Hi All,

I have been considering the issue surrounding the DRM locked 9520 and hope someone can put me out of my misery....

Is the status of the phone being DRM or No DRM configured within the storm 2 engineering screens ?? and if so would it be possible to switch it to No Drm from within these screens??

From searching the forums it seems that the passcode generator to access these screens has been removed so I have been unable to check this out for myself.

Thanks for any help / feedback

Mrfruit.
    05-06-10 03:04 PM
    That's a very interesting thought, mrfruit! And it sounds almost to good to be true if it really was possible! But if things sound too good to be true, they probably aren't! And that's the same with this option.
    I tried it myself with a DRM 9520 and I could find no way you can switch from DRM to NoDRM within the escreen.
    The escreen just says: OMA DRM available (a NoDRM 9520 shows you: DRM not available, no BB-button possible) and after pressing the BB-button a menu pops up telling you something about Provisioned for OMA and Not provisioned for janus, and the only thing you can do is wiping your SFS.
    That's all I could find out. It looks like the only way to get rid of DRM is to unbrand (software-wise) the 9520, which is, again, not possible at the moment.
    05-07-10 03:41 AM
    I was in that screen just yesterday... there is a DRM part, but it doesn't let you change anything. Well I could find no way.

Unless there is another one of those codes that you type in, that doesn't show up on the screen.

05-07-10 05:17 AM
    Hi Andiah,

Thanks for the thorough reply and for taking the time to give this a go.

I did think that if it was as straight forward as this someone would have discovered it already.

Oh well - guess i'm stuck waiting for a DRM leak then!!

Thanks again.

Mrfruit.

PS - you dont have any DRM OS builds higher than 580 do you ?
    05-07-10 05:20 AM
    I was in that screen just yesterday... there is a DRM part, but it doesn't let you change anything. Well I could find no way.

Unless there is another one of those codes that you type in, that doesn't show up on the screen.

Hi Robinm,

I thought someone with more knowledge than myself would probably have tried this already..... oh well we sit and we wait....

Mrfruit
    05-07-10 05:22 AM
    Hahah, funny that someone pointed this out now. Actually I had tried this back when I first got my Storm2. I decided to take another look at it at some point, but gave up as it seems to be a fixed variable.

At around the times .428 leaked I had hooked javaloader with custom code that allowed me to disassemble Engineering Screen contents (including everything else that's happening, of course). Indeed it was possible to set the OMA DRM variable to disabled, however once doing this and re-accessing the Engineering Screen (or rebooting the software) the device would boot with a white screen stating some type of error code and required wiping. It could be the wrong memory address I was poking, however I believe it is not entirely impossible to do it, as in 'break' the DRM. I've yet to do it and am not planning to do it either: simply not worth the effort -- hybrids do fine for the time being. Besides .580 from Vodafone Egypt is excellent, I have zero issues with it. Hopefully you with less luck find other ways around the DRM issue.
    05-07-10 06:13 AM
    Did you try installing a nonDRM firmware when you wiped it?

Does anyone know whether nonDRM handsets can run DRM firmware?
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 05-07-10 at 06:31 AM.
    05-07-10 06:29 AM
    @kriptikchicken I didn't try that. I know for a fact though that a non-DRM handset can run DRM firmware and the opposite is true as well. However there is this certain switch blocking either way. What needs to be done first is analyze the radio files in the Java package and determine the way DRM authentication is implemented. In theory it is possible to crack the DRM outside the BlackBerry and 'convert' DRM firmware to non-DRM firmware and vice versa.
    05-07-10 06:42 AM
    i would love to see this solved. i still cannot understand why vodafone went for drm anyways.
    05-07-10 06:11 PM
    i still cannot understand why vodafone went for drm anyways.
    For the same reason we wish they hadn't....

1. Minimal ability to use leaks
    2. Zero ability to use other companies official releases.
    05-07-10 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD