if this is official will this be OTA on the phone under the advanced options wireless update menu? thatd be sick
    We don't know for sure, but we believe so.
    03-23-09 08:49 PM
    I am glad more people will be seeing evidence that they are still working on an OS.

True, they're takeing thier sweet time.... but I was thinking earlier today- with so many different responses on different bb storms with the very same OS's, maybe they have been working and working on 1 common OS that all storms will accept well.

In my minds eye I see a work bench with a couple of dozen storms... each one gets loaded with a new beta.... "whats this one doing now?".... okay, what about storm 2?...... storm 18?...... drats, storm 22 is flashing purple while storm 39 is playing Elvis songs.

NEXT OS PLEASE!"
    I don't think it's technically possible for an OS to work differently on different Storms, given a fresh default software load. Imagine 2 identical Dell Mini 9 netbooks with the same BIOS revision, and the same version of Ubuntu. Both are going to perform within the margin of error on a given benchmark, since they are all based on Intel Atom CPUs and Intel 945 chipsets.

Now imagine 2 Blackberry Storms. Both are going to have identical Qualcomm MSM7600 chipsets. Unless RIM is using some memory chips with radically different specs between production runs, running the SAME OS on 2 phones should perform IDENTICALLY (again, within margin of error). If some use faster RAM, then a performace difference would be normal; but not as big a difference as people seem to be experiencing.

IMHO, the vast difference in performance is related to the user. Not as in user error, but as in how many apps they have installed; the size of their wallpaper image; the size of their theme; how many messages in the messages folder; how many contacts they have....... The list goes on. Much like a Windows PC, the more bloated the applications load is, the slower the hardware. Simply because more memory is in use. I think the JVM also uses a swapfile to help when memory gets low; and any time memory is swapped to disk (flash, harddisk, etc) performance is slowed to a crawl. To be completely honest, the Storm would really benefit from more System RAM. Unless the memory management routines in 4.x just royally suck for the Storm's architecture. Somewhat akin to Windows Mobile 5 and 6 performing lousy on Windows Mobile 2003 devices due to memory layout being different.
    03-23-09 08:50 PM
    This has ALWAYS been an option. It's not the actual language that will be installed, but additional language input options that allow for the UK version of spellings (ie: colour v. color, honour, v. honor) etc.
    QFT, English UK has been installed with EVERY OS i've tried to date, including the original .75 - I believe it's so UK spellings aren't detected as MISSPELLINGS
    03-23-09 08:52 PM
    This is the first time I have used the new text selection method, and I must say that the guy in the .112 video must have been slow because it is so easy an infant can do it. Maybe it was just bad in .112. The new text selection is awesome.
    Depending on the App you're using..... It sucks trying to use in in a text entry field in the browser... You can get it to come up if you try hard enough, but it doesn't select anything....
    03-23-09 08:53 PM
    I don't think it's technically possible for an OS to work differently on different Storms, given a fresh default software load. Imagine 2 identical Dell Mini 9 netbooks with the same BIOS revision, and the same version of Ubuntu. Both are going to perform within the margin of error on a given benchmark, since they are all based on Intel Atom CPUs and Intel 945 chipsets.

Now imagine 2 Blackberry Storms. Both are going to have identical Qualcomm MSM7600 chipsets. Unless RIM is using some memory chips with radically different specs between production runs, running the SAME OS on 2 phones should perform IDENTICALLY (again, within margin of error). If some use faster RAM, then a performace difference would be normal; but not as big a difference as people seem to be experiencing.

IMHO, the vast difference in performance is related to the user. Not as in user error, but as in how many apps they have installed; the size of their wallpaper image; the size of their theme; how many messages in the messages folder; how many contacts they have....... The list goes on. Much like a Windows PC, the more bloated the applications load is, the slower the hardware. Simply because more memory is in use. I think the JVM also uses a swapfile to help when memory gets low; and any time memory is swapped to disk (flash, harddisk, etc) performance is slowed to a crawl. To be completely honest, the Storm would really benefit from more System RAM. Unless the memory management routines in 4.x just royally suck for the Storm's architecture. Somewhat akin to Windows Mobile 5 and 6 performing lousy on Windows Mobile 2003 devices due to memory layout being different.
    I dunno... it seems the newer devices had a lot less problems than the release ones did right out of the box. Ive never had many of the problems others have complained about.

I think a lot of it has to do with unrealistic expectations too, but thats just my opinion.
    03-23-09 08:54 PM
    Ok, so basically everyone here on Crackberry has been waiting for an updated OS today (myself included). Low and behold, .113 appears with the MMS bug and it's the Official OS of the Storm? Sure, some things are new and improved. Was the MMS bug more complicated than the memory leak issues? I don't put a lot of stock into VZWs processes, but I think they would have done better than this. Maybe the MMS bug will be fixed before it goes into DM and OTA??? It's just hard to take the bait and load another OS that is blazing fast for a day ot two and then rapidly degrades into a useless pile of code that locks the phone up and drains the battery. Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem to be 'it'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 08:54 PM
    Options -> Advanced options -> Applications -> BB 4.7 System Software

No I'm just kidding, DO NOT do that!! You need to do it with DM
    or JL Commander...... But DO NOT wipe your phone if you don't have some patience; sometimes getting the Installer to connect to a blank phone takes some time; it's a timing game.....
    03-23-09 08:55 PM
    Ok, so basically everyone here on Crackberry has been waiting for an updated OS today (myself included). Low and behold, .113 appears with the MMS bug and it's the Official OS of the Storm? Sure, some things are new and improved. Was the MMS bug more complicated than the memory leak issues? I don't put a lot of stock into VZWs processes, but I think they would have done better than this. Maybe the MMS bug will be fixed before it goes into DM and OTA??? It's just hard to take the bait and load another OS that is blazing fast for a day ot two and then rapidly degrades into a useless pile of code that locks the phone up and drains the battery. Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem to be 'it'.

wamp wamp wamp
    03-23-09 08:59 PM
    MMS forwarding of pictures not taken with the Storm's camera show up as grayed out or white boxes.

MMS is broken. I doubt this can be considered an Official Release then. Perhaps hope is still alive for something a bit better. This OS stomps all over .114 in every other way though. I'll give it that.
    I'm beginning to wonder if this wasn't a carrier requested feature.... WTF is he talking about?, you may ask..... Well, it would be REALLY easy for RIM to write the OS in such a way that Copyrighted photos couldn't be sent via MMS... and the easiest way to do that would be to restrict ALL photos not taken with the phone's cam. It COULD be some sort of "photo DRM". Maybe the MMS app looks for a flag that indicates the pic was taken with the Storm's cam (I think it's called EXIF data, but i'm no photographer so I could be wrong).... If said data is missing, the photo isn't sent and is instead replaced with a box of one color pixels. Is the MMS problem specific to VZW, the CDMA Storm, or what? Does the 9500 have the same problem running the .113 firmware?
    03-23-09 09:00 PM
    I just took the leap and have the highest app memory yet. Never been able to squeak above 40 and I finally hit 43.2. Hope it continues to go well. My dad just bought a storm today also! His last blackberry went through the washer.
    03-23-09 09:03 PM
    My Observations:
    1> Doida and Markus need to get a room!
    2> Browser is snappier - IMO!
    3> Typing doesn't seem to lag quite as much! Especially under WOT!
    4> Accelerometer is more responsive - not as much under steer!

Summary: Much snappier - that's all I can say as I haven't had it on that long! As Michael Stipe might say 'Work Delays my life - get up get up'!!! (or similar)!

All joking aside - thanks very much for this SJRosenthal - much appreciated!
    03-23-09 09:04 PM
    I dunno... it seems the newer devices had a lot less problems than the release ones did right out of the box. Ive never had many of the problems others have complained about.

I think a lot of it has to do with unrealistic expectations too, but thats just my opinion.
    It would be interesting to take an older Storm apart and compare the chipset with a new one..... See if the chipset is a different revision? Different RAM? Switch from MLC flash to SLC flash? (SLC is much faster)

My date code is 080109 (Jan 8, 2009 I believe) and with this .113 OS, it's literally as fast as my iPod Touch..... not as polished looking, but just as fast.... (to be fair, it was also like this with the bbcrackman hybrids - that's probably what this .113 is; RIM copied bbcrackman's work and added a new platform number *LOL*)
    03-23-09 09:04 PM
    If this is the "official" version, Verizon shouldn't be able to tell the difference if I take my phone in for service, right?

If I have a problem, I can d/l and revert to .75, right?
    03-23-09 09:05 PM

THAT is one of the most intelligent posts I've seen here in a long time. Thank you.
    03-23-09 09:05 PM

It would be interesting to take an older Storm apart and compare the chipset with a new one..... See if the chipset is a different revision? Different RAM? Switch from MLC flash to SLC flash? (SLC is much faster)

My date code is 080109 (Jan 8, 2009 I believe) and with this .113 OS, it's literally as fast as my iPod Touch..... not as polished looking, but just as fast.... (to be fair, it was also like this with the bbcrackman hybrids - that's probably what this .113 is; RIM copied bbcrackman's work and added a new platform number *LOL*)

As for unrealistic expectations, thats a big part of it, too.... Somehow people expect a device that currently has no OpenGL API to perform like one that does..... The Storm is capable, but i'm betting we might finally get OpenGL in OS 5.x
    03-23-09 09:06 PM
    How does this differ from the .113 that was leaked several weeks ago? This should resolve the question of whether official Verizon OS's are any different than leaks with the same number.
    Just a side note for people looking to upgrade. I just upgraded my phone from 4.7.0.103 using the first link and it bricked it, I am recovering it right now and am going to try a clean installation of the OS. Thank god for backups!

-Piroko
    I call BRAVO SIERRA
    03-23-09 09:07 PM
    I'm beginning to wonder if this wasn't a carrier requested feature.... WTF is he talking about?, you may ask..... Well, it would be REALLY easy for RIM to write the OS in such a way that Copyrighted photos couldn't be sent via MMS... and the easiest way to do that would be to restrict ALL photos not taken with the phone's cam. It COULD be some sort of "photo DRM". Maybe the MMS app looks for a flag that indicates the pic was taken with the Storm's cam (I think it's called EXIF data, but i'm no photographer so I could be wrong).... If said data is missing, the photo isn't sent and is instead replaced with a box of one color pixels. Is the MMS problem specific to VZW, the CDMA Storm, or what? Does the 9500 have the same problem running the .113 firmware?
    Makes sense...however VZW makes $$$ from txt/pix/flix packages. I'm just not sure that they would limit mms functionality this much. 0.02

03-23-09 09:08 PM
    as far as I know, via a reliable contact, this isnt vendor supported, i had the same released emailed to me earlier today and it was specified as "not being vendor supported" I had initially been told that this would be the official and it would drop this saturday, but alas, it appears that vzw will not support it.....
    03-23-09 09:08 PM
    113 is the number the verizon rep gave me. His release estimate was 3 weeks (April 10).

Since I don't really have anything wrong with .75, I'm waiting anxiously. Hearing some of the fixes, especially memory leaks and overall speed make me really excited.

Since I'm new to BB, do 3rd party apps need to be backed up when the official release is out? Is it typical to see 3rd party apps get updated when the new OS is released?
    nothing wrong with .75 so far? holy crap man... if you are still waiting with .75.. then an official official official release is gonna blow your friggen socks off
    03-23-09 09:09 PM
    How does this differ from the .113 that was leaked several weeks ago? This should resolve the question of whether official Verizon OS's are any different than leaks with the same number.
    I was running .114 and although the OS number is lower the platform number is higher.
    03-23-09 09:10 PM
    Been Using .113 And Have Had No Issues. Memory Holding At 34. I Have Never Seen Anything Higher Than 40 On This Phone. I Have Like 13 Apps And It Runs Smooth. Camera Still The Same Has The 8 Second Lag Still. Over All Dont See Much Differance From 109.
    03-23-09 09:11 PM
    What? They don't. People just think that 113 will be the next official. This is just a leak of 113. They're always uploaded like this.
    I wish they'd put a "Unofficial 4.7.113 OS Leaked For Storm 9550" on the front page like they usually do when a new leak comes out.... I think it's pretty obvious after 30 something pages in this thread and countless other threads that it's real, it exists, and it works quite well. It's almost like the .114 hybrid but with a newer platform....
    03-23-09 09:12 PM
    THAT is one of the most intelligent posts I've seen here in a long time. Thank you.

I have been saying that all along as well, regarding the part about the user. Half empty/half full and so forth...

03-23-09 09:13 PM
1,109 ... 1920212223 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD