Since I own both devices, IMO I can't really say which is better. I guess it depends on what you use it for. I bought the device for a personal phone since I don't really have much access to the "entertainment" side of the Storm 2. There are a lot of features on both devices that rival one another, but for good and different reasons. I am not much of an iPhone fan as I am a Storm fan, as the S2 gets more attention during the day. It's more of an apples and organges kinda thing for me.
    04-18-10 07:43 AM
    I am real happy with my storm2. The only problem I have now is that I keep trying to get the click from other touchscreen devices at home and work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-10 09:19 AM
    I don't see that it really matters lol, if you like it, use it!
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    definitely underestimated, but some people are just not blackberry people...they will never understand
    And like those who don't get how good blackberries can be, I'm one who doesn't understand the iPhone appeal (especially if reception on AT&T is as bad as I read), and I only sort of understand the appeal of Android.

I'm one who liked my Storm1 (after putting electrical tape on the door to stiffen up the screen) and had no problems with it.

My Storm2 has given me problems with the screen click and I've had to replace it a two times. Other than that, its fine. No other problems and when the screen is working properly, its one of the best phones I've had.
    04-18-10 09:59 AM
    I think its a bit RIM's fault if BBs, especially S2 dont get the respect they deserve. Their commercials dont really show the full potential of BB.

Where are the commercials showing really cool BB themes?
    Showing cool apps and games?
    With the BB stereo gateway, I control my stereo from my BB through bluetooth and stream music at the same time through Wifi. Where are the commercials showing that?
    I have 10 apps opened at the same time. Is there a commercial for that?
    BBM?

RIM needs to develop a marketing machine comparable to that of Apple....
    04-18-10 11:16 AM
    Kingbernie, you raise a good point: marketing. I typically see 3 or 4 iPhone commercials everyday, for every 1 BB commercial. The awareness level of the iPhone is much higher than that of the Storm. This is not a "which is better" statement, just which is more recognizable. You can't have the demand and "respect" for a device if you don't have the advertising platform to go with it.

Think about this. The person that's there first, is better positioned to command the market. Like in the past, when the need for a reliable tissue was filled by Kleenex, soon the whole world knew about this tissue. Others followed, with equal or better tissues, but Kleenex, being the first, was the one that everyone wanted simply because it was better known. Same concept holds true for the Storm today. It was a "me too" device and regardless of it's features/benefits, it was a johnny come lately that will always be playing catchup. This has nothing to do with quality/features/benefits, only how the consumer marketplace works.

Years ago, a close, old friend contacted me. I knew him back in college and now, 20 years later, he contacted me to let me know he had just moved to a nieghboring state, a 2.5 hour drive away. We made arrangements to get together sometime in the next month or two and eventually, we got together. I was sitting in his living room one Saturday night and, over a beer and he was describing his new job to me. He was a top notch engineer and had been retained by a HUGE conglomerate to help with designing manufacturing machinery for a new laundry product. Thus far, they had invested over 50 million dollars in design and fabrication. It was all interesting but right in the middle of his description, his home phone rang (pre-cell days, lol). He disappeared in the back room for a few minutes and when he returned, he was white-faced. "Well, I just lost my job" he announced. "WHAT?" I asked. He went on to describe how his bosses had just learned that the competition, another major conglomerate, had just announced their own version of a similar product and that it was going to market at a price point that would be about 10 cents per use, cheaper. They got there first and the company my friend worked for decided to pull the plug, realizing they'd ALWAYS be playing catch up. FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS spent and they were pulling the plug simply because they'd be introducing second! That was over 20 years ago and I still see the competition's product on the shelf, but not one by my friend's company.

iPhone got there first. It was a decent device (not perfect, nothing is) and caught the fancy of people all over the world. It is higly unlikely that anything will ever achieve the same popularity and recognition, that's just the nature of the beast. It's not always about "which is best" but rather, more about "which was first."
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 04-19-10 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
    04-18-10 12:39 PM
    I agree with you, which is why RIM needs to stay in the game for it's business users. They were there first. BES(x) is a strategic product. Apple will be playing catch up for a long time to come. The latest version was jailbroken, how many companies, which their proprietary information is key will want a phone that can be jailbroken inside of their firewall?

No phone is all things to all people you have to pick what works best for you. If my business use wasn't such an overriding use of the phone, I would have picked up a Storm 2 a long time ago.
    04-18-10 02:15 PM
    I think the BB OS kinda limits the storm series. It will be interesting to see what 6.0 will bring. It also does not help that you can only get it on Verizon. I'm on sprint and I would love to try the storm but Verizon has it locked down. Look at what android and now palm (a little too late) is doing on ALL platforms. That is the only way to compete with the "other" phone.
    I think RIM needs to develop a seperate O/S strictly for the Storm. It can have the same wonderful menus we love about the current system, but you can't port over the same system from a regular BB and expect it to do anything "special" on a touchscreen.
    04-18-10 03:17 PM
    I haven't seen a BB commercial in months. I see the same Droid and iPhone commercials every time I watch t.v.

To answer the OP's question: Because the Storm 3 might be coming out soon.
    04-18-10 03:22 PM
    I am real happy with my storm2. The only problem I have now is that I keep trying to get the click from other touchscreen devices at home and work.

+1
    I'm always trying to click the iphone screen now.
    I love Surepress, it's one of the best things about the Storm.
    04-18-10 08:10 PM
    how many companies, which their proprietary information is key will want a phone that can be jailbroken inside of their firewall?
    They won't. They'll just lock everything like my company does.
    04-18-10 08:15 PM
    Probably because the iPhone seems more valuable to the hacking crowd due to its app quantity or because Apple doesn't care enough to make it's software as secure as RIM's.

I'll go with the first one.
    04-18-10 08:20 PM
    Iphone is more valuable to the hacking crowd because it can be hacked. BES controls make a BB more secure. To some that's important to others not so much.

04-18-10 09:58 PM
    I prefer nonclickable touchscreens
    As did I, until I got a Storm. Now when using my iPod Touch I find myself wanting that feedback.
    04-18-10 11:19 PM
    Probably because the iPhone seems more valuable to the hacking crowd due to its app quantity or because Apple doesn't care enough to make it's software as secure as RIM's.

I'll go with the first one.
    Both...Apple needs the jailbreaking dev team because they appeal to half of the iPhone consumers. Jailbreak community is huge for iphones. Its what makes the iPhone, its variety of apos. Just about everything, "there's an app for that."

04-19-10 12:03 AM
    Smart phones and other product categories share one the in common and that is that the quality of the product doesn't necessarily coincide with its popularity. Many people will swear up and down that the Macintosh OS was superior to microsoft windows but regardless we know which one dominates the market.

Another factor that is especially true with smart phones is that they are apples and oranges when comparing them; smart phone X may appeal to the lowest common denominator because it has more games, or is prettier, or serves as a garage door open or whatever but may not be as good as Y and Z for practical or business applications....

...so every teenager and game freak and lazy couch potatoe buys phone X and that out numbers the white collar business crowd market.

Long story short, I don't care what the proletariat wants
    04-19-10 10:25 AM
    I'm having fun with the Storm2... but I can do without the clickable screen.
    04-19-10 11:19 AM
    Perhaps, but you have to first define "quality." In my business, Apple computers reign king. They are superb graphics computers and most graphic artists I know, use Macs. I'm one of the few that don't, only because ... well, guess I was too lazy to make the switch, lol. In many, many ways, Mac's software IS superior to Windows and the only reason that Windows dominates the market is because, as I said in an earlier post, IT WAS FIRST. That and 'ole Bill made a very smart decision when he agreed to license his software cross-platform while Apple chose to keep everything (including hardware) in-house.

There is another thread going that is almost identical to this one and I'm getting a bit confused as to who posted what and where, but be careful in referencing those that prefer an iPhone as being "the lowest common denominator" and "couch potato" and basically insulting those that use it. First, not everyone NEEDS a business phone...doesn't make them bad or lowly, they simply don't need it. They only need a device for personal reasons and doing business apps usually does not constitute "business reasons." With that being said, there are plenty of top flight, business apps available for the iPhone that are not available for BBs or Droids or whatever. Lawyers and doctors have access to very pricey apps that specialize in meeting their needs. There's nothing like them for BBs.

Bottom line here is, it's pure childishness to deman or otherwise put down any device. There all good, some are just better at certain things than others.

By the way, to those that don't like the SurePress technology, I love it. One of my objections to the iPhone was that it was too easy to make mistakes. But, that's just me!

Smart phones and other product categories share one the in common and that is that the quality of the product doesn't necessarily coincide with its popularity. Many people will swear up and down that the Macintosh OS was superior to microsoft windows but regardless we know which one dominates the market.

Another factor that is especially true with smart phones is that they are apples and oranges when comparing them; smart phone X may appeal to the lowest common denominator because it has more games, or is prettier, or serves as a garage door open or whatever but may not be as good as Y and Z for practical or business applications....

...so every teenager and game freak and lazy couch potatoe buys phone X and that out numbers the white collar business crowd market.

04-19-10 12:35 PM

04-19-10 12:43 PM
    I'm having fun with the Storm2... but I can do without the clickable screen.
    The clickable screen is the best thing about the S2.
    04-19-10 12:44 PM
    +1
    I'm always trying to click the iphone screen now.
    I love Surepress, it's one of the best things about the Storm.
    Couldn't agree more. REALLY hope RIM doesn't get rid of Surepress!!

Whenever I show the phone to people who've never seen it (especially iPhone users) they flip out over the clickable screen and say how much better it is...
    04-19-10 12:55 PM
    Couldn't agree more. REALLY hope RIM doesn't get rid of Surepress!!

Whenever I show the phone to people who've never seen it (especially iPhone users) they flip out over the clickable screen and say how much better it is...
    On S2 vs. Android phones (including Moto's DROID):

Android-based phones are great if you are a FOSS zealot and prefer FOSS-based apps; however, if you want proven apps, it's best to stick with one of the major (but more closed) phone OSes (including that for RIM's Berries).

S2 vs. all non-RIM handsets (including the iPhone)

Part of the problem RIM faces with the BlackBerries (and especially the Storm and S2) is that little is known about their non-corporate/enterprise capabilities (especially multimedia). One shocking surprise is exactly how *versatile* the S2 is in terms of multimedia playback without *any* extra apps; what would require extra applications (either on the handset or on the PC) to playback or convert a multimedia file on one end to play on the other end (especially in terms of multimedia copied form PC to S2 and that voluminous 16 GB microSD drive) with other handsets (and especially the iPhone, which requires iTunes). I can copy 4 GB of audio and 4 GB of *video* to the S2 and still have half the space left over. (No fancy formats; MP3 and Windows Media, or even MP4 for video, work just fine.) BlackBerries (and especially the S2) are *pigeonholed* as corporate/enterprise-only phones, even though their capabilities (and prices) open the door to non-enterprise users.
    04-21-10 11:55 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD