Why would I care to read what you girls are posting about? All I see is whining and crying about something A)You can't fix B)Nobody cares to listen to including Verizon and RIM. Boo ******* hoo, get the sand out of your ginas and move on.
    Wow....... Why is it that whenever someone complains or argues about something, they have to be called a girl? I swear this site has some of the most sexist people in the world.
    05-20-09 09:39 AM
    Wow....... Why is it that whenever someone complains or argues about something, they have to be called a girl? I swear this site has some of the most sexist people in the world.
    Would not enough balls to be a man suffice?
    05-20-09 09:44 AM
    Why do you people keep comparing the Storm to a Dell PC? Because they're updated every 6 months...right, BUT THEY WORK ALMOST FLAWLESSLY OUT OF THE BOX, NOT THE CASE WITH THE STORM. If the Storm was so goddamn flawless why did you ever bother updating your OS? Dell wouldn't release a PC with incompatible software for the hardware (like the Storm), case in point are those little warnings you get when you're custom building one on their site. PC's dont require leaked OS's to perform the way they are supposed to, oh but our Storm does .
    I've never had a Dell, HP, Gateway, or Compaq work flawless out of the box. I also want to point out they did ship PC's with an incomplete OS for around 6 months (32-bit Vista on PC's with 64-bit processors). That OS upgrade isn't free either. Maybe your expectations for a phone are higher than what you expect from a PC? I've only had my storm about a month, upgrading from a 3-4 year old razr, and I've noticed quirks but no serious issues (still .75), and I've played with it ALOT. My only actual complaint is my own doing, I didn't research flash support more thoroughly. I asked about YouTube and was told it worked and therefore assumed flash would work. Hopefully SkyFire will work in compatibility mode. If not I have an Omnia coming in for my work phone.
    05-20-09 10:33 AM
    I've never had a Dell, HP, Gateway, or Compaq work flawless out of the box. I also want to point out they did ship PC's with an incomplete OS for around 6 months (32-bit Vista on PC's with 64-bit processors). That OS upgrade isn't free either.
    Interesting point. In terms of the PC's not being flawless for you, I can only speak from my personal experience and some others that I know have generally never had a PC issue out of the box. Most of my computers have met my general needs for computing straight out of the box, no software issues at all really, not to mention that they've always worked as advertised for me, so I purchased them knowing what they were capable of and they delivered.

I would argue that with respect to the Storm, people were somewhat misled in terms of speed/usability and reliability (more personal). I've had my phone shut off on me in the middle of calls more than once and one time has even gone as far as losing its registry with VZW(!!!). Also the hardware did not seem to be properly finished as there were backlight issues, clickscreen issues etc. I ignored most of the hardware issues because that's with respect to quality control and can be easily replaced with a new handset. However the software support is where I draw my argument. The phone has lackluster software that may be solved with a firmware upgrade, but nothing official has been released and it is a burden to have to upgrade leaks on a community website to have my phone function properly.

I just feel that not enough people hold VZW/RIM accountable and generally accept whatever they say, forgetting that it's your money that you give them not the other way around. If Verizon didn't have fantastic coverage I would leave them after this whole Storm debacle, in fact I still may depending on how they handle the Storm 2 situation.
    05-20-09 12:18 PM
    God I love this, seriously. To everyone who thinks that its because "technology is always evolving" and "you should have read the reviews and returned within 30 days" or my favorite "Verizon doesn't owe you anything," are you kidding me? Whose side are you on? AREN'T YOU ALL CONSUMERS/CUSTOMERS TOO!?!?

Why do you people keep comparing the Storm to a Dell PC? Because they're updated every 6 months...right, BUT THEY WORK ALMOST FLAWLESSLY OUT OF THE BOX, NOT THE CASE WITH THE STORM. If the Storm was so goddamn flawless why did you ever bother updating your OS? Dell wouldn't release a PC with incompatible software for the hardware (like the Storm), case in point are those little warnings you get when you're custom building one on their site. PC's dont require leaked OS's to perform the way they are supposed to, oh but our Storm does .

Technology is always evolving? Really? Thanks for that wonderful piece of insight. Only problem is that there's never been a second generation phone released 6-8 months after the original (as goes the Storm 2 release rumor). I don't think people are complaining that a new phone is coming out as much as they don't like the lack of support from VZW on the current phone.

But the new OS is coming!!! Please pass me some of that Kool-Aid, purple please. How do you know the OS is coming? Did you develop the software yourself? You're just in the know huh? Just like every other person on this site. I'm so sick of people telling me what's coming, It's been six months, when is it coming? Be patient? I paid money for my phone, MY MONEY. I want my phone to run as smooth as the advertisement. I'll believe a new OS when I see it, in the meantime people are allowed to RANT AND RAVE in the RANT AND RAVE section of this site, dont lambast someone for voicing their opinion.

Answer me this though...When you bought your Storm, were you told that you would have to support this phone by yourself via leaked OS's that VZW/RIM would not support? Oh you weren't told that? Hmmm...Yet you happily go about updating an OS when it's not your job to do so according to the contract you signed. You excuse MAJOR CORPORATIONS like VZW and RIM from any responsibility, while taking on the task of fixing a phone when you really dont have the technical expertise or resources to support it...but THEY DO, and THEY DON'T. And you're seriously wondering why people are upset? Since when are you the almighty protectors of all things holy and VZW?

Lastly, A new version was bound to come out just accept it, RIM has to evolve in order for the Storm to be competitive. So you mean to tell me that RIM who released their phone 6 months after the iPhone (because the Storm is an answer to the iPhone, dont deny that), are about to release a second version of their phone while Apple has yet to do so? Apple releases a solid phone and waits a year to improve on an already solid phone, while RIM releases a mediocre phone and HAS TO release an update 6-8 months later because their phone can't handle the software its running. So they are planning to release a new phone and have to add this all amazing new technology...wifi (the only rumored spec bump of the Storm 2), to stay competitive? The software is essentially the same as the original Storm, nothing breaking, it just "allegedly" runs smoother. They boosted the hardware because the current hardware cant run on the Storm 1, face it, they're admitting a FAIL.

Meanwhile the iPhone and others are releasing new innovative features on their phones and guess what? They have virtually none of the issues we have. When's the last time you heard an iPhone owner talking about doing a battery pull? Or dust in their display? Or the screen not working right? Or the camera being too laggy? Or their phone auto-shutting off in the middle of a call? Or their memory leaking? Or their phone going painfully slow? The list goes on people. Stop drinking that corporate Kool-Aid, I know it's good, but you have to demand some responsibility on VZW/RIM's part.

On that note, I'll say this one more time. If I could afford to buy a new phone every 6 months I would, in the meantime I'm stuck with this unsupported piece of phone they call the Storm. I'm running .141, and I still have issues. Rant done, geesh, thank God for these forums...I've found myself needing this place lately, lol .
    Thanks for saying everything I want to say but can't because this crap makes me so pissed.

Oh, there's another leaked OS .148. Now that is some customer service from RIM/Verizon.
    05-20-09 01:08 PM
    Only problem is that there's never been a second generation phone released 6-8 months after the original (as goes the Storm 2 release rumor).
    I like how you whine about a rumor, then slate people for talking about a new OS coming (which is based on factual knowledge). Your logic sucks.
    05-20-09 01:37 PM
    Why does anyone owe you. If you went and bought a Chevy or Dodge and now that Dodges is done for and GM is closing it's doors across the country does the government owe you. I think Not! I bought my Storm a month ago and it does everything I ask of it. I did a one yera contract knowing that something new will come a long. I'll learn to use this and then pass it on to the wife when the time comes for her to get an upgrade.
    Last edited by jtalker1965; 05-20-09 at 01:50 PM.
    05-20-09 01:43 PM
    Grammar Police I completely agree with your points. The Storm was underdeveloped and does not perform at the level expected. If RIM were a stand-up corporation they would focus on making this right for customers instead of stringing us along with leaks that fix 2 problems and create 3 more.

What really turns my stomach is when people here say "oh you don't like your storm...then just get a niagara or a curve." I think when a person comes to his/her senses about the storm (IE that is an unsupported overpriced paperweight) the LAST thing they should do is support RIM. In my eyes the company has proven itself to be greedy and incompetent. Its CEOs statements support my argument.

The bottom line is that RIM is a company that does not care at all about its customers. As it continues its poor customer service and support fewer and fewer people will buy their products - especially with Apple having far superior products available at the same price.

Just think, Apple is actually ADDING features to a phone they made...RIM has yet to deliver on the features they promised.

So in summation, those who are unhappy with your Storm, PLEASE DO NOT BUY A CURVE OR NIAGARA. Give your money to a corporation that cares...and that's NOT RIM!
    05-20-09 03:00 PM
    Just think, Apple is actually ADDING features to a phone they made...RIM has yet to deliver on the features they promised.
    You mean the same features I enjoyed on my LG Voyager or the Samsung "Blade" or the Samsung Alias I had and things that BlackBerries did natively even before the iPhone came out?

And what features has RIM "yet to deliver"?
    05-20-09 03:22 PM
    You mean the same features I enjoyed on my LG Voyager or the Samsung "Blade" or the Samsung Alias I had and things that BlackBerries did natively even before the iPhone came out?

And what features has RIM "yet to deliver"?
    The iPhone may have been short some features like MMS, but Apple never ADVERTISED it as having them. RIM claims the phone records video..tell me how that works on the official OS, or even on most of the leaks - IT DOESN'T. The "media type unsupported" error comes up...or the phone freezes...or it resets itself. That's one example for you.
    05-20-09 03:33 PM
    The iPhone may have been short some features like MMS, but Apple never ADVERTISED it as having them. RIM claims the phone records video..tell me how that works on the official OS, or even on most of the leaks - IT DOESN'T. The "media type unsupported" error comes up...or the phone freezes...or it resets itself. That's one example for you.
    Umm...mine records videos just fine. I've got quite a few videos that I've recorded over the few months I've had my phone. Including one of a Storm Trooper march in the St. Patrick's Day parade over here!

I have heard of the problem you speak of, but just because your particular phone has this issue, does not mean that all of the have the same issues and RIM was being misleading. As far as I can tell, the vast majority of Storms follow mine and take pictures and videos with no issues. And send them out on MMSs (sorry, had to say it! ).

There are threads out there that can help you fix that! Searching for an answer is always better than sitting there mad that your phone has an issue and blaming RIM for it and telling others to boycott it.

True, that Apple never specifically said it can do MMS and the such. But I'm sure when all those millions of people who stood in line to get the original iPhone were sorely disappointed when they activated their phone and found this out.
    05-20-09 03:47 PM
    True, that Apple never specifically said it can do MMS and the such. But I'm sure when all those millions of people who stood in line to get the original iPhone were sorely disappointed when they activated their phone and found this out.
    Well then that's the consumer's fault for buying something without researching. Before any device it's released, the spec and details are released. RIM or VZW never told us that we may have to slip a business card behind the battery door so the screen can click better in the corners. They also didn't tell us that we would periodically have to pull the battery to free memory. Or dust make get under the screen and be irritating as ****. Guess they forgot to list that on the specs sheet.
    05-20-09 04:00 PM
    Nuff said.
    This post should have stopped there.

BTW, who's Nuff?
    05-20-09 04:05 PM
    Well then that's the consumer's fault for buying something without researching. Before any device it's released, the spec and details are released. RIM or VZW never told us that we may have to slip a business card behind the battery door so the screen can click better in the corners. They also didn't tell us that we would periodically have to pull the battery to free memory. Or dust make get under the screen and be irritating as ****. Guess they forgot to list that on the specs sheet.
    But yet millions still stood in line for the iPhone regardless and then went right on ranting about the lack of common features they were expecting. The ones who research the crap out of a product before buying are surprisingly in the minority. Most consumers take an item at face value.

I could say the same thing about all the issues the iPhone had on its original release. I won't go into detail here. Google can find a list for you. Why didn't Apple put those issues on their spec sheet?

I do understand the issues with the other problems. It's unfortunate that the phone has these issues, but as a consumer, all I can do is complain. But since I'm lucky enough to not have any of the major problems and only the minor ones that truthfully don't bother me, I really don't have much to complain about.
    05-20-09 04:16 PM
    i dont know if anyone has said anything about this but what happens when the storm 2 doesnt support LTE? the same people who said storm 2 ripped them off but then went and bought it anyways because lets face it we are a nation of consumers will say the new blackberry storm or whatever they change the name to ripped them off again 6 months later. it is expected and thats the price you pay for having the newest and greatest. i for one am going to be holding off on storm 2 no matter how amazing it is unless it supports LTE. new technology is always just around the corner. and its a consumers market.
    Wake me up when LTE is rolled out nation wide.

Something tells me my 2 year contract will be up by then... maybe even twice.
    05-20-09 05:01 PM
    Can someone please explain to me who is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to keep the storm 1 and not be able to get the storm 2. If you want the storm 2 then when it comes out go into your wallet get your checkcard or checkbook and buy the damn thing!!!! Im starting to think verizon owners are some of the most whining complaining people i have seen in my life, Again no one is holding a gun to your head. I have had 4 diff phones in 3 months Curve 8330 to bold to storm to curve 8900 and storm, to just the storm.

P.S RIM has a product devolopment dept and software dept. They are TWO seperate divisions. take from it whatever you like.
    05-20-09 05:09 PM
    suckers, should have went for a bold or javelin you went for a touch screen piece of crapola.
    05-20-09 05:18 PM

There are threads out there that can help you fix that! Searching for an answer is always better than sitting there mad that your phone has an issue and blaming RIM for it and telling others to boycott it.
    What an argument. That an unofficial internet forum might have the fix info on how to get a product to perhaps perform as advertised.

Who should be blamed for the issues? Ah right, as so many fanboys keep saying on this site, it is the fault of the user.
    05-20-09 05:22 PM
    Are you kidding me? You're telling me if you were still on .75 you would be just fine with how the Storm is? It's only because of the constant leaks and fine tuned custom firmwares from our fellow forum members that have kept us happy with the storm.
    If there is one true statement that I have ever seen on CB.com, that would be the one. Nice words, Sashin.
    05-20-09 05:29 PM

That was the last Eagles vs Dallas game which means the OS was .75 (The game was in December). I had a 15 min video I saved as a test. But who watches 15 min of someone else's tv?
    05-20-09 06:37 PM
    What an argument. That an unofficial internet forum might have the fix info on how to get a product to perhaps perform as advertised.

Who should be blamed for the issues? Ah right, as so many fanboys keep saying on this site, it is the fault of the user.
    I never said it was his phone's problems were his fault. Please stop putting words in my mouth (virtual mouth in this case).

Yes his problem comes from the company. The Storm he got slipped through QA with this problem (as did many others). The QA at the factories does need work.

But, the internet is a forum (no pun intended) where all kinds of solutions can be found and shared. If the answer to his problem is in a thread on CrackBerry.com, then what's so wrong with using it? Just because it's not from the mouths of RIM doesn't mean that it isn't the solution. That's the best part of a community that revolves around particular devices. Others will come across the same issues and they will share how they fixed it. BlackBerries have them, LG has then, Nokia has them, **** even Apple has them.

As much as I dislike "insulting" people, I have to say that waiting on your *** for RIM to spoon-feed you a solution is just lazy.
    Last edited by Zipster; 05-20-09 at 09:07 PM.
    05-20-09 09:02 PM
    Thank you, Thank you.

Finaly someone expressed my exact thoughts.

At least I know that you're a customer just like me, not another Rim employee that have flooded these forums lately.

God I love this, seriously. To everyone who thinks that its because "technology is always evolving" and "you should have read the reviews and returned within 30 days" or my favorite "Verizon doesn't owe you anything," are you kidding me? Whose side are you on? AREN'T YOU ALL CONSUMERS/CUSTOMERS TOO!?!?

Technology is always evolving? Really? Thanks for that wonderful piece of insight. Only problem is that there's never been a second generation phone released 6-8 months after the original (as goes the Storm 2 release rumor). I don't think people are complaining that a new phone is coming out as much as they don't like the lack of support from VZW on the current phone.

But the new OS is coming!!! Please pass me some of that Kool-Aid, purple please. How do you know the OS is coming? Did you develop the software yourself? You're just in the know huh? Just like every other person on this site. I'm so sick of people telling me what's coming, It's been six months, when is it coming? Be patient? I paid money for my phone, MY MONEY. I want my phone to run as smooth as the advertisement. I'll believe a new OS when I see it, in the meantime people are allowed to RANT AND RAVE in the RANT AND RAVE section of this site, dont lambast someone for voicing their opinion.

Answer me this though...When you bought your Storm, were you told that you would have to support this phone by yourself via leaked OS's that VZW/RIM would not support? Oh you weren't told that? Hmmm...Yet you happily go about updating an OS when it's not your job to do so according to the contract you signed. You excuse MAJOR CORPORATIONS like VZW and RIM from any responsibility, while taking on the task of fixing a phone when you really dont have the technical expertise or resources to support it...but THEY DO, and THEY DON'T. And you're seriously wondering why people are upset? Since when are you the almighty protectors of all things holy and VZW?

Lastly, A new version was bound to come out just accept it, RIM has to evolve in order for the Storm to be competitive. So you mean to tell me that RIM who released their phone 6 months after the iPhone (because the Storm is an answer to the iPhone, dont deny that), are about to release a second version of their phone while Apple has yet to do so? Apple releases a solid phone and waits a year to improve on an already solid phone, while RIM releases a mediocre phone and HAS TO release an update 6-8 months later because their phone can't handle the software its running. So they are planning to release a new phone and have to add this all amazing new technology...wifi (the only rumored spec bump of the Storm 2), to stay competitive? The software is essentially the same as the original Storm, nothing breaking, it just "allegedly" runs smoother. They boosted the hardware because the current hardware cant run on the Storm 1, face it, they're admitting a FAIL.

Meanwhile the iPhone and others are releasing new innovative features on their phones and guess what? They have virtually none of the issues we have. When's the last time you heard an iPhone owner talking about doing a battery pull? Or dust in their display? Or the screen not working right? Or the camera being too laggy? Or their phone auto-shutting off in the middle of a call? Or their memory leaking? Or their phone going painfully slow? The list goes on people. Stop drinking that corporate Kool-Aid, I know it's good, but you have to demand some responsibility on VZW/RIM's part.

On that note, I'll say this one more time. If I could afford to buy a new phone every 6 months I would, in the meantime I'm stuck with this unsupported piece of phone they call the Storm. I'm running .141, and I still have issues. Rant done, geesh, thank God for these forums...I've found myself needing this place lately, lol .
    05-20-09 10:02 PM
    Frankly, the complaints that I've seen (and somewhat felt) from Storm 1 owners on the pending release of a Storm 2 is somewhat spurious. The implicit assumption is that, somehow, Storm 2 will be a different user experience compared to Storm 1. The majority of user frustrations with Storm 1 have almost entirely been software related (ignoring the screen click issues, and other minor problems). While Storm 2 is just updated hardware, it will still be plagued with the same issues as Storm 1 owners. I am making the assumption that Storm 2 will have the same OS as Storm 1. The problems on Storm 1 will be the same on both devices even though 90% of all storm complaints have been slowly worked out through the leaked OSs on these very forums.

Personally, after slogging away with the Storm for 6 months (now with OS .148), I still have to agree with David Pogue that this is a Blackberry Dud. I hardly expect that some minor hardware changes will solve the software problems that still overshadow the full ability of the device. I purchased the device fully aware of the broadly mixed reviews it had received (e.g. Engadget, Gizmodo, Walt Mossberg). I will not dilute myself to say that I have been duped by RIM or Verizon. I purchased this product with the knowledge that it had a fantastic hardware and software base that could be significantly enhanced.

My disappointment rests on RIM for the fact that they have spent this time building a new device rather than earnestly fixing the true deficiencies of the product. Each leaked update has only marginally improved my experience (and I include the app store in this too), which I hardly expect to be any different in a new device of the same family. While I am fully aware that it does take time for these solutions to be worked out and tested, the overall experience has missed the mark for me. Although Storm 1 accomplishes what I need in true Blackberry fashion (e.g. email, calendar, phone, contacts, etc.), Storm 1 fails, as will Storm 2, to bring the Blackberry service offering to the next level. In my opinion the Storm product family will have a similar fate to Microsoft's Windows Vista. Companies and users have decided to wait until Windows 7 and the next Blackberry/Pre/iPhone is released.
    05-20-09 10:45 PM
    Windows 7 is merely Vista with extras and rebranded. (Think Windows 98 SE.) It is not a completely new OS.

What people don't know/understand is that Vista was kind of required of Microsoft, as motherboard and hardware makers were wanting to expand on the amount of RAM they could support, and XP only supports a few gigs. With 7, they've had time to pretty it up and optimize it. Why *wouldn't* businesses wait for it instead of jumping on Vista? Not doing so would be like refusing a free dessert offered with your meal on a day the restaurant is having a special. There's nothing wrong with your meal, but why not have the dessert if it's included? It says less about Vista and more about Windows 7.

As for the Storm2, I'm absolutely positive (from personal experience in hardware/software releases, as I like to mess around with such things) that there is one in development, but I will be *VERY* surprised if it releases next month unless it has something that differentiates itself vastly from the current device in hardware specs. (Like Mediaflo support or something, not just a different clickscreen.) I'm fairly certain that the big new Blackberry buzzing in the background for near-release is the Tour, because that just makes sense.

As for supposedly getting rid of the "clickscreen", after thinking it over, I have the feeling they found they could get a similar effect to the clickscreen by merging a heat sensitive screen (Like iPod touch) with a traditional digitizer. (Like you see in most PDAs.) Then you could have the combination select/confirm without a mechanical click.
    05-21-09 01:01 AM
    I never said it was his phone's problems were his fault. Please stop putting words in my mouth (virtual mouth in this case).

Yes his problem comes from the company. The Storm he got slipped through QA with this problem (as did many others). The QA at the factories does need work.

But, the internet is a forum (no pun intended) where all kinds of solutions can be found and shared. If the answer to his problem is in a thread on CrackBerry.com, then what's so wrong with using it? Just because it's not from the mouths of RIM doesn't mean that it isn't the solution. That's the best part of a community that revolves around particular devices. Others will come across the same issues and they will share how they fixed it. BlackBerries have them, LG has then, Nokia has them, **** even Apple has them.

As much as I dislike "insulting" people, I have to say that waiting on your *** for RIM to spoon-feed you a solution is just lazy.
    I never wrote that you said the phone problems were the users fault. I said that "so many fanboys keep saying on this site, it is the fault of the user." If you consider yourself a "Fanboy" then I did put you in that category. I also should have elaborated more on that comment. On this site I have seen multitudes of posts insulting users who complain about the phone saying that they "just don't know how to use it." That "perhaps it's not for them", "go get yourself a dumb phone" etc.

I am 100% sure that RIM agrees with these comments. I bet that the Vice President of Customer Service tells the Vice Presidents of Quality Control/Development/Production:

"Nah, It's all good, customers will be able get answers on Crackberry. Except the "Lazy" ones. And we don't need them as customers anyway. We only want to sell our product to people who get off their duffs and find a way to fix the problems. See how well they did with the business card to make it click better. Even better news, many are using business cards from iPhone retailers. It'll remind them that they have a Storm every time they do a battery pull. Hey, hows that .148 leak working out? Have our non lazy customers loaded it on yet? Have they solved the problems? It's sunny today, anyone for golf?"
    Last edited by SocaZeus; 05-21-09 at 11:15 AM.
    05-21-09 07:51 AM
231 ... 78910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD