Remember you heard it herefirst!
    03-03-09 03:04 AM
    hmmmm. I just cant see why they would label it as Storm 2 though. Why not just a different model but with the same name?
    Not that I don't really believe their is a "Storm 2" in the works, cause really their is..but in this case it really could just be a typo, I've/We have seen enough carrier leaked information in the past with horrendous spelling mistakes and typos plenty of times to know it's more then highly plausible that it may be the case here as well.

It's almost as if the people who write these memos have no frackin' idea what spell check is.
    03-03-09 04:06 AM
    Not that I don't really believe their is a "Storm 2" in the works, cause really their is..but in this case it really could just be a typo, I've/We have seen enough carrier leaked information in the past with horrendous spelling mistakes and typos plenty of times to know it's more then highly plausible that it may be the case here as well.

It's almost as if the people who write these memos have no frackin' idea what spell check is.
    That was my thought. Most handsets have about a year and a half or two year lifespan these days, so this would be premature. But we'll see I suppose.
    03-03-09 04:18 AM
    In regards to this thread and all the skeptics...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/st...es-out-170200/

Here's the proof...

The "Storm 2" is the Storm with the physical keyboard. It's mainly targeted for euro users.
    03-03-09 04:20 AM
    Does it matter? It's foolish to chase the latest and greatest. By the time a piece of gear gets to market, it's already near obsolete. Just the nature of R&D. I just enjoy the phone I have until my contract ends. At that point, I just upgrade to the newer models. Now if Verizon wanted to encourage phone purchase and fuel this upgrade fever, they should give reasonable(i.e. contract pricing) prices for these phones. Likely have folks upgrading phones right and left as the newer models hit the market. Bring on the Storm 2, 3, 4....I'll get interested when my contract expires.
    03-03-09 06:41 AM
    Hmmm well I guess we will have to wait and see if this is really true or not. Good info though, thnx for the link.
    03-03-09 06:45 AM
    Yeah we gotta wait but i hope its true, cuz i want that Niagra Bad!
    03-03-09 06:51 AM
    The reason why I'm skeptical is because of of how new the 9530 is. Releasing a new version of the Storm without waiting at least a year would alienate a lot of current Storm owners. VZ CS and Telesales would be hard pressed to offer current Storm owners discounts on the new device if they've only had the device for 6 months or so.

I switched from a LG Dare to the Storm. I had been a VZ customer for about 4 months. I got the new contract price (which made the phone free when I sent the Dare back) because I had gone through 5 Dares and qualified for their multi fru policy. But that took going through the upper CS supervisors to get approved.

Giving it at least a year before release would allow current VZ owners a chance at the 1 yr discount without yelling and screaming. It'd also allow the current publicity to die out. Too early a release and it'd be interpretted as correcting a mistake with the current Storm. Image and ego plays here as well.
    03-03-09 07:50 AM
    The "Storm 2" is the Storm with the physical keyboard. It's mainly targeted for euro users.
    i heard this too
    03-03-09 07:59 AM
    Hmmmm, given the delayed Storm intro, my 11/21/10 replacement date should should be just perfect.
    03-03-09 10:27 AM
    Does it matter? It's foolish to chase the latest and greatest. By the time a piece of gear gets to market, it's already near obsolete. Just the nature of R&D. I just enjoy the phone I have until my contract ends. At that point, I just upgrade to the newer models. Now if Verizon wanted to encourage phone purchase and fuel this upgrade fever, they should give reasonable(i.e. contract pricing) prices for these phones. Likely have folks upgrading phones right and left as the newer models hit the market. Bring on the Storm 2, 3, 4....I'll get interested when my contract expires.
    Well said. =)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 10:38 AM
    Then why would Verizon be talking about supporting VCast on it?

You guys aren't looking at the context of this statement. It is in reference to Verizon's MOD (Mobile on Demand, aka VCast) service.

This says that the next VCast-capable Berry is the Niagara, and the next after that is the Storm 2, both expected in 2009. For the Niagara, at least, VCast will be a download from the App Center.

It does not say that the Apex will not be on Verizon -- it says that the Apex (Flip 8230) will not support VCast, because the Apex flip runs 4.6, not 4.7.

What this says: "HQ" expects the Storm 2 this year, and that it will support VCast.

What it does not say: that the Storm 2 will be released this year. There is a broad gulf between expected delivery and actual delivery in the phone world. The Storm is a prime example.

Also, 12 months to a new version/revision is not unusual for high-end phones, and it does not mean that the Storm will no longer be carried. HTC WinMo phones are a good example -- they generally release a new version (Touch, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, TouchHD, Touch Diamond 2, Touch Pro 2) each calendar year. See also Samsung Omnia vs. OmniaHD.

EDIT: for those thinking that this document could be a fake--this would be a pretty lame way to fake a corporate leak about the Storm 2.
    Last edited by Revolutionary; 03-03-09 at 11:22 AM.
    03-03-09 11:18 AM
    Some people were saying the code name was 'Onyx' this just confirmed it for me.
    The 8230 is the Apex. Onyx is completely different, you'll be seeing more about that later.
    03-03-09 11:40 AM
    If that is true... Shame on verizon... We should be able to upgrade our storms since the os was no where near stable... Imo of course...

03-03-09 11:46 AM
    Hmm.....I can't seem to find this "corprate document".
    03-03-09 11:49 AM
    Same thing happened with the iphone

the must have nows rushed out and bought it, got tied into a two year contract, paid over the odds on calls and everything else and then a short time later the 3g came out.. still within the two year contract date

Technology, get caught in the race..be prepared to spend more getting 1st

Considering how many issues there are with the out of the box storm it makes perfect sense a follow up would happen soon..lets hope blackberry have learnt thier lesson
    03-03-09 11:51 AM
    Rodger rodger!
    03-03-09 11:52 AM
    i wanna see what this storm 2 is... ****. i just got the first one!! damnit. now i getta get another one, lol. thats cool with me. the wife...... not so much, lmao
    03-03-09 11:53 AM
    Then why would Verizon be talking about supporting VCast on it?
    Just because it's targeted for euro users doesn't mean it will not come out in the states. It can do exactly what this generation Storm has done (One for EU(GSM) and one for US (CDMA)). It's called something like the Stormslider in internal papers. This was shown on BGR.
    03-04-09 02:03 AM
    Hmm.....I can't seem to find this "corprate document".
    Are you a VZW employee? If its not there then i dont know what to tell you. I wouldnt bother faking something like this. Amazing how skeptical some people can be...as if you really werent expecting this to arise sooner or later.
    03-04-09 02:06 AM
    i will be seriously pissed off if they release storm 2 less than 1 year release of storm 1

03-04-09 02:31 AM
    i will be seriously pissed off if they release storm 2 less than 1 year release of storm 1

Not gonna happen. It's a typo, relax and enjoy your Storm :-)
    03-04-09 03:51 AM
    True...but I guess its a start? Maybe I did just dig my own grave...but whatever, it gives us something fresh for now.

Question: By them saying that they will only support Niagra and Storm 2...what does that mean for the Storm 1?
    IF this is even true... than it means that once they stop supporting the Storm 1 i can just call my insurance n theyll tell me oh sorry but we dont support the Storm 1 anymore well just send you the storm 2
    so either way idc but i find it hard to believe that theyll announce this with the storm 1 bein out for only a few months now
    03-04-09 04:01 AM
    That works out well since my new every two is available in november =)
    Last edited by ahampton2k; 03-04-09 at 06:02 AM.
    03-04-09 06:00 AM
    That works out well since my new every two is available in november =)
    VzW is lowering the discount amount on NE2 (if I am not mistaken, it is cut in half). So you better count on RIM's upgrade discount than VzW's NE2.
    03-04-09 06:43 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD