I've been on this site since 2008 and never posted in a thread. Certified lurker.

Anyway, I just upgraded to a Storm 2 from an 8330.

Love the phone, no complaints except...

my battery door is impossible to remove. I keep having to use stuff to open it. Last night it was a broken iPhone case, today it was a plastic knife.

Is there a trick to it that I'm not getting? Maybe somewhere I'm supposed to be squeezing or something?

At the store the guy set everything up for me so I didn't see him remove it, but I can't imagine it's really this hard. I'm concerned I might break it with all the force I have to use.

(Yes, I have searched the forums and no I have not seen any threads about this. If you know of one, feel free to link it.)

Thanks!
    04-16-10 01:43 PM
    mine is tight, but I use my thumb nail to remove it. i personally prefer the tight over not so tight givent the choice.

No secret. It WILL loosen up with time and repeated removal. mine has already.
    04-16-10 01:50 PM
    Ok, not calling you stupid or anything (heck, I've done stupid stuff), but you ARE using the slightly notched/depressed end of the cover, aren't you? LOL...'cuz if you're not, that explains the problem. The door does need to be tight, to keep pressure on the battery, otherwise the battery will occasionally break contact with the phone and you'll be getting constant reboots. That being said, it should not require a tool to get it open, just slip the edge of a finger or fingernail under the depression right underneath the Verizon logo.
    04-16-10 01:56 PM
    Yeah its tight. I have to use a credit card to remove it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-10 02:09 PM
    I wish mine was that tight...mine is so loose that if I accidentally drop it on the ground the cover and battery pops out. I envy my friends droid because of that. The battery door cover on that thing is sturdy as ****. Not all wedged in all flimsy like my s2

04-16-10 02:16 PM
    Wow...not heard of anyone having such problems with it being on that tight. Mine is tight, but reasonably so. A little pressure is required to re-secure it, just right. Sure would be nice if we had consistency!
    04-16-10 02:25 PM
    Ok, not calling you stupid or anything (heck, I've done stupid stuff), but you ARE using the slightly notched/depressed end of the cover, aren't you? LOL...'cuz if you're not, that explains the problem. The door does need to be tight, to keep pressure on the battery, otherwise the battery will occasionally break contact with the phone and you'll be getting constant reboots. That being said, it should not require a tool to get it open, just slip the edge of a finger or fingernail under the depression right underneath the Verizon logo.
    ROFL!

Yes, I am. It doesn't come off with my thumb nail. I had someone else try too and she couldn't get it either.

I just don't wanna break it from having to force so hard.

But if it will loosen with time that's great.
    04-16-10 02:30 PM
    i personally prefer the tight over not so tight givent the choice.
    me too

Mine is very tight (have to use something to remove it as well...partly because of my lack of finger nails). BUT it's partly my doing. The door was less than flush when i got the unit, so I followed someone's tip to bending the tabs on it every so slightly to help snug it up. I imagine if you felt like it, you can bend them opposite to losen it a bit.
    04-16-10 02:30 PM
    <grin> Thanks for taking that in stride. It's like the old days with computer tech support where the tech rep had to ask "your computer is plugged in, isn't it?" One simply never knows! I've made some pretty embarrassing mistakes of my own, so hey, worth asking. I had just never heard of doors being this tight before. I'd take it back to the store and simply say "can you show me how you remove the battery?" and then watch them try and open the door...after that, you've made your point and they can try and different door if the problem is on the door side and if not, it's on the device side and .... well, you know what that means!

ROFL!

Yes, I am. It doesn't come off with my thumb nail. I had someone else try too and she couldn't get it either.

I just don't wanna break it from having to force so hard.

But if it will loosen with time that's great.
    04-16-10 02:33 PM
    I wish mine was that tight...mine is so loose that if I accidentally drop it on the ground the cover and battery pops out. I envy my friends droid because of that. The battery door cover on that thing is sturdy as ****. Not all wedged in all flimsy like my s2

Can you still take it back and see if they can replace the door or something?

That's not normal.
    04-16-10 02:37 PM
    Yeah its tight. I have to use a credit card to remove it.

That's reasonable.

I don't want to be carrying a plastic knife with me all the time.

Haha!
    04-16-10 02:39 PM
    me too

Mine is very tight (have to use something to remove it as well...partly because of my lack of finger nails). BUT it's partly my doing. The door was less than flush when i got the unit, so I followed someone's tip to bending the tabs on it every so slightly to help snug it up. I imagine if you felt like it, you can bend them opposite to losen it a bit.
    Which way did you have to bend the tabs to make the door fit tighter?

04-16-10 06:21 PM
    ...That being said, it should not require a tool to get it open, just slip the edge of a finger or fingernail under the depression right underneath the Verizon logo.
    My finger nail is not that strong.. and it HURTS my finger to try and use my nail..

Yes, mine is that tight!! However the "other end" wiggles.. its loose... not enough to come off or anything, just enough to move when holding the phone...
    04-16-10 11:21 PM
    Yes, it is very tight and causes a lot of pain (and broken fingernails) to open. Fortunitely I almost never have to remove it.

04-17-10 09:33 AM
    When I moved from S1 TO S2 there was a slight improvement in the battery door in that there is an indent. But I have a permanently frayed thumbnail because it is nearly impossible to remove. So I actually started keeping a paperclip inside my case. I am eagerly waiting for Quick Pull to catch up with the new OS as that is the solution for me.

Personally I think those metal tabls at the top of the door are a problem and that they slowly bend over time. Not good considering the device needs frequent battery pulls. I, too had the problem with my battery shifting, leading to inconvenient reboots several times a day (even from driving on dirt road). The answer for me was to tape a strip of my business card inside the door over the battery. Solved. About a month later I guess tabs bent ever so slightly so I added another layer of card. Solved & Quick Pull worked with OS by then. No problem for 3 or 4 months. Now Quick Pull doesn't work and occassional reboots, so might be gearing up to adjusting the tabs or another layer of my (high tech) business card solution. Actually I saw posts from people having success with foam tape. Thank goodness for Crackberry because I was about to throw my S2 off a cliff!
    04-17-10 10:00 AM
    Your device "needs frequent battery pulls" ?? Wow...I NEVER have to do a battery pull in my S2. I have gone over 15 days with no pull. The only time I do a pull is when installing or uninstalling, an app, so I'm confused as to why you do.

BTW, MeterBerry does do a soft pull with the S2, both with .320 and .607.

The newer S2s (not sure about older ones...I never checked this on my original, purchased last November) has two pieces of foam tape on the back cover, one over the battery and the other over where the Micro SD card sits, and it holds everything in place. Personally, I'd suggest taking the phone into the store and showing them a problem and let them issue you a new back cover.

When I moved from S1 TO S2 there was a slight improvement in the battery door in that there is an indent. But I have a permanently frayed thumbnail because it is nearly impossible to remove. So I actually started keeping a paperclip inside my case. I am eagerly waiting for Quick Pull to catch up with the new OS as that is the solution for me.

Personally I think those metal tabls at the top of the door are a problem and that they slowly bend over time. Not good considering the device needs frequent battery pulls. I, too had the problem with my battery shifting, leading to inconvenient reboots several times a day (even from driving on dirt road). The answer for me was to tape a strip of my business card inside the door over the battery. Solved. About a month later I guess tabs bent ever so slightly so I added another layer of card. Solved & Quick Pull worked with OS by then. No problem for 3 or 4 months. Now Quick Pull doesn't work and occassional reboots, so might be gearing up to adjusting the tabs or another layer of my (high tech) business card solution. Actually I saw posts from people having success with foam tape. Thank goodness for Crackberry because I was about to throw my S2 off a cliff!
    04-17-10 01:20 PM
    [QUOTE=contento;4998416] me too

LMAO. I had another comment, but I kept it clean.
    04-17-10 01:33 PM
    quickpull works fine for me
    04-18-10 09:28 PM
    Had to reply to this old thread because I just got a S2 and used my thumbnail to pull up and apparently ripped the nail from the skin because there is blood way up under my nail. I love my Pearl and S1 but this S2 battery door is a terrible design. Definitely not an improvement.

I have Quick Pull but there were several times with the S1 where the phone would not function correctly and I HAD to pull the battery or the camera wouldn't turn off, or I couldn't make a call, etc. I sure hope the S2 doesn't have the same issues because I don't like needless pain. Some pain is necessary; like when you are married. But pain from opening the back of your phone should not be necessary!
    05-17-10 08:51 PM
    Had to reply to this old thread because I just got a S2 and used my thumbnail to pull up and apparently ripped the nail from the skin because there is blood way up under my nail. I love my Pearl and S1 but this S2 battery door is a terrible design. Definitely not an improvement.

I have Quick Pull but there were several times with the S1 where the phone would not function correctly and I HAD to pull the battery or the camera wouldn't turn off, or I couldn't make a call, etc. I sure hope the S2 doesn't have the same issues because I don't like needless pain. Some pain is necessary; like when you are married. But pain from opening the back of your phone should not be necessary!
    I had the same thing happen. I have found that my insurance card slides perfectly into the slot, so if I need to remove the door I use that.

The design is horrible. The funny thing is that I googled for tips to open the door and several reviews I found stated that it was easier to remove than the Storm 1. I disagree and my thumb will back me up on that.

05-18-10 07:26 PM
    Hey atypical,

I dont post much either lol anyways, there are 2 types of battery door for the storm 2. I wonder if some how you got the wrong door on? check these 2 from CNN.CN, there are pics of the notches.

9520/9550 - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories - 3G, Sony, Panasonic, LG,
    05-19-10 01:39 AM
    Mine is very tight. Sometimes I feel like it's going to rip the nail right out! Lol. don't worry about it. It's the design.
    05-19-10 01:50 AM
    I've never been able to get mine off with out using something to pry it open.

Fortunately, I use QuickLaunch to do resets when needed.

Only have to actually remove the battery 3 or 4 times since I've own it when it locked up and couldn't get to QuickLaunch.

Good Luck.
    05-19-10 12:26 PM
    Sometimes I think society has become so full of pansies that they look for anything to complain about... Lmao

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-19-10 12:56 PM
    Sometimes I think society has become so full of pansies that they look for anything to complain about... Lmao

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Dude, complaining about ripped flesh does not make me a pansy LOL! I actually do have a high tolerence for pain. But under the fingernail is kinda sensitive. Regardless, my complaint was more about the battery door design than my physical pain. Thanks for the laugh!
    06-20-10 12:41 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD