has come out and never had any problems with that either. Problem is, if you ask for an opinion on CrackBerry, you're gonna hear a bunch of bashers say it sucks. I'm sure a lot of people who are happy with the phone don't visit here much any more because it is similar to walking into a daycare facility with a bunch of crybabies that bring back their phone any time it has the slightest problem.
    05-21-09 07:54 PM
    Storm is not as bad as many make it out to be however if you own other BBs you will see the Storm can't hold a candle to the 8900 or 9000. Shame such great potential wasted due to laziness on RIMs part.

EDIT: Basically its like this; New BB owners love the Storm because frankly they haven't used other BBs, others like me who been using nothing but RIM phones for a while see the Storm as mediocre because performance wise its not as reliable as the other BB we have used.
    +1 I completely agree. I have the Storm because of the touch screen, I find it easier actually, as well as this is RIM's first touch screen and I was curious. It is not a bad phone by any means, but compare it to the bold and it just doesn't hold up. Performance is definitely somewhat of an issue. I'd even say.......my old 8310 had about the same amount of performance, save the extra memory and new technology of course.
    05-21-09 08:03 PM
    If you like a little fun with your phone, go with a Storm. I've had mine since November 21 and LOVE IT. It beats the pants off of any Windows Mobile device and is extremely reliable once you strip off the crappy Verizon software. I use Google Maps, take pictures, videos, watch videos, send sms, mms, and run a number of games. I don't have any of the problems the whiners on here complain about. I've also had fun installing every leaked OS that has come out and never had any problems with that either. Problem is, if you ask for an opinion on CrackBerry, you're gonna hear a bunch of bashers say it sucks. I'm sure a lot of people who are happy with the phone don't visit here much any more because it is similar to walking into a daycare facility with a bunch of crybabies that bring back their phone any time it has the slightest problem.
    And you beat me to it. After having Verizon's Pocket PC....wow, the Storm beats the crap out of it, but again, there are the other BB's that can outperform the Storm...though IMO, none are as sexy as the Storm. either way, I am sticking to it. I don't care about the Storm 2, as I still believe originals are the best.
    05-21-09 08:06 PM
    The Storm is a phone that can run some applications. Nothing more. Just like all the other so called "smartphones". Too many people expect it to wipe their butts, hold their hands, tell them bedtime stories, make them look cool to the chicks, wash their car, and run just like a full size pc. Well folks, it can't and never will. Deal with it, or get rid of it.
    Last edited by wxman2003; 05-21-09 at 09:48 PM.
    05-21-09 09:45 PM
    For me the Storm is my favorite of all phones, but you really shouldn't listen to anyone on here. Go to the store and play with one. If you like it...buy it. If it's not what you want before the 30 days are up, return it. No one here can tell you if you'll like it any more than they can tell if blue is the best of all the colors. It's all a matter of individual opinion. I will tell you that ANY problem that you find complaints about for this phone can be corrected. Most with OS upgrades. The one that comes on it (.75) is pretty lame for all the phones capabilities.

Go try it/buy it..then keep it or return it.

Grey
    05-21-09 09:56 PM
    For me the Storm is my favorite of all phones, but you really shouldn't listen to anyone on here. Go to the store and play with one. If you like it...buy it. If it's not what you want before the 30 days are up, return it. No one here can tell you if you'll like it any more than they can tell if blue is the best of all the colors. It's all a matter of individual opinion. I will tell you that ANY problem that you find complaints about for this phone can be corrected. Most with OS upgrades. The one that comes on it (.75) is pretty lame for all the phones capabilities.

Go try it/buy it..then keep it or return it.

Grey
    playing with the one at the store can give an unfairly negative impression. the ones i've seen in stores have been almost non-responsive, because people have opened every app imaginable and not closed them. better bet would be finding a friend with one you could play with. barring that, i guess a store model would work best. try to sneak in a battery pull and then play with it. ;-)
    05-21-09 10:26 PM
    If you do get one, don't assume some mythical OS release will turn the thing into a Pomegranate phone, instead assume it will stay as is forever while you're in the 30 day period to decide whether to keep it or not.
    Quoted for truth. There is NOTHING wrong with the Storm, especially one running the 4.7.0.148 OS that just leaked; that isn't wrong with other Blackberries. It's exactly what it is: a touchscreen Blackberry. Too many folks bought it expecting an iPhone, and since it doesn't have a fancy accelerated GUI, "flick" scrolling, multitouch pinch zooming; they aren't satisfied. But it's not supposed to be an iPhone; like I said, it's a touchscreen Blackberry.

(and to the people who keep acting like the iPhone has instant accelerometer transitioning, you're imagining things if the iPhone is like the iPod Touch. There is quite a bit of accelerometer lag, while the screen draws the animation you can see it hesitate. I'd say on .148 the Storm has a faster accelerometer)
    05-21-09 10:32 PM

If yours comes with os version .75, I do recoment doing some reading on upgrading to another leeked OS. Most people who complain don't dare upgrade to the leeked OS. It really is not that hard to do (bit of reading on CB)

Mine came with OS version 76 and it was great, I upgraded to version .122 and its way better. I never had any of the problems some people complain about. Did I mention I love the click screen? It took some practice but I'm really good at typing on it too. The leeked OS has a full qwerty keyboard in protrait and that's how I prefer typing on it.
    This really kills me. Why should he(or she) have to go through the whole "leaked" OS installation hassle? The biggest gripe most people have with the Storm is its lack of support from VZW. The "leaks" help the phone run smoother, however, don't expect it to run as smooth as the new iPhone or Pre.

Eh. It's a trade off. If you absolutely must have a good touchscreen phone and are not too worried about network coverage, go with the iPhone or Pre. If you have to have good coverage then you'll have to suck it up with the (mediocre) Storm.

People are right though, the phone is not THAT bad, it serves its purpose, but it does so on its own accord. If I could go back in time and tell myself about the experience I've had with the Storm, I'd buy something different .
    05-21-09 10:53 PM
    Every phone I have ever owned has had some type of problem at one time or another. I personally love the Storm. I believe I use quite a few of the BlackBerry features rather than just using it to place calls. Now granted I am not the CEO of a 500 company, but I still believe I use it a lot.

With that said, I'm sure the OS will continue to update, and you have to be willing to LEARN a blackberry device. If that is the case, then go for it. I am happy and I don't let others 'ragging on it', change my mind.
    05-21-09 11:01 PM

If yours comes with OS version .75, I do *recommend* doing some reading on upgrading to *a* *leaked* OS. Most people who complain don't dare upgrade to *a* *leaked* OS. It really is not that hard to do (bit of reading on CB)*.*

Mine came with OS version .76 and it was great*.* I upgraded to version .122 and its way better. I never had any of the problems some people complain about. Did I mention *that* I love the click screen? It took some practice but I'm really good at typing on it too. The *leaked* OS has a full qwerty keyboard in *portrait* and that's how I prefer typing on it.
    I love the internet. Don't take it personal, just here to help.
    05-21-09 11:06 PM
    Quoted for truth. There is NOTHING wrong with the Storm, especially one running the 4.7.0.148 OS that just leaked; that isn't wrong with other Blackberries. It's exactly what it is: a touchscreen Blackberry. Too many folks bought it expecting an iPhone, and since it doesn't have a fancy accelerated GUI, "flick" scrolling, multitouch pinch zooming; they aren't satisfied. But it's not supposed to be an iPhone; like I said, it's a touchscreen Blackberry.

(and to the people who keep acting like the iPhone has instant accelerometer transitioning, you're imagining things if the iPhone is like the iPod Touch. There is quite a bit of accelerometer lag, while the screen draws the animation you can see it hesitate. I'd say on .148 the Storm has a faster accelerometer)
    NOTHING wrong with the storm? So you must have gotten a perfect one... From my experience the storm is ****, I'm on my fourth one and nothing has gotten better. Even with the upgrades...
    05-21-09 11:23 PM
    Yeah it is, don't let these folks BS you! Just read the forum below and u will see, most will agree and some just can't come to terms that this phone is not up to par!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/can-t-wait-219898/
    This is one of the things I actually hate about Crackberry; ppl feeling as though their experience is golden enough that it should count for everybody else's too. Good grief, just because you or other ppl hated the Storm DOES NOT mean that we are in denial. We've had great experiences; we like the Storm. Get that thru ur noggins.

Yalls opinions are not important enough to be automatically universal. Stop discrediting other ppl's perception for God's sake.
    05-21-09 11:24 PM
    With .148 typing is much easier on the Storm and it made a big difference in the functionality of the device. Thanks lyricidal!

There are a few things that are not as convenient as they were on a device with hardware keyboard (couple extra steps to get right to the correct contact- can't just press D to get to my contacts whose name starts with D. Gotta click in the typing area, rotate to landscape, type D).

Browsing the internet is a bit easier, but I still don't surf much (never have). The larger screen and the ability to store more music are great.

I knew it was a give and take going to a device without a physical keyboard, but all in all I am happy. I'm not so happy they are coming out with the Storm 2 so soon though.
    05-21-09 11:31 PM
    I like my storm a whole lot, never really had any issues with it, even when I was running the stock OS.
    05-21-09 11:35 PM
    The storm is not as bad as bloggers, Media had put it to be.. sure when it first came out it was kinda "ugh!" but now since so many updates had been release the storm is a OK blackberry.. I have one and i like it dont see what the media was talking about and youtube reviewers.. typing is ok i like the whole pressing the whole screen thing its not that hard to get use to..

So at the end don't let bloggers or videos or users that never ever own one tell you its bad.. it mostly matters on user who is going to be using the phone

P.S Just be ready for slower typing
    05-22-09 01:23 AM
    I love my Storm!!! Had it since Nov '08 and still using OS .75. The storm is my first BB and my previous smartphone was a HTC Mogul Windows Mobile. I have not had one problem with this phone. Maybe I am lucky this my first BB so I have nothing to compare it to but this is the best phone I have ever owned. It does everything I want it to do and never reboots randomly like my Mogul did twice a week.
    05-22-09 11:03 AM
    Personally I love my storm. Yeah its probably not a BB for everyone, and it takes a lot of getting used too...but I like it. I'm also still running it on OS .75. and it works great, atleast for me lol
    05-22-09 11:08 AM
    I absolutely love my storm. It just keeps getting better and better with every leaked OS. Currently running .148 with .90 radio and its awesome.
    05-22-09 11:20 AM
    it just depends who you ask. you will get out of it what you put into it.

bottom line is with the new S/W leaks (possibly the next VZW release) that it feels like a blackberry should.
    05-22-09 11:22 AM
    I am not in denial about the problems with this phone. I just don't happen to have them. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones. But since this is my first BB I had a learning curve to over come. I read many threads about what it should or should not do. I even began to down load the leaks. I am now on .148 and love this thing more and more every day.
    05-22-09 11:26 AM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD