Does anyone know if you can use the OtterBox defender holster from the original Storm for the Storm 2?

I am very happy with my Defender case on my 9550, but the holster is junk. With only the two little tabs to hold the phone in place, the phone always gets knocked out onto the ground.

The holster for the original Storm, I'm told, came up the front of the phone more. Since both phones are about the same size, I was hoping that it would work.

Anyone using this method? Any of my Brother Firemen?
    05-31-10 04:10 PM
    When I had my Defender on my Storm2 I personally thought that the clip was TOO tight for my liking, it was a struggle to get it out. Have you had the case for a long time?
    05-31-10 04:34 PM
    6-8 months....

Your holster was too tight? That is wierd. The two little clips on the side of the holster is what was too tight? Or was it the case itself?
    05-31-10 05:19 PM
    Yeah, it all fit SOOOO snug, maybe over time yours has loosened, have you tried to contact them, they may replace the clip for you since its within a year. Also, I got mine after that, so maybe it was a revised version.
    05-31-10 05:22 PM
    I will give them a shout. Thanks for the info
    05-31-10 05:44 PM
    Otterbox has admitted that the design of the holster is flawed and they are working on a new design for the clip. I am on my third defender as the clips on the holster are continually snapping off the small tabs just before the indent on the case, making it impossible for the clip to hold the phone anymore.

Yes do contact Otterbox because their customer service is first rate and they will replace the product no questions asked. They may even tell you that they are working on a new design for the holster.

In my opinion, admitting when they have made a design error is part of what makes Otterbox number one.

Mike
    05-31-10 07:08 PM
    just dropped mine for the first time today, from hip high .. thanks for my defender saving my phone no cracked display at all whew
    07-16-10 09:44 AM
    I had to ditch the Defender. I loved the protection, but it's needed mostly to protect the phone from the poorly designed holster. I'd guess that my phone would fall out of the holster between 2 and 5 times a day. Getting out of a car was a favorite time for it to drop. If anything bumps the phone...out it goes. I finally took the case of, bought the seido clip on holster about 2 weeks ago, and my phone has not come out 1 time since.
    07-16-10 09:55 AM
    I have the same problems. I love the protection. Being in the fire dept and on a hazmat company part time I need the protection. Now all I do is just carry the phone around without the belt clip. It gets aggravating but I'm use to it now. Looking fwd to the new design.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-10 10:33 AM
    I always take mine out when I get into the truck then put it back when I get out. I think that I just got my shirt caught in the holster when I put the phone back into the holster other than that my clips in pretty tightly still
    07-16-10 11:28 AM
    I've been using the clip for 3 months now and do not have an issue with the phone popping out, anytime you bend your torso to get in or out of a car, any phone can pop out from the case, it has happened to me but not a big deal IMO.
    07-16-10 12:10 PM
    I've been using the clip for 3 months now and do not have an issue with the phone popping out, anytime you bend your torso to get in or out of a car, any phone can pop out from the case, it has happened to me but not a big deal IMO.
    It wasn't that big of a deal to me either, until I came out of a restaurant one night and found my phone laying in the parking lot near my truck's door. I didn't even know it had dropped out...I was lucky. In the 2 weeks of having the seido holster, it has not fallen out a single time. Better locking design. I loved the OtterBox case, but having the phone fall out ALL THE TIME wasn't worth it. It's only a matter of time before it finally falls face down onto a rock and breaks the screen. My S1 hardly ever fell out, but the S2 holster design is far from secure. OtterBox has even replaced my case/holster 3 times. Great company, bad holster.
    07-16-10 03:39 PM
    I threw my holster in the bin when I got my defender.

I am not confident if having it clipped to my belt.

Better in my pocket or my hand.

Bloody good case though.

Best ever.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-17-10 08:17 AM
    Yes it works I was having the same problem I called otter box and they sent me a 9500 belt clip and a whole new 9550 set their customer service is great! And I work on an ambulance so when my phone falls its normally far and with out the otter box I'm sure I would be on my 10th phone lol but I used my old case and it fits nice! And I'm talking about using 9550 case and 9500 clip best combo by far!

Last edited by MistaBaloo; 07-20-10 at 02:12 PM.
    07-20-10 02:08 PM
    I contacted Otterbox for this same issue and they offered to send me a new belt clip or a commuter case for free.I took them up on the commuter case and love it.
    07-20-10 05:39 PM
    Has anyone found a good BB horizontal pouch with belt loops that the defender fits in? I just order a Maxpedition pouch that fits it but may be a bit bulky.

Gary
    07-21-10 09:04 AM
    Has anyone found a good BB horizontal pouch with belt loops that the defender fits in? I just order a Maxpedition pouch that fits it but may be a bit bulky.

Gary
    BLACK LEATHER CASE POUCH FOR BLACKBERRY 9550 STORM 2 on eBay.ca (item 150436391780 end time 21-Jul-10 13:02:12 EDT)

My wife has a similar one for her curve.
    07-21-10 09:11 AM
    Yes it works I was having the same problem I called otter box and they sent me a 9500 belt clip and a whole new 9550 set their customer service is great! And I work on an ambulance so when my phone falls its normally far and with out the otter box I'm sure I would be on my 10th phone lol but I used my old case and it fits nice! And I'm talking about using 9550 case and 9500 clip best combo by far!

I had Otterbox send me a 9500 clip as well and it works great, no more worries about it falling out of the clip anymore. I did let Otterbox know that this works well as they had indicated to me before in a previous email that they were working on a new design for a clip for the Storm 2 Defender series.

The 9500 clip was a bit snug at first but withing a few days it slides in and out easily but still snug enough to not worry about it accidentally falling out. The only problem I have found is that the lower button cover on the right side of the phone sits right agains the right edge of the clip. I've never had the button pushed by putting it inside the 9500 clip but did recommend if they were thinking about using the 9500 clip for the Storm 2 they consider a small indentation be made in the clip to accommodate the right side lower button.
    07-21-10 09:15 AM
    So you have seen a storm in an Otterbox Defender fit in this one? The defender is approx. 4.75x2.75x.75. Assuming this case can stretch out this far and still be easy access? thanks.

Gary
    07-21-10 09:55 AM
    So you have seen a storm in an Otterbox Defender fit in this one? The defender is approx. 4.75x2.75x.75. Assuming this case can stretch out this far and still be easy access? thanks.

Gary
    Haven't tried it but I will try my Storm 2 with Defender in my wife's curve case tonight and let you know.
    07-21-10 10:01 AM
    I had Otterbox send me a 9500 clip as well and it works great, no more worries about it falling out of the clip anymore. I did let Otterbox know that this works well as they had indicated to me before in a previous email that they were working on a new design for a clip for the Storm 2 Defender series.

The 9500 clip was a bit snug at first but withing a few days it slides in and out easily but still snug enough to not worry about it accidentally falling out. The only problem I have found is that the lower button cover on the right side of the phone sits right agains the right edge of the clip. I've never had the button pushed by putting it inside the 9500 clip but did recommend if they were thinking about using the 9500 clip for the Storm 2 they consider a small indentation be made in the clip to accommodate the right side lower button.
    Yeah I like it a lot better too but I haven't noticed that it fits like that but as of now I'm good haven't fell out once since I started using the 9500 clip.

07-21-10 11:55 AM
    Haven't tried it but I will try my Storm 2 with Defender in my wife's curve case tonight and let you know.
    thanks, that would be great. I don't trust many vendor sizes listed on the cases. I want a belt loop horizontal pouch. I have a couple of Krusell cases that are great but can't use now. I will be having a custom case made in the next month with a full holster rig but until then, wanted a case to use for general work use. Hope it fits and then I will know what to get.

Gary
    07-21-10 03:34 PM
    It wasn't that big of a deal to me either, until I came out of a restaurant one night and found my phone laying in the parking lot near my truck's door. I didn't even know it had dropped out...I was lucky. In the 2 weeks of having the seido holster, it has not fallen out a single time. Better locking design. I loved the OtterBox case, but having the phone fall out ALL THE TIME wasn't worth it. It's only a matter of time before it finally falls face down onto a rock and breaks the screen. My S1 hardly ever fell out, but the S2 holster design is far from secure. OtterBox has even replaced my case/holster 3 times. Great company, bad holster.
    What was the name and model of the holster you got from Seido? I assume you kept the Defender case and used the Seido Holster
    Thanks for the info
    02-28-11 06:24 PM
    seido has the innocase and a holster that locks the phone in, its a pricey buy but worth it, i have the standard seido holster with spring clip but will be investing in the innocase setup..
    02-28-11 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD