On the home page their is talk about the new 6.0 OS, which is great but do you think the Storm 1 will be able to handle the power? Most Storm 1 people will ready for a upgrade at that time but if you want to keep your phone will the 6.0 OS crash it?
    03-17-10 09:19 AM
    It's rumors. Until we see what 6.0 actually entails, we can't say. If it's anything like the difference between 4.7 and 5.0, it can handle it, that change wasn't that durastic. If the Storm2 can handle it, the Storm1 can. Hardware-wise (excluding the screen, obviously), they're not really a different phone.
    03-17-10 09:33 AM
    It's rumors. Until we see what 6.0 actually entails, we can't say. If it's anything like the difference between 4.7 and 5.0, it can handle it, that change wasn't that durastic. If the Storm2 can handle it, the Storm1 can. Hardware-wise (excluding the screen, obviously), they're not really a different phone.
    umm 128 MBs mem....remember the s1 boots quite low already with OS 5. Assuming OS 6 gets another bump up in memory it will eat even more up into the few MBs left. I just dont think that its going to be made with the storm 1 in mind. its focus is 256 MB devices and up
    03-17-10 10:25 AM
    umm 128 MBs mem....remember the s1 boots quite low already with OS 5. Assuming OS 6 gets another bump up in memory it will eat even more up into the few MBs left. I just dont think that its going to be made with the storm 1 in mind. its focus is 256 MB devices and up
    How do you know what its focus is? If the phone is still being sold(and it is) then it will still be catered for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 10:46 AM
    Totally my opinion, but no, the 9500/9530 will not be getting OS 6.

I'd go as far as to say the only current BB's that will get OS 6 are the 9550/9520 and the 9700.
    03-17-10 11:12 AM
    How do you know what its focus is? If the phone is still being sold(and it is) then it will still be catered for.

umm the phone is not still being sold lol....whatever small stock stores have left is it. Its EOL (end of life) per RIM/VZW
    03-17-10 11:19 AM
    umm the phone is not still being sold lol....whatever small stock stores have left is it. Its EOL (end of life) per RIM/VZW
    Er, in the States. In Canada, Bell and Telus both still actively sell them.

I see what you mean about the memory though.

Kyle, Just because phone's are still being sold though doesn't mean they'll still be catered. The 83XX series is a good example. Out of 3 phones, 1 got 5.0, and just barely due to memory. The 8330 is still sold and definitely will not get 6.0.

The Storm 1 ran 5.0 with Shrink-A-OS really well, (40mb+ before third party apps) and I think it might just clear the bar for 6, just like the 8330 just barely run 5.0.

It's annoying, and in the end probably not worth it, but people will hold onto it.

Oh and Ricky, you forgot the 85XX series. It would easily be able to handle the same things as the 9700.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 03-17-10 at 01:16 PM.
    03-17-10 01:13 PM
    i was about to reply back saying that it could handle it, but you bring up a good point.
    03-17-10 01:45 PM
    telus doesnt look to sell the storm 1 on their site, bell does still have it on theirs though. Point is the storm 1 is had its run, they are still working on OS 5 for it as far as i know but i assume that will stop very soon like 4.7 did. Then probably are close if not over 600 in the build number for OS 5 and so there are plenty of builds for all the carriers to test and pass for the device.

You can argue all you want but the future is 512 MB and then 1 GB and so on. RIM would be stupid to cater to something that only has 128MB. Sorry to be blunt but it aint worth the money. In 1 year 256 MB devices are going to be left behind. That is the way the phone industry is now.
    Last edited by howarmat; 03-17-10 at 02:26 PM.
    03-17-10 02:04 PM
    Huh, I see what you mean. It was up last week, right next to the 9550. My friend was looking at one.

I totally agree with you about the memory thing, though. It's just like computers. The computers that have more memory get supported, and eventually their time comes and they get left behind on an OS, making way for the newer computers.
    03-17-10 02:07 PM
    All true about mem and the future and all that. However kevin did say on the Podcast that he knew people running 6 on a bold 9000. So I think there may be builds out there of 6 for the 9530, but honestly who would be testing it, for it to leak? I just hope we see a high .5xx build from someone. Or at least anything better than .419 regardless of #'s.

03-17-10 04:27 PM
    Interesting thread...the Storm one has Application memory, device memory which is always 864.5MB free and the media card, could they not leverage the device memory for OS 6.0?
    Its just sitting there doing absolutely nothing.
    03-17-10 04:37 PM
    I wouldn't expect that. RIM doesn't seem to be comfortable with the security of that. Now if this ia the big wow that folks seem to hint at for WES then the S1 has a whole new lease on life. But I seriously doubt we'll ever see that.

03-17-10 04:40 PM
    Maybe you should stop guessing about everything. They still sell them not only in Canada, also the UK, Germany and Hong Kong. How do I know? I actually looked into it.

03-17-10 07:12 PM
    Maybe you should stop guessing about everything. They still sell them not only in Canada, also the UK, Germany and Hong Kong. How do I know? I actually looked into it.

i could care less where they still sell it. I am smart enough to realize it doesnt matter... maybe someday you will be.

**** vodafone dropped the Storm 2 from their lineup even i think already. if you think catering to a 2 year old device gets RIM money..heck no!
    03-17-10 08:40 PM
    i could care less where they still sell it. I am smart enough to realize it doesnt matter... maybe someday you will be.

**** vodafone dropped the Storm 2 from their lineup even i think already. if you think catering to a 2 year old device gets RIM money..heck no!
    AGAIN WITH THE GUESSING MORON! Vodafone have NOT dropped the Storm 2. You're smart enough to use a forum so why not take a few minutes and confirm what you're talking about lol the Storm is still being used by more people than tne storm 2, that's a fact you can think about love.

03-18-10 06:56 AM
    On the home page their is talk about the new 6.0 OS, which is great but do you think the Storm 1 will be able to handle the power? Most Storm 1 people will ready for a upgrade at that time but if you want to keep your phone will the 6.0 OS crash it?
    I'm going to assume it won't, but to suffice I'm sure hybrids will be released with 6.0 capabilities that will function on the Storm 1 ok.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 03-18-10 at 07:29 AM. Reason: changed will to won't oops my mistake
    03-18-10 07:27 AM
    AGAIN WITH THE GUESSING MORON! Vodafone have NOT dropped the Storm 2. You're smart enough to use a forum so why not take a few minutes and confirm what you're talking about lol the Storm is still being used by more people than tne storm 2, that's a fact you can think about love.

Dude, is this your first berry? Just like how 4.7 and 5.0 weren't developed for the 8830 because it only had 64 megs of memory, 6.0 won't be on any berrys with less than 256 megs of memory. This isn't rocket science man. I think Matt was right when he inferred that you aren't all there...
    03-18-10 09:31 AM
    Dude, is this your first berry? Just like how 4.7 and 5.0 weren't developed for the 8830 because it only had 64 megs of memory, 6.0 won't be on any berrys with less than 256 megs of memory. This isn't rocket science man. I think Matt was right when he inferred that you aren't all there...
    Grow up will you. You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about. FYI I'm on my 8th BlackBerry and second iPhone!

03-18-10 12:48 PM

you are right, since the storm 1 was sold on several more companies and it has been around for 16 months compared to the storm 2s 5ish months it only makes sense it has sold more units. were you actually serious about that point
    03-18-10 01:00 PM
    you are right, since the storm 1 was sold on several more companies and it has been around for 16 months compared to the storm 2s 5ish months it only makes sense it has sold more units. were you actually serious about that point
    Yer I'm just saying talk about things you actually know about. Rather than just guessing and saying things for the sake of it.

03-18-10 01:17 PM
    lol the Storm is still being used by more people than tne storm 2, that's a fact you can think about love.
    I can't believe you even typed that.

Stupid arguments aside, it depends on what direction RIM takes with the core of 6.0. If it makes the jump people are thinking (hoping... no, praying) it will, most older devices will likely be left out in the cold. The Bold might get supported because of how many people use it still, not sure about the Storm. Still, Mat's assumptions are more than spot on, there's only so much available memory on the Storm to begin with...

Either way, I think it's hilarious how "blackberry storm discontinued" still pulls back tons of hits of people who fell for the April Fools joke the admins here pulled.
    03-18-10 01:29 PM
    I can't believe you even typed that.

Stupid arguments aside, it depends on what direction RIM takes with the core of 6.0. If it makes the jump people are thinking (hoping... no, praying) it will, most older devices will likely be left out in the cold. The Bold might get supported because of how many people use it still, not sure about the Storm. Still, Mat's assumptions are more than spot on, there's only so much available memory on the Storm to begin with...

Either way, I think it's hilarious how "blackberry storm discontinued" still pulls back tons of hits of people who fell for the April Fools joke the admins here pulled.
    What I'm saying is that's AN ACTUAL FACT. I'm proving a point here.

03-18-10 06:20 PM
    what is your point? that you are a fool who cant see the obvious?
    03-18-10 07:01 PM
    Kyle if your trying to prove a point thats fine, but right now it seems your just trying to be arguementative. We get it, the storm sold more units and you can still buy them, ok, fine, your right.
    Now on to something that will benefit the thread.

As far as the 6.0 os the other reason I asked this question was because of the speculated "storm 3" coming out. It is speculated to have hardware like no other blackberry like the LCD screen, 5.0 camera, better and faster processor, so will it be accompanied by software unlike any other blackberry. Could it be possible that RIM puts a brand new 6.0 os with the storm 3 and other new devices, but older devices don't get the upgrade?
    It could create a sort of pull and new kinda excitment to get a newer phone.
    What do you think?
    03-19-10 09:08 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD