so am i the only one who remembers that the iphone 3g came out 1 year after the original iphone... and they cost more, and there wasn't a 1 year upgrade price like vzw has.

if you want the storm 2 so bad... upgrade after 1 year, pay the extra $50, and quit ********!
    05-18-09 07:55 AM
    Who was holding a gun to anyones head when the Storm 1 came out? I went and saw it in the store, read the hate messages on Crackberry, and said "no thanks". If you didn't have the good sense to wait and see before dropping a couple hundred on the phone, guess what... Buyer beware!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 07:59 AM
    Nuff said.

Verizon has completely screwed us over. No official update in over 6 months. Most of us signing on to 2 more years for a now OBSOLITE DEVICE.

We need to start a petition or something to get back at Verizon.

They owe us OG Storm owners a free or cheap upgrade to Storm 2 at a minimum.

If you didn't have this site would you be please with your Storm?

Almost everyone here runs firmware which is UNOFFICIAL. May VOID your warentee.

Most of us have to pull the battery out or run a program that resets the phone constantly.

Look at how many threads there are about memory leaks.

The point is that its not about technology advancing. It's about a FAULTY product with little OFFICIAL support
    from Verizon.
    Get a clue.....
    05-18-09 08:04 AM
    I'm amazed to see the reply that were given to the Op.

If the Storm 2 comes within a year of the Storm 1, RIM screwed us IMO. If it comes after 1 year of the Storm 1 (a la Apple) I think it's going to be much better.

When I look at the 3 year contract I had to sign for this, I don't know if it was worth it.

Also I don't know why peoples compare this phone to a house or a car. Of course there is always going to be something better in the future but your car or your house doesn't have any problems. Sure it will miss a couple of the new features but you can drive it. It won't stop at a red light for no reasons.
    Um...I don't know what world you're living in, but cars and houses do have problems. Case-in-point is with my car, the Nissan Altima. The newer model (2007+) was completely redesigned, but had a weird issue with the power seats where they were loose and shifted when the car turned. A recall was done and the problem fixed at the factory for 2008+ models. I got mine in 2008, so it was a non-issue for me.

Houses can also be built with something like electrical or plumbing problems that got overlooked when the builder was in a rush to finish one house so they could get to work on another cookie-cutter one in the development.

So comparing the Storm to a car or house seems perfectly fine with me. And isn't the point of a red light to stop?
    05-18-09 08:16 AM
    Neither does my phone...
    Lol. But I'm always surprise to see on CB that some peoples never had any problems
    with their Storm.

I'm not a heavy user, but I can't say that I've never had problems with it. I won't start saying what since we all know the drill...
    05-18-09 08:22 AM
    So I should be pissed Ford change the Mustang's body style after my car was built? I'm going to sue!!!

Get over it and move on. Change is the only constant in life.
    05-18-09 08:28 AM
    Um...I don't know what world you're living in, but cars and houses do have problems. Case-in-point is with my car, the Nissan Altima. The newer model (2007+) was completely redesigned, but had a weird issue with the power seats where they were loose and shifted when the car turned. A recall was done and the problem fixed at the factory for 2008+ models. I got mine in 2008, so it was a non-issue for me.

Houses can also be built with something like electrical or plumbing problems that got overlooked when the builder was in a rush to finish one house so they could get to work on another cookie-cutter one in the development.

So comparing the Storm to a car or house seems perfectly fine with me. And isn't the point of a red light to stop?
    Yeah to stop! Good finding, I still don't agree with the fact that you've mentioned a recall on the Nissan Altima and the problem was fixed. If the Storm 2 comes out within a year of the Storm 1 it will be a complete proof that RIM saw the problem in the first phone and corrected it on the 2nd one.

I do not know why peoples in here seems to be in favor of RIM whatever they do. They've been doing phone for the last decade and there are new problems arising with the newer models.
    05-18-09 08:28 AM
    Lol. But I'm always surprise to see on CB that some peoples never had any problems
    with their Storm.

I'm not a heavy user, but I can't say that I've never had problems with it. I won't start saying what since we all know the drill...
    I only got on CB because it was my first BB, and I wanted to learn about it. Then I got involved with the community, and I like most of the people here, so I stayed. I truly have not had any major issues with the phone. Really. I had maybe 2 or 3 random reboots within the first 2 weeks of owning it... hasn't happened since. I have not had any of the bugs that people get with the camera or the video camera. The issue with custom ringtones was easily solved on my phone by creating a custom sound profile. It never rings when it's not supposed to now. My app memory is always good... I only reboot the phone once a week, and that is just for the sake of doing it. I guess I got lucky with mine. (Oh... and my husband hasn't had any issues with his, either.)
    05-18-09 08:42 AM
    So we have say another 7mos. Before Storm2 comes out.
    Well I may get the Storm2; will of course see what is coming
    on the horizon. But I am leaning to the Storm again.
    Hey I have had smart phones before. Win Mo; Moto Q, MotoQ 9m,
    and the XV 6800.
    Though the Q9m was geared for music I didn't use it.
    With this one I am using the MP3 capabilities. I am happy
    with the GPS capabilities and all the other little things
    this phone does. Oh and BTW I will be replacing my
    phone because of dust issues under screen.

There are a lot of people saying this phone is a failure.
    But I think maybe not. For one; I can honestly say that
    if I had to wait two years for an upgrade to a new device.
    I am satisfied enough with this phone that I could do so.
    Also this phone is probably makng BB users out of those
    that would have never come to a BB otherwise.
    I also stayed with VZW because of this phone.

Some people have left because of it and some
    people are new to BB because of the Storm.
    But hey I am easy because a cellular phone aint the
    end all be all of my world......................................
    05-18-09 09:52 AM
    Not worried about another Storm. Kinda excited, and would do it all over again...

05-18-09 10:17 AM
    can anyone instruct me on how to install the 141 os
    05-18-09 10:22 AM
    If this is a slap in the face, then all they need to do is pull my hair. I like it... who's going to send me one to test?
    please instruct me on how to install the 141 os
    05-18-09 10:39 AM
    please instruct me on how to install the 141 os
    Frist you have to download the os.

Then you have to send it to your BB. The best way of doing this is to put the OS on a 5.25 floppy send it to your BB through usb using an external 5.25 inch floppy drive. It says you can use the 3.5 drive, but it doesn't seem to send the os to the BB with out errors.

From there you reboot and you will be running .141... enjoy!
    05-18-09 10:51 AM
    Dear People who are complaining,

When the first commercials came out for the Storm, I have to say I was impressed. However, I knew that the phone was not going to be perfect. I had my iPod touch provide me proof since it had issues that needed to be worked out at the beginning. I waited until March to get mine. I am not claiming to be an expert but I am just a regular college student who likes new tech.

SO,

I am not going to blame RIM or Verizon because the phone is not working like it did in the commercial because that�s advertising, which is suppose to build a hype for the phone. I do agree with the OP that people who brought the Storm during a set time should be able to upgrade their Storm for the Storm 2. Seeing as there were legitimate problems with the actual hardware of the phone that was giving some people problems. If Verizon does not let people, upgrade so what I will just save my money for the Storm 2 IF it offers more features than the first Storm. (I am sorry to say Wi-Fi doesn�t' count, why need it if you are required to get an unlimited data plan? but that�s for another thread)

I must also agree with some people in these posts about buyer's aware. It is your fault you brought the phone, so stop whining about it. My Storm might be flawed but it works for me, it technically does what it was meant to do, even though RIM just needs to open its API or whatever it�s called for the whole world to see. However, that does not matter; everyone should have researched the phone before buying it. It was not meant for cleaning your house but for email, sms, etc... It was meant to be a Blackberry but with a cool touch screen.

I would much rather have my phone now without an official update from Verizon than have several crappy ones being send out to me(all of the leaks I've tried are buggy but at least it works). I think Verizon is doing a good job by making sure they release an OS that covers all of the problems/bugs that we are experiencing and making sure that new bugs do not pop up. That�s great customer care so do not say Verizon is not taking care of Storm users because I know there are idiots that work for Verizon but there are genuine people that know what they are talking about so ask nicely for those people.

I am so SICK AND TIRED of people saying that instead of RIM making the Storm 2, they should focus on getting an OS to be approved by Verizon. First, there are multiple development teams for RIM that focuses on one thing, so that means one team that is in charge of the STORM 2 is working independently from the team that is building an OS for the first Storm. It would be so dumb to think otherwise. Second, if there were an OS that did not because many problems then you would be complaining about something else. Change is going to happen whether you like it or not. RIM does not have to stop working on whatever it is doing just because you do not like it. So shut up already!

Love,
    Me
    05-18-09 11:03 AM
    Yeah to stop! Good finding, I still don't agree with the fact that you've mentioned a recall on the Nissan Altima and the problem was fixed. If the Storm 2 comes out within a year of the Storm 1 it will be a complete proof that RIM saw the problem in the first phone and corrected it on the 2nd one.

I do not know why peoples in here seems to be in favor of RIM whatever they do. They've been doing phone for the last decade and there are new problems arising with the newer models.
    Is that not the definition of advancing technology? Why would RIM build a BlackBerry and then not improve on it later?

The thing is that even though they've been doing phones for a while, RIM's never tried a touchscreen phone with their OS. And then they throw a clickable screen on top of that, which no one has attempted to do.

I'd rather they did come out with the Storm and see how the market reacted to it than hold back an innovative idea (only true way they can see if they're on the right path). Innovation for a company has to start somewhere...

I can just see RIM creating much better touchscreen phones in the future and we'll all look back at the Storm as the grand-daddy that started it all for them!
    05-18-09 11:47 AM

So does that mean Apple has yet to get an iPhone right? Seeing as how they release a new one every year. My laptop I bought brand new in January is no longer availible in stores. Does that mean Sony saw 'the problem' in the 20th laptop and corrected it on the 30th iteration of the Vaio?

Technology is obsolete 30 days after release. Companies are no longer producing hardware to last years, being more profitable to 'upgrade' more frequently and grab more sales. Only thing lasting years nowadays in tech are game consoles.

And that's because it takes damn near 10 years to recoup the losses from release
    05-18-09 01:22 PM
    Why does this phone **** so many people off?? RIM has taken a device that has great potential and is working on making it better. One of the true short comings of the current storm is it's hardware limitations. No Wi-Fi, underpowered CPU, not enough memory, poor screen construction. And RIM is now (from what I can see and what I've read) trying to correct some of those issues. Software is relatively easy to tweak (as evidenced by the number of hybrid os's available.) But the hardware was lackluster. I'm glad to see their upgrading. And I can tell you I will be one of the first in line to get my hands on it. I love my phone, and I can't wait to see what improvements have been made to the new one.

And when the Storm3 comes out I'll be first in line for that too. Its the hazards of being an early adopter.
    05-18-09 01:35 PM
    Who's to say the storm 2 won't be as faulty as the first storm. Pretty much the only reason there's going to be a storm 2 is because people didn't like the click screen. But I agree we do need some sort of compensation.

05-18-09 03:13 PM
    I only got on CB because it was my first BB, and I wanted to learn about it. Then I got involved with the community, and I like most of the people here, so I stayed. I truly have not had any major issues with the phone. Really. I had maybe 2 or 3 random reboots within the first 2 weeks of owning it... hasn't happened since. I have not had any of the bugs that people get with the camera or the video camera. The issue with custom ringtones was easily solved on my phone by creating a custom sound profile. It never rings when it's not supposed to now. My app memory is always good... I only reboot the phone once a week, and that is just for the sake of doing it. I guess I got lucky with mine. (Oh... and my husband hasn't had any issues with his, either.)
    Thanks for your honest response. I'm having the random reboots while I'm on the phone so I'm guessing something is not fix with the phone. I've tried many things upgrade downgrades and whatsoever but some issues remain.
    05-18-09 03:20 PM
    Is that not the definition of advancing technology? Why would RIM build a BlackBerry and then not improve on it later?

The thing is that even though they've been doing phones for a while, RIM's never tried a touchscreen phone with their OS. And then they throw a clickable screen on top of that, which no one has attempted to do.

I'd rather they did come out with the Storm and see how the market reacted to it than hold back an innovative idea (only true way they can see if they're on the right path). Innovation for a company has to start somewhere...

I can just see RIM creating much better touchscreen phones in the future and we'll all look back at the Storm as the grand-daddy that started it all for them!
    I get the point on technology. I'm just saying that I have to agree with the Op on a certain point.

Take the bold per example, flawless phone IMO however it seems that RIM had toi fix something in these for Japan because they were to hot to be used:

BlackBerry Bold too hot to handle in Japan - InternetNews:The Blog - Judy Mottl

I'm not hating on the Storm and I'm not going to by an Iphone (for personal reasons) however if something doesn't work properly we should have the ability to change if the compagny pushes another similar products soon.
    05-18-09 03:28 PM
    shameless avatar plug
    05-18-09 03:46 PM
    I get the point on technology. I'm just saying that I have to agree with the Op on a certain point.

Take the bold per example, flawless phone IMO however it seems that RIM had toi fix something in these for Japan because they were to hot to be used:

BlackBerry Bold too hot to handle in Japan - InternetNews:The Blog - Judy Mottl

I'm not hating on the Storm and I'm not going to by an Iphone (for personal reasons) however if something doesn't work properly we should have the ability to change if the compagny pushes another similar products soon.
    I hold a small hope that if for whatever reason the Storm 2 comes out before Verizon lets a RIM OS pass, all us Storm owners get at least a $50 - $100 credit (based on what you paid) towards the Storm 2.

I really don't see that happening, but we can all dream! Either way, I'm personally happy with how my Storm turned out. I haven't been plagued with any of the major issues people return theirs for. I haven't even taken off the stock screen protector yet!
    05-18-09 03:47 PM
    Storm owner's reaction upon seeing Storm 2's release:

YEAH! It hurts!
    05-18-09 04:02 PM
    shameless avatar plug
    Wow we are full of ourself aren't we..................
    05-18-09 06:06 PM
    umm.storm 2...RIM's way of admitting fault with original..great device..before its time
    05-18-09 06:08 PM
231 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD