The speaker on my recently-acquired S2 seems to have failed. Could it be that the phone got too hot? I had it sitting on the dash of my car while driving in a rural area, in hopes is would get better reception.
    07-12-10 03:13 PM
    Is it new (warranty) or just new to you?
    Did the speaker quit completely or does it sound like static?
    07-12-10 03:40 PM
    This happened to 3 of my Storm 2's and had nothing to do with environmental conditions. Watch out for certain hybrids as there seemed to be some correlation between loading a hybrid and frying the speaker. Just bring it in and they will replace it...or switch to a droid
    07-12-10 04:25 PM
    Thanks for the input! I was running Verizon .713 without any hybrid files... based on Keif's suggestion, I decided to do a wipe & reinstall, and it's working fine now. I had done several battery pulls and the phone had fully cooled, so the problem is a real mystery to me.

Jake: It's an insurance replacement I received for my S1 a few weeks ago... was new in box and I really didn't want to screw around with another exchange. Fortunately, all is cool now. (Bad pun unintentional, but I left it there just because.)
    07-12-10 06:26 PM
    This happened to 3 of my Storm 2's and had nothing to do with environmental conditions. Watch out for certain hybrids as there seemed to be some correlation between loading a hybrid and frying the speaker. Just bring it in and they will replace it...or switch to a droid
    Oh no. He mentioned the D-word!! Time to get panties in a wad
    07-12-10 06:49 PM
    ...wipe & reinstall, and it's working fine now....
    Good to hear (another bad pun )
    07-12-10 07:45 PM
    Thanks for the input! I was running Verizon .713 without any hybrid files... based on Keif's suggestion, I decided to do a wipe & reinstall, and it's working fine now. I had done several battery pulls and the phone had fully cooled, so the problem is a real mystery to me.

Jake: It's an insurance replacement I received for my S1 a few weeks ago... was new in box and I really didn't want to screw around with another exchange. Fortunately, all is cool now. (Bad pun unintentional, but I left it there just because.)
    I am having the same problem, I have had the phone replaced twice. Can you tell me how you did the wipe and reinstall?
    07-13-10 06:59 PM
    I am having the same problem, I have had the phone replaced twice. Can you tell me how you did the wipe and reinstall?
    Here's a help guide that's walked me through it several times.

HELP GUIDE: Upgrade/Downgrade, Backing up, BRICKED STORM!! Your COMPLETE GUIDE

This is the quickie version:

1) Backup phone with Desktop Manager.
    2) Backup apps with BBSAK.
    3) Download the appropriate OS for your phone.
    4) Remove unwanted garbage with Shrink-A-OS.
    5) Wipe phone with BBSAK.
    6) Reinstall OS & Apps with BBSAK, then restore data with Desktop Manager.

Before you start this project, make sure you download everything you need.

a) BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    b) Operating System
    c) BBSAK Click Here
    d) Shrink-A-OS Clicky.
    07-13-10 08:44 PM
    Mine does it also. I've noticed it while outside using Slacker for example. On occasion the songs quit playing sound and I don't have any audible notifications such as text/email. I'm as stock as it gets. I got my S2 when it was released in November, with no software updates at all. So, for those of you who think it's a software version issues, it's not due to updates or hybrids. It doesn't take much time for it to cool off and begin to work again. Yes, it's annoying but this is a black piece of metal, and glass. It cant really disperse heat to well.
    07-14-10 12:57 AM
    For all electronic devices, seriously, i don't recommend to place them directly under hot sun or near high temperature.

View your battery temperature via your phone. i think its a native feature? anyway i am using berrymeter so i check from there.
    07-14-10 01:52 AM
    What temperature is too hot for the storm 2?

I have an Otter Box case on mine and I get about 35-42 C on summer days
    07-14-10 02:28 AM
    mine is around there too. about 30-45 in an otterbox.

I never ever place my phone under hot sun or on car dash board is a NO NO!
    07-14-10 02:47 AM
    I use pandora,& radio companion, a lot my speaker works fine but if I'm using my gps or trapster or anything that makes my screen stay on it gets super hot. I get worried don't want to fry it atleast till I'm ready to upgrade

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-10 07:20 AM
    Never noticed it getting heated except when first charging....
    07-14-10 01:08 PM
    I ended up cooling it in front of a car a/c...
    07-14-10 04:41 PM
    In philipines? Seem like a bad storm just went by.
    07-14-10 06:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD