Hi all,

Just recieved my storm today, and am new to Blackberry. Was just wondering if anyone had discovered a way of accessing some sort of data counter as im going to need to keep an eye on that 500mb data limit!

Cheers
    11-15-08 03:22 PM
    welcome to CB! and I can't help you sorry unless you can check online daily and see. sorry
    11-15-08 03:28 PM
    There's Minimoni. However, it may not work 100%. From threads I've read, it doesn't work fully on the Bold, but the data monitor part works just fine. I would assume it's the same for the Storm.

MiniMoni - Traffic monitor for BlackBerry
    11-15-08 03:30 PM
    Ok thanks very much, I will download.
    11-15-08 03:50 PM
    Yes

Vodas 500meg limit is a joke, when you know the G1 has 3 gigabytes, and the iPhone unlimited

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 04:37 PM
    Someone help and explain this to me. How would you go over the limit? With BlackBerry dont you have to pay $30 extra a month just for it? I thought the $30 extra gives you unlimited everything, well data i'm speaking. Someone explain if you pay the $30 extra you will get unlimited email and internet, and I wont have to worry about going over a limit. I'm speaking about verizon by the way.
    11-15-08 04:50 PM
    Someone help and explain this to me. How would you go over the limit? With BlackBerry dont you have to pay $30 extra a month just for it? I thought the $30 extra gives you unlimited everything, well data i'm speaking. Someone explain if you pay the $30 extra you will get unlimited email and internet, and I wont have to worry about going over a limit. I'm speaking about verizon by the way.
    They are talking about data rates on Vodafone, in the UK. Not Verizon, or any US carrier.
    11-15-08 04:57 PM
    I know but this still made me wonder if on Verizon the extra cost covers unlimited internet, does it?
    11-15-08 05:06 PM
    Yes it does; up to 5gb a month. Over that and they figure you're streaming something 24/7 or something similar and that's against TOS.
    11-15-08 05:37 PM
    Yes it does; up to 5gb a month. Over that and they figure you're streaming something 24/7 or something similar and that's against TOS.
    If its 5GB then its not unlimited.
    11-15-08 08:11 PM
    If its 5GB then its not unlimited.

Defo not unlimited.

But will be hard to breach 5G

500meg can be busted in just over a week easy.
    11-16-08 12:00 AM
    Here is part of the "fine print" off verizon's website.

The Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.
    11-16-08 12:08 AM
    would sitting on aim or yahoo messenger be considered streaming data? Isnt that "staying" online. I see some of my frirends do it all of the time.
    11-16-08 12:20 AM
    Are you serious.....500mb!!!!

Where can I find the terms and conditions'

So I ordered the Storm with a contract...

a. 300 minutes/sms � 35,00
    b. unlimited internet � 10,00
    c. push email blackberry � 12,50 !?

for � 57,50 a month
    1st year � 44,50 a month

so I guess in my case the 500mb is for push mail blackberry ?

� 12,50 for only push mail or can I do other things with it to?
    I'm new and its going to be my first blackberry....Any good advice/tips are appreciated.
    Last edited by vincenttanakiam; 11-16-08 at 02:46 AM.
    11-16-08 02:44 AM
    I have the $30 data/email plan with VZW for my BB and I've never had an issue with using to much data. I use it all the time surfing the web, etc. and it's never been a problem. Can't imagine what you would have to be doing to for it to become a problem.
    11-16-08 02:54 AM
    5 Gigs on a computer is hard enough...on a blackberry, good luck.
    11-16-08 02:55 AM
    but if im on AIM 24/7 is that going to screw me ?
    11-16-08 02:57 AM
    No. I'm on AIM and yahoo messenger constantly (not to mention near constant use of crackberry, viigo and several other data accessing applications) and my current usage is 53,605 KB with 3 days left in my billing cycle. And btw...the 5 gig is pretty stringently enforced but on a smart phone the data usage allowance listed on myverizon "Unlimited".
    11-16-08 03:02 AM
    5 Gigs on a computer is hard enough...on a blackberry, good luck.
    I blow 5 GB an hr on my PC easily 2 downloads and that's busted and that's before my morning coffee.

As for MiniMon, the data tracking on the Bold does NOT work right and it's a pretty safe bet to say that's not gonna change on the Storm, if you are using it to monitor your data be weary, cause it's not correct.

And IM 24/7 will not kill 500MB, but combine that with emails and web browsing, you may go over..I have Rogers 6GB plan on mine...constant emails,constant BBM, Streaming video/Music..You name it I do it. And I have yet to go past 450MB and this is NOT average use, this is HEAVY use.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-16-08 at 03:08 AM.
    11-16-08 03:05 AM
    but if im on AIM 24/7 is that going to screw me ?
    Hey Sooks no if you are only on aim you will not even come close to the 5GB limit even 24/7 and the only real stipulation is if you are effecting the data network they will send you a msg telling you, you need to stop and desist before they disconnect you.

And Verizon themselves allow for streaming video games and what not as well as youtube videos. So they really need to re-write that part. As for games there are several games out there that you can play with your buddy that keep a network connection going the whole time you are playing it. Youtube streaming media and they allow it. Also the are working with Tivo right now to give you the capability to stream your tivo to your BB so if they did not allow it you would be screwed. Verizon tests these programs to make sure they do not adversely effect there network. The fine print was for the days when high data traffic effected everyone else in the area. Now days you really don't need to worry about it. the fine print is only there for people running p2p programs or multi-connection type programs that bog down network efficiency. So only if it effects there data network will they come down on you.

Edit: Also I did hear someone mention that when you are over seas there is a data counter that can be reset built into the phone. And only the world phone edition and now Storm have them I may be wrong in this but I know i remember hearing about it. SO you would have to ask someone else were to view it if it is there. My guess would be somewhere you go to see the up time your phone has had. MAYBE......
    Last edited by WG; 11-16-08 at 03:55 AM.
    11-16-08 03:50 AM
    to the original poster....

500mb i think is plenty if you use your bb sensibly. ie. don't download dj mixes, music, tv, film on it. that's what a pc/laptop is for ;-)

for general browsing, using IM clients, sat nav i think you'd be hard pushed to go over that 500mb. all of this i did regularly when i had my 8800 and rarely went above 30mb useage. i now have the Bold so obviously use wi-fi where possible, but even so i think you will be ok.
    11-16-08 05:49 AM
    Are you serious.....500mb!!!!

Where can I find the terms and conditions'

So I ordered the Storm with a contract...

a. 300 minutes/sms � 35,00
    b. unlimited internet � 10,00
    c. push email blackberry � 12,50 !?

for � 57,50 a month
    1st year � 44,50 a month

so I guess in my case the 500mb is for push mail blackberry ?

� 12,50 for only push mail or can I do other things with it to?
    I'm new and its going to be my first blackberry....Any good advice/tips are appreciated.
    Vincent, don't be affraid I am using Vodafone for quite some time now, use my phone for tethering to my laptop when I'm traveling, use somewhere between 1gb and 20 gb on a monthly base (5gb isn't very hard when tethering, trust me, I have sessions where I use 1gb in one nightly session) and I have never had any complaints to my side from Vodafone. There is no data limit here in NL, they use a FUP (Fair usage policy) which means that you should not use any more than I believe 25x the average usage of everyone using VF Data plans.
    Let me tell you, I know of people who use it as their primary internet connection and only heard of 1 person who has had a letter asking him to cut down a little, because 100GB was a bit much (also tethering, downloading movies from bit torrent and stuff....)
    11-16-08 07:30 AM
    So let me get this straight, with Vodafone, there is a 500MB fair usage policy, but if you go over it they won't charge you, they could just contact you and ask you to cut down your usage?

12-30-08 07:30 AM
    Also - I can call 44555 from my phone and vodafone will send me a text with my data use, minutes and texts used, though some of the things from the last 72 hours can be missing - the past two days I've done mine it's given me the same info even though I've called, texted and used the internet loads.

Argh.
    12-30-08 07:32 AM
    I have the $30 data/email plan with VZW for my BB and I've never had an issue with using to much data. I use it all the time surfing the web, etc. and it's never been a problem. Can't imagine what you would have to be doing to for it to become a problem.
    Sling mobile*when the official release for blackberry storm happens* :P or ORB.... Lots and lots of youtube.... I do orb and youtube extensivly watched 2 full dvds movies that happened to be in my cd/dvd rom on my computer at the time through orb and I hit over 200 MB.. of course I have thirteen days left in the billing cycle to try to get it up over 500MB but as I'm on VZW and have the unlim blackberry internet email plan I don't think I will have a problem. I can't wait for sling mobile to come out for blackberry storm :P
    Last edited by mythicninja; 12-30-08 at 08:04 AM.
    12-30-08 07:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD