Hi everyone, I moved to Bangkok from USA and brought my Storm with me. I had it unlocked, and it kind of works on the True network, but it's not great (lousy connection to EDGE much of the time).

Before I moved I had planned on upgrading to the Storm 2 in the USA, and I still want one. What are my options for getting a Storm 2 here in Bangkok that will work on this country's network? Which model of Storm 2 would I want? Has anyone done this in Thailand and can share your experience?

Thanks for any advice. Sincerely, Andy
    11-24-09 04:35 AM
    You lucky soul, just got back from there, how nice for you to of moved there....

Anyway not sure if i can help, but I was using my Storm over there with no problems on EDGE. Not sure how much it will cost for a Storm 2 as I don't think they've been released there yet.
    If you were to use a US phone and contract, wouldnt' the 3G connection costs for data be extremely high?
    11-24-09 05:38 AM
    Yes I'm lucky indeed!! I came here for the first time last February, and eventually moved here about 6 weeks ago. It's a beautiful country with quite a bit of opportunity.

I canceled my Verizon when I moved, had the Storm unlocked, and use it through True here. But since I have the USA version of the storm instead of the 9500, it doesn't access EDGE reliably, and it also has problems on the phone network here. So my thought is that if I can get the "9500" version of the Storm 2, whatever number that is, and have it unlocked, perhaps I'll have better overall luck with it than with my current storm. It's the unreliability of the phone portion of the Storm that gives me so many headaches, sometimes I have to dial a number 10 times before I can get through. I have the ability to have items purchased for me in various countries around here, so I was wondering where I can get the Storm 2 in the non-USA version. Make sense?

BTW, I'm blogging my Thailand adventure at www.andyinthailand.com if you're interested in looking. What brought you here?
    11-24-09 06:38 AM
    Vacation.. many times over, good to hear there's opportunities there, wish i had the option, always considered buying a condo... anyway that's another story.

Anyway the 9520 is the UK version of Storm 2. Other than ebay I'm not sure, I'm afraid. I'm sure someone on here will help, they're a resourceful bunch!
    There is one person who I know is in Thailand, and comments on the 9500 OS forum, the name is ... "Andiah" maybe they can help you. below is the link to his/her public profile

http://forums.crackberry.com/members/andiah/

If not I'll be heading back over there in the new year, and don't mind bringing one over for you... :-)
    11-24-09 09:00 AM
    I use storm 2 9550 from Verizon...but i got it here in Thailand..
    True isnt good with the signal...So i use Dtac instead..and it work great..
    now the price of 9550 here it about 15500 baht..
    04-19-10 05:50 AM
    Next week AIS (operater in Thailand) will launch Storm2 9520 which is GSM base version of Storm2 or you can find imported verizon storm2 here it will cost you around 15000 baht.

My advise go for other operator than True and you may happier.

Cheers,
    04-19-10 06:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD