First blackberry device so there are some things to get used to.
    One issue I have is that if the phone is left on my desk and I hit the power button in the upper left, it seems to come on and then quickly go off. If I hit the button again, no problem.
    Doesn't seem to happen all the time but that doesn't seem to be the norm.

Also, is there a way to calibrate the touch screen? Some screens have a set of points that you hit to calibrate it to how you touch.
    05-13-10 03:05 PM
    Dumb phones have calibration phones, not this one.

What do you mean by the phone going on and off?
    05-13-10 03:07 PM
    Pressing "power button" actually just locks the screen, so the behavior you describe could be normal. Holding that button down for 5 seconds initiates STANDBY mode, as close as you can get to "turning it off" with the battery still in it.
    05-13-10 03:22 PM
    Pressing "power button" actually just locks the screen, so the behavior you describe could be normal. Holding that button down for 5 seconds initiates STANDBY mode, as close as you can get to "turning it off" with the battery still in it.

Oh oh, that's what he meant by that. Duh!
    05-13-10 03:29 PM
    What I mean is if the phone is left to go to sleep on its own, left on the desk for example...when I pick it up and hit the power button quickly, the screen comes on, then fades out. If I hit the power button again it comes on, looks like the home screen fades away to reveal the same home screen behind it and it works fine.
    05-13-10 03:41 PM
    That's because the phone isn't "going to sleep". It is just shutting off the screen. So when you hit the "power" button it is just locking the screen. Which is why it's lighting up and then fading out. Pressing it again unlocks the screen and lights it up again. Next time your screen dims on it's own while sitting on your desk just try picking it up and clicking the middle of the screen or the menu button. You'll see that it isn't asleep. It just shut the screen off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 03:54 PM
    What I mean is if the phone is left to go to sleep on its own, left on the desk for example...when I pick it up and hit the power button quickly, the screen comes on, then fades out. If I hit the power button again it comes on, looks like the home screen fades away to reveal the same home screen behind it and it works fine.
    Ah...Ok, this is still normal.

When left unattended, the phone won't "go to sleep", the screen will simply fade out but all processes will continue to run normally. All you need to do is click anywhere on the screen to bring it back up.

pressing the power button on the top left will (as I mentioned earlier) "lock" the screen, so that you can't click it. Keep in mind, the phone will still be fully powered on, but the screen will be disabled. Re-pressing this button will un-lock it and allow you to go about your business again.

So...here's what's happening to you:

The screen fades out (but doesn't lock). You then press the button, and it does lock...and then un-locks when you press it the second time. In other words, all you really need to do is just click somewhere on the screen to bring it back to life in this situation.
    05-13-10 03:55 PM
    Congrats on your Storm 2 purchase. As has been described, when sitting idle, your screen shuts off to save on battery power, but the phone is still live. The first time you click on a button (any button), you're activating the screen, but in your case, since you're hitting the Lock button (which is also the "Power Off" button) the screen briefly comes alive but then goes into Lock mode which shuts the screen off again (but the phone is still "Live"). So, just wake the screen up by click on it first, THEN holding the "Power Off" button to shut it down. Keep in mind that the phone really never "shuts off" when you hit the "Power Off" button (weird, I know, they really need to change that description) but instead, goes in to hibernate mode, where the phone and message radio is off, but the phone is still alive, just slumbering. This is standard BB operation. This was just brought up in another thread, where the OP was wondering how to completely shut the phone off....the only way to do that is pull the battery.

As for calibrating the screen, the answer is "no" there's no need to. You can adjust sensitivity settings though, by going to: BB/OPTIONS/SCREEN KEYBOARD. Enjoy your Storm 2 !
    05-13-10 04:09 PM
    I think on most smartphones the screen will go black to save power. I think the difference is on the droid phone where you actually have to hit a button on the top of the phone to turn the screen back on.
    05-13-10 05:07 PM
    That would be due to the Storm's "SurePress" technology (which I love) that requires a mechanical action to wake it back up.

I think on most smartphones the screen will go black to save power. I think the difference is on the droid phone where you actually have to hit a button on the top of the phone to turn the screen back on.
    05-13-10 06:10 PM
    That makes sense.
    Fantastic.
    One issue cleared up.
    Now I have a new one.
    I have an icon under the time/date that has the number 1 and a small blue box which looks like the blackberry button. Blue with 4 small white squares in it. Can't find anywhere to clear it. Have BBM but that is a different symbol, as is email and SMS.
    05-13-10 06:11 PM
    Sounds like you have a BBM message (1). Click, and hold down, your BB button until the open apps show up and click on your BB Messenger button and see what's there.
    05-13-10 06:30 PM
    Isn't that. That icon is a different one.
    05-13-10 06:38 PM
    Hmmm....what theme are you using, Stock or did you install one? If installed, does it have a dedicated weather slot? It's been so long since I've looked at the stock theme I forget what it looks like, lol. It sounds like it's a message indicator of some sort, if not BBM, then perhaps AIM or Yahoo or something else (I don't use anything but BBM and sometimes, SMS, so I'm not familar with all the icons), but it seems like it's a message sitting for you somewhere.

Isn't that. That icon is a different one.
    05-13-10 06:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD