09-02-10 01:53 PM
44 12
tools
    I have loved my Storm1 since my first purchase in late June 2009. Recently it began giving me problems, I swapped it under warranty & am on my 2nd and now having problems w/it so I'm gonna go back and have them swap it again hopefully this week.

I had been waiting it out for Storm3 and the promised physical keyboard but started getting antsy when I heard so much about Droid so then started investigating and thinking about going Droid.

I found that I really do NOT like the way any of the Android OS phones look and I do love the way a Storm looks. From everything I've seen the big push w/Droid is that it's got speed all over any of the BB's. At this point in time I'm not willing to give up my Storm for a Droid because for me, speed is *not* the most important thing. Would it be nice? You bet! But not worth toting around a phone that I really dislike the looks of. The Droid seems to also be geared more to multi-media, could be wrong but seems like it and I'm not a music & video junkie which means it's not so important to me to have the latest/greatest/fastest music & video stuff.

So for now I'm hanging onto my Storm1 (with the exception of swapping it for one that hopefully won't give me grief). I fell in phone-lust after seeing the Torch and I'm assuming the Storm3 will resemble that when it hits VZW and by then have made some improvements over things people are complaining about with the first batch. Prolly not a good idea to run out and buy a first round phone anyway. I think I got lucky as I originally didn't have any of the problems w/my Storm that others reported. Seems to be catching up with me now but not enough to convert me away from my BB Storm at least for now.
    So you did all of that typing to basically say that you buy your phones based solely on looks?
    08-15-10 07:26 AM
    No. But when I spend the kind of money it costs for a phone and service I want to like what I'm looking at.
    08-15-10 09:06 AM
    Yep, I am with these folks. Almost everyone has mentioned low app memory here. That is the single most worst part of the Storm 1. It is like, if U bought a car with a 20 gallon gas tank, U could only fill up the car 2 gallons at a time. The other 18 gallon space is reserved for ... If U like apps get another model.

I do not like BB email either. When you open an email that has graphics, they do not load, you just get text. I am testing getting my Gmail directly from the web. If I can get graphics, I will dump the email that is pushed to the phone.

I did not like the texting app that comes with the phone. 168 characters and ur done. So, one of the few apps that I do have is crunchSMS. It lets you text as much as you want then breaks the message down into several separate texts that the recipient gets. Works for me.

A problem with the video camera showed up with the .328 upgrade. The volume is way low on ur videos. The volume keys control the zoom in, zoom out now instead of the volume. No one has fixed that yet that I can find.

I do not like the browser either. After all this time, I have found the mobile versions of most web sites and am happy with them and the load speed etc. Since U can only have one web page open at once, unless U get Opera Mini app, U have to constantly navigate to ur bookmarks for new pages.

That is solved for me now too. Yesterday I found out by reading the home page of this site about an app, ShortcutMe_Touch. I bought it and after a few hours of learning how to use it, I now only have to hit what used to be my camera key, and this program pops up with all my favorite web pages listed. I just touch one of the links and away I go. It is great. It is easy to add new ones, just go to the page, hit the BB key scroll to "page address" then copy the address, hit the "camera key" the program pops up, hit the blackberry key and choose "add shortcut"...

Yep, I like my S1 even though I have become angry with it and tossed it into the woods a few times, only to take my real phone out and dial the number, so I could find it in the woods. Yep, the longer U keep it, the better it gets.

So, I am keeping my S1 until something comes out that is better. Sure there are better phones out there, but now, I have made this phone do what I want it to do, I do not need a new phone. Sure, I love have "pinch to zoom" and a larger screen, and a real browser.

Web pages just load slow. I tested the Droid X, but it does not load web pages much faster than the S1, even though someone commented that the Droid X could load a page faster without a signal, than the S1 does with a signal. HA, HA!
    Last edited by chrstdvd; 08-15-10 at 03:52 PM.
    08-15-10 03:45 PM
    If you keep your storm up to date and make it "skinny" (Remove the junky apps) its a great phone. After replacing 1 screen and as someone else, i think 20+ software upgrades I really love this phone.
    08-15-10 04:42 PM
    i've had mine replaced four times since september2009 (twice for camera problems, twice for screen sensitivity) but i love this phone, i've always cleaned it out, used QuickPull & LogCut so that helps it from lagging at all. it's been a good phone.
    Last edited by tayzombie; 08-15-10 at 08:51 PM.
    08-15-10 08:46 PM
    Worst "smartphone" ever...Period!
    do you like have any reasoning behind that?
    08-15-10 08:48 PM
    I got my Storm1 about a year ago and I've been happy with it since the OS 5.0 upgrade (currently running .797 and it's a good improvement over .328). I use my phone mainly for work, so I don't use a lot of apps or games (I have like 10 apps installed). I work in a wood shop and have dropped the phone a number of times on concrete - other than a few scratches the phone still functions just fine.

My biggest gripes are;

1. Boot time (it takes about 5 mins to reboot after battery pull)
    2. Clunky interaction with some apps (e.g. Google Maps)
    3. VERY slow web browsing
    4. No Wi-Fi

Other than the above issues, I'm very happy with the Storm - it's turned out to be a great value for me (I grabbed one for me and one my wife during a buy-one-get-one sale at Verizon for just $50) and it does everything I need it to do.

Looking forward, I'm due for an upgrade with Verizon but the Strom2 doesn't seem to be a huge upgrade from the original Storm. I'm going to hold out for the Storm 3/4 - if RIM hits a home run with either of those I will definitely get one, otherwise it looks like I'm going to try an Android phone (wouldn't ever consider an iPhone if it does come to Verizon as I despise Apple).
    08-16-10 11:44 AM
    Got my storm mid Dec. 2008. Absolutely loved it with .75, had fun with all of the leaks (.797 now), but its upgrade time. I don't feel like waiting for LTE in my area (and storm3), so Droid X here I come!

Definitely keeping the storm for travel purposes though!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 02:01 PM
    I've had the storm since the day it was released (Dec 08). I actually was in line at the Verizon store waiting for it to open. I have had my storm replaced.. but I can honestly say that I LOVE MY STORM. Was hoping to get the TORCH but will not go to AT&T. I'm eligible for an upgrade (Storm 2) but will wait and hoping that Verizon will eventually offer Storm 3 or 4 ??... Come on VERIZON... When will you be getting the upgraded STORM... I will wait patiently!!
    08-16-10 02:35 PM
    Another S1 user here, same device since purchased in Dec 08. And I'm still run'n .328 and haven't reinstalled since. I've thought many times to do a wipe and start w/a clean slate but like re-imaging a pc, it's a pain to re-install everything and get everything back to my preferences. Still waiting for that rainy day I guess...

But I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, my phone is on the up and up say 90% of the time. Occasionally I'll have a random reboot or something quirky but not nearly as often as others have reported. Two guys at my work have S1s and they're just amazed on how functional and how much I use mine. To top that off, they barely have any apps where I'm run'n over 20 apps. Sure the lag, lack of memory, and the default theme bugs me too but on the plus side, between managing 5 emails (including work), being able to view multiple calendars, DataVault (which I use daily), txt'n, BBM, GoogleMaps, Tether, Facebook, Foursquare, keeping tabs on weather via WeatherBug, listen'n to my 2000+ songs or watching one of a handful full length movies, I've gotten more use out of my S1 than anyone could imagine I think. I even run themes every now and then just to give my phone a new look and it does satisfy me for a little while.

I'm due for an upgrade and I refuse to have an iPhone so that just leave Droid phones. I'm a loyalist when it comes to things, especially when it does most things I need it to do. Having things run much faster is a plus for me of course but playing games isn't enough for me to jump ship. If S2.5 or 3 is what its rumored to be, then we'd be golden. If I can do everything above while run'n BB6 on a 2.5/3, I'd be a happy camper.

A couple screen shots of mine:

08-26-10 12:16 AM
    Another S1 user here, same device since purchased in Dec 08. And I'm still run'n .328 and haven't reinstalled since. I've thought many times to do a wipe and start w/a clean slate but like re-imaging a pc, it's a pain to re-install everything and get everything back to my preferences. Still waiting for that rainy day I guess...

But I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, my phone is on the up and up say 90% of the time. Occasionally I'll have a random reboot or something quirky but not nearly as often as others have reported. Two guys at my work have S1s and they're just amazed on how functional and how much I use mine. To top that off, they barely have any apps where I'm run'n over 20 apps. Sure the lag, lack of memory, and the default theme bugs me too but on the plus side, between managing 5 emails (including work), being able to view multiple calendars, DataVault (which I use daily), txt'n, BBM, GoogleMaps, Tether, Facebook, Foursquare, keeping tabs on weather via WeatherBug, listen'n to my 2000+ songs or watching one of a handful full length movies, I've gotten more use out of my S1 than anyone could imagine I think. I even run themes every now and then just to give my phone a new look and it does satisfy me for a little while.

I'm due for an upgrade and I refuse to have an iPhone so that just leave Droid phones. I'm a loyalist when it comes to things, especially when it does most things I need it to do. Having things run much faster is a plus for me of course but playing games isn't enough for me to jump ship. If S2.5 or 3 is what its rumored to be, then we'd be golden. If I can do everything above while run'n BB6 on a 2.5/3, I'd be a happy camper.

A couple screen shots of mine:

I love the waterfall theme... Very pretty.
    08-26-10 11:14 AM
    Can't remember when I bought the my storm, but I love it, it's not that bad... I've run it down to <5mb of app memory without crashing, I push it to the limit, and it works well. Think of it likle a diesel engine, it works better the more it has to do it seems like...
    08-26-10 11:33 AM
    Hello storm users well I have a question because I here tons of people complaining that their storm is a piece of garbage and that they hate it and that it's slow as **** blah blah.. but is it really that bad? I'm, planning on trading with a friend my 8900 for a Storm 1 because I'm bored of my phone and I want a touchscreen blackberry. So is it really that bad? thank you
    its a love hate relationship, some people love it, but some hate it,
    08-26-10 03:28 PM
    The only thing I've done is to cut a business card in half, and stick both halves behind my battery to help with the click typing of whatever it's called
    08-27-10 07:44 AM
    I love the waterfall theme... Very pretty.
    Thanks -- although any theme kills my storm's memory. =/ I just get so bored w/the default theme.

its a love hate relationship, some people love it, but some hate it,
    That's exactly what I tell people when they ask me about my phone.

The only thing I've done is to cut a business card in half, and stick both halves behind my battery to help with the click typing of whatever it's called
    Yes, it's like night and day. I have a couple pieces of folded post-it notes behind my battery and the clicking is 200% responsive from all 4 corners.
    Last edited by III 4U2NV III; 08-28-10 at 12:03 AM.
    08-27-10 11:59 PM
    Like many of you, I heard how horrible the Storm is because of this and that. Well, it's bunk! I just switched from a Tour to a Storm, and I love it. Yeah, it only has 128 mb of app space but I'm not a heavy app person. I love the touchscreen (typing on it is a very pleasant surprise). I love the email (of course, it's RIM). I love the camera. I love the web browsing. And it's not laggy at all.

The Storm is a great phone.
    09-01-10 04:53 PM
    App memory sux but like someone said just unload the junk apps to make space. BB web browser sux even worse then the low memory lol. Opera mini on my Storm1 rocks. My personal work web page takes about 15-20 seconds to load with the BB browser and about 3-5 seconds on Opera.

Cant wait for STORM3 !

Yep, I am with these folks. Almost everyone has mentioned low app memory here.

Web pages just load slow. I tested the Droid X, but it does not load web pages much faster than the S1, even though someone commented that the Droid X could load a page faster without a signal, than the S1 does with a signal. HA, HA!
    09-01-10 07:17 PM
    I think people had a negative view of the phone simply because the os was incredibly buggy. Yes, I had my storm 9530 during those "rough" times. The screen wouldn't work, scrolling wouldn't work, phone would completely freeze up. I patiently, like other storm enthusiasts, waited and waited until we would receive a good os update. After .419 hit the storm, it was amazing! The new os update (797) makes the storm an even better phone.
    09-02-10 01:49 PM
    I think people had a negative view of the phone simply because the os was incredibly buggy. Yes, I had my storm 9530 during those "rough" times. The screen wouldn't work, scrolling wouldn't work, phone would completely freeze up. I patiently, like other storm enthusiasts, waited and waited until we would receive a good os update. After .419 hit the storm, it was amazing! The new os update (797) makes the storm an even better phone.
    +1 419 made Storm a solid device. Sold it just before 797 was released.
    09-02-10 01:53 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD