Will I be able to get a Storm since I have Alltel?
    10-07-08 03:19 PM
    Perhaps after merger is complete.
    10-07-08 03:19 PM
    Will I be able to get a Storm since I have Alltel?
    That is a very good question. I'm thinking at one point it will be an option. has the merger/takeover/buyout been completed yet?
    10-07-08 03:20 PM
    That is a very good question. I'm thinking at one point it will be an option. has the merger/takeover/buyout been completed yet?
    No, it's still pending FCC approval. Supposed to be done by the end of the year though. At that point, then the OP would be able to use the Storm, because technically they would be a VZW customer.

Edit: I do know a girl that has a VZW RAZR ( pffftt! ) on Alltels network. So, who knows?
    Last edited by scurvydlicious; 10-07-08 at 03:30 PM.
    10-07-08 03:23 PM
    I emailed VZW about being an alltel customer and asking about upgrades and this is the answer I recieved. "once you become a Verizon Wireless customer, you will be able to take advantage of our "Annual upgrade" option as long as you maintain a calling plan of $49.99 or higher.

Additionally, our "Standard Upgrade" policy requires you have completed 20 months of your contract in order to take advantage of discount pricing. When participating in our Equipment Upgrade Program, the purchase of your upgraded equipment at a discounted rate is contingent upon your renewal of your Customer Agreement for an additional one or two years.

Verizon Wireless announced an agreement to acquire Alltel. We expect to close on this purchase by the end of the year 2008, pending governmental and regulatory approval. Until approval is received, Verizon Wireless and Alltel must operate as separate companies."

This works perfectly for me and the wife since our "20 month mark" with our alltel contract is in feburary.
    10-07-08 07:42 PM
    This works perfectly for me and the wife since our "20 month mark" with our alltel contract is in feburary.
    It will be more perfect if Verizon will be able to "see" when your Alltel upgrade is/was supposed to be and apply it to your vzw account seamlessly... Here's to hoping it's a smooth transition.
    10-07-08 07:49 PM
    That is very true. Hopefully if the merger is completed by the end of the year they will have everything worked out.

Since your a verizon customer already, I have a question for you.

Is there much of a difference between the "annual" and "standard" upgrades especially with a BB? The reason I ask is to see if it would be worth waiting until feb. to get the storm or get it as soon as the merger is complete (but like you said if there is a smooth transition).
    10-07-08 07:58 PM
    The annual upgrade is usually 50 and the NE2 is 100 bucks. Not a whole lot of difference but either way you still get discounted pricing/rebates on top of that discount.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 08:15 PM
    That is very true. Hopefully if the merger is completed by the end of the year they will have everything worked out.

Since your a verizon customer already, I have a question for you.

Is there much of a difference between the "annual" and "standard" upgrades especially with a BB? The reason I ask is to see if it would be worth waiting until feb. to get the storm or get it as soon as the merger is complete (but like you said if there is a smooth transition).
    The annual upgrade is 2 year pricing of a new phone ( as if you're a new customer, same rebates apply, if you're not a VIP customer you can expect to pay $20 extra for using an early upgrade, and you have to be on a price plan that is $49.99 or higher a month ), the standard upgrade, if you wait 20 months is 2 year pricing plus an additional new every 2 credit... Depending on your price plan you can get a $50 or $100 credit for a new phone ( $34.99-$79.98 price plan is $50 credit, $79.99-and higher is the $100 credit... ). If you have a family share, the secondary line ( that only pays $9.99 ) is not eligible for the annual upgrade, nor the new every two credit..
    10-07-08 08:17 PM
    So is the price plan just your "base plan" with minutes or does it include all of your add-ons like texts and internet? And the family plan means the 2nd line can only upgrade ever 2 years when the contract is up and not get the new every 2?

Thanks for all the info by the way, I really appreciate it!
    10-07-08 08:59 PM
    So is the price plan just your "base plan" with minutes or does it include all of your add-ons like texts and internet? And the family plan means the 2nd line can only upgrade ever 2 years when the contract is up and not get the new every 2?

Thanks for all the info by the way, I really appreciate it!
    Yes, it's your base plan without the inclusion of any features. Like if you were on the 900 minute basic plan for $59.99 a month with the $29.99 blackberry unlimited data plan and $10 txt bundle, you would still only qualify for the $50 new every two credit. I know, it sucks. And yes, the secondary line on a family share is only able to upgrade every 20 months and does not qualify for any additional credits towards a new phone.
    10-07-08 09:03 PM
    The annual upgrade is 2 year pricing of a new phone ( as if you're a new customer, same rebates apply, if you're not a VIP customer you can expect to pay $20 extra for using an early upgrade, and you have to be on a price plan that is $49.99 or higher a month ), the standard upgrade, if you wait 20 months is 2 year pricing plus an additional new every 2 credit... Depending on your price plan you can get a $50 or $100 credit for a new phone ( $34.99-$79.98 price plan is $50 credit, $79.99-and higher is the $100 credit... ). If you have a family share, the secondary line ( that only pays $9.99 ) is not eligible for the annual upgrade, nor the new every two credit..
    you covered it all except for the some VIP points.

if you are a vip customer and use an annual upgrade, you will get 50 dollars off the phone and NOT pay the 20 dollars extra for using an early upgrade. also if you are a 2ndary line on a family plan, there is an activaton fee of 20 dollars to upgrade your phone unless you are a vip customer.
    10-07-08 10:30 PM
    you covered it all except for the some VIP points.

if you are a vip customer and use an annual upgrade, you will get 50 dollars off the phone and NOT pay the 20 dollars extra for using an early upgrade. also if you are a 2ndary line on a family plan, there is an activaton fee of 20 dollars to upgrade your phone unless you are a vip customer.
    Hate to take a tangent further, but what constitutes a VIP customer? Is it rate plan or time as customer??
    10-07-08 10:40 PM
    I really appreciate all the info. Can't wait for the 1st of the year so I can get a BB storm............and to think I actually had a brain fart at one point and thought about switching back to AT&T (especially after the screwing me and the wife took from them) just to get an iphone. I deserve 20 lashes for that thought! lol
    10-07-08 10:43 PM
    I was just at the Alltel store yesterday. The rep I spoke to said that the network integration is complete and they are beginning to dissolve the Alltel brand. They expect to be complete with that process by November 2009. Currently, Alltel members and Verizon members are considered part of the same family so, texting (with and applicable plan) and mobile to mobile calls within the two networks are free. He didn't know if they had started allowing Alltel customers to port over their phones to Verizon yet. Although, at some point you will be able to opt out of your contract if you do not wish to continue with Verizon, probably close to November. Expect that your plan rates will go up in price. He also told me that he does not know what is going to happen to all the Alltel stores and employees after November.
    03-24-09 07:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD