new look, nicer features

but

STILL THE SAME PHONE

browser still stinks, UI looks the same--sorry but am I the only one that sees this?? The screen was the least of the problems IMO

I found it incredible that they want original storm 1 owners to pay and upgrade for something that is only marginally better...this should be a free upgrade
    10-10-09 08:06 AM
    Well, you sure are entitled to your own opinion, and we respect that.
    10-10-09 08:07 AM
    here goes......
    10-10-09 08:08 AM
    Only marginally better?

How does going from a phone that freezes randomly (even with some newer 'leaked' OS installed) to one that doesn't marginally better?

How about the fact that the typing is 2x better thanks to true multi-touch/multi-click compared to the original 9530 Storm that can't register two actual clicks simultaneously? This is PHENOMENALLY better for typing.

The Storm2 also has wi-fi, which is the only way to have voice & data simultaneously on Verizon's CDMA network (until LTE of course )

Seriously, you should probably go buy an iPhone because it sounds like you're looking for pure cosmetics in a phone. If you want something pretty, go on. Get yourself on to AT&T's slow network and spend 30 minutes loading a youtube video on your fancy iPhone.

The browser isn't horrible, but it's not phenomenal. It will be fixed by some time next year, I do believe. If you don't agree, that's okay. So the browser kind of sucks. That's one thing. You can still use a desktop browser, or if it's a deal-breaker for you, you can stop posting here and go get a different phone.

Admittedly the Storm 9530 was a mistake, both in terms of hardware and software, but it helped create the Storm2 which from all the videos Sal has posted, it's going to be a really good phone that will be a contender for the best touch-screen smartphone to date, and into the future (for at least a year or so). I think RIM should continue to up the ante, but you can't say that based on all the evidence of what we know about the Storm2 that it's going to be 'marginally better'. That's stupid.
    10-10-09 08:12 AM
    Everybody keeps complaining about RIM's OS, but I say that there is more than one way to skin a cat and the bottom line is if it works, then it works.
    10-10-09 08:20 AM
    i like my storm 1...
    10-10-09 08:23 AM
    I am looking forward to the S2. Wifi, more app memory and a better OS. My S1 is the original one I got last year. Running .151 right now and it is great. I use it for work and personal.

Bring on the S2!
    10-10-09 08:26 AM
    Let's wait for a full review here before we make any judgement.
    10-10-09 08:33 AM
    Let's wait for a full review here before we make any judgement.
    I agree, but judging by Sal's latest video I am already sold on it!
    10-10-09 08:41 AM
    BINGO!!! WINNER WINNER!!!!

EXACTLY!!! the S1 was hot garbage - returned in droves....and now they do what? make the screen tighter with as sponge?
    So tell me why your so interested in the S2...i mean you arent even a BB user so what would you know??

Personally i thought the S1 was an ok-ish phone...it was RIMS first first foray into the touchscreen arena and sadly it didnt go to plan...im sure they have learnt their lessons and have improved the S2 far more than what alot of you on here think.

For the record im getting the S2...from what i have seen via Sal's video...it looks like it will be a killer phone.
    10-10-09 08:47 AM
    Of course the UI is still the same. It is a BlackBerry. lackberry standard UI, then maybe this phone is not for you.

The browser IS getting better and will continue to improve.

There are huge changes internally and the word is that RIM have fixed most of the Storm 1 problems.

Before ranting that the thing will not live up to expectations, it is much better to wait until several of us have had the thing in our hands for a few days before forming an opinion. Any other course is equivalent to Ready, Fire, Aim!
    10-10-09 08:53 AM
    new look, nicer features

but

STILL THE SAME PHONE

browser still stinks, UI looks the same--sorry but am I the only one that sees this?? The screen was the least of the problems IMO

I found it incredible that they want original storm 1 owners to pay and upgrade for something that is only marginally better...this should be a free upgrade
    i think there's an app for that
    10-10-09 08:59 AM
    Shouldn't this be in the rants and raves forum??? Lol

...let's see if the mods allow the storm 2 forum to be taken over by trolls like the storm 1 forum was.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-09 09:15 AM
    Oh yeah, like all those HUGE changes in the hardware and UI Apple's made to the iPhone over the last 3 years.

10-10-09 09:16 AM
    new look, nicer features

but

STILL THE SAME PHONE

The browser still stinks? When is the last time YOU used the Storm 2?? It stinks in comparison to the original?? No I don't think so. S2's browser is better than the first, no questions about it. You can try and compare to other devices out there, but what matters in this conversation is how it compares to the original. The UI. Yeppers, it's the same. It's a BlackBerry. And currently the UI is the UI. If it doesn't suit you, get something else until the new device SW is released.

The overall design of the device is different. Not the exact same shape. Different bezel, different battery door. Different placement of the speaker. There is also no longer a huge gap between the screen and the bezel.

The devices internal memory has been upgraded by 1GB to 2GB.

The devices flash memory was increased from 128MB to 256MB.

The device still has the same world capabilities but also included is a Wifi radio.

The screen/resolution is better than the original.

The Enhanced SurePress completely owns the first and is now much easier and more friendly to type on.

There is a little more than marginal upgrades to the Storm 2. It is everything the original Storm isn't. From fixing flaws like the battery door and the two speaker bumps, to changing the overall shape/ergonomics of the device, to adding an extra GB and more flash memory. And especially the addition of the Wifi radio. Plus the better screen is nice too.
    I think maybe the problem is you have the wrong impression of what S2 is supposed to be. RIM listened to the complaints of existing Storm users and also listened to their suggestions. They didn't rebrand the Storm as a new touchscreen. It's the Storm 2 for a reason. It's an upgrade from the original. Period, point blank. Like all manufacturers do, they upgraded things. It wasn't meant to be a brand new device. But there is no question it is better than the first. Mission accomplished.

RIM & the carriers aren't forcing you to upgrade. But Storm 1 owners shouldn't get a free upgrade. The current Storm works fine. And when 5.0 is released it will be comparable to other devices using the same OS.

But again, there are upgraded specs on S2. Therefore it is what it is, and upgraded device. Hence you pay to upgrade or stay with what you have. That's the whole purpose of putting out upgraded devices. All companies across the entire spectrum do it. Either get it, or get over it.
    10-10-09 09:17 AM
    Oh yeah, like all those HUGE changes in the hardware and UI Apple's made to the iPhone over the last 3 years.

Copy and paste was a revolutionary change for most iPhone users! Don't discredit them now.
    10-10-09 09:18 AM
    i think there's an app for that
    Yeh a hundred million useless apps:d
    10-10-09 09:21 AM
    new look, nicer features

but

STILL THE SAME PHONE

A+ for thread name...lololol

STILL THE SAME PHONE - mehhhh...kinda sorta

browser still stinks - how about broswer is still unimpressive?

UI looks the same - yeah...it does...but there was nothing really bad about the UI

The screen was the least of the problems IMO - definitely IYO...bc it was a major major problem (click, dead spot, dust, loose, to name a few)

I found it incredible that they want original storm 1 owners to pay and upgrade for something that is only marginally better...this should be a free upgrade - Agree with you 150%!
    10-10-09 09:21 AM
    I agree this should be in the rants and raves forumn. However, as for the storm 2, i was never sold on touchscreen without a physical keyboard, so i certainly wouldnt switch from my tour to the storm. BUT, as many of you mentioned, no one can knock it till they try it. It sounds to me like a few are upset about the bad deal you got on the storm 1, for that im truly sorry. Either way what was the point in posting a message that you dont like the phone? I think you should cut your losses and get a differant phone, sell yours on ebay, or craigslist, because as far as i can see your just venting your frustrations, and its ultimately your choice as to what phone you want to carry in your pocket, and everyone elses choice as to what they want in theyre own. Lets wait till its released before we get our panties all knotted up shall we?
    10-10-09 09:25 AM
    The browser still stinks? When is the last time YOU used the Storm 2?? It stinks in comparison to the original?? No I don't think so. S2's browser is better than the first, no questions about it. You can try and compare to other devices out there, but what matters in this conversation is how it compares to the original. The UI. Yeppers, it's the same. It's a BlackBerry. And currently the UI is the UI. If it doesn't suit you, get something else until the new device SW is released.

The overall design of the device is different. Not the exact same shape. Different bezel, different battery door. Different placement of the speaker. There is also no longer a huge gap between the screen and the bezel.

The devices internal memory has been upgraded by 1GB to 2GB.

The devices flash memory was increased from 128MB to 256MB.

The device still has the same world capabilities but also included is a Wifi radio.

The screen/resolution is better than the original.

The Enhanced SurePress completely owns the first and is now much easier and more friendly to type on.

There is a little more than marginal upgrades to the Storm 2. It is everything the original Storm isn't. From fixing flaws like the battery door and the two speaker bumps, to changing the overall shape/ergonomics of the device, to adding an extra GB and more flash memory. And especially the addition of the Wifi radio. Plus the better screen is nice too.
    I think maybe the problem is you have the wrong impression of what S2 is supposed to be. RIM listened to the complaints of existing Storm users and also listened to their suggestions. They didn't rebrand the Storm as a new touchscreen. It's the Storm 2 for a reason. It's an upgrade from the original. Period, point blank. Like all manufacturers do, they upgraded things. It wasn't meant to be a brand new device. But there is no question it is better than the first. Mission accomplished.

RIM & the carriers aren't forcing you to upgrade. But Storm 1 owners shouldn't get a free upgrade. The current Storm works fine. And when 5.0 is released it will be comparable to other devices using the same OS.

But again, there are upgraded specs on S2. Therefore it is what it is, and upgraded device. Hence you pay to upgrade or stay with what you have. That's the whole purpose of putting out upgraded devices. All companies across the entire spectrum do it. Either get it, or get over it.
    Nicely put Crucial...
    10-10-09 09:28 AM
    new look, nicer features

but

STILL THE SAME PHONE

I'm just curious as to what it was that you were expecting with S2? Maybe a complete new design, or perhaps a total overhaul of the OS?

The long and short of it is that no one's putting a gun to your head to pony up and buy one, just as no one's forcing you to keep your S1. If you don't like it don't buy/keep it. Simple as that.
    Last edited by grgiwoyna; 10-10-09 at 09:33 AM.
    10-10-09 09:28 AM
    Yeh a hundred million useless apps:d
    except for a multitasking app my lg chocolate could multitask better and that thing was so useless i used it for targetting practice
    10-10-09 09:32 AM
    Also just to add that the UI RIM uses works...simple as that...it just works...so why would they change it or give it a complete revamp of something thats worked for them for yrs now.
    10-10-09 09:33 AM
    except for a multitasking app my lg chocolate could multitask better and that thing was so useless i used it for targetting practice
    LOL true but ill get the iphone myself at some point...probably see what the next one brings to the table...perhaps multi tasking w00t \o/

For what it does...it does it well...which in all honesty isnt much but as a media toy...its great...i couldnt see myself using one on a more serious note.
    10-10-09 09:34 AM
    Also just to add that the UI RIM uses works...simple as that...it just works...so why would they change it or give it a complete revamp of something thats worked for them for yrs now.
    I agree with this, but I think it could definitely stand to be polished a bit. I like the OS but it's a bit bland to look at. No reason the icons couldn't be dressed up a bit and some color added - maybe even annimated in some cases.
    10-10-09 09:47 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD