Ok first off, yes i think it is horrible to start working on a new device mearly 7 months after releasing the first one. It does make everyone think that RIM is giving up on us Storm 1 owners. So, yes I can understand everyone being upset. But lets also look at the fact that there are still OS leaks out there for us and that we know that the 5.0 is also in the works. So lighten up.
    I was one who jumped at the chance to buy a Storm, and have been through 3 since release. 2 for dust and 1 for a "click" problem. And I am also upset to see that RIM is doing away with surepress, even though I see why. No surepress, no dust or click issues. Of course, on a side note, everytime I call Verizon tech lines they all tell me, "Wow I never heard of anyone having that problem." Come on,..... Liars. LOL Just a joke, no offense to any Verizon reps out there.
    But seriously, I say let them work at the 2, and as long as we keep getting some attention, there is no need to worry. Now when we get forgotten all together, follow me and we will get the pitchforks and flaming torches and march on RIM!! LOL, just a joke. No need to send Lawyers and Police my way.
    And as far as the "FREE UPGRADE" to the Storm 2 for us, we all know that will never happen. I will stay with my storm. Unless Verizon comes out with a model like the Gemini. Love the optical mouse!!!
    05-16-09 12:05 AM
    It's nice to see a realistic attitude toward the "free upgrade". Anyone who believes they deserve that is just flat out insane.

And, to speak to your point about the timeline: They have a prototype out now of Storm 2, so they started working on it LONG before 7 months of releasing the first piece of garbage.
    05-16-09 12:09 AM
    Whether you consider the current Storm garbage or not, I would love to see what RIM has to offer with the Storm "2". Maybe Vodafone UK will also offer handset upgrades (pay 2-300GBP) for those in the middle of a contract like O2 UK did with the iPhone 3G. Now that would be be very possible. The chances of a "free upgrade" are just about nil.
    05-16-09 04:16 AM
    Ok first off, yes i think it is horrible to start working on a new device mearly 7 months after releasing the first one. It does make everyone think that RIM is giving up on us Storm 1 owners.
    Why is it horrible that they are working in a new device after only 7 months? How long do you think that it takes to bring a phone from from the drawing board to market? How long should RIM wait?
    05-16-09 04:36 AM
    What I am saying is that it is almost as if RIM is admitting that they knew the Storm was garbage. For the fact that they are doing away with surepress. It like an "oops" statement. If they knew it was so bad then why even release it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 06:29 AM
    Great question. There's been probably a million answers just on this website alone from people speculating why it was released. I think it boils down to being pressured. From Verizon, and from consumers, and maybe some self imposed pressure thinking they needed to compete!
    05-16-09 06:35 AM
    It's nice to see a realistic attitude toward the "free upgrade". Anyone who believes they deserve that is just flat out insane.

And, to speak to your point about the timeline: They have a prototype out now of Storm 2, so they started working on it LONG before 7 months of releasing the first piece of garbage.
    Sullie, for some reason, people seem to think that the next new model is made AFTER their model has been realized when most times, the next new is already being worked on.
    05-16-09 06:35 AM
    What I am saying is that it is almost as if RIM is admitting that they knew the Storm was garbage. For the fact that they are doing away with surepress. It like an "oops" statement. If they knew it was so bad then why even release it.

Based on what you're saying, RIM shouldn't continue to improve and any changes made to a new model means the previous model was junk.

Just because they do something different in no way means they're saying "oops!"
    05-16-09 06:37 AM
    Agreed.just commenting on the abrupt end to surepress. Makes this a 1 model 1 time thing. Kinda like a 1 hit wonder. Lol.

05-16-09 07:05 AM
    I wouldn't go asking for a free upgrade, but I think it'd be nice if they let us just pay the upgrade price for the storm2 ($199 or whatever they decide) and have us re-up our contracts, for those who want a new phone. I think that'd be a fair trade considering the circumstances for most users who prefer only using supported OS releases.
    05-16-09 07:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD